The FLY has been performed on 3 different guitars...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
1) Les Paul during Elevation

And 2 others I can't seem to think of...

But here's the thing, it hasn't sounded this great until Edge started using the guitar on Vertigo. I think the Fly on the Vertigo tour is the best (musically), if it had Bono's vocals from ZOOTV it would be dream...

the zoo tv guitar edge used was a fender stratocaster, i believe some sort of eric clapton signature or something?

the zoo tv version cant be beaten, i think they should do it the way they did back then!

quadcaster said:
the zoo tv guitar edge used was a fender stratocaster, i believe some sort of eric clapton signature or something?

the zoo tv version cant be beaten, i think they should do it the way they did back then!

I prefer the Elevation Tour version myself. I liked the slow build up and the more "metal;" sound Edge got playing a Les Paul. Also, a big factor was that Bono didn't play guitar on that song during that tour. Bono's playing especially when you hear it on the Vertigo live dvd is incredibly distracting and actually detracts from the song.

T.B.

quadcaster said:

Yep.. The Zoo-TV version was a Eric Clapton signature Strat with 3 Gold Lace Sensor pickups... These pickups are the reason why the Zoo-TV version is the best one...

And sure, the intro of the Elevation version was cool... But the tempo and beat of the Zoo-TV version (allong with Bono's guitar playing) makes it the best version for me...

I'm only a beginner when it comes to the guitar, but I've noticed that the elevation version was played in a higher key.

personally I think the lower key makes it sound better, and prefer both zoo and vertigo versions,

though funnily enough, the fly live during elevation was easily the highlight of the night.

The Vertigo versions have a real lackluster solo because the notes die out because of the hollow body.

The actual main riff is the best on Vertigo, but everything else bows at the feet of the Zoo Tv version, even Elevation gutted the thunderous intro, although it was cool in itself.

U2DMfan said:
The Vertigo versions have a real lackluster solo because the notes die out because of the hollow body.

The actual main riff is the best on Vertigo, but everything else bows at the feet of the Zoo Tv version, even Elevation gutted the thunderous intro, although it was cool in itself.

Yeah....the solo on Vertigo just isn't good. There's no wah, and it's kinda wimpy.

It's all about the Elevation Fly done in the Vertigo key.

I found the Elevation version to be the 'popped up' version of the Fly. It was like U2 doing a Kidz Bop version of a great song.

If this thread is about songs that has been played by several guitars what about .....

Sunday - Black Stratocaster ; W/B Stratocaster ; Les Paul Standard ; Telecaster ; And the vertigo telecaster
One - Gibson ES ; Gretsch Gentleman ; Les Paul Custom ; and now Les Paul Music Rising
Wowy - Infinite Guitar ; W/B Strat ; Les Paul Standard ; Fernandez Sustain 2 (blue in popmart , green in elevation) ; and now a new Strat

Btw about Fly
1-Vertigo
2-ZOOTV
3-Elevation

The only real good thing about Elevation version was the solo , the rest it was killing the song , edge wasn't getting the chords well with all that distortion.

Quick question - Does anyone know what he uses on the B-side for City of Blindling Lights in that 1992 Stella concert? Personally, I love all of these versions a lot. It is hard to pick just one. Love the Vertigo main riff, love the Elevation intro and solos, love the Zoo TV voice.

Roland of Gilead said:
Quick question - Does anyone know what he uses on the B-side for City of Blindling Lights in that 1992 Stella concert? Personally, I love all of these versions a lot. It

Since it was taken from a zootv concert mate I assume it was also the Strat with the Eric Clapton sign . As far as I Know Fly was played every concert with this guitar , besides I have this one and it does sound like any fly version of zootv , so I think it was it.

Roland of Gilead said:
Quick question - Does anyone know what he uses on the B-side for City of Blindling Lights in that 1992 Stella concert? Personally, I love all of these versions a lot. It is hard to pick just one. Love the Vertigo main riff, love the Elevation intro and solos, love the Zoo TV voice.

The Fly - Black and White Stratocaster
EBTTRT - Rickenbacker Fire Glo

gotta go with the vertigo version of the fly aswell, specially the first Sao Paulo show with bono playing at first, the laughing and then bam "Wheres the fly"

Ellay said:
I'm only a beginner when it comes to the guitar, but I've noticed that the elevation version was played in a higher key.

personally I think the lower key makes it sound better, and prefer both zoo and vertigo versions,

though funnily enough, the fly live during elevation was easily the highlight of the night.

I'm exactly opposite...I think the lower key on The Fly sounds much much worse. I'd love to hear the Vertigo version in the same key as the Elevation version actually..

In find it funny that people think the Vertigo version of the Fly to be so great. I always thought it sounded just like ZooTV...maybe I'm not listening close enough.

Regardless, I have always liked the Elevation version best...I love the long intro they did with the song on that tour.

The problem with elevation's fly is that is a bit much harsh to me , it didn't sound u2 , no wonder they dropped the song when they went to europe . Speaking as a guitarrist , I mean the version is very exciting , but it kills the chords , besides it's pretty different from the original album version , with all that wah-wah and improvisation stuff edge does in zootv and vertigo versions.

As far as I remember the snippet was during Discotheque so it must had been the Fernandez Sustain one.

J_NP said:
The problem with elevation's fly is that is a bit much harsh to me , it didn't sound u2 , no wonder they dropped the song when they went to europe .

Not true. They played it at 20 of the 33 European Elevation shows and dropped it when they went back to the US. It was last played on Elevation at the third-last show of the European leg in Glasgow, 2001-08-27.

The Vertigo version would surpass the ZooTV version if Bono moved around the stage instead of being stifled with the guitar

and you know, actually tried to sing the song.

Axver said:

Not true. They played it at 20 of the 33 European Elevation shows and dropped it when they went back to the US. It was last played on Elevation at the third-last show of the European leg in Glasgow, 2001-08-27.

What I meant it was they started to drop the song , should have used this word "started" . I mean before the 2nd leg it was played regularly , and in the 2nd leg several concerts wan't played , eventually being left in the 3rd leg .

I thought FLY was probably the highlight of the Boston DVD.

Seeing a couple shows within the first couple weeks of Elevation it was great to see fans scratching their heads trying to figure out which song it is before the riff hits.

Wasn't there a "3rd" guitar on the ZOOTV version?

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
Wasn't there a "3rd" guitar on the ZOOTV version?

I think it's just a guitar track from the Achtung album, but yeah, during the chorus, Edge isn't playing and Bono isn't plugged in ;-)

Someone needs to make an MP3 of the following...

Boston Fly intro -> Chicago FLY (music) -> ZooTV Fly (Bono's vocals)

Imagine that... :drool:

The most noteable change for The Fly is drumming, not what type guitar Edge use. The Zoo and Elevation versions had more or less the same drumming, while Larry plays completely different drums on Vertigo.

Back
Top Bottom