The European setlists - BIG DISAPPOINT - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > General Tour Discussions
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-23-2005, 04:43 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
zwervers2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 4,158
Local Time: 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip


no no, dont throw veritgo inbetween 2 hits Pride and Streets, throw Vertigo inbetween Bullet and Running to Stand Still. Those are two songs that weren't on the radio and aren't hits so most fans won't know them. If you throw Vertigo inbetween them the place will go crazzzzzy. I think anytime 2 non hit songs are played together, they need to throw Vertigo inbetween them because the majority of the crowd only knows the hits, and thats who U2 needs to play for.

So obviously the answer to the setlist problems is more Vertigo. The crowd loves it and goes crazy for it!!!
Setlist problem is solved!!!!!!!!

Thanks Chizip!
__________________

zwervers2 is offline  
Old 06-23-2005, 05:08 AM   #32
Acrobat
 
stevec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 468
Local Time: 04:34 PM


Oooh man here we go again!

Glasgow (for example) was a great show...I was there, so no-one is going to tell me otherwise. Believe me when I tell you I would bitch from the highest rooftops, if U2 delivered a sub-standard show in any way. Seriously, I'm a grumpy old bastard, I'd tell ya

We get one show in Scotland and even if we had more, I would still only be able to afford one. They played a great setlist, which encompassed the songs that I grew up listening to and love so much. They play for the masses, which as much as you might hate it, includes new fans who may only be hearing U2 live for the very first time. Who are we to demand otherwise?

Why then, should U2 cater to people who are going to as many gigs as they can, some 4, 5 and 6 times for example? Tho it's not mentioned in this thread, some people are saying they'll sell or trade some of their tix for 3rd leg venues, because they don't want to hear the same show twice or three times. U2 are appreciative of their fans, but it's unrealistic to imagine they'll change sets simply to appeal to multiple concert-goers.

I honestly don't understand this thing people have got about the tour being a "Greatest Hits Show". U2 won't and never have, played every song from every album. There are in all likelihood, new songs they would want to play but feel they couldn't do them justice in a live setting. Why has no-one considered that U2 are simply trying to make sure they give a good performance?

It's a 2hour or 2 hour + show they play, so they are going to fill the gaps between new songs, with the songs that have had a great reception in the past. Er, that would be their "Greatest Hits" then surely, wouldn't it folks? I didn't hear too many complaints in here when the lads resurrected An Cat Dubh, "40" or Zoo Station for example, which was never a single release as you all know! Even during Elevation, they brought back "Out Of Control" to a rapturous welcome.

I know there are songs I would like to hear or more accurately, songs I wouldn't like to hear again, so I understand some of the frustration (to a point). But look at it this way, they get 2 hours apprx to make sure they entertain, so it just makes sense that they choose tried and tested songs with broad appeal.

I don't even want to get into the Vertigo2 arguement AGAIN.
__________________

stevec is offline  
Old 06-23-2005, 05:15 AM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier
 
kellyahern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Posts: 34,698
Local Time: 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by stevec


Oooh man here we go again!

We're going to have threads like these until the tour is over, aren't we? And started by the same few people everytime.

People are entitled to their opinions, but aren't there like 5 other threads already on this topic that can be continued besides starting a new thread like this every week?
kellyahern is offline  
Old 06-23-2005, 05:19 AM   #34
Acrobat
 
stevec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 468
Local Time: 04:34 PM
^ What Kelly said
stevec is offline  
Old 06-23-2005, 05:25 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: gone
Posts: 17,902
Local Time: 10:34 AM
I don't really buy the whole "U2 needs to play to the masses" theory

The masses are idiots. The masses sit on their hands during the best part of the show, the Zoo Station/Fly combo.

Wouldn't U2 rather put on a great show for the fans who have stuck with them through the years, who own all of their cds, who buy fanclub memberships and merchandise, who actually know words to An Cath Dubh rather than the fans who only know the radio songs and thought they would be "cool" by going to a U2 concert?

I know if I were in a band I'd want to make my real fans happy rather than the wannabe fans who go to the bathroom during An Cath Dubh.
Chizip is offline  
Old 06-23-2005, 05:26 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: gone
Posts: 17,902
Local Time: 10:34 AM
edit - woops, sorry
Chizip is offline  
Old 06-23-2005, 05:33 AM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier
 
kellyahern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Posts: 34,698
Local Time: 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
I don't really buy the whole "U2 needs to play to the masses" theory

The masses are idiots. The masses sit on their hands during the best part of the show, the Zoo Station/Fly combo.

Wouldn't U2 rather put on a great show for the fans who have stuck with them through the years, who own all of their cds, who buy fanclub memberships and merchandise, who actually know words to An Cath Dubh rather than the fans who only know the radio songs and thought they would be "cool" by going to a U2 concert?

I know if I were in a band I'd want to make my real fans happy rather than the wannabe fans who go to the bathroom during An Cath Dubh.
But they did do this. In the US, they played An Cath Dubh, The Ocean, Gloria, Electric Co. . . . This tour, they've played more non-single, more "obscure" songs than they did with Elevation.

As for Europe, they're only just finishing up the second full week of the 3rd leg. And by reading the fan reviews on www.u2tours.com, it seems the European reviews are even better that the US ones so far.
kellyahern is offline  
Old 06-23-2005, 05:35 AM   #38
Forum Moderator
 
ramblin rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 12,862
Local Time: 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by stevec
:I didn't hear too many complaints in here when the lads resurrected An Cat Dubh, "40" or Zoo Station for example, which was never a single release as you all know! Even during Elevation, they brought back "Out Of Control" to a rapturous welcome.

Well, my flight was cancelled (who the fuck knows why) and now I'm not leaving until 1:15PM. I'm so lucky I can continue to enjoy the setlist moan fest.

Back to the point. What's funny stevec is people were moaning about An Cat Dubh and even Out of Control.

How many times did I read on here during the shows where they played An Cat Dubh that it brought the show whole down because most of the people at the arena didn't know it and then it took a few songs to get the crowd back in it. Even Out of Control people said, omg why did they pick Out of Control (which has only played once) they played it during Elevation why couldn't they play another song.

It's hysterical to read this.

So there are lets say 50,000 people in the stadium. Let's say for sake of argument that 10,000 are diehard fanatics like the people on this board, they play this perfect diehard setlist but there are 40,000 people who have no idea what these songs are. Guess what, the next day everyone would be bitching that although the setlist was great the show sucked because most of the crowd were sitting down looking dumbfounded because they didn't know more than half the songs.

And then God forbid some of the obscure songs weren't the ones that all of the diehards wanted to hear, so 20 or 30% on any given night of even the diehards would also be pissed.

The setlist bitching is absolutely pointless, but I guess it passes the time.
__________________
ramblinrose[at]interference.com
ramblin rose is offline  
Old 06-23-2005, 05:37 AM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier
 
kellyahern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Posts: 34,698
Local Time: 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ramblin rose




The setlist bitching is absolutely pointless, but I guess it passes the time.
I notice the amount of setlist bitching seems to increase when we have a few days without any shows. Maybe it does help pass the time .


Bummer about your flight rose .
kellyahern is offline  
Old 06-23-2005, 05:38 AM   #40
Acrobat
 
stevec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 468
Local Time: 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
I don't really buy the whole "U2 needs to play to the masses" theory

The masses are idiots. The masses sit on their hands during the best part of the show, the Zoo Station/Fly combo.

Wouldn't U2 rather put on a great show for the fans who have stuck with them through the years, who own all of their cds, who buy fanclub memberships and merchandise, who actually know words to An Cath Dubh rather than the fans who only know the radio songs and thought they would be "cool" by going to a U2 concert?

I know if I were in a band I'd want to make my real fans happy rather than the wannabe fans who go to the bathroom during An Cath Dubh.
In principal I agree, but U2 want/need new blood too. I've noticed here in the UK that the Best Of 1990-2000 DVD has re-entered the sales charts again. Now that's gotta be the new blood, 'cause it's not the die-hards buying it after being released so long ago.

If that's the case, U2 want to capitalise on this by playing to those masses which let's not forget, STILL includes us. If U2 are to survive another decade, they need new fans to replace the ones who will inevitably fall by the side of the road.

Even Bono said that fans left the band when AB hit the shelves, as it was too much of a departure for them to take. My cousin for example (who got me into them in 85) was one of those who despised U2 after that. Shame, I think he missed U2 at their most creative.

Even during the Zoo TV and Popmart tours, "greatest hits" songs were still being played at the concerts, so we're really not seeing anything particularly new happening now.

Meet you here for the same threads during the next tour?
stevec is offline  
Old 06-23-2005, 05:40 AM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier
 
kellyahern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Posts: 34,698
Local Time: 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by stevec




Meet you here for the same threads during the next tour?
Rose found a "bitch and moan" newsgroup thread on google circa Zootv tour. It was really funny to read
kellyahern is offline  
Old 06-23-2005, 05:41 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: gone
Posts: 17,902
Local Time: 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern


But they did do this. In the US, they played An Cath Dubh, The Ocean, Gloria, Electric Co. . . . This tour, they've played more non-single, more "obscure" songs than they did with Elevation.

As for Europe, they're only just finishing up the second full week of the 3rd leg. And by reading the fan reviews on www.u2tours.com, it seems the European reviews are even better that the US ones so far.
You're right, and I'm grateful for that, it's made me rediscoover what a great album Boy really is.

I guess I'm just thinking of the "classics" Pride, SBS, One, Bullet, etc... all just seem so stale and tired on this tour that it would be better if they rotated them with other hits that haven't gotten as much airplay over the years.
Chizip is offline  
Old 06-23-2005, 05:44 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
zwervers2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 4,158
Local Time: 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by stevec


I didn't hear too many complaints in here when the lads resurrected An Cat Dubh, "40" or Zoo Station for example, which was never a single release as you all know! Even during Elevation, they brought back "Out Of Control" to a rapturous welcome.
That's my main complaint stevec. They don't play them anymore in europe...they dropped gloria, Bad, cat dubh/into the heart, ocean, 40..

I thought the setlist in the USA was fine, of course they play the songs they know best...but the beginning of the US tour indicated great things to come. you can come with every argument there is to imagine but the fact remains: the setlist in europe thusfar is not good. And if I hear Bono saying in chicago that they would shake up things because it won't do if they put on the same show it makes me a bit annoyed .Hell he even called the US-concerts rehearsels compared to what to expect in Europe. Maybe I've been misinformed the last couple of weeks and do they play 26 songs each night with major shake ups I don't know...
zwervers2 is offline  
Old 06-23-2005, 05:44 AM   #44
Acrobat
 
stevec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 468
Local Time: 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ramblin rose



Well, my flight was cancelled (who the fuck knows why) and now I'm not leaving until 1:15PM. I'm so lucky I can continue to enjoy the setlist moan fest.

Back to the point. What's funny stevec is people were moaning about An Cat Dubh and even Out of Control.

How many times did I read on here during the shows where they played An Cat Dubh that it brought the show whole down because most of the people at the arena didn't know it and then it took a few songs to get the crowd back in it. Even Out of Control people said, omg why did they pick Out of Control (which has only played once) they played it during Elevation why couldn't they play another song.

It's hysterical to read this.

So there are lets say 50,000 people in the stadium. Let's say for sake of argument that 10,000 are diehard fanatics like the people on this board, they play this perfect diehard setlist but there are 40,000 people who have no idea what these songs are. Guess what, the next day everyone would be bitching that although the setlist was great the show sucked because most of the crowd were sitting down looking dumbfounded because they didn't know more than half the songs.

And then God forbid some of the obscure songs weren't the ones that all of the diehards wanted to hear, so 20 or 30% on any given night of even the diehards would also be pissed.

The setlist bitching is absolutely pointless, but I guess it passes the time.
I kinda look at songs like An Cat Dub, Zoo Station, Out Of Control, et al, as being the pay-off for us die-hards, while the remainder of the show is new songs and greatest hits. I can see U2 trying to appeal to us (die-hards) while still appealing to the newbies in playing these songs. It's always going to be a balancing act I guess.

Shame about your flight...I have so little patience when things like that happen and I worked in airlines for 8 years LOL
stevec is offline  
Old 06-23-2005, 05:46 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: gone
Posts: 17,902
Local Time: 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by stevec


In principal I agree, but U2 want/need new blood too. I've noticed here in the UK that the Best Of 1990-2000 DVD has re-entered the sales charts again. Now that's gotta be the new blood, 'cause it's not the die-hards buying it after being released so long ago.

If that's the case, U2 want to capitalise on this by playing to those masses which let's not forget, STILL includes us. If U2 are to survive another decade, they need new fans to replace the ones who will inevitably fall by the side of the road.

Even Bono said that fans left the band when AB hit the shelves, as it was too much of a departure for them to take. My cousin for example (who got me into them in 85) was one of those who despised U2 after that. Shame, I think he missed U2 at their most creative.

Even during the Zoo TV and Popmart tours, "greatest hits" songs were still being played at the concerts, so we're really not seeing anything particularly new happening now.

Meet you here for the same threads during the next tour?

Thats funny that you mentioned the best of 90-00 has reentered the charts since they havent played any songs on the tour from between late '91 to '00

I understand that they have to play a lot of their hits. But they have so many hits that we don't need to be hearing Pride for the billionth time, rotate in another hit for it.

And you know U2 doesn't need to sell the hit songs to the audience, they already know and love them. Play some the songs that kick ass the most of the audience hasnt heard, and maybe that could inspire them to check out those songs and the rest of their catalogue.
__________________

Chizip is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com