The Ellipse Random Draw Policy … a look back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

retro

The Fly
It was almost a year ago when U2 announced it was going to have a random draw policy for the ellipse. I recall a lot of hardcore U2 fans were upset by this new system. However, there were a few (such as myself) who thought it was a refreshing change from the Elevation system.

What I liked about it was that everyday people got a better shot at it. Not everyone can get out of work to line up in the morning. It made the playing field a little more level. It also made it fair for those people who were only able to attend 1 show ...and not cater to the people who have already seen 10 shows on the tour.

Now of course, the reason the band SAY they did it was to have fresh faces inside the ellipse every night. They were figuring it would probably help with the energy level at each show. I attended 3 shows myself this tour and I did notice the crowds on the floor were much more excitable then in previous tours. It was a nice cross section of young & old …and hardcore fans mixed with fair-weather fans.

So now that we’ve had a year to fully digest the new system has anyone changed their minds?? We’re you one of those people that didn’t think it was a good idea…then changed your mind? Or did u like the idea but after seeing it in action you were not so impressed anymore??

My personal opinion: I liked the idea when it was announced and I grew to LOVE the idea when I saw it in action. In fact, I would say some of the highlights of going to U2 shows were watching people jump for joy and go absolutely crazy when their tickets scanned positive for access to the ellipse.

Last edited:
It wasn't all bad I suppose. You could show up at 5 in the evening and be right at the tip or near the stage.

Anyway, the random ellipse drawing isn't a big deal if you organize your group of 8 people to begin with. Who cares about random drawing when they let 3 or 4 people in per posotive scan :wink:

ok how many more million times are we going to beat this dead horse again? :banghead: Please scroll back through the pages here or do a search on the topic if you are interested in what people had to say on it...:madwife:

:huh:.. Sorry but this subject that has been talked about way to many times on a bunch of other threads on the same exact thing...:scream: :tsk:

you know what.... i dont hang out here all the time. perhaps there are other people who have not shared their feelings on the issue yet. for example ... the person who posted above you.

if you don't like a thread, then skip over it. is that so hard?

Last edited:
retro said:
you know what.... i dont hang out here all the time. perhaps there are other people who have not shared their feelings on the issue yet. for example ... the person who posted above you.

if you don't like a thread, then skip over it. is that so hard?

It would be common sense to maybe look and see if this topic has been done or talked about already. Doesn't take that much effort. I mean its the end of the tour you would think that maybe it has been brought up before.

It's just really annoying to see all these similar threads out there when all it takes is a little looking back on whether it has discussed.

FYI: This thread is either going to get merged or closed because of the fact that there are many threads on the topic already here.

It might be"common sense" for you... but it's not a prerequisite for posting on this forum. Nor will I ever go through pages of threads just to make sure I haven't repeated a topic to satisfy the likes of yourself, who probably make up a minority on this forum anyways.

As I said before, if you don't like it, don't enter the thread. No one is making you click on the link to come in here. There are hundreds of other topics on this board for you to discuss whatever is on your mind. Hell, I have a better idea... you should create your own thread about terrible people like myself who create threads on topics that have already been talked about. This disscusion would be more suited in a thread like that, then in here.

If the Op's on this board feel the need to merge this topic with another one, then so be it. I won't be the least bit offended.

never said that you were a terrible person. So don't start up something that isnt there.
Everyone has a right to voice their opinion and whether I post here or not is up to me. And that is all that I am doing. No need to get hot either. Because I am certainly not attacking you just voicing something that has been done too many times .
Never said its a prerequisite to start up a topic its just more of a courteous thing to do more than anything...

I will pipe in and say I am with U2FANATIC......this particular subject has been beaten to death and there are DOZENS of topics on all facets of the elipse and its system, what people thought, polls whether they liked or didn't like it. Also before anyone goes getting their panties ina knot over what some of us are saying, I usually DO check (Interference has a great built in SEARCH Engine system) before starting a new topic thread here.

I was at 5 shows this tour, one GA and scanned into the elipse. My opinion is that it worked 50/50. Those die hard fans worked the system and made it in front of the stage show after show....there's no keeping them away and I give them all the credit for their systems working and their love of the music and the band. I believe we got in because my sister had broken her foot a month before the show and we got pushed and shoved once into the elipse so we ended up retreating to the back but it didn't spoil our experience in the least bit. I'd do it all over again.

No one is ever going to be completely happy about what the band or the tour promoters ever choose to do. U2 fans are so lucky that the band builds their stage sets to make the concert experience a more intimate magical show for their fans by allowing a percentage so close to the stage areas.

Hope the mods catch this and merge or close it.

:lock: :lock: :lock:

::banghead:

I respect that you might not post often and were not aware that there were many, many, many, many, many threads on this topic. the reaction from U2Fantatic and Carek is one that many people (including me) share...it's just SUCH a dead horse. No one ever agrees on anything and it's been discussed since March of 2005. You are right, I could skip it if I'm sick of it--but for informational purposes, you would find lots of banter about this if you do a search under "ellipse policy" "ellipse poll" "lottery sucks" "I :heart: the lottery" or "discussing the lottery is beating a dead horse" :wink:

Keep in mind that the original poster is not a premium member and does not have access to the search function. Not that it would be that hard to find similar threads, but they can't search. And it was titled "A look back"

Chrisedge said:
Keep in mind that the original poster is not a premium member and does not have access to the search function. Not that it would be that hard to find similar threads, but they can't search. And it was titled "A look back"

thank u!

Thank you Carek and Ruffian!!!!!!!!!! :hug: to you both...Sheesh..:huh: As ruffian mentioned this subject has been beaten to death and nobody can ever agree on this. If you should decide to do a search on this subject you will see how the majority feel about this topic. As well as other opinions...Just typing in "ellipse" will bring ya load of threads on this very topic..The search window is at the bottom of this forum's page.

It has been practically a year of discussions on this as mentioned. So you haven't been around for a year is what you are saying?

since this has become a 'let's crap on the new guy' session, let's just end it. i'll start another thread when i think of something much more original.

Chrisedge said:

ok will give him that. But like you said it doesnt take much for someone to look back a couple or few pages to see if the topic has been discussed.
I mean its been a year and one doesn't even think for a sec "maybe this topic has been brought up before?"

to me, the words: "look back" really don't make it any different from the other million threads on the very topic..

.....back on subject.

I liked the lottery system because if you did arrive late it gave you the chance of being in the front. Even though that didn't happen for me.

I did ga twice the first time I was in line all day and got scanned in and got a spot on the rail the next night got in line at 6 pm and didn't scan in and was next to the sound board but it was still ok.

So i guess if I didn't get scanned in after waiting in line all day I would probably be against the lottery.

I guess it just all depends.

Last edited:
Chrisedge said:

good point...i should have noticed that.

but really, i'm not trying to crap on ya, new guy (not that you are *that* new). we're just weary.

hey, Chris, i saw you at Kells in Portland! But I did not know who you were at the time. U2RulesMyWorld got some great pics of you :wink:

retro said:
since this has become a 'let's crap on the new guy' session, let's just end it. i'll start another thread when i think of something much more original.

if you want to take it that way go ahead. We are not trying to "crap on the new guy". So please don't take offense. These are NOT personal attacks on you. Just voicing our opnions on the subject at hand. :huh:

Chrisedge said:

I didn't realize that either, and I apologize. However I don't like being accused of "shitting on the new guy". That is NOT what I was intending at all. I share with the others in that this subject has just been so over beaten. We can all get along.:wink:

The way I see it, some fans cheated (or "worked the system" if you want to put it more politely) with the lottery, but people did the same thing during the Elevation Tour. There are always going to be cheaters. At least with the lottery people who might not have had a chance to get in otherwise because they don't have the means to travel to multiple shows and/or get there really early had a chance to get into the ellipse.

That being said, there's no excuse for the band not announcing the lottery until people were in line for the first show.

Bono's shades said:
That being said, there's no excuse for the band not announcing the lottery until people were in line for the first show.

oh but that was so much FUN for us!

:|

i'm a single mother working full-time who doesn't even own a car that would make it the 600 miles or so that it took me to get to san diego on opening night to stand (i'm sorry, SLEEP) in that GA line (on easter sunday no less), because i wanted it THAT BAD. but no, i wound up outside the rail, three deep, watching the ellipse fill up with people i never even saw in line.

nothing pisses me off more than the "i'm too busy to stand in line all day to see U2, therefore, the lottery is great" argument.

it's bullshit.

fuck the lottery and fuck the lottery threads.

nothing makes me happier to read a post by a disgruntled fan who's only arguement is "it's bullshit"

I'm glad Europe got the first come, first serve policy. It somehow seems morally wrong to give people who cannot be arsed to go the extra mile to get in line early a good spot over those who did get in line early.
And if U2 doesn't like to see familiar faces night after night then they should quit playing live, retire or get a day job. Cause the familiars are the people who will stick with the band come good or bad, whereas the casuals will abandon the band come the next hip trendy act.

That's just my 2 cents.

retro said:
nothing makes me happier to read a post by a disgruntled fan who's only arguement is "it's bullshit"

well maybe if you had read the OTHER lottery threads before posting this one, you would have seen my OTHER arguments.

:down:

My only beef is, it didn't stop the regulars from making it up front. Either knowing how to get the bands from crew members, re-using bands, or some other "cheat". If it had been truely random, it might have been better. If Bono recognized the "regulars" up front at the last show, and commented on it.

:)

bonosgirl84 said:

well maybe if you had read the OTHER lottery threads before posting this one, you would have seen my OTHER arguments.

:down:

Ooooh, u got me good. burn on me!!! It's odd how people are so angry with this thread...yet they keep posting in it. Hrmm?? If they really wanted to end the topic you would think they wouldn't respond. This topic would have evaporated and no one would have been the wiser.

It's funny how people think just because they are hardcore fans and pitched a tent they Deserve something. The band are happy for your support (i assume) but they don't owe you or anyone anything, especially a good place to stand on the floor. If anything you should be happy they don't charge an arm & leg for the right to be on that floor ...like most other major artists do.

edit : you're right

i don't care enough about this thread to continue posting in it

i think nb might be right

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom