Superfans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kakvox

Refugee
Anyone else think there should be a superfan concert in each city, because quite frankly, some of these people who go to the shows are sitting, not bringing any energy, only there to get wasted, etc. It drives me crazy. Imagine what the place would be like if the whole arena was full of die hards...:drool: :drool: I know this is being biased/somewhat stupid, but I also thought how cool it would be.

I kind of like that concept, but would offer a different twist -- I think it would be cool to have one or two nights in just one city where it was fan club only / die hard only -- not that I would have a clue how to allocate tickets --

It'd be kinda like a pilgrimage of sorts -- a central city, folks travel in from all over the place -- toss in some bootleg trading booths and trade show like booths for whatever purpose -- guest speakers from groups like Amnesty, One, Greenepeace etc for those that are interested. I'm not painting the greatest picture, but you probably get the idea.

I'd drop $40 on a fan club for access to something like that -- they could even keep the dang key chain.

So superfans have to jump up and down? I guess they are supposed to scream all night too, right? :eyebrow: :mad:

I get so irritated when some twit (not that I'm calling anyone here a twit) thinks his or her way of experiencing/participating in a show is the one true way to be a good fan. Each person has a different way of enjoying the same experience...don't be so quick to assume that the person next to you who is sitting down isn't a superfan simply because they don't act like you.

indra said:
So superfans have to jump up and down? I guess they are supposed to scream all night too, right? :eyebrow: :mad:

I get so irritated when some twit (not that I'm calling anyone here a twit) thinks his or her way of experiencing/participating in a show is the one true way to be a good fan. Each person has a different way of enjoying the same experience...don't be so quick to assume that the person next to you who is sitting down isn't a superfan simply because they don't act like you.

Hmm, just so we are all clear; I don't give a sh** HOW people act at the show; I just think it would be fun to get as many people as possible together that have followed U2 for a long time for a couple of night's worth of shows and some other relevant activities and comradarie.

I think your heart is in the right area - but I think your going to run into issues when classifying superfans.

Whenever I see those pictures of those crazy ass european shows - I wish I could capture that excitement minus the bodily harm factor.

HappyFatBono said:
I think your heart is in the right area - but I think your going to run into issues when classifying superfans.

Absolutely agreed -- let's see a U2 quiz, a U2 essay entitled "why I"m a superfan", ticket stubs from more than 3 tours, signed affadavits from friends and co-workers proving that you are U2 'certifiable'; that ought to cover it.

It'll never happen, but was fun to ponder if ever so briefly.

I'm not saying how people should or shouldn't enjoy the U2 show, to be more clear, I am just imagining a concert of fans knowing all the songs, lyrics, etc. The place would be wild and I think the band would feed off this.

I like the idea of a fan club type show it would be a great show.

But isn't the point of music to reach out. Reach out to new fans constantly. Touch hearts, and spread the word.

I was in a band and the crowd makes the show. Knowing there are "unbelievers" in the crowd was the challenge. You wanted to reach out and touch those that haven't heard of you. Now we were just a local band but we had a great following. But even for a big band like U2 I would think that having those diverse crowds would still to this day challenge you.

Pearl Jam did this with the first warm up show in boston before the vote for change tour. It wasnt until every ten club bought tickets who wanted to that the public onsale was held. It also cut down on scalping a bit for that specific show.

Now if only we could vote for the setlist on U2.com we'd have a concert! Woo Hoo :drool:

Lisa71 said:
Now if only we could vote for the setlist on U2.com we'd have a concert! Woo Hoo :drool:

Oh thats a great idea. Have us all vote for the 20 songs we want to hear....then have the band determine the best order for them.

"ticket stubs from more than 3 tours..."

Three tours? I'm 20... This seems a bit unfair! My parents wouldn't have ever taken me to a U2 concert as a child, even if they wanted to go. Secondly, I was finally old enough to see them on the Elevation tour, but my parents weren't going to drive me to LA to see them alone! :) Don't forget there are pretty passionate fans out there who are younger as well and haven't had the good fortune to be born early enough to have enjoyed 3+ tours!!

:)

But, you do run the problem of figuring these things out... So, I realize this is an exaggerated example of a theoretical thing... The other ideas sound fine though, haha!

I think it would be a cool idea though... I'd love to have tons of other people (edit: "superfans") around me singing along and havin' a good time...

BWU2Buffs said:

Hmm, just so we are all clear; I don't give a sh** HOW people act at the show; I just think it would be fun to get as many people as possible together that have followed U2 for a long time for a couple of night's worth of shows and some other relevant activities and comradarie.

I've listened to U2 since 1983 (granted, not so much recently -- paying more attention to another long time love now), but I have no need to jump up and down and scream for anyone. As I said before, each fan acts and reacts in a different way, and to me screaming, jumping up and down, and singing along (and everyone who does sing alson does it badly...ick!) has very little to do with how much or how little I like the music. I prefer to listen to the show...not scream over it.

indra said:

I've listened to U2 since 1983 (granted, not so much recently -- paying more attention to another long time love now), but I have no need to jump up and down and scream for anyone. As I said before, each fan acts and reacts in a different way, and to me screaming, jumping up and down, and singing along (and everyone who does sing alson does it badly...ick!) has very little to do with how much or how little I like the music. I prefer to listen to the show...not scream over it.

I cannot possibly imagine how you could become so defensive about your show activites based on the original post in this thread. He was clearly expressing an interst in attending a rare U2 show where the place was full of fans that simply had a passion as big as his for the band. He was in no way judging anyone's "fan qualifications" or ability to jump for 3 songs in row. He specificially mentioned the fans that use the show as an excuse to get wasted as undesireable. It was a great thought, perhaps viewing the world through rose colored glasses, but I enjoyed thinking through how it might work.

Frankly I am tired of this knee jerk reaction to anyone talking about the emotion of the crowd or how people react. In case anyone is reading this that hasn't been to a show...there is a decided lack of crowd enthusiasm. No one is blaming anyone or pointing fingers. This is not some random observation based on one night, but rather on the over 45 U2 shows my wife and myself have seen (as most recently as last night in Chicago). Ignore it if you want, but lashing out at those that are trying to figure out what it is, or more importantly candidly discuss fun scenarios where as an incredible experience would be had is sad.

I would wager the entire intent of this post was simply for fun and discussion and done partially tounge in cheek. U2 fans are really starting to make it not worth going to a U2 show these days. If only there was a way to drown out the world.

Thanks.

Last edited:
knox said:

I agree, we don't need two and a half hours of "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" with various 80s rarities thrown in.

I was going to include Acrobat in the setlist, but after what you guys said, maybe not ... :wink:

Lisa71 said:

REM have already done this. For one of their tours, fan club members (cos they've still got an actual FAN CLUB) got to vote over a number of months and then REM put those songs into their set list.

The best idea I've ever heard is that Elvis Costello had a "Chocolate Wheel" tour in the 80's. He had a big wheel on stage with his most popular songs, he would spin the wheel between every song and play songs as they fell.

U2 could do that - combine "Wheel of Fortune" and "Zoo TV" :drool:

cmb737 said:

I cannot possibly imagine how you could become so defensive about your show activites based on the original post in this thread. He was clearly expressing an interst in attending a rare U2 show where the place was full of fans that simply had a passion as big as his for the band. He was in no way judging anyone's "fan qualifications" or ability to jump for 3 songs in row. He specificially mentioned the fans that use the show as an excuse to get wasted as undesireable. It was a great thought, perhaps viewing the world through rose colored glasses, but I enjoyed thinking through how it might work.

Frankly I am tired of this knee jerk reaction to anyone talking about the emotion of the crowd or how people react. In case anyone is reading this that hasn't been to a show...there is a decided lack of crowd enthusiasm. No one is blaming anyone or pointing fingers. This is not some random observation based on one night, but rather on the over 45 U2 shows my wife and myself have seen (as most recently as last night in Chicago). Ignore it if you want, but lashing out at those that are trying to figure out what it is, or more importantly candidly discuss fun scenarios where as an incredible experience would be had is sad.

I would wager the entire intent of this post was simply for fun and discussion and done partially tounge in cheek. U2 fans are really starting to make it not worth going to a U2 show these days. If only there was a way to drown out the world.

Thanks.

Just what I meant, but better said. By the way, I'm a she :ohmy:

cmb737 said:

Thanks.

You win your bet; speaking solely for myself it is fun to dream of this kind of thing, but the logistics and 'superfan' decision would not be managable. It'd probably be like the GA Lottery debate on a huge steroid rage (-:

I am bummed that Axver decided to exclude Acrobat though; I was hoping to hear it. In fact, both 11 O'Clock and Acrobat would be fun to hear again.

:wink:

kakvox said:
Anyone else think there should be a superfan concert in each city, because quite frankly, some of these people who go to the shows are sitting, not bringing any energy, only there to get wasted, etc. It drives me crazy. Imagine what the place would be like if the whole arena was full of die hards...:drool: :drool: I know this is being biased/somewhat stupid, but I also thought how cool it would be.
:yes:
Great idea!
At the concert I went to during a couple of songs there wasn't anyone standing around us [me and a friend] we stood up the whole time and screamed our lungs out during all the ones appropriate of doing so. It was amazing :yes:
EDIT: But still,I highly ever doubt that would happen ... and what would determine a "superfan" ?

Last edited:
Re: Re: Superfans

U2ElevatesMe415 said:

: what would determine a "superfan" ?

The odds against you and if you can overcome them. Also going to many shows as possible. 2 for 2 when trying through the Bono system getting into the Ellipse. 2 for 3 when having a GA ticket. I have the best percentage on the tour getting into the Ellipse next to this dude that has been in the Ellipse 4 out of 8 times. He was #48 at Chicago #2 .

12 for 12? I don't think so. I think you are probably refering to Dan? that guy with the Joshua Tree tattoos?

Back
Top Bottom