Song highlight of vertigo tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
Just wondered wat alll those lucky enuff to have seen a show on the tour considered to be the 1 song highlight of the show. there are 24 or so highlights from hampden and every other show, but i narrowed it down to Running to a standstill. Just a gorgeous song live.

Id say our opening song, LAPOE. That was frickin awesome

New Years Day was amazing too. Never realized how much of a crowd favorite it was. The arena was going crazy through the entire song

Love and Peace
City of Blinding Lights
Elevation :reject:
Zoo Station and The Fly, back from ZooTV are really really damn cool too.
the return of Running to Stand Stil is great too :up:

Probably Love and Peace Or Else, and the Achtung Baby set.

I was also surprised at how much I liked the live versions of All Because of You and Yahweh, both improvements over the album versions.

2861U2 said:

New Years Day was amazing too. Never realized how much of a crowd favorite it was. The arena was going crazy through the entire song

ABSOLUTELY !! That's my all-time favorite !! :up: :hyper: :drool:

I'd also add the song Bad ... as that song was INCREDIBLE !! :applaud:

Zoo Station -- as someone who saw Zoo TV and who never dreamed she would ever hear this song played live again, this was the greatest four minutes of my life.

Love and Peace or Else is also incredible.

WOWY

so amazing. i think the WHOLE stadium sang along to that and lights made it extra special.

LAPOE was awesome too.

Love and Peace or Else is by far the most impressive song during the show because it is the only one that remotely sounds raw and under-rehearsed (a good thing for U2)

Running To Stand Still, without a doubt.
The crowd just goes from excitable to almost completely silent.
I thought it was magical when everyone sang back the 'ha la la la de day' parts. Very beautiful indeed.

miss becky said:
Zoo Station -- as someone who saw Zoo TV and who never dreamed she would ever hear this song played live again, this was the greatest four minutes of my life.

Love and Peace or Else is also incredible.

I haven't attended a show yet, but I predict that I will feel just the same way.
I can't wait to see Zoo Station.
Although I think that Streets or One or Sunday Bloody Sunday or New Year's Day will be the high point for me, I've never seen them live before and even if they aren't my favourite songs, the whole stadium is going to go nuts during these... It's those all-time greatest U2 hits, and hearing those live with 80.000 people chanting along will probably kill me.

But personally, the songs I just can't wait to hear are Zoo Station, The Electric Co. and Beautiful Day.

And I wouldn't mind Until The End Of The World :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

2 more days :hyper:

1stepcloser said:
WOWY

so amazing. i think the WHOLE stadium sang along to that and lights made it extra special.

LAPOE was awesome too.

What do they do with the lights during WOWY?

I would say COBL. The lights, confetti, and the tune itself make for a great U2 moment. Plus, the crowd seems to really like the song.

It must have been pretty exciting to hear the old classic version of Bad for the first time on tour, eh?

City of Blinding Lights for me. It was the opener, and it felt like I was transported to the land of U2 with the confetti raining down :)

Zoostation, The Fly, and Streets were also highlights.

I loved the Achtung Baby songs - The Fly and Zoo Station. My favorite era. Although City and New Years Day were also awsome. Do we really have to pick just one?

RTSS is a great choice. sounded as fresh and lovely as ever.

But if I had to narrow it down to just one song, I go w/ Gloooooria !!:drool:

absolutely GLORIA.... I've re-listened to the 5/18 bootleg so many times just to hear Gloria, , , the best song I've heard on the tour.

"2,3,4!!" ...just gives me the chills thinking about it

Numb1075, were you at that show?

Electric Co- Sounds amazing live, and the chance to sing along with Edge's backing vox in the chorus 'Electric Coooooo' is just too good! :wink:

The Fly- Sounds as great as it does...when the drums kick in after the guitar intro...wow!

COBL- The intro....wow...goosebumps!

WOWY- Really powerful on this tour, and its nice to hear it with a bit of power back in the track.

Yahweh- Not a fan of the album version, much prefer this.

Bad- Havent heard it on this tour yet...:( But from the boots, its sounding amazing, better than ever even!

RTSS- Just gorgeous, and its even more emotive when it closes and the declaration of human rights beginst to play.

Vertigo- Rocks. Enough said :drool:

LPOE- So, so much better than the album.

To narrow it down to one, i'd probably go for LPOE. Simply because of the vast improvement from record to live, it sounds great and Bono's drum work is...original... :drool:

Indeed I was.......

Bono says "this is off our first album (looks at Edge and laughs) um, our second album:lol:

haha yeah, i knew that was my one chance to hear Gloria (a second night show) and when he first said "first album" i was pissed but then when he corrected himself I nearly jumped two feet
.... were you on the floor Numb1075? ... wasn't that an amazing show, i seriously think those two NJ shows could be two of the best from the first leg, much better than NY or Philly

Of the new songs - Love and Peace or Else is the standout, but not by much over City of Blinding Lights.

Of the old songs - Bad. This song live is as good as it has been since the Lovetown days. Seriously. These (leg 1) are the best versions of Bad in a long time. I am damn lucky I got to experience this for Van 1.

What is it that makes "Bad" different this time around? I realize that Bono is singing it better...but there's something else. Personally I thought the ZooTV and Elevation versions were pretty awful, but it seems to have ressurected itself.

after Running To Stand Still at Denver 1, I turned to the couple behind me and said, "I forgot how powerful that song is."

That and SYCMIOYO...were very powerful.

The Electric Co. and The Fly kicked butt and The Edge was/is a ROCK STAR!!!!!!!!!!

1. The Fly - Maybe my favorite version of this song. My favorite U2 song. Perfect intro. I love how heavy, aggressive and rock n' roll this song is. I just love, love, love, love, love it!

2. The Electric Co. - Best surprise of this tour, I hope they keep playing it on the next tours. It's a great addition to the set. The minor changes on the song made it even better, especially towards the end which my be my favorite ending along with The Fly.

3. COBL - My favorite song from the record. I didn't like it live at first. It didn't live up to the studio version first in my opinion, but it sure is working now. The intro Edge came up with is great. And Larrys’s drumming is cool.

4. An Cat Dubh / Into The Heart - Another great addition to the set, this song has an unique feel to it that made the shows more epic like and even more interesting. The ACD/ITH - COBL - BD - MD moment was one of my favorites from the first leg. It worked perfectly. It's a shame they're not playing it anymore.

5. LAPOE - Heavy, loud and mean. My favorite opener of this tour. The "RELEASE, RELEASE, RELEASE" part with Larry singing with Bono is AWESOME! The whole deal of having Larry playing the tom and then switching and then having Bono playing it at the end is one of the best ideas U2 has ever had.

6. Vertigo - I love the spontaneity of this song live with Larry starting with no counting and the whole restart at the end after the SFB snippet. I also love how the crowd is singing both Bono and Edge's parts at the chorus!

7. Zoo Station - Larry made this song even better with his drumming. In my opinion him and Edge are at their best on this tour. Larry is really trying out new stuff. I really, really doubted that they could make this song better but Larry did it. His drumming at the beginning makes this song even more epic sounding.

8. Miracle Drug - The whole band seems to love playing this song and you can feel it, a great intro for Bono to talk with the crowd while Edge plays.

9. Elevation - I quite like this new version. I didn’t know this song was so popular. It's been 5 years since ATYCLB and most of the audience seems to know the lyrics and they even start the "WOO-WOOHOO" chant before Bono. I'm glad they're still playing this rocker.

10. Gloria - Great comeback, this song really pumps up the crowd, U2 needs songs that start like that, it works great in keeping the mood going after a sing a long song like Elevation. It sounds as good as it did in the 80's. They should still be playing it on this leg!

Back
Top Bottom