San Diego 1: The worst of seven U2 shows I have seen.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Europe is so great, why doesn't the band spend much time there?

Somtimes, the plain looking girl doesn't realize she is plain.

Europeans = bitching and whining crybabies.

DanB said:

America is the greatest market in the world. USA population is above 200 million. They sell a lot of records in there so it makes sense if they tour intensively in there.

And we never said we are better "fans" than you are. We just have a different way of watching a concert.

I was on the tip of the semi-circle. Bono walked by three times without directly looking into the audience -- just off into space. Edge walked out twice -- there was this corny bit where both he and Bono raised there fists into the air. I guess this is hat has replaced the great End of the world routine?? I hope not. The lighting was great, but I was not there for the lighting. I was there to interact with the music.. that didn't happen...

You know what? No one even triued to push me out of the way to get in fropnt of me.. I would rather have that than indifference....

You know the negativity really sucks in here! This is their first night trying to figure out how to do things and everyone is complaining.

Why don't you all be thankful that they are at least touring and performing for us?!

pulle28 said:
My comment concerning better crowd participation in Europe is not a provocation - it is mere bewilderment.
Watching the Boston Elevation DVD - especially the beginning. What's going on in the heart? Almost nothing!
I just don't get it. It is the beginning of the concert - everybody is supposed to jump up and down...
Then afterwards I put the Slane DVD on, and watch 80.000 people jump at the same time.
Now that's a remarkable difference...

Apparently you've never been to a show in Chicago, NYC, or San Francisco. And as far as the Boston DVD goes, as we all know, the majority of the people who were in the heart that night were put in there by security. The "pretty people" as some liked to call them. Not "true fans" or whatever. Boston shows are off the hook mad otherwise!

U2@NYC said:
I have to agree with the general 'passiveness' of American fans... actually, the ones that piss me off the most are those ones that leave when they hear the first "not greatest hits" song. Many of them did leave to the bathroom or to the Hot Dog stand when they played 'Kite' during Elevation... come on, Kite! One of the most emotional songs of ATYCLB! Those people drive me nuts... I wish they would rather stay home and have a damn Hot Dog there....

I agree...I saw R.E.M. at MSG 10 years ago and I never got over why the 4 people next to us were sitting down (with floor seats) and watching the concert as if they were at a Knicks game.

I want to be in that moment with the band and the audience....that is magical

romi said:
I was on the tip of the semi-circle. Bono walked by three times without directly looking into the audience -- just off into space. Edge walked out twice -- there was this corny bit where both he and Bono raised there fists into the air. I guess this is hat has replaced the great End of the world routine?? I hope not. The lighting was great, but I was not there for the lighting. I was there to interact with the music.. that didn't happen...

You know what? No one even triued to push me out of the way to get in fropnt of me.. I would rather have that than indifference....

I cant count how many times I've seen "staring off into space" in the middle of a tune. As far as pushing goes...I feel sorry for the lad that does. I'm a 10 year NIN vet...let them try it.

DanB said:

Worst post ever :drool:

well from the limited audio i have heard from the san diago gig in the setlist forum, the show sounded FANTASTIC

U2Girl1978 said:
You know the negativity really sucks in here! This is their first night trying to figure out how to do things and everyone is complaining.

Why don't you all be thankful that they are at least touring and performing for us?!

My thoughts exactly. :grumpy:

My God, people, lighten up. I'm intensely grateful that I'm even getting the chance to see U2 live. I don't even have GA (lower seats on the side directly opposite the stage) but that's not going to stop me from having a fucking good time! So what if the stage is a little similar to Elevation? The Elevation set up was great. And from the pictures I've seen, the lighting looks far superior to Elevation's.

with what I've seen of the setlist, the lighting, and the stage...this tour is going to easily be better than Elevation, and I LOVED that tour.

I heard audio clips, Vertigo was amazing with the SFB snippet and Electric Co sounded as raw as ever...amazing :drool:

Of course Bono is going to mess up some words on the first show, of course eventually he's going to get more comfortable with the stage and interact with the fans more....give it some time people...at least he didnt fall off the stage and almost break his neck like the last opener in Miami.

servo2005 said:

I agree...I saw R.E.M. at MSG 10 years ago and I never got over why the 4 people next to us were sitting down (with floor seats) and watching the concert as if they were at a Knicks game.

I want to be in that moment with the band and the audience....that is magical

if it was 10 years ago you should probably get over it by now...

people... who cares how other people spend their time at the concert. just care about how YOU spend the time at the concert. if you wanna go nuts and be an uber-dorky u2 fan, jumping up and down like a 12 year old girl who just got her titties... by all means... go nuts. if the person next to you wants to sit down the whole time... so be it. maybe he's got a bum knee or something and needs to sit down more often than not. :shrug: who knows... just enjoy the show for yourself.

AMAZING!! People are already getting crabby over a tour that has just started!!! I had seats in the back stage area last night and it was AWESOME!! If you are there to hear some great songs sung live with a great band then you will enjoy it from ANYWHERE you are at in the building!! No worries if you are in the back. Pretty clear and Bono really did give love to the back last night!! I'm a very, very happy (but tired) fan right now!!

Last edited:
The reason why European concerts are rowdier are for a few reasons, mainly because access to alcohol is so much freer in Europe. 18, 19, 20 year olds are drinking at the concerts, and it seems like everyone's a LOT more drunk at European concerts. Americans are a bit more civil, which I personally hate, I'd rather have the wild and crazy drunken soccar-lout holligan European crowds myself.

The bottom line is that everyone will feel differently.

Luckily I was left in awe because of the music. The crowd around me was into it the whole show and didn't sit down or even leave to buy anything during the entire show, (which amazed me since always in the Elevation shows I attended I had people constantly passing in front of me to buy beer).

The music was fantastic, and I'll have to focus on the stage maybe in my next show, as I was too mesmerized by the setlist during this show.

I think there was a lot of concentration by the band on what was going on because it was the first show, and as far as I could see there were very few mishaps. Bono almost dropped his microphone (I think it was during Sometimes) but managed to catch it back.

I was actually impressed with Elevation for the very reason Bono stated in the 2FM interview, because the crowd carried it.

I would probably say my only criticism was The Fly, I think he forgot a lot of the lyrics and in this one the audience couldn't help much.

Overall, I had a blast and my only regret is I have to wait until May 21 for my next show. My regret though is only tempered by the fact that by that time this show will be totally broken in and I can only imagine what's in store for me then.

Highlights for me were Love, Peace or Else, everything else off of HTDAAB, RTSS, The Boy stuff........or forget it, the whole show was made up of hightlights.

:shrug: I must just be lucky that I enjoyed it so much.

bostonmike4444 said:
The reason why European concerts are rowdier are for a few reasons, mainly because access to alcohol is so much freer in Europe. 18, 19, 20 year olds are drinking at the concerts, and it seems like everyone's a LOT more drunk at European concerts. Americans are a bit more civil, which I personally hate, I'd rather have the wild and crazy drunken soccar-lout holligan European crowds myself.

So we, Europeans, are more noisy because we are drunk???

Please don't make me laugh... again.

bostonmike4444 said:
Come on! What a load of crap! As if all European fans are drunk hooligans at concerts! The US people are sooo civil pffff.

The main reason why European concerts are rowdier is because they are ALL general admission... We don't know better! All the fuzz in America about the GA and it's procedure... In Europe is the most normal thing in the world and maybe we exploid the benefits better :wink:

That's true too - I said access to alcohol was "one of the reasons" not "the" reason for the increased rowdiness. And I'm just speaking from my own experience at shows in London and Brussels vs. shows in Boston and Philadelphia. In the US there are limits on the amount of alcohol you can buy, usually one or two cups of beer only per wait in line, and they shut off sales 3/4 way into the show. At the eurpopean shows I was at it seemed like everyone was drinking all the time! It was awesome, don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it at all, I LOVE the European attitude at concerts, it rocks!

and also on the elevation DVD it seemed to me that people in front weren't really into it that much, so i believe those who said that san diego GA crowd was "lame"!
To those who say that alcohol is the reason why european gigs are better than US ones: 4 years ago i didn't have to drink on Elevation because the feeling was soooo great alcohol would have ruined it man!!my opinion at least is if you're a great fan, the energy just boosts out from you!
good luck

PhoenixGNX said:

Apparently you've never been to a show in Chicago, NYC, or San Francisco. And as far as the Boston DVD goes, as we all know, the majority of the people who were in the heart that night were put in there by security. The "pretty people" as some liked to call them. Not "true fans" or whatever. Boston shows are off the hook mad otherwise!

Boston shows are indeed fantastic!! Recall, Boston 4 is where Diamond Dave ran up onto the heart ramp and then onto the stage (after he was tackled - hard - by security and subsequently rescued by Bono). Dave then lifted Bono up and carried him around. Many people thought he was a plant, but Dave stood in front of me (nicely blocking my view :madspit: ) and I know he wasn't a plant (he's also a member here and a big fan).

However, you are incorrect about the above. Not all "pretty people" were in the heart. A few select people were indeed chosen to go into the heart first. That's it and that's all. All those who waited to get into the heart STILL DID! However, they were ticked off because even though they went to 500 shows, they didn't get their "usual spot" right in front of Adam or Edge. Instead, they had a "normal" spot inside the heart. As such, these tremendous babies staged a protest by sitting down - inside the heart - during "Elevation". This is why you don't see the enthusiasm - in fact, Bono even says "come on" at one point. And I concur - those fans are the type that give all fans a bad name.

OMFG am sorry whoever says this is one of the worst shows, i have just heard the first part of the show and OMG its rocking, that intro is so i dunno words cannot describe it, goosebumps the lot, COBL works as possibly of the best openers of all time

bostonmike4444 said:

Please - football hooligans (it isn't soccer - it's football)? Very poor stereotype which demonstrates little or no knowledge of Europe. You are right about the crazy crowds though - Spanish and Italian especially by reputation (and no - they are not football hooligans either). Maybe Euro crowds are livelier because we aren't blessed with 80 shows on every tour and are just happy to be there.

cdparky said:

Maybe Euro crowds are livelier because we aren't blessed with 80 shows on every tour and are just happy to be there.
You seem to forget that Europe has far less inhabitants then the US! If you think of it, U2 does more shows on European soil...

In Holland they always play 3 shows, where Holland has only 15 million inhabitants! Then in Belgium they play 2, in Germany 3 and in the UK they also play 4 shows.. That is a minimum of 12 shows in a 150 mile radiate...

Neilz said:

You seem to forget that Europe has far less inhabitants then the US! If you think of it, U2 does more shows on European soil...

In Holland they always play 3 shows, where Holland has only 15 million inhabitants! Then in Belgium they play 2, in Germany 3 and in the UK they also play 4 shows.. That is a minimum of 12 shows in a 150 mile radiate...

Sorry, can't agree there. 60,000,000 people in the UK get 6 shows to fight over while NY gets 8 to itself - doesn't bother me much as I'm going to NY anyway but it's just a comparison. Europe does get underplayed, and there are more EU citizens than there are US citizens. Big difference IMO is stadiums vs arenas but that is a whole other debate that isn't appropriate in this thread.

These naysayers were at a different show than I was. My wife & I made it into the ellipse/egg/yolk/oval/etc. and we were bouncing the entire time. As far as fan interaction, Bono rolled around on the catwalk right in front of us, then flirted with my wife and reached out and touched her hand. Could've been the cleavage she was showing, but I think she was interacted with.;) We had a PHENOMENAL time.

cdparky said:

Sorry, can't agree there. 60,000,000 people in the UK get 6 shows to fight over while NY gets 8 to itself - doesn't bother me much as I'm going to NY anyway but it's just a comparison. Europe does get underplayed, and there are more EU citizens than there are US citizens. Big difference IMO is stadiums vs arenas but that is a whole other debate that isn't appropriate in this thread.
This may be the case, but for anyone in Europe is much easier to come see a show then in America... I can see about 15 shows living in Holland without traveling more then 150 miles...

Back
Top Bottom