MERGED --> Did anybody else get an email from total tickets to buy tickets now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really, really hope I don't have to resort to spending that kind of money. I actually signed up with totaltickets, but I didn't realize they were going to charge that much.

Total Tickets is an alternative source of tickets. U2.com membership does not mean YOU WILL get tickets... it only entitles you to the opportunity to buy tickets. We are promoting Total Tickets because we have a sponsorship deal with them. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to buy from or use Total Tickets.. however, if someone finds themselves without tickets for a show they want... they are open to use Total Tickets, or any other source, as an option. Atleast with Total Tickets you'll have your tickets prior to the show... with ETS you have to wait till you get to the show in a bus they provide (and pay about the same as Total).... and with the last tour, will most likely be late to the shows.. with no chance of getting in the 'heart'.

We have been promoting the fact that U2.com memberships entitle you to buy tickets all along, its not like we're strutting Total Tickets as the official source.

People will bitch about u2.com tickets, about not getting them, about ticketmaster fees, and about broker fees. Everyone is not always going to be happy.

Most of the fan sites have partnered with brokers or ETS (basically an official broker)... including U2station.com, atu2.com, U2log.com, and others.

u2log, atu2 and u2mart are all offering links to ETS... yes, true... but there is a big difference between ETS, which offers "official" travel packages for u2 events, sanctioned by the bands, and a ticket broker who's offering ticket for 5 times their worth BEFORE THE TICKETS ARE EVEN FOR SALE. that's not right, but not unexpected... afterall the TotalTickets.com banner has been on this site for a while now...

I was very very disheartened to find out that interference is allowing these people from totaltickets.com to charge an obscene price for U2 tickets. Scalpers and the link. My GOD! :madspit: :mad:

Wow, all the anger. If you don't want to pay scalper prices, don't. Many folks on here have paid more than face value for tickets, and I'm sure more will this tour. eBay, ETS, Totaltickets, private parties, they all charge more than face value. Heck, if I end up with 2 GA's using my U2.com membership, that will probably end up being close to $160-$180 for the 2 Tix, including the $40 to u2.com and ticketbastard fees. (almost twice "face value")

I'm with Interference on this one.......TotalTickets is another way to get tickets, and $200 for GA tickets (that might even sellout from U2.com preorders alone.....strike that WILL sell out) isn't too bad of a deal considering what a lot of acts charge right off the bat. I think the only nitpick I have is that the e-mail was sent out before the tickets even go on sale on U2.com.....had the e-mail been sent out after this weekend's sales, I think most people would be fine with it, as it would be one of the few sources left for tickets.

An email solicitation makes the arrangement btwn TT and Interference different from other U2 sites, where ETS or whomever simply advertises. They might exist, but I'm not getting solicited by them. I did get solicited by TT via Interference, and didn't appreciate it.

It was problematic for this email to go out the day before we go for the pre-show, preying on the nerves of anxious U2 fans. The way the email was worded, it sounded as though tickets are already available, which makes those of us hoping to benefit from the pre-sale even more nervous about availability.

If an email *had* to go out, it should have been Wednesday, after people had gotten/not gotten tickets.

If you don't want to recieve any more e-mails, you should be able to disable them by clicking here and then checking "No" next to "Allow Bulletin Board Administrators and Moderators To Send You Email Notices?"

Elvis said:
Total Tickets is an alternative source of tickets. U2.com membership does not mean YOU WILL get tickets... it only entitles you to the opportunity to buy tickets. We are promoting Total Tickets because we have a sponsorship deal with them. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to buy from or use Total Tickets.. however, if someone finds themselves without tickets for a show they want... they are open to use Total Tickets, or any other source, as an option. Atleast with Total Tickets you'll have your tickets prior to the show... with ETS you have to wait till you get to the show in a bus they provide (and pay about the same as Total).... and with the last tour, will most likely be late to the shows.. with no chance of getting in the 'heart'.

We have been promoting the fact that U2.com memberships entitle you to buy tickets all along, its not like we're strutting Total Tickets as the official source.

People will bitch about u2.com tickets, about not getting them, about ticketmaster fees, and about broker fees. Everyone is not always going to be happy.

Most of the fan sites have partnered with brokers or ETS (basically an official broker)... including U2station.com, atu2.com, U2log.com, and others.

My god -- don't you guys (Interference and the other sites) all realize that you are in bed with the companies mainly responsible for grabbing tickets away from real fans???? All for a buck. So incredibly disappointing.

Chizip said:

eh I just think getting an e-mail from interference.com saying tickets are on sale now, and giving a link to buy overly inflated tickets before tickets have even gone on presale is kind of shady

people who are new with the whole ticket buying process and trust interference could make the mistake of buying there before trying to get them straight up

I agree with this 100% I don't mind an email for/from Interference, but I do not have any agreement with any 3rd party "sponsors" that Interference uses, so they have all the liberty in the world to sell my email address and that just pisses me off. Shame on Interference for giving our email to 3rd parties.

It's insulting after what happened yesterday. Just plain insulting to recieve that email. I feel cheap, used, and like a sucker. Not the way a band should make their fans feel. And still not a word from them today. I am starting to wonder.

RobVox said:
I agree with this 100% I don't mind an email for/from Interference, but I do not have any agreement with any 3rd party "sponsors" that Interference uses, so they have all the liberty in the world to sell my email address and that just pisses me off. Shame on Interference for giving our email to 3rd parties.

The "sponsorship" arrangement probably included an obligation by Elvis to email Total Ticket information to all Interference members.

I wonder how much Elvis is paying for his tickets..... :wink:

nathan1977 said:
An email solicitation makes the arrangement btwn TT and Interference different from other U2 sites, where ETS or whomever simply advertises. They might exist, but I'm not getting solicited by them. I did get solicited by TT via Interference, and didn't appreciate it.

It was problematic for this email to go out the day before we go for the pre-show, preying on the nerves of anxious U2 fans. The way the email was worded, it sounded as though tickets are already available, which makes those of us hoping to benefit from the pre-sale even more nervous about availability.

If an email *had* to go out, it should have been Wednesday, after people had gotten/not gotten tickets.

I agree completely. I, even as a seasoned ticket buyer, panicked for a moment when I got the email thinking the presale had started early. The link for TT on the main page has always bothered me. To receive a solicitation from Interference was offensive and very shady. :down:

RobVox said:

Interference did NOT give your email address to anyone, we sent the email thats being discussed.

Mark Freedman said:

My god -- don't you guys (Interference and the other sites) all realize that you are in bed with the companies mainly responsible for grabbing tickets away from real fans???? All for a buck. So incredibly disappointing.

Elvis, do you not agree with this?

joyfulgirl said:

Elvis, do you not agree with this?

I think many people dont understand or realize the expense or time (also a cost) that most fan sites have put in over time. People just assume because they have always/mostly been idealistic and ad/sponsorship free that they will always be that way. Well... thats not reality. People want something for nothing, and have no regard for those putting money and/or time into running the sites they love. U2.com's forum yesterday shuttered its 'doors' most likely because of heavy traffic, yet Interference kept running (although slowly a few times).... and they are the ones charging $40 for access to the majority of their site. Even with people knowing this, people still appear to expect fans sites to operate on no funding - for a small site, thats fine and dandy, however for a large site like Interference or Atu2 it just doesnt cut it. atu2's servers and hosting are sponsored by the site owner's employers, whereas Interference does not have that luxury.

Ticket brokers are part of the entertainment industry, whether you like it or not, and whether it's "right" or not. In a capitalist system, supply and demand run the show. There will always be enough demand for these businesses. Like it or not, there are people that would rather not deal with trying to get tickets and jsut pay someone more money to have it done with. The brokers will still find ways to get tickets, and sell them - thats the business they are in.

Our traffic has trippled since we got the new server, and so long as I plan on keeping this place running, it is my responsibility to find ways to do so.

It may not be fair, but not everything is 'fair' in this world. Not everything is sugar coated. Is it 'fair' that some tickets cost 165$ from ticketmaster and arent even on the floor? I dont think so.

mellow moog said:
feels like interference made a pact with him downstairs!!!!

... and you think U2 is in this purely for the fun of it?

One hundred, two hundred... slappin' em down

U2 has hired ETS to sell 'packages'... for A LOT more money, but basically all you end up paying more for are the tickets. This has happened tour after tour, and they arent the only band/artists that do it. It's sanctioned scalping.

Elvis said:

Interference did NOT give your email address to anyone, we sent the email thats being discussed.

Technically, this is correct.

Would it be fair to say that Interference spammed its members on behalf of TotalTickets.com?

So, Elvis, you're ok with selling your soul. And it doesn't matter that you get your money from unscrupulous sources.

It's your life. It's your site. It's your conscience, which I've been losing faith in.

Prove me wrong.

nbcrusader said:

Technically, this is correct.

Would it be fair to say that Interference spammed its members on behalf of TotalTickets.com?

No, its not.

SPAM is unsolicited email. Everyone that was emailed has opted in to either U2 News mailing list (weekly) or the admin email list.

We were both announcing the tour dates and promoting the Total Tickets link.

Mark Freedman said:
So, Elvis, you're ok with selling your soul. And it doesn't matter that you get your money from unscrupulous sources.

It's your life. It's your site. It's your conscience, which I've been losing faith in.

Prove me wrong.

Mark, I'd love to have the sponsorship from elsewhere, but unfortunately supply and demand rule what types of companies want to advertise/sponsor music fan sites. Interference is not alone in partnering with brokers (official or unofficial). Last tour we partnered with ETS, and got the same criticism... even though they are 'official'.

Sadly, idealism doesnt pay the bills or allow for future growth.

Elvis said:

Mark, I'd love to have the sponsorship from elsewhere, but unfortunately supply and demand rule what types of companies want to advertise/sponsor music fan sites. Interference is not alone in partnering with brokers (official or unofficial). Last tour we partnered with ETS, and got the same criticism... even though they are 'official'.

Sadly, idealism doesnt pay the bills or allow for future growth.

:shame:

:huh:

:silent:

I hope you sleep at night.

I used to run a huge fan site that you would know, Elvis, for another very large rock band, and we actually met in 1996 or 97 at Internet World (or maybe we tried to meet). We probably didn't get as much traffic as Interference does, but we had huge server demand.

We had offers to sell the site. We had offers to sell sponsorships to things that we didn't agree with.

We never did. We are not rich. We paid out of pocket for a long time. There are ways to finance things if you are creative enough.

The ticket broker sponsorship of this site has never sat well with me, but now, given the debacle of the fan club ticketing, to send out a solitication for a ticket scalper is, well, wrong.

You can excuse it however you want, but right now your credibility is on the line big time.

Back
Top Bottom