Is all this anger just in passing or has this fiasco hurt the band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I don't know; personally, I feel betrayed by my best friend right about now. I guess over time I'll accept this ticket fiasco as just one of those things.
Certainly, when we think about those around the world suffering because they have no home, no food, no family, from whatever circumstances, be it war, natural disaster, or anything else,this ticket thing seems pretty damn trivial. I understand that for certain.
what bothers me is the amount of money that's at stake here and the level or corruption from a buisness standpoint. we're talking about millions of dollars and ZERO accountability by any parties involved. I also can't believe that the best u2 can do is issue a half assed statement from mcguiness saying more shows will be added. so what? as if I'd want to take part in a presale again?
I love u2 and hope they will somehow reconcile this nonsense. but nothing has been done so far, and the clock keeps ticking.

it's already passing for me. all it took was for me to put it all in perspective.

i saw U2 inside the heart 3 times during the Elevation Tour, and one time 1st row on the side of the stage. i would have never dreamed of being so lucky after having nosebleeds for the Popmart Tour.

maybe it's just someone else's turn to enjoy the great luck that i experienced last time around. i'll go to their concerts this tour, and i'll be happy with wherever i'm seated.

i was upset, and i understand why people are still upset. my advice to all of you is to just step back, and remember all the great things U2 has done for us all through the years. and things could have been worse, we could be Creed fans.

Well. They will play more shows. Part of the problem was everyone trying for tickets to 16 shows. They'll add like 50 more. Why didn't anyone wait?

And now, that they are trying to fix the problem, people are still complaining. They've pulled ticket reservations back from ETS to help meet demand.
Lord knows how many of those Ebay tickets are going to be cancelled (we won't know). The tour is apparently in the round, so tix once thought crap become good. Why couldn't anyone just be patient?

I was very angry, and am still disappointed...but I am supremely glad that U2.com addressed the scalpers on EBay.

That was the thing that was infuriating me most.

Even playing field? Fine, I don't get tickets I don't get tickets.

Pay for a presale, and thousands of tickets on Ebay before they have gone on sale to the general public?* Yes, I am upset.

*I understand most are speculative, but damn.

I think it'll pass. All things do pass. I have faith that U2 will make it right somehow, and this eBay thing is a good start.

U2 fans have always been the opinionated, fiery sort, and you know there's a thin line between love and hate.

But the beautiful thing is that there is a tour, it's coming up fast, and that's all anyone is going to be talking about in just a few short weeks. We all just need to hang tight...if possible.

I felt very frustrated and disappointed at the whole process. I got up to watch the how the presale took place in the UK and after seeing the chaos that occurred there I began to realize that the US one would not be pretty.

Tuesday - Devasted
Wednesday - Tired, Disappointed
Today - Looking to the future-59 days until opening night

I haven't gone through the "pissed off" stage. But that's not off the table if some of these rumours now floating around about not being able to buy tickets for any other show if you participated in the presale turn out to be true.

First of all, U2 makes music (exeptionally great music I might add). Their area of expertise is NOT in concert booking. Although the band should take some responsibility for the fiasco, it is not their fault. U2 will not lose any fan base because of this. If anything, they'll gain more fans. Any publicity is good publicity. When news of the fiasco hits greater media publications, people will wonder what all the hype is about and try to score tickets for themselves.

I don't think I was ever really angry, just disappointed in my own inability to get tickets.

I'm sure the typical complainers, the "post-Pop U2 sucks" whiners will use this as a way to further their hate of modern U2, though.

I sort of feel bad for the band that something like this is potentially giving them bad press that could affect their rep but I just don't see any other way out of it. If there was no press or even massive complaining/ whining, then nothing would get done... no changes would have probably occurred and people would continue to be screwed or the already screwed would have been stuck IMO.

For me, things like this leave a permanent impression unfortunately. Sure I'll go see their shows, and probably Love them. However, I may not end up going to as many as I would have. And my opinion of the band will be impacted by this situation. I'll take my opinions of them from many other things, but their recent somewhat "greedy" appearances are troubling if nothing else. You expect this of some bands and performers, but I always felt U2 were of a little higher class. Every now and then they remind me that they're possibly only slightly better than the others.

I don't think it's hurt the band at all, it's their u2.con outfit that sucks, and TM has always sucked, we just hate them all the more, but we already hated them, and from the boards at u2.con, U2 should probably close that, refund the money taken, and start all over again.

I wasnt ever mad about the presale because I got in within 2 minutes the only thing I was suprirised about was that their was no GA left but I didnt want GA anyway I would much rather be eating lunch and doing other things while others are standing in line even if i would love to get to know U2 fans I will go to the GA line later in the day to talk to people possibly:)

It will be interesting if the u2 organization can do anything about the tickets on Ebay.... reason: simply, most of the tickets are on speculation, as well.. those auctioning the tickets often do not list seat numbers in order to avoid any problems. Without section, row, and seat numbers these tickets will be impossible for U2 to identify, leaving them with no recourse.

I've been to an REM show where I had fan club issued tickets which were registered to by REM fan club membership. When we arrived one person per party had to present valid govt ID proving they were the fan club member and the person the tickets were registered to. It sounds like a lot of work..... but wow was it amazing to be standing 2ft away from the band, w/o any real hassle. Many people have mentioned that U2 should have followed the lead of REM and Radiohead... and U2 would have been wise to follow that advice.

JOFO said:
I don't know; personally, I feel betrayed by my best friend right about now. I guess over time I'll accept this ticket fiasco as just one of those things.
Certainly, when we think about those around the world suffering because they have no home, no food, no family, from whatever circumstances, be it war, natural disaster, or anything else,this ticket thing seems pretty damn trivial. I understand that for certain.
what bothers me is the amount of money that's at stake here and the level or corruption from a buisness standpoint. we're talking about millions of dollars and ZERO accountability by any parties involved. I also can't believe that the best u2 can do is issue a half assed statement from mcguiness saying more shows will be added. so what? as if I'd want to take part in a presale again?
I love u2 and hope they will somehow reconcile this nonsense. but nothing has been done so far, and the clock keeps ticking.
Just read a feature on the Billboard website about all the ticket problems. If they are covering it then certainly the message will get through to management and the band. Lets hope for a good response!

personally it has effected the way i view the band... i'm not going to go so far as say i hate them and wont ever listen to them ever again nd they've lost a loyal fan of a decade ro whatever (that overreacting) as i still love the music and i will still buy the albums and go to the tours.

on the other hand, my respect for U2 as a group has waned slightly. I think the ticket fiasco compacted with everything over the past few months regarding apple and itunes and ipods as well as the dawning realsiation of what 4 versions per album and single with nothing but crap remixes on is doing to my pocket and the whole disaster that has been u2.com since the start, has finally made me realise that over the past few years U2 have evolved from a band into a corporation and we all know that the only thing large corporations care about is money.

3 months ago i was defendign them with my soul but to sudenly look back on that with this ticket/fan-club fiasco to top it off and i realise i've been a bit blind.
u2 are so far detached from their fan base at the moment that it can only be damaging.

it's a massive relaity check and i'm very disappinted by it all, as i say it won't change the way i view the music but is has massively changed the way i feel about the band themselves. these days i think if i saw Bono in the street, as opposed to running up and idolising him as i may have done before, this time i'd be more tempted to throw something and start an argument :D

I dunno - just seems like such a mess.

People paid $40 or so for a subscription, the main benefit being tickets on pre-sale, and very few got tickets. So when they go on main sale, the sites are choc-a-block.

As I said in another thread, I have never had trouble getting tickets for gigs before(and one was Radiohead playing their first UK Arena tour for five years - high demand for tickets but pre-sale were all available).

I just don't think they were prepared for the sheer size of demand.

Will this affect the band? I dunno but it certainly isn't positive is it? However they are the biggest band in the world and can pretty much do anything without hurting themselves too much, as sad as this may sound.

digsy said:
personally it has effected the way i view the band... i'm not going to go so far as say i hate them and wont ever listen to them ever again nd they've lost a loyal fan of a decade ro whatever (that overreacting) as i still love the music and i will still buy the albums and go to the tours.

on the other hand, my respect for U2 as a group has waned slightly. I think the ticket fiasco compacted with everything over the past few months regarding apple and itunes and ipods as well as the dawning realsiation of what 4 versions per album and single with nothing but crap remixes on is doing to my pocket and the whole disaster that has been u2.com since the start, has finally made me realise that over the past few years U2 have evolved from a band into a corporation and we all know that the only thing large corporations care about is money.

3 months ago i was defendign them with my soul but to sudenly look back on that with this ticket/fan-club fiasco to top it off and i realise i've been a bit blind.
u2 are so far detached from their fan base at the moment that it can only be damaging.

it's a massive relaity check and i'm very disappinted by it all, as i say it won't change the way i view the music but is has massively changed the way i feel about the band themselves. these days i think if i saw Bono in the street, as opposed to running up and idolising him as i may have done before, this time i'd be more tempted to throw something and start an argument :D

I totally agree with your post. I would have defended U2 in the past but in the last couple of weeks I'ven oticed/ heard certain things and thought maybe U2 aren't as bothered about their fans as they seem.

I will never buy anything U2 related again though, I am not going to put money towards a band I think have become totally obsessed with getting the maximum profit they can. :slant: I'll still listen to the albums that I have though but as for buying anything else. No way.

I don't think the band will be relaly all that much hurt though, people will still complain about tickets but buy the tickets anyway. U2 are still getting their money. They don't care which fan has bought the concert ticket. :shrug:

What a bunch of psychotic losers

OMG. What a bunch of whining psychotic losers. Relax. You guys go from unhealthy hero worship to spitting venom in a split second. It is quite sad really, go talk to your partners / families (if they will talk to you) and take a break.
U2 respect/treat their fans better than any other band . Period.
You are so pathetic, you take this ticket stuff as a personal insult.

Re: What a bunch of psychotic losers

b0b said:
OMG. What a bunch of whining psychotic losers. Relax. You guys go from unhealthy hero worship to spitting venom in a split second. It is quite sad really, go talk to your partners / families (if they will talk to you) and take a break.

"Oh my god, people are criticising my favourite band on a message board for them. This is wrong, this can't be. Oh my god.":rolleyes:

I cannot believe how fragile some fan's loyality are.
bOb has it right:up:
Originally posted by b0b

In short:

ask not what the world's greatest band can do for you..but
what you can do for the world's greatest band.

thx,
db9
:wink:

Last edited:

b0b said:

Bono? :huh:

digsy said:
these days i think if i saw Bono in the street, as opposed to running up and idolising him as i may have done before, this time i'd be more tempted to throw something and start an argument :D

before you all flame me, i was kidding :)

starsgoblue said:
Had me worried for a sec there, Digs. ;)

dont worry, I'm a PLEBA girl through and through :D
although this whole debacle has kept me out of there for a while :|
i think i need to go back in and cheer myself up

diamond said:
I cannot believe how fragile some fan's loyality are.
bOb has it right:up:

In short:

ask not what the world's greatest band can do for you..but
what you can do for the world's greatest band.

thx,
db9
:wink:

I certainly hope you're kidding.

b0b said:

well, I for one never worshipped the band; only enjoyed their music deeply.
I also respected them for all charity/global causes they're participated in over the years.
I also put them a notch above other bands in the way they treat their fans. that part has been demolished. and I am personally insulted that they are letting this just go by with nothing being done about; not even a band statement.

I am still pretty mad. Not at the band particularly but at all the ridiculous profit structure that has been mounted around them.

Of course, it will eventually pass but I still feel ripped off by U2.com and Principle Management.

Back
Top Bottom