Interesting Post from Zootopia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramblin rose

Site Team
Staff member
Don't know how much truth there is to it but I found it an interesting read. Just more information/speculation to make me crazy until opening night.

In the "Live Section":

http://www.u2.com/bbs/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=284929&an=0&page=0#284929

I was told by a studio guitar tech in Nashville, Dallas (Edge's tech) said it's pretty much the whole new album plus their other "have-to" staples and there's just not time for any more. He said they are trying to throw in some medley concepts to get everything in, but that's probably only going to be in one area of the show and some of them hate it as a concept.

They are trying to cut it down to a managable amount and it will be a short set with two small breaks, no encore. One break is some video thing and one is an extended Edge feature. He said they may do as many as 7 songs off the new CD?! They do NOT want it to become a greatest hits tour like the Stones, they want it to be new and fresh. Some favs are being cut out it appears.

They cut Desire for Crumbs, etc. Crumbs and Love & Peace he said is performed on an island with a combo set up. He said they were trying to build a few covers to pander to each region and that's on the island, too. There's part of a Ramones tune for NY and so on.

He heard TWO demo remix tracks they are using in rehearsals. One he said is an extended Vertigo with the 'Wire' riff in it that the stage is supposed to do something to and the other is a hybrid instrumental remix of Yahweh and Walk On and something else he thought was a totally new faster "The Who-sounding" version of '40' in the middle for an epic closer, but it wasn't more than an idea they would try out in Canada? He said Bono has too many ideas and a wild idea to totally change the words to one of the "Bomb" songs and do this big "movie" in the middle of the concert, but it doesn't make sense yet.

They apparently have too many slow/low songs but it's easier on Bono's Vox. (HA!) He said Bono's voice is much more manageable and he will sound better than ever if he paces himself. He is more worried Edge will have too much to do/play rather than Bono's voice cracking. He said they have an edict not to use any recordings for fill, but will probably have hidden 'knomes', whatever that means. I acted like I knew what it meant. Anyone know what knomes are or noams? Tech talk?

He said a month sounds like a long time, but they barely have more than ideas on paper. He said if all goes well, they may release a second CD before the tour ends with less "release" oriented material, but they want to avoid something that's not ready. He doesn't know where the time is to review final cuts and do studio fixes, so he doubts it'll be done... Dallas said in the end, it's just a dream we may see parts of on B sides in the future. Adam and management think they may need a new cd when they come back to the U.S. ARE YOU KIDDING? If you get the chance, tell them they will , tho.
He said Dallas did not comment on family issues of the band.
He said only one of the band looks at this site once in a while. 'That they would ALL have postponed it all if they could have, but too much was on and in it and postponement rumors had more to do with that than Edge's family. He said some in the band and management were really lobbying for a total do-over of the American first leg sales.

He said they plan two more albums and another tour before the Best Of III and he thinks they will scale way back after that...

Just rumors, but I trust this guy. He knew the album title a month before it hit the web. I thought he was joking or testing me to see if I would leak it. I can hardly believe they named it that, even now. IT'S A LINE FROM ONE THEY CUT FROM THE CD?!

:hmm:

I would believe two more albums before Best of, they got way too little material right now and remember Bono saying 2006?

Other things don't make much sense to me - is it 7 songs from the Bomb or "pretty much the whole album"? I don't think U2 - apart from very eary years - ever played a whole new album on tour.
Island? Remixes? New version of 40? :shrug:

U2girl said:
:hmm:

I would believe two more albums before Best of, they got way too little material right now and remember Bono saying 2006?

Other things don't make much sense to me - is it 7 songs from the Bomb or "pretty much the whole album"? I don't think U2 - apart from very eary years - ever played a whole new album on tour.
Island? Remixes? New version of 40? :shrug:

They played the majority of AB. I think by "Island" it might refer to that B-stage that was alluded to in the initial San Diego floor plan.

But like I said I found it an interesting read, by no means do I think this is the definitive anything.

Just makes me more anxious for opening night, though. The speculation is killing me.:crazy:

It sounds like it could be accurate. Especiallly the "Bono has too many ideas" lol

I've never heard of Dallas being so 'talkative' before. I don't think he would be letting any cats out of the bag just yet.

If they play alot of the new album, or most of it, people are going to scream "marketing ploy." Although, this play the whole album concept has worked very well for Green Day as of late.

I dunno. If the band wants a mega-successful tour like Elevation, they're gonna need to mix it up alot. Their catalog is too beloved and too impressive.

SHort set list + high ticket prices = SCAM..

But with an excellent back catalogue, they SHOULD play lots of older tunes along with the new album...

That sounds horrible. Good Lord. No old songs and 200 bucks a ticket? Way to alienate fans. :tsk:

Hopefully Mr. Knows Inside Information was just talking out of his ass, like everyone else who claims to have inside information always does.

" it's pretty much the whole new album plus their other "have-to" staples and there's just not time for any more"

- this looks to me like the 80's songs, One/MW/End of the world will make it. I will be very surprised if 4 songs from All that... don't make it. I doubt U2 would skip the 90's songs too.

Also, I remember these three being reported in the Setlist forum "closing song" thread: Exit, Wire and the Unforgettable Fire.
(remember a while back we also heard they were rehearsing Exit in Dublin?)
If Bono's "rotating setlist" talk turns true, that IMO means even less space for staples.

Last edited:
before i say what i'm gonna say, lemme just say that i've been into this frickin' band since october, saw them the first time in dallas at the bronco bowl on the war tour, and have always gone out of my way to defend them to people who don't get it.
that being said... if they play almost or all of this new record, i'll be done with the defending. i've always loved their records, but this atomic bomb thing is truly awful. i keep trying to get into it... but every time i put it on, i just get a sinking feeling. it sounds watery and thin... the sonic ideas are kind of just half-realized and the lyrics need a lot more development. i'm seriously shocked that bono actually said "this is the record we've been waiting 25 yrs. to make"... does he really believe that?
anyways, i've got my tickets for both glendale shows, and i can't wait to see all the tech-gadgets and hope they play a bunch of stuff i like, just like everyone else does. it'll be a shame if they play a shorter show of all new stuff.

Wow, does everyone here believe everything they read on the net. Take all of this with a HUGE grain of salt. As someone posted before, Dallas has NEVER been that talkative with that much detail before.

Same goes for that other thread that also mentioned about Exit, Unf. Fire etc. Remember the grain of salt quote. Those that really know what is going on are. A.) not flapping their gums with that much detail and/or B.) dont have the time currently to be flapping them anyway. There may be a few tidbits leaking out, I can see that. I think the rest is overreactive fans misconstruing and exaggerating things.

Also, if so many of you have followed the band for so long. I dont understand how on earth you can be shocked that they intend to play most of the new album? Just about every single tour U2 has done has featured most of the new album they are touring for. Why is this such a damn revelation to some of you? I would be shocked if they didnt play most of the new album.

Last edited:
BS I should think. I just cannot see U2 not doing an encore and not playing the "classics". I mean why are they "short of time"? Whether they play 2hrs or 1hr 30 isn't going to make much of a difference to Edge seeing his child or whatever.

I'm ready for anything they decide to throw at me. Seriously though, the Bomb is an amazing album that deserves a lot of attention on this tour. 7 songs has to be the minimum they play from it each night. I loved Elevation. It was a greatest hits tour more than it was a new album tour. I think 5-6 songs they played off All That... on a nightly basis was good enough. However, it is quite apparent that the Bomb songs are going to be more appreciative on this tour by the fans. It would make sense to me that 8-9 songs from the Bomb could be played on a nightly basis. This should feel more like a Bomb tour than a greatest hits tour, but thats just me.

i do think we can take this with a pinch of salt.... lets just wait until march 28th before we even start to panic

KUEFC09U2 said:
i do think we can take this with a pinch of salt.... lets just wait until march 28th before we even start to panic

Exactly!!!!! Lets just hang in there till March 28th! I am going to that show...will report back after...let everyone know what set list was done.

The bottom line is that no matter what they do someone will be disappointed:

I for one don't want the "greatest hits" tour. I've seen every tour since Boy and would love to see new stuff (i.e. HTDAAB) with a few classics thrown in, along with some rarely played songs.

Others are going to their 1st concert and want to hear the classics played live since they've never experienced them.

Others hate the new stuff and the "greatest hits" and want only the rare stuff.

A lot of people will complain that the concert was way too short and a complete ripoff.

In 31 days we'll know what we're in for. And luckily if some people are too disgusted with what they hear they'll still have time to sell their tickets. I can't imagine wanting to go knowing you're in for a disapointment.

Roland of Gilead said:
I loved Elevation. It was a greatest hits tour more than it was a new album tour.

BD, Stuck, Elevation, Walk on, Kite, New York, In a little while, Wild honey were all played at some point on the tour.

Also, Elevation had by far the most songs ever played - how is it a greatest hits tour?

HelloAngel said:
Although, this play the whole album concept has worked very well for Green Day as of late.

It worked for Green Day because 'American Idiot' was a concept album/rock opera that tells a story, similar to 'Tommy. It wouldn't work for Bomb because it's just a normal album.

I hope they don't do this, it would be such a radical change from all their other tours. Plus it would piss me off to hear 10 songs off the new album and maybe 3 old songs.

Wow all you pissed people should sell your tickets now, and not be dissapointed.:wink:

TheRat said:

I hope they don't do this, it would be such a radical change from all their other tours. Plus it would piss me off to hear 10 songs off the new album and maybe 3 old songs.

HOW, would playing most or alot of the album they are touring for be a radical departure?? Do you know ANYTHING about U2's touring history?? Clearly by your post you dont.

Also, 13 songs??? U2 hasnt played that short of a setlist since they were opening at festivals in the mid 80's.

People need to chill on this. Most of this is complete bullshit.

everything will be OK when the band takes the stage...people are getting worked up over petty issues..just be happy:

A--you have tix

B--everyone @ the show is there for the same reason

C--you have tix

Even if they play 8-9 songs from HTDAAB, that still leaves about 12 songs left - there will be plenty of classics thrown in for good measure. Also, after all this presale ticket fiasco, do you really think that U2 would make things worse by not playing fan friendly material and a full 2hr show? I'm not worried.

U2girl said:

BD, Stuck, Elevation, Walk on, Kite, New York, In a little while, Wild honey were all played at some point on the tour.

Also, Elevation had by far the most songs ever played - how is it a greatest hits tour?

You fail to see my point. While you list which All That... songs got played at some point during the tour, each show only had an average of 6 songs played from All That... . Rare will find an Elevation setlist with more than 6 All That... songs played on any given night.

So, in a 23 song setlist on an Elevation Tour, 6 songs from All That... only represents a quarter of a setlist. To me, that feels more like a greatest hits tour. At the very least, something closer to a third of a setlist would more like an album tour than a greatest hits tour.

Please though, understand that I really loved the Elevation Tour. Loved it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom