Interesting post about the Ellipse policy and the band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chicago and Boston were not the exception.

In Hamilton, of all places, I went out to dinner, strolled by the arena around 8 PM the night before and there were already 20 people in line. I had a friend who arrived around 3 AM and he was in the high 80s.

It was really out of control.

i think if anything, this policy will make people start lining up earlier

why?

because if you dont get into the "bomb shelter" then the number of spots along the rail is limited

if you want a spot along the rail you really have to be in the first 50 people, and if they split it into 2 lines, then you have to be in the first 25 for either of the lines

and if you want that you need to line up reallllly early

i just dont like this policy at all

Chizip said:
i think if anything, this policy will make people start lining up earlier

why?

because if you dont get into the "bomb shelter" then the number of spots along the rail is limited

if you want a spot along the rail you really have to be in the first 50 people, and if they split it into 2 lines, then you have to be in the first 25 for either of the lines

and if you want that you need to line up reallllly early

i just dont like this policy at all

Well, if the last couple shows are any indicator, you are wrong. The line is down substantially from where it started before the lottery was announced. People are going to camp out, but not half as many. Most people want to be in the elipse/heart, the outside of that isnt as big of a deal to most. I think the overnight camping is going to be down to nothing eventually, it already is somewhat.

I dont think the band are going to change their minds on this one. The lottery is here to stay.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Exactly, this is the hypocrisy that I have referred to before for those that think the lottery is the worst thing ever. They think it should be first come, first serve, but its ok to save spots for 20 to 30 of their friends?? This happened on Elevation all the time.

I'm not in favour of the lottery and I think first come first served is the only fair way, but I also don't think saving spots is ok. There is an honour code that can stop this kind of non-sense. In Montreal during Elevation you had to arrive at the same time as the people with whom you claimed to be. In other words, you line up in the order you get there. No saving spots for friends etc who would only show up later. You could only save someone's spot if they went to get food or go to the bathroom. Again, they had to arrive at the same time as you if they wanted to go in with you. Otherwise, back of the line. I think that's a fair restriction on the line-up system because lining up is a commitment.

In Montreal there was ALREADY a lineup at 3pm the day before the May 27 Elevation show...that's 30 hours. Would it be fair if the person making that sacrifice got a worse spot than someone who shows up a whole day later?

I think the lottery is terrible because people who show up at 6pm on the night of the show can get a better spot than people who stay out there for 28 hours. Sorry, but I don't think that's fair. It may not be an issue to some, but I'll be in 2 GA lines for probably over a day in freezing cold November in Montreal. Damned if I'm going to quietly let somebody show up at 6pm and get a better spot than me.

Jon

Last edited:
HappyFatBono said:
I love how the line nazi's save spots for thier friends - nobody seems angry about that though.

Excuse me try San Diego 1 3/28/2005 the best GA line Ever!!! Everything thought there would be chaos instead pure happiness and everything accepting their role and #'s in the process. Those in the front of the line knew I was well prepared especially if anyone decided to add their name in on the line or in a a spot where someone was cross off.

Last edited:
Super_Fan said:

Excuse me try San Diego 1 3/28/2005 the best GA line Ever!!! Everything thought there would be chaos instead pure happiness and everything accepting their role and #'s in the process. Those in the front of the line knew I was well prepared especially if anyone decided to add their name in on the line or in a a spot where someone was cross off.

The fact that there was a lottery announced and your place in line didn't matter nearly as much also helped. That and it being the first show of the tour.

Scanning most of the responses, I have some questions --
Five or six shows in to the tour, and knowing this policy is in place, why the heck would anyone show up at 7 AM to hang out on concrete all day? Don't you people sleep? Sure, it can be fun, but not that damn much fun.

Second, several referred to most people being unhappy with the policy -- last time I checked the poll was running about 60-40 against out here. That's not exactly a drumbeat against since it seems likely that more diehard fans read and post here skewing the poll base against.

Lastly, I wonder how long we will keep seeing this type of thread -- it is what it is -- TicketMaster did not do this, the band did. Can we please move on to say...hmmm anohter Acrobat petition?

For me, the only thing we should note is that this policy should have been announced before tickets went on sale -- it seems to be working rather well; of say about 8 to 10 thousand people in the bomb shelter so far, only a handful of truly negative stories have crept out. Not bad IMO.

Move on.

BWU2Buffs said:
Five or six shows in to the tour, and knowing this policy is in place, why the heck would anyone show up at 7 AM to hang out on concrete all day? Don't you people sleep? Sure, it can be fun, but not that damn much fun.

Second, several referred to most people being unhappy with the policy -- last time I checked the poll was running about 60-40 against out here. That's not exactly a drumbeat against since it seems likely that more diehard fans read and post here skewing the poll base against.

Lastly, I wonder how long we will keep seeing this type of thread -- it is what it is -- TicketMaster did not do this, the band did. Can we please move on to say...hmmm anohter Acrobat petition?

For me, the only thing we should note is that this policy should have been announced before tickets went on sale -- it seems to be working rather well; of say about 8 to 10 thousand people in the bomb shelter so far, only a handful of truly negative stories have crept out. Not bad IMO.

Move on.

AGREED!!!

But PLEASE, not another Acrobat petition!!! :lol: No more petitions period! ;)

BWU2Buffs,
I would like to take the opportunity to respond to your post in a very courteous manner. Please don't take what I'm saying personally.

BWU2Buffs said:

The fact of the matter is that you STILL have to get there early to get a good spot outside the ellipse. This lottery system doesn't save any trouble. In fact, by making the ellipse entry random and leaving only the spots outside the ellipse, it decreases the number of good GA spots available on a first come first served basis. That forces people to get there even earlier to ensure at minimum that they get a good GA spot outside the ellipse.

60/40 is still a majority. From an opposing standpoint I'd like to point out that while you can't please everybody, when 60%+ are dissatisfied - or prefer first come first served - that's not a success. Moreover, I can't remember a single complaint during the Elevation tour. There was nothing wrong with the first come first served system. It rewarded those who were willing to make a sacrifice. Restaurants, buses, movie theatres, amusement park rides all work on a first come first served basis because they know that it's the only fair way to decide on your position when you all pay the same price.

Again, I'll post the example time and time again. When you go to a movie theatre, you get to choose your seat based on when you get there. if people are there before you, they get to choose seats first. To me this is fair. Would you want to give up your seats to someone who came later than you to a movie? I don't want to put words in your mouth but I doubt it. Why? Because you made the sacrifice to be there first. The same goes at bus stops, restaurants, amusement park rides etc. You always get in line and wait your turn. Of course people at the back will SAY they think a lottery is more fair, but is it fair to those at the front? I doubt they can claim that it is. A system that preaches fairness should not make it more fair for some at the expense of fairness to others, and it should not punish those who make the greatest sacrifice.

People who are die-hards for the lottery would also be here to post so I'm not sure that the polls have some sort of natural skew.

For me, the only thing we should note is that this policy should have been announced before tickets went on sale -- it seems to be working rather well; of say about 8 to 10 thousand people in the bomb shelter so far, only a handful of truly negative stories have crept out. Not bad IMO

Move on

Since 60% of people don't like the system, I don't think you can consider that "working well" especially because if you read the posts of people who have been affected by the lottery, it's more like 90% disatisfaction. The rest are voting as outsiders based on some moral principle. Moreover, again, I can't remember any complaints from Elevation. But I have yet to read a positive post about the system from somebody who got there early and was rejected from the ellipse. It's simply not fair that if you get there early, somebody who gets there later is entitled to a better spot.

And I would argue that IN the bomb shelter is not the place to look for disgruntled fans, but rather outside the bomb shelter, where they were unfairly placed.

How long will we see these threads? Well, to be honest, I'm going to bring it up as frequently and forcefully as I can. I plan on being in two GA lines for over a day (since you still have to get there early to get a good spot outside the ellipse) in sub-zero temperatures in Montreal in November. I have a lot to lose by not saying anything and keeping quiet. While I can certainly see how the issue is tiring for some, maybe they don't have anything to lose? I bought my tickets for a lot of money, under certain assumptions that seemed logical given the last tour and notions of fairness. I want to see that the process is fairly organized, which it is not.

Again, I say this with friendly undertones to answer your questions.

Jon

Last edited:
Klink, 60/40 is a majority, but not an overwhelming one. Some of your math though doesnt really make sense to me, (by the number of posts upset here its more like 90%????, have you taken a Statistics course in college??? You need to, or need to re take it ;) ) Point is there is not this HUGE outrage by all fans (like there was with the pre sale) over the lottery. The band wants it this way. Thats the bottom line. Not sure what complaining about it all the way up to November is going to do?? Seems like a huge waste of energy to me. If its still happening on the third leg, its not changing.

Blue Room said:
Klink, 60/40 is a majority, but not an overwhelming one. Some of your math though doesnt really make sense to me, (by the number of posts upset here its more like 90%????, have you taken a Statistics course in college??? You need to, or need to re take it ;) ) Point is there is not this HUGE outrage by all fans (like there was with the pre sale) over the lottery. The band wants it this way. Thats the bottom line. Not sure what complaining about it all the way up to November is going to do?? Seems like a huge waste of energy to me. If its still happening on the third leg, its not changing.

I've taken inferential statisitcs. I think you misinterpreted what I meant. The 90% was referring to the people actually affected by the policy...ie. the people who have GA tix and who have been punished for their dedication by being denied a spot in the ellipse after waiting out all day. It's probably actually closer to 100%.

The point is that if the system were first come first served, the satisfaction rate would be at least reversed (60% satisfied) and probably much closer to 90% because, again, those actually affected by this policy seem to be even less satisfied than the rest of us.

Why not have the system that makes the most people happy?

Jon

Last edited:
To add on to what Klink has said ( I agree completely), this poll here in Interference does not indicate well people's opinion because of the way the question is asked (same thing with that poll from Zootopia). I think that if the question was "Do you agree with the current lottery policy, Yes or No" the proportion of No would be higher than 60%. I think that there is a fair number of people who are ok with a lottery, but not THIS lottery (I am one of them).

Plus, if I remember correctly, this poll was started before the beginning of the tour, hence none of us knew about the details of this specific lottery policy.

Klink said:
BWU2Buffs,
I would like to take the opportunity to respond to your post in a very courteous manner. Please don't take what I'm saying personally.

The fact of the matter is that you STILL have to get there early to get a good spot outside the ellipse. This lottery system doesn't save any trouble. In fact, by making the ellipse entry random and leaving only the spots outside the ellipse, it decreases the number of good GA spots available on a first come first served basis. That forces people to get there even earlier to ensure at minimum that they get a good GA spot outside the ellipse.

60/40 is still a majority. From an opposing standpoint I'd like to point out that while you can't please everybody, when 60%+ are dissatisfied - or prefer first come first served - that's not a success. Moreover, I can't remember a single complaint during the Elevation tour. There was nothing wrong with the first come first served system. It rewarded those who were willing to make a sacrifice. Restaurants, buses, movie theatres, amusement park rides all work on a first come first served basis because they know that it's the only fair way to decide on your position when you all pay the same price.

Again, I'll post the example time and time again. When you go to a movie theatre, you get to choose your seat based on when you get there. if people are there before you, they get to choose seats first. To me this is fair. Would you want to give up your seats to someone who came later than you to a movie? I don't want to put words in your mouth but I doubt it. Why? Because you made the sacrifice to be there first. The same goes at bus stops, restaurants, amusement park rides etc. You always get in line and wait your turn. Of course people at the back will SAY they think a lottery is more fair, but is it fair to those at the front? I doubt they can claim that it is. A system that preaches fairness should not make it more fair for some at the expense of fairness to others, and it should not punish those who make the greatest sacrifice.

Since 60% of people don't like the system, I don't think you can consider that "working well" especially because if you read the posts of people who have been affected by the lottery, it's more like 90% disatisfaction. The rest are voting as outsiders based on some moral principle. Moreover, again, I can't remember any complaints from Elevation. But I have yet to read a positive post about the system from somebody who got there early and was rejected from the ellipse. It's simply not fair that if you get there early, somebody who gets there later is entitled to a better spot.

And I would argue that IN the bomb shelter is not the place to look for disgruntled fans, but rather outside the bomb shelter, where they were unfairly placed.

How long will we see these threads? Well, to be honest, I'm going to bring it up as frequently and forcefully as I can. I plan on being in two GA lines for over a day (since you still have to get there early to get a good spot outside the ellipse) in sub-zero temperatures in Montreal in November. I have a lot to lose by not saying anything and keeping quiet. While I can certainly see how the issue is tiring for some, maybe they don't have anything to lose? I bought my tickets for a lot of money, under certain assumptions that seemed logical given the last tour and notions of fairness. I want to see that the process is fairly organized, which it is not.
Again, I say this with friendly undertones to answer your questions.

Jon

Nothing personal at all --

Getting there early: we can debate this one all you want, but you are choosing to get their early to be the first, non-beeped, GA ticket holder on the edge of the ellipse. To me, the bigger point of the lottery is focused on inside the ellipse. Either way, you are choosing your behavior, nothing, aside from your own desire to have a good seat, is forcing your behavior. I don’t blame you, but I think the policy recognizes a balanced approach to the most coveted spot – inside the ellipse bomb shelter / whatever.

While 60-40 may be a majority, it’s a skewed one as posted here. Besides, since when did this become a democracy?
Success is a relative term – measured against the goals set forth, and most likely these are the band’s goals trying to be as fair as balanced as possible to their wishes, as well as the fans.

Sure, the band is responsive to fans, but IMO you are kidding yourself if you think a simple 60-40 sample poll on a website is flowing directly into band policy. Plus, I’d say you are missing a ‘complaint´ from the Elevation Tour: the band complained that the same people were in the heart and front row each night after camping out the night before. Even heard some rumblings that the band got bummed that these very people left early to get camped out for the next night – sometimes the band’s complaints win over the fans concerns.

Nothing personal, but IMO comparisons to grocery stores, convenience stores, movie theaters and so forth are weak analogies at best. U2 shows are high demand, one or two night gigs per city. You can see the same movie anytime during the week, even the same night, go to a different theatre, or rent it later. The supply, demand, and emotional variables are dramatically different. Your assumption, like many in favor of first come first served, is that those who made sacrifices deserve the best spot – while this is probably closer to true than false, nobody makes the same type of sacrifice when choosing a spot in line at a movie, restaurant, or convenience store and so the comparisons are pretty weak, IMO. In short, that roller coaster we all want to ride, with the humongous lines in the hot sun; it will be there all summer at Six Flags, U2 is here one night.

Again, ‘working well’ is measured relatively against somebody’s goals. Your statistical thoughts are pure conjecture – my point is that a fan website, more likely to consist of die-hard fans, is not a representative sample of the ticket holding public, and might not even represent the GA ticket holders. Statistically, my instincts are that the only way to fairly and accurately measure the fan response to the lottery is ask a randomly selected sample of GA ticket holders a series of questions about the lottery system. Match the data against the band’s goals, and continue from there. If the vast majority of them – say 80% or more -- dislike the lottery, and the band is willing to see the same faces each night knowing that these same folks might bail out for their sleeping bags for tomorrow night’s show at the start of Yahew, then ditch it. If the data suggests anywhere from 65% or less against the lottery, then stay with the policy. Ultimately, my main point is that web polls are not very good at measuring data and extrapolating that data to a general population.

I wish you the best with your effort to change the policy – just mark your threads No GA Lottery so I can skip ‘em (-:

And please, for gosh sakes, someone teach me the multiple quote trick out here -- or is that secret until you pass 200 posts or 15 U2 shows in your career.?

BWU2Buffs said:

Getting there early: we can debate this one all you want, but you are choosing to get their early to be the first, non-beeped, GA ticket holder on the edge of the ellipse. To me, the bigger point of the lottery is focused on inside the ellipse. Either way, you are choosing your behavior, nothing, aside from your own desire to have a good seat, is forcing your behavior. I don’t blame you, but I think the policy recognizes a balanced approach to the most coveted spot – inside the ellipse bomb shelter / whatever.

While 60-40 may be a majority, it’s a skewed one as posted here. Besides, since when did this become a democracy?
Success is a relative term – measured against the goals set forth, and most likely these are the band’s goals trying to be as fair as balanced as possible to their wishes, as well as the fans.

Sure, the band is responsive to fans, but IMO you are kidding yourself if you think a simple 60-40 sample poll on a website is flowing directly into band policy. Plus, I’d say you are missing a ‘complaint´ from the Elevation Tour: the band complained that the same people were in the heart and front row each night after camping out the night before. Even heard some rumblings that the band got bummed that these very people left early to get camped out for the next night – sometimes the band’s complaints win over the fans concerns.

Nothing personal, but IMO comparisons to grocery stores, convenience stores, movie theaters and so forth are weak analogies at best. U2 shows are high demand, one or two night gigs per city. You can see the same movie anytime during the week, even the same night, go to a different theatre, or rent it later. The supply, demand, and emotional variables are dramatically different. Your assumption, like many in favor of first come first served, is that those who made sacrifices deserve the best spot – while this is probably closer to true than false, nobody makes the same type of sacrifice when choosing a spot in line at a movie, restaurant, or convenience store and so the comparisons are pretty weak, IMO. In short, that roller coaster we all want to ride, with the humongous lines in the hot sun; it will be there all summer at Six Flags, U2 is here one night.

Again, ‘working well’ is measured relatively against somebody’s goals. Your statistical thoughts are pure conjecture – my point is that a fan website, more likely to consist of die-hard fans, is not a representative sample of the ticket holding public, and might not even represent the GA ticket holders. Statistically, my instincts are that the only way to fairly and accurately measure the fan response to the lottery is ask a randomly selected sample of GA ticket holders a series of questions about the lottery system. Match the data against the band’s goals, and continue from there. If the vast majority of them – say 80% or more -- dislike the lottery, and the band is willing to see the same faces each night knowing that these same folks might bail out for their sleeping bags for tomorrow night’s show at the start of Yahew, then ditch it. If the data suggests anywhere from 65% or less against the lottery, then stay with the policy. Ultimately, my main point is that web polls are not very good at measuring data and extrapolating that data to a general population.

I wish you the best with your effort to change the policy – just mark your threads No GA Lottery so I can skip ‘em (-:

And please, for gosh sakes, someone teach me the multiple quote trick out here -- or is that secret until you pass 200 posts or 15 U2 shows in your career.?

Bravo!
Well said!
:up:

BWU2Buffs said:

Respectfully, your point about the poll being skewed is completely arbitrary and has no logical or fundamental backup so I don't accept it. People who are for the lottery are just as present as those against it.

60% dissatisfied makes no sense. We can go on for ages about the non-scientific aspects of this survey. Believe me, I'm a sociology major. I know all about valid and reliable studies. However, one thing is clear to me: THE FANS, IN GENERAL, DON'T LIKE THIS SYSTEM. 15% IS LOW.

What difference does my behaviour/personal choice have to do with anything? People will behave this way because the number of good spots are more limited. What's the problem here? Your "balanced approach" gives people a greater advantage if they get there later because they are, for a lesser sacrifice, getting more than someone who sacrifices more. What kind of balance is that? A real balanced approach would be to give 3/4 of the ellipse spots to those who get there first and 1/4 randomly, but the current policy is anything but fair and balanced.

Success - while your point about goals is taken, the goals here, as stated by U2.com, is to make the system more fair. Fair to who? The fans. It seems logical to me that since fairness to the fans is the goal, then fan support would be the primary determinant of success. Only 15% support, even in this non-scientific poll, is very low. At least....i repeat...at least 60% of THE FANS feel this is unsuccessful.

If that's the band's complaint, I've never heard it. Where's your source? Drawing upon a rumour to contradict a REAL visible complaint and logical consistency? I'm not sure I can buy that.

I think the movie theatre is a perfect analogy. We all make different sacrifices in life to get what we want, whether it's at a U2 show or a grocery store. I'm also not sure what difference the high demand makes. Many products are in high demand and I don't see stores throwing in lottery systems to decide who gets what. Movie theatres don't change their priority policies on opening nights for popular movies, do they? ie. Star Wars? I don't think that because there's greater demand means you should make it less fair for those who make a sacrifice. If that's fair and balanced...???

No problem, I'll mark my threads as you asked.

Jon

Last edited:
Klink said:
What difference does my behaviour/personal choice have to do with anything? People will behave this way because the number of good spots are more limited. What's the problem here? Your "balanced approach" gives people a greater advantage if they get there later because they are, for a lesser sacrifice, getting more than someone who sacrifices more. What kind of balance is that? A real balanced approach would be to give 3/4 of the ellipse spots to those who get there first and 1/4 randomly, but the current policy is anything but fair and balanced.

As it stands, everyone has the same chance right now of getting into the ellipse for any given show. What is not fair about that?

I sacrficed $49.50 for a ticket...just like you. If I choose to arrive at 7pm and you choose to arrive at 6am, we both have equal chance of getting into the ellipse. Seems very fair.

If neither of us get into the ellipse, your all day sacrifice will most likely reward you with a better spot on the outside.

Last edited:
Response to Klink

Rest assured, caps are NOT shouting, just a way to post my final thoughts.

Respectfully, your point about the poll being skewed is completely arbitrary and has no logical or fundamental backup so I don't accept it. People who are for the lottery are just as present as those against it.

SO, YOU ASSUME THAT THIS SITE IS A REPRESENTATIVE SAMPLE OF THE GA TICKET HOLDING POPULATION; I SAY IT’S A SKEWED SAMPLE TILTING TOWARD MORE DIE-HARDS WHO ARE MORE LIKELY TO WANT FIRST COME FIRST SERVED. WE CAN DISAGREE.

60% dissatisfied makes no sense. We can go on for ages about the non-scientific aspects of this survey. Believe me, I'm a sociology major. I know all about valid and reliable studies. However, one thing is clear to me: THE FANS, IN GENERAL, DON'T LIKE THIS SYSTEM. 15% IS LOW.

WELL, ABOUT 40% OF THEM HERE VOTED IN FAVOR OF THE LOTTERY ON THE INTERFERNCE POLL SO YOUR POINT SEEMS TO LACK LOGICAL FOUNDATION AS WELL; AND IT FALLS APART EVEN FURTHER IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE THIS SITE IS REPRESENTATIVE OF THE GA TICKET HOLDING POPULATION.

A real balanced approach would be to give 3/4 of the ellipse spots to those who get there first and 1/4 randomly, but the current policy is anything but fair and balanced.

BALANCE IS IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER – YOU FAVOR FIRST COME FIRST SERVED, SO YOUR RATIOS ARE NOT SURPRISING. WONDER WHAT THE BAND WOULD CALL BALANCED?

if that's the band's complaint, I've never heard it. Where's your source? Drawing upon a rumour to contradict a REAL visible complaint and logical consistency? I'm not sure I can buy that.

JUST DIG AROUND HERE A BIT, SEEK THE THOUGHTS OF THE MODS WHO HAVE SEEN IT ALL. I BELIEVE EVEN PAUL M. HAS SOME QUOTES ON THIS TOPIC.

I think the movie theatre is a perfect analogy. We all make different sacrifices in life to get what we want, whether it's at a U2 show or a grocery store. I'm also not sure what difference the high demand makes. Many products are in high demand and I don't see stores throwing in lottery systems to decide who gets what. Movie theatres don't change their priority policies on opening nights for popular movies, do they? ie. Star Wars? I don't think that because there's greater demand means you should make it less fair for those who make a sacrifice. If that's fair and balanced.

WELL, IF YOU BELIEVE THE MOVIES ARE A PERFECT ANALOGY, THEN CONSIDER TAKING OUR VARIOUS POSTS TO AN ECONOMICS PROFESSOR ON CAMPUS AND ASKING HIS / HER OPINION. HIGH DEMAND / LOW SUPPLY MAKE A VERY REAL DIFFERENCE AS COMPARED TO THE MOVIE ANALOGY. YOU CAN SEE ‘BARBERSHOP’ FOR 2 POSSIBLY 4 WEEKS STRAIGHT IN YOUR HOME TOWN, MANY TIMES PER DAY. NO REASONABE PERSON WOULD MAKE SIMILAR SACRIFICES TO SEE THE MOVIE THAT FANS MAKE TO SEE A U2 SHOW; DIE HARD OR NOT.

STAR WARS WILL RUN FOR WHAT, 8 WEEKS IN SOME TOWNS, U2 WON’T BE IN MOST TOWNS 8 HOURS – EVENTUALLY, PEOPLE CAN WAIT IT OUT AND SEE STAR WARS WITH A GREAT SEAT, NOT SO VERTIGO.

STORES AND RESTARAUNTS DON’T HOLD LOTTERIES, CUZ THEY ARE OPEN THE NEXT DAY AND THE NEXT, AND THEY CAN RE-STOCK THE SHELF WITH THE HIGH DEMAND / LOW SUPPLY PRODUCT – EVENTUALLY, YOU CAN GET WHATEVER IT IS.

YOU CAN’T DO THAT WITH A U2 SHOW AT THE LOCAL ARENA. – THE SUPPLY SIDE IS VERY LIMITED, THE DEMAND SIDE, OUTRAGEOUSLY HIGH. THERE IS A VERY MODEST MICRO ECONOMIC ANALOGY TO WATCHING A MOVIE OR GOING OUT TO EAT -- CONSUMPTION BEHAVIOR OF DISPOSABLE INCOME -- BEYOND THAT, MOVIE TICKET AND GA LOTTERY ANALOGIES ARE MILES APART, IMO.

AGAIN, GO CHECK WITH THE PROF, AND HAVE HIM / HER READ THE WHOLE THREAD FOR CONTEXT.

WISH YOU THE BEST IN YOUR ENDEAVOR -- AND PLEASE NOTE, I AGREE THAT THE LOTTERY SHOULD HAVE BEEN MADE PUBLIC IN ADVANCE -- THAT WOULD HAVE CHANGED SOME BEHAVIOR, WHO KNOWS HOW MUCH.

In reference to the poll, I think there should also be a caviat regarding if you have actually gone through the process yet.

Regardless of the fairness, my main complaint is that I am starting every U2 show with a rather large disappointment. The odds are something like 1-10 to 1-20 depending on who you speak with. Many of us wouldn't have bought tickets knowing this would be our odds. I certainly wouldn't and am having a very difficult time getting rid of mine at what I paid.

I have also heard accounts (sorry, no real proof..take it with a grain of salt) that Bono is not sold on the idea of a lottery yet. These accounts are coming from people who have had the discussion either with him or his security detail. Again...just saying that their may be some uneasiness about this with the band, but maybe not.

I do applaud both Klink and BWU2Bluffs for the manner in which this post is progressing. It is refreshing. Well played to both of you.

My summary of the system:

If I had it to do over again, I would have purchased differently. I think, regardless of your mind set, you are still disappointed when you don't get in. Regardless of the success of the lottery, you still need to line up very early to get within 3 or 4 people from the rail. If you show up at 7, you will be 15 people back from the rail (in my experience at the first 2 shows) or standing at the mix desk. Not fun, and not the experience we thought we were buying. Of course we are still grateful for being at a U2 show, I love them...but I don't want to stand at the back of the floor, and won't. I will sell my tickets first, if I can.

Or I will be forced to line up even earlier than I did last tour. My choice, yes, but what is necessary if you want to control your "floor destiny".

Last edited:
The OOTS said:

As it stands, everyone has the same chance right now of getting into the ellipse for any given show. What is not fair about that?

I sacrficed $49.50 for a ticket...just like you. If I choose to arrive at 7pm and you choose to arrive at 6am, we both have equal chance of getting into the ellipse. Seems very fair.

If neither of us get into the ellipse, your all day sacrifice will most likely reward you with a better spot on the outside.

Again, since we both paid the same price, my sacrifice should determine whether I get a better spot than you. It's the tie-breaker. That's the way it is in every other facet of society.

Jon

"SO, YOU ASSUME THAT THIS SITE IS A REPRESENTATIVE SAMPLE OF THE GA TICKET HOLDING POPULATION; I SAY IT’S A SKEWED SAMPLE TILTING TOWARD MORE DIE-HARDS WHO ARE MORE LIKELY TO WANT FIRST COME FIRST SERVED. WE CAN DISAGREE."

On the other hand, the majority of people here don't necessarily hold GA tickets or want to make the time to get there a day early. The sample could just as easily be skewed in the other direction. I will not argue that this is a representative sample because designing a representative study is a far more complicated task than a simple poll on a fan website. There are all kinds of validity issues there. Despite the vast number of potential problems with this poll, my point is simply that we cannot assume it to be skewed in one direction or the other.

"WELL, ABOUT 40% OF THEM HERE VOTED IN FAVOR OF THE LOTTERY ON THE INTERFERNCE POLL SO YOUR POINT SEEMS TO LACK LOGICAL FOUNDATION AS WELL; AND IT FALLS APART EVEN FURTHER IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE THIS SITE IS REPRESENTATIVE OF THE GA TICKET HOLDING POPULATION"

Not really. I would even be in favour of a lottery for 1/4 of the ellipse spots, if it were complimented by a first/first policy for the other 3/4. The current system has 15% support besaed on this admittedly problematic poll. However, I would also argue that it si the only evidence we have regarding public opinion.

"WELL, IF YOU BELIEVE THE MOVIES ARE A PERFECT ANALOGY, THEN CONSIDER TAKING OUR VARIOUS POSTS TO AN ECONOMICS PROFESSOR ON CAMPUS AND ASKING HIS / HER OPINION. HIGH DEMAND / LOW SUPPLY MAKE A VERY REAL DIFFERENCE AS COMPARED TO THE MOVIE ANALOGY. YOU CAN SEE ‘BARBERSHOP’ FOR 2 POSSIBLY 4 WEEKS STRAIGHT IN YOUR HOME TOWN, MANY TIMES PER DAY. NO REASONABE PERSON WOULD MAKE SIMILAR SACRIFICES TO SEE THE MOVIE THAT FANS MAKE TO SEE A U2 SHOW; DIE HARD OR NOT."

That's not exaclty true. The Star Wars Premier, for example, was sold out on a first come first serve basis. People were lined up for a long time to get in there and those that got there last didn't get in. I've seen people denied access to the 8:45am bus - the last one that would have made got them on time for work.... I understand the economic principles about which you speak, but I don't agree that especially high demand somehow magically requires a shift in the principles of fairness in deciding who gets what. Incredibly high demand for anything doesn't render principles of fairness irrelevant, obsolete or changeable.

"STORES AND RESTARAUNTS DON’T HOLD LOTTERIES, CUZ THEY ARE OPEN THE NEXT DAY AND THE NEXT, AND THEY CAN RE-STOCK THE SHELF WITH THE HIGH DEMAND / LOW SUPPLY PRODUCT – EVENTUALLY, YOU CAN GET WHATEVER IT IS.

YOU CAN’T DO THAT WITH A U2 SHOW AT THE LOCAL ARENA. – THE SUPPLY SIDE IS VERY LIMITED, THE DEMAND SIDE, OUTRAGEOUSLY HIGH. THERE IS A VERY MODEST MICRO ECONOMIC ANALOGY TO WATCHING A MOVIE OR GOING OUT TO EAT -- CONSUMPTION BEHAVIOR OF DISPOSABLE INCOME -- BEYOND THAT, MOVIE TICKET AND GA LOTTERY ANALOGIES ARE MILES APART, IMO.

AGAIN, GO CHECK WITH THE PROF, AND HAVE HIM / HER READ THE WHOLE THREAD FOR CONTEXT."

Again, many products and services (including the ones I mentioned) are in high demand at particular times on particular days for particular reasons. Popular movies may be there the next day, but I may not be able to attend then. If I don't get to the show I want to go to early enough, it may be sold out or my girlfriend may not get the seat next to me. That's life and that's fair to me. Lotteries have never determined access because they're not fair to those who are willing to make the sacrifices to be there early to gewt what they want. Merit is the key. We have shows in my business at which clients may purchase works of art. If the show opens at 8:30 am, the first person in line gets to enter and make the first selection, even for works of art that are in extremely high demand (and low supply). That person would surely feel cheated if we let the last person in first to make the same selection.

There are plenty of high demand/ low supply examples to draw from, none of which use lotteries to decide access principles and all of which use first come first served because they know it's fair. There are no shortage of examples at movie theatres on opening nights, at malls around christmas, at bus stops during rush hour and at restaurants on holidays.

I do agree to disagree with you. Best regards.

Jon

Last edited:
I better hope nobody whines about me holding spots in line and trying to get my parents in the elipse for Seattle 1 because thats what I plan on doing as i can't be seperated from them.. thank you to whomever for the posts about 3 people getting in :up: they aren't fans but i will do whatever is possible to make sure i have a good spot in line with them.

also, I haven't spoken to them about how GA works but i will as the date nears.

Klink said:

Again, since we both paid the same price, my sacrifice should determine whether I get a better spot than you. It's the tie-breaker. That's the way it is in every other facet of society.

Jon

And again, your sacrifice will be that you will have a better spot outside the ellipse than someone who arrives later if you don't get beeped in.

So what is not fair about the ellipse lottery??

Last edited:
BWU2Buffs said:

Move on.

Agree, agree, and agree!

:clap:

The OOTS said:

And again, your sacrifice will be that you will have a better spot outside the ellipse than someone who arrives later if you don't get beeped in.

So what is not fair about the ellipse lottery??

What is not fair is that somebody who makes a lesser sacrifice gets the better spot inside the ellipse. It's relative.

The premise some seem to be operating on is that it's fair that the spots outside the ellipse should be decided based on merit whereas to get inside the ellipse is a privilege for which random selection is fair. It has yet to be logically asserted that there is a reason for operating on different (inconsistent) principles of fairness for access inside vs. outside the ellipse. Why are the spots in the ellipse to be decided on different principles than the wpots outside the ellipse? That question has to be answered before the dichotomy can be justified.

With all due respect to those who want us(me) to move on, I understand this issue is getting tiring to you. That said, maybe you don't have anything to lose by it. Telling people disadvantaged by this unfair strategy to move on is relatively convenient for you in light of that, but inconvenient for me. I will not tell you to stop posting how you feel about this, but I'm going to ignore those posts because I feel it's a relevant issue and have every right NOT to move on. I could just as easily suggest that people don't read/respond to opinions about the ellipse if it's getting old, but that's up to them.

P.S. You might think that I'm not grateful to be going to a U2 show after all this. I hope all those involved here understand that I feel fortunate to be able to go see them. However, to me that fact does not mean that all policies magically become fair and justified. To me, gratitude for "x" does not imply that fairness "y" is achieved.

Jon

Last edited:
I've spent a good half-hour of valuable work time reading over this stuff, trying to educate myself about the GA line-up policies --- and I'm still confused!

I appreciate everyone's input, opinions, and sharing-of-knowledge, but I still have some questions for anyone who might be able to answer. I still have no opinion of this policy.

1) I am a long-time Prop member and current U2 subscriber. I was able to obtain all GA tix for 4 shows this year --- some resulting from the pre-sale, and some not. Is there special recognition for people with U2.com memberships (i.e. showing their card, ID, profile print-out, etc.)? For instance, I plan on getting in line very early in the morning, with U2 member card in hand. This has gotta help me, no?

2) Are U2/venue officials recognizing U2 members and placing them in a separate line? If so, are they also recognizing that some members were unable to obtain "true" pre-sale tix from Ticketmaster (i.e. the ones with the "FAN" codes on them)?

3) If I am FIRST in line, will U2 fans get annoyed/insulted if I paint a big sign on my shirt saying "I Was Here At 3AM."

Gracias.

Last edited:
I promise, my last post on the topic at hand --
Response to Klink

On the other hand, the majority of people here don't necessarily hold GA tickets or want to make the time to get there a day early. The sample could just as easily be skewed in the other direction. I will not argue that this is a representative sample because designing a representative study is a far more complicated task than a simple poll on a fan website. There are all kinds of validity issues there. Despite the vast number of potential problems with this poll, my point is simply that we cannot assume it to be skewed in one direction or the other.

AGREED, SO ESSENTIALLY WHAT WE HAVE IS EVEN WORSE. WE AGREE THAT ANY POLL HERE OR ON ANOTHER WEBSITE IS NOT A VALID SAMPLE BASE. AND THIS LEAVES US WITH ONLY THE ANECTDOTAL EVIDENCE FROM VARIOUS POSTS AND CONVERSATIONS– SOME SUPPORTING THE LOTTERY, SOME AGAINST.

AND NOBODY CAN DRAW ANY FIRM CONCLUSIONS FROM ANECTDOTALS. SO YOUR, OR MY, CONJECTURE ABOUT HOW MANY PEOPLE SUPPORT OR DON’T SUPPORT IS JUST MEANINGLESS BLATHER. – AND I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE QUOTES ON THAT ONE (-:

Not really. I would even be in favour of a lottery for 1/4 of the ellipse spots, if it were complimented by a first/first policy for the other 3/4. The current system has 15% support besaed on this admittedly problematic poll. However, I would also argue that it si the only evidence we have regarding public opinion.

YOU ARE CONTRADICTING YOURSELF. IN ONE BREATH YOU SAY 15% SUPPORT, IN ANOTHER BREATH YOU NOTE THAT “THERE ARE ALL KINDS OF VALIDITY ISSUES” AND YOU “WON’T ARGUE THAT THIS IS A REPRESENTATIVE SAMPLE” EVEN WORSE, YOU NOTE 15% SUPPORT BUT IN THE POLL HERE IT’S CLOSER TO 40%.

ONE FACT WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO AGREE ON – THE INTERFERENCE POLL DATA IS RUNNING ABOUT 60-40 AGAINST, SO HOW CAN YOU INFER 15% SUPPORT? BECAUSE THE VALIDITY ISSUES THAT YOU DULY NOTE SKEW THINGS THE DIRECTION YOU DESIRE? BECAUSE THE PUBLIC OPINION THAT YOU READ SUPPORTS YOUR POSITION? I HOPE YOU ARE MORE CAREFUL WITH YOUR OWN RESEARCH FINDINGS.

That's not exaclty true. The Star Wars Premier, for example, was sold out on a first come first serve basis. People were lined up for a long time to get in there and those that got there last didn't get in. I've seen people denied access to the 8:45am bus - the last one that would have made got them on time for work.... I understand the economic principles about which you speak, but I don't agree that especially high demand somehow magically requires a shift in the principles of fairness in deciding who gets what. Incredibly high demand for anything doesn't render principles of fairness irrelevant, obsolete or changeable.

TRUE, BUT PEOPLE CAN STILL SEE STAR WARS SOMETIME IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS. AND ANOTHER BUS WILL EVENTURALY COME BY, OR YOU CAN GRAB A CAB. I THINK YOUR MISSING THE POINT ON THE SUPPLY SIDE OF THIS EQUATION. SUPPLY AND DEMAND DOES NOT MEASURE FAIRNESS, FAIRNESS IS SUBJECTIVE. IN THIS CASE, THE BAND HAS CHOSEN A LOTTERY TO RESOLVE A VERY UNIQUE HIGH DEMAND / LOW SUPPLY EQUATION BY INTRODUCING A LOTTERY. THEY APPARENTLY BELIEVE A LOTTERY IS THE MOST FAIR CONSIDERING THE FANS AND THEIR OWN GOALS.

Again, many products and services (including the ones I mentioned) are in high demand at particular times on particular days for particular reasons. Popular movies may be there the next day, but I may not be able to attend then. If I don't get to the show I want to go to early enough, it may be sold out or my girlfriend may not get the seat next to me. That's life and that's fair to me. Lotteries have never determined access because they're not fair to those who are willing to make the sacrifices to be there early to gewt what they want. Merit is the key. We have shows in my business at which clients may purchase works of art. If the show opens at 8:30 am, the first person in line gets to enter and make the first selection, even for works of art that are in extremely high demand (and low supply). That person would surely feel cheated if we let the last person in first to make the same selection.

There are plenty of high demand/ low supply examples to draw from, none of which use lotteries to decide access principles and all of which use first come first served because they know it's fair. There are no shortage of examples at movie theatres on opening nights, at malls around christmas, at bus stops during rush hour and at restaurants on holidays.

IN CLOSING, DO YOU HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT ANY OF YOUR ANALOGIES ARE AS SEVERE AS THE DESIRE TO GET INTO THE ELLIPSE ON ONE NIGHT IN ONE TOWN?

MOVIES? COME ON, THERE ARE MANY MANY OPTIONS ON THE SUPPLY SIDE – YOU CAN’T REALISTICALLY ARGUE THAT YOU CAN ONLY SEE STAR WARS ON ONLY ONE SPECIFIC NIGHT AND BE SATISFIED.

I AGREE THAT LOTTERIES ARE NOT NORMALLY USED TO SOLVE HIGH DEMAND / LOW SUPPLY. PRICE DOES THAT, BUT IN THIS CASE PRICE IS AN OPTION THAT’S EVEN LESS FAIR – WHAT, BUY YOUR WAY INTO THE ELLIPSE OR AUCTION OFF THE WRISTBANDS?

THIS PLACE WOULD BE LIT UP LIKE A NUCLEAR CHRISTMAS TREE AND SERVERS WOULD BE CRASHING ALL DAY LONG IF THAT HAPPENED.

BTW, YOU ARE GOING TO BE REALLY BUMMED IF AND WHEN SOME MOVIE THEATRE IN A LARGE METROPOLITAN AREA DOES THE FIRST EVER LOTTERY FOR OPENING NIGHT OF “REVENGE OF THE SITH” – AND IT COULD HAPPEN.

REGARDS AS WELL

For future reference, it's hard to read all caps. I'm temped to skip half of what you type because of that. Please stop it if you want people to read what you are thinking. And you don't like the movie, bus stop, etc. analogy, why not put every other GA show in the history of mankind in the analogy instead? Name me one other GA show that turned into a lotto show after it went on sale.

I would have to guess "none."

My dictionary's definition of "general admission" is as follows:

"The section of unreserved seating for an audience, as at an auditorium or stadium."

The lottery system completely goes against the definition of GA; specifically when people are given wristbands based on what some computer spits out --- thus RESERVING a spot in the bomb shelter for them... and giving them preferred seating over lottery "losers" (i.e., people who were ther 17 hours before them!).

Last edited:
Hey, aren't there some folks lined up as we speak for the first showing of the next SW movie? U2 has yet to see someone show up that early. :) I'd hate to see someone tell them they lost a lotto. My guest would be they'd be a little cranky after seven weeks in line...

Back
Top Bottom