did Bonos ONE speech in chicago make anyone else cry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
Does Bono's speech before ONE on the Chicago DVD bring anyone else to tears? I was watching it today and there is just something about the music and the way he tells it with so much conviction that I have a hard time controlling my emotion...its incredible!

I was front row at that show...I was honestly just wishing they'd start the damn song! It was a good speech, but too long in my opinion and it was pretty much exactly the same as the night before.

I think Bono's "speeches" are at their best when they're nice and short.

I got choked up at the May 7th show when they played "Running To Stand Still". Such a sad song:sad:

europop2005 said:
Does Bono's speech before ONE on the Chicago DVD bring anyone else to tears? I was watching it today and there is just something about the music and the way he tells it with so much conviction that I have a hard time controlling my emotion...its incredible!
Maybe that's what the woman on the bonus disk meant.

("When they played One, I was like: aaahhhnnngggrrrnnnyyyyy" - always wondered what she meant by that)

I am all for Bono making his speeches shorter. Short and sweet. Or vary them because they seem to sound the same at the shows. His singing sometimes can bring me to tears tho. And I would one day LOVE to hear the man speak publicly.

Bono speech was great i felt it.... Bono is a great man with great values and i wish people on the forum would realise this. He really cares and more people should care like he does...

I skip that part every time I watch the dvd. It was too long and seemed contrived for the cameras.

Don't get me wrong, I love Bono for what he does for people without a voice. His heart is as big as anyone's. But sometimes he just plain overdoes it in concert and that was one of those times. I don't blame Larry one bit for timing Bono's speeches. It's a rock concert not a G8 summit.

I didn't cry watching the dvd. But when I saw them live the part that made me shiver and brought tears to my eyes was "Don't become a monster in order to defeat a monster"... And the tears didn't go away until Miss Sarajevo (the following song) finished. It was the most emotional moment of the show. At least for me...

The first time I heard the speech live (Chicago 5/7), it felt powerful. Beyond that, no. On the DVD it's just annoying.

I appreciate the sentiment, but it's so painfully scripted and overdone and it really just makes the show come to a crashing halt. The shorter Bono makes his speeches, the better. They kill the momentum. Plus One (the song) is just boring as shit anyway. The speech just makes it worse.

annie_vox said:
I didn't cry watching the dvd. But when I saw them live the part that made me shiver and brought tears to my eyes was "Don't become a monster in order to defeat a monster"... And the tears didn't go away until Miss Sarajevo (the following song) finished. It was the most emotional moment of the show. At least for me...

Yeah I love that quote -one of the best

though I agree with previous comments that some of his speeches have been FAR too long. - they lose their impact.

its just the realism of what he says...when he gets into the part when he says "its not ok anymore" i get shivers he says it simply because its true!

The problem about his speeches is that most of us already listened to it countless times. On the concert, on DVDs, things he says on TV... But when you listen to it for the first time it just has an impact! It's like "Wake Up!! This is not right!"
But after that first impact you already know what he's going to say and it becomes boring. But that doesn't mean that you don't believe it and don't feel it.
At least I still feel it, but it's like "Yeah Bono I know... Why don't you sing now?" But I understand that he has to pass the message to everybody so I try not to complain;)

The only time I ever came close to sniffling at a live show was when the curtains came down with the confetti for COBL. The Montreal crowd was amazing, and to be on the floor...

annie_vox said:
I didn't cry watching the dvd. But when I saw them live the part that made me shiver and brought tears to my eyes was "Don't become a monster in order to defeat a monster"...
Wait a minute..... Bono's now using his own lyrics for speeches? (and you become a monster, so the monster will not break you - Peace on Earth) :eyebrow:

Yes, his speeches really are inspired these days. :|

The SBS speech on the R&H DVD, that's what I call real. :drool:

WalkOn21 said:
Wait a minute..... Bono's now using his own lyrics for speeches? (and you become a monster, so the monster will not break you - Peace on Earth) :eyebrow:

Yes, his speeches really are inspired these days. :|

The SBS speech on the R&H DVD, that's what I call real. :drool:
not really, because he says DONT become a monster in order to defeat a monster, quite different to what he is saying in the song

His speech, as usual, was impressive. But i didn't cry.

The only time i cried during the DVD was when i thought to myself "why the fook did'nt i buy U2 tickets?" :grumpy:

i usually love his speeches before "one" but I just watched the DVD for the first time this past weekend, and I have to admit I thought he went on a bit long...

I just kept picturing Larry behind the drums timing him...

Back
Top Bottom