Chicago DVD should be cancelled imo! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > General Tour Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2005, 12:47 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 03:54 PM
Should have done Boston...it was f-in insane

Old 05-29-2005, 12:53 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 11:54 AM
i totally agree with you L03VIk, the videos they showed on GMA were disappointing. they did not capture the vertigo live show. and i did hear that bono's voice was a lot weaker than most other shows from this tour. i really hope the DVD will have a different mix.

Old 05-29-2005, 01:04 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by adeel
i'v heard lots of bootlegs from this tour and i agree bono seems to be struggling.........the rest of the band however is at their PEAK!!!! also chicago 4 is one of bono's best nights vocally this year.......but i dont think chicago 4 is goin to be used for the dvd definitely one of the best performances by the band so far on this tour

P.S
bono's studio voice is as good as ever.......but he can barely sing live these days (listen to dirty day from zoo tv sydney for comparison - one of best vocal performances of ALL time; and not just by bono!!!!)
He can barely sing live these day?! We must not be listening to the same bootlegs. While his voice was better during ZooTV, this is the best he's sounded since then. I mean, compare songs like Streets or Pride from Vertigo bootlegs to Elevation bootlegs. There's no comparison.

Anyhow, back to the make topic. I was a little confused when I heard Vertigo on GMA. I was at that show, and I really don't remember his voice scratching like that. I've heard a few non-GMA songs from Chicago III, and he was in top form. His voice also sounds great on the 3 Chicago bootlegs (although I think Chicago IV was vocally his weakest of the 4). So, I'm not sure what happened with the GMA performances, but I'm hoping the DVD uses a different audio source.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:43 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by L03VIk

I didn´t wan´t to be rude or anything. I just didn´t understand what you said about it´s hard to judge Bonos voice in audience recordings, since the GMA shots where proshot.
Dude, enough w. the "proshot". Were you at any of the Chicago concerts? Just forget about ALL of the recordings and listen to the people who were there..all four shows were awesome! I haven't seen the GMA clips, but personally I've always found thse type of clips to be misleading. It's like the "proshot" clips use the soundboard or earpiece recordings which overexaggerate Bono's vocals. IMO, good audience recordings are much better indicators if you want to rate the overall performance.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:05 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by markoajda
On the contrary. I think Bono sounds way better then he did on Elevation tour (Slane and Boston combined). And you can't really tell how Bono sounds from audience recordings.

I think Bono sounds as best as he can. His best voice is gone since min 90's. You have to remember that.
I thought he sounded great for Slane.
I have to agree with you on Boston though.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:13 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:54 PM
I was the Chicago 2 show,his birthday. In fact we sat next to one of the cameras that had a dead center shot from the 2nd balcony where we were. Personally I thought Bono sounded incredible. Also watched the GMA clips and to me he sounded just as good. The crowd was incredibly worked up and I think it's going to look great on the dvd! Hope they add the part of everyone chanting happy birthday to him.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:34 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosBaby12
I was the Chicago 2 show,his birthday. In fact we sat next to one of the cameras that had a dead center shot from the 2nd balcony where we were. Personally I thought Bono sounded incredible. Also watched the GMA clips and to me he sounded just as good. The crowd was incredibly worked up and I think it's going to look great on the dvd! Hope they add the part of everyone chanting happy birthday to him.
Chicago 3 was Bono's birthday, not 2. Chicago 3 is the DVD and it will look and sound just fine. If there is a particular weak part unfortunately they will probebly splice in part of Chicago 2 to even it out. These shows were good performances (although what I heard of Chicago 1, it was one of the weaker Vertigo shows, sounds uninspired and they have a lot of miscues) and the fact that 3 was Bono's birthday will add a festive atmosphere to it.

I just dont think the band was ready to shoot a DVD yet. Seemed like they filmed too early on this tour. They should have filmed one of the stadium shows this summer and an arena show this fall. Would have worked better as they would have the songs down completely. They were still ironing out the way they played songs and the lighting for them in Chicago. That is not a time to shoot the official DVD.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:44 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

I thought Bono's vocals were OUTSTANDING last night in Boston.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:28 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 12:54 PM
Bono will overdub his parts if they are lacking, he always has...makes it much more enjoyable. If I want a rough honest version of what occured that night...that's what the boots are for.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:11 PM   #25
The Fly

Re: Chicago DVD should be cancelled imo!

Quote:
Originally posted by L03VIk
I have no problem buying a U2 DVD that isn´t top-of-the-line, but if I was not a fan, I would be really disappointed.

What do you think?
I think you're totally wrong. If you weren't a fan, you wouldn't have been listening to tons of other boots to be able to compare.

BTW, I was at Chicago III & he sounded great.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:12 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:54 PM
It doesn't matter what show was night 1 or night 4. Personally I wasn't there to count the nights. All that matters was that I was at his birthday concert and I thought the band was great. And any true U2 fan will still want to buy the dvd even if some feel that it was too early to do the taping. Who's to say if they waited till later on to do it that something wouldn't happen then to mess it all up? Way I see it if you aren't satisified with it than don't buy it!
Old 05-29-2005, 05:40 PM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 04:54 PM
IMO it can be better.

Same stuff from Boston and Slane: out of focus, extreme close-ups, objects between the cam and the band etc.

Not that I don't like those DVDs but I think this Tour needs a new shooting style.
In this way it'll be another reason to it be compared to the Elevation Tour.

At least he* didn't use the same effect in "after the flood when the colors came out" LOL.

*edit: [he] = the director
Old 05-29-2005, 05:52 PM   #28
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by victor_f
[B]IMO it can be better.

Same stuff from Boston and Slane: out of focus, extreme close-ups, objects between the cam and the band etc.
GMA put this together, not the director for U2.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I think they should record in several cities and either choose the best one at the end, or make a DVD with multiple nights. It could either be 7-8 songs from maybe 4 nights (I know that isn't popular with a lot of people), or they could make it a multiple disc set to show the different stage production and setlists in the US, Europe, etc.

Haven't heard the Chicago bootlegs or GMA clips though, so I can't really comment...
Old 05-29-2005, 06:36 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal

Haven't heard the Chicago bootlegs or GMA clips though, so I can't really comment...
You should. Last I checked they were avaliable at u2neophobia.com .

Chicago 4 is a great recording. Although now that Bad->40 has been repeated and UTEOTW has been played a few more times, plus WOWY it's not as amazing as it was at first. Still well worth a listen.