Bono was in Sydney

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am going to take so many photos it is untrue!!!

I cannot wait to be in U2 land :) :wink:

It will be so great seeing places that I have seen in so many pics of the band

Lisa

Dulce de Leche said:

On a U2 board we follow the band and that includes stuff like where they go...

Uh, no. I frankly couldn't care less where U2 are. It's their personal life, they can do whatever they like and I certainly don't need to know where they're going or have "evidence" that they went there.

I'm here because I enjoy the music, not because I'm a stalker.

Axver said:

Uh, no. I frankly couldn't care less where U2 are. It's their personal life, they can do whatever they like and I certainly don't need to know where they're going or have "evidence" that they went there.

Then why are you posting in a thread entitled "Bono was in Sydney?"

Good for you that you're in it for the music and not a "stalker," but there are other people around here interested in what the band is doing on their break. You don't have to come here and call names and/or berate them for their interest.

Thanks Aislinn

I am not a stalker, just want to see the band I adore and tell them how much I apprieciate what they do.

Lisa

Axver said:

Like a poster above said...Maybe you don`t care but maybe others do and that doesn`t make us stalkers. And if you don`t care that`s fine, but don`t post in this thread and label others like that. :down:

Axver said:

Now, now Axver, we all enjoy U2 in our own way, why else are you going to be seeing them in March about 5 times???? :wink:

lisa2004 said:

LOL - are you going to see Flavia!

She said people are coming over - are you going to try and find the boys whilst you are over!

I wish I knew if they were in Dublin

Lisa

yeah, going to see flavia!

dunno about the boys - the only thing i plan on trying to find in dublin is the bottom of a pint of guinness!

while it would be cool to run into them, i dont plan on actually looking for anyone and i think i've seen all the U2 spots before (except Bonos house which I'm not interested in) so i'm really just going to see people, have a laugh and drink a lot!

if you've never been before you'll have fun, dublin is a great place and there is a lot to see (especially of u2!)
the record shop round from the clarence is really awesome but i never byu anything from there - the one thing i did buy first time i was there cost a fortune and turned out to be a fake. but its nice to look anyway.
and dont forget to go to the guinness storehouse - best views in the city!

Last edited:
Yeah!!! Please post a thread with lots of pics, i'm sooooo jealous, we are planning to go to Ireland in 2007 with all the family, my Mum is from Belfast , thats why its been a while, not many happy memories there!:(

But i'm looking forward to do the U2 trek!
Oh, and also catching up with family!:hyper:

Last edited:
blueeyedgirl said:

Now, now Axver, we all enjoy U2 in our own way, why else are you going to be seeing them in March about 5 times???? :wink:

:lmao:

lisa2004 said:
LOL, have a great time

Where are the best places to go out at night then?

Lisa

theres too much choice - everytime i go there i find another bar that rocks! depends how loud and drunk you want things to be or not be, and whether you want live music or just local pub or somewhere classier or what.
just walk down any road in dublin and you'll find something you like!

As I recall, Ali's brother and his family live in Sydney. Anyway, here's a news item from The Daily Telegraph:

Bono's Sydney hideaway

January 17, 2006

HE'S a rock god the world over, so exactly how did U2 megastar Bono manage to avoid being detected during his two week Sydney stopover?

Perhaps it was due to the fact that his choice of location was the secluded haven of Bungan Beach -- nestled between the northern beaches of Mona Vale and Newport.

Isolated by a steep hillside, the idyllic Bungan Beach is hidden from the main road and accessible only by a walking track -- making it the perfect holiday spot for one of the world's biggest names to indulge in a bit of well earned R and R.

With his wife Ali Hewson and kids Jordan, Memphis, Elijah and John in tow, Bono's clan were just like any other family enjoying a Beautiful Day on the beach. They stayed at a palatial pad boasting an in-home cinema and lap pool.

So he WAS in Australia for 2 weeks and now he has left!!!!

Lucky Bono - sounds like he had an amazing time and it sounds an amazing place

Lisa

lisa2004 said:
So he WAS in Australia for 2 weeks and now he has left!!!!

Lucky Bono - sounds like he had an amazing time and it sounds an amazing place

Lisa

he was at a film premier in Dublin January 11 or 12th, so couldn't have been in Australia for 2 weeks, unless he's flying back and forth, and that seems unlikely.

You guys enjoy your trip to Dublin! :wave:

Ok, funny story!!

A lady my sister works with returned from a break in Oz just after New Year. She was staying in Newport and the area was a buzz with rumors of a mega star staying in the area!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is now a little shocked to learn that Bono had been there!!!

She could of got us an autograph!

So that means he was there before New Year and left Oz for the Premiere

Dublin (and maybe Bono) here we come

Lisa

LOL - Andrea, Bono was on your door step for 2 weeks.

The area sounds amazing though!

Are you seeing U2 live when they play Oz in March?

Lisa

Dublin next week

Hey Lisa,

I'm going to Dublin next week as well (leave on Saturday afternoon). I've been there many times and know all of the usual stops and haunts very well.

that link on @U2 is a great reference, but if you need anyone to show you around, I'm happy to help.

The record store you guys refer to near the hotel is called Rhythm Records, and it's VERY dangerous! amazing stuff, and the guy that runs it is really cool. Be prepared to spend some money! it's really hard to walk out of there and not break yourself b/c he has so much.

you should go see Maria McKee's solo show (former singer for Lone Justice who toured with U2 a ton back in the War, U-Fire and J-Tree days) while you are there.. she's playing at Crawdaddys in Dublin on Wed the 25th.

http://www.pod.ie/about_cdaddy.php

shmeedt said:

God, I love that record shop. I think it got busted recently because I noticed a huge cut back in U2 bootlegs there. I always go there when I go back to dublin.

I was there back in May.. they still have a ton of stuff. esp DVD's of the current tour. I was amazed.. in May I was shows that had just happened like 2-3 weeks earler.

of course, you can find all of this at u2torrents.com and it's more economical and well, more honest too.

what's better at Rhythm are the rare singles (vinyl and CD) but they are really expensive. Like more so than what you see on Ebay sometimes..

can't blame them, they are just taking advantage of being right there in Dublin. But they are nice people, hardcore fans, fly all around Europe going to see them as well.

1stOne said:
You can feel U2 in the air in Dublin. Did the Dockers pub get flattened? We were made very welcome in there. Is the new tower studio finished yet?

the building Dockers was in was still there back in May, but it was close to being torn down. They had the contruction panels out in front that that block.. so it looked completely different. kinda sad.

and there was a little makeshift memorial from U2 fans for the long gone fav stop for a pint. Windmill Lane area looks different too b/c some of the buildings across from the studio have now been flattened too.

the Tower is still a good ways from being finished.. HQ is pretty much the only old building still standing in the area. but when I was there last, the Tower was just the beginning frames of a building.. the only reason I knew it was the tower was b/c a sign was in front of it (all of the buildings down there have posters in front showing what they will be)

if you've ever been to the area before, the way it used to be.. you'll be shocked at how different it looks.. and especially at what they are planning.

I have some photos from back in May, but I dont have a subscription here so I can't post them. Happy to email them to someone if anyone is interested. Can also post some when I get back from my trip next week.. but someone will have to do that for me.

:wave: Hi Everybody - - I'm going to Dublin next week too!

I'm going with Grindstone, actually . . . we're leaving on Saturday, meeting up in Chicago and then flying on to the Emerald Isle.

This is my first trip there, too! I've wanted to go for YEARS - - and it's finally gonna happen!!

Can't wait!!!

Grindstone said:

the building Dockers was in was still there back in May, but it was close to being torn down. They had the contruction panels out in front that that block.. so it looked completely different. kinda sad.

and there was a little makeshift memorial from U2 fans for the long gone fav stop for a pint. Windmill Lane area looks different too b/c some of the buildings across from the studio have now been flattened too.

the Tower is still a good ways from being finished.. HQ is pretty much the only old building still standing in the area. but when I was there last, the Tower was just the beginning frames of a building.. the only reason I knew it was the tower was b/c a sign was in front of it (all of the buildings down there have posters in front showing what they will be)

if you've ever been to the area before, the way it used to be.. you'll be shocked at how different it looks.. and especially at what they are planning.

I have some photos from back in May, but I dont have a subscription here so I can't post them. Happy to email them to someone if anyone is interested. Can also post some when I get back from my trip next week.. but someone will have to do that for me.

Hi Grindstone!

It is our first trip to Dublin and we cannot wait

We have checked out @U2 for links and are going to check out all the sights. It might be good to meet up though - maybe have a drink at the Clarence or something

We fly out on Friday - so could meet up Sat pm or Sunday

Lisa

lisa2004 said:

Hi Grindstone!

It is our first trip to Dublin and we cannot wait

We have checked out @U2 for links and are going to check out all the sights. It might be good to meet up though - maybe have a drink at the Clarence or something

We fly out on Friday - so could meet up Sat pm or Sunday

Lisa

Hey, have fun! You're gonna love it.

I don't get into town until like 6am on Sunday, so both those days are probably out b/c I'll be pretty tired Sunday and we already have plans with friends. How long are you staying? We would could meet at the Clarance on Tuesday or Wednesday if you're still in town. We're staying for the week. so just lemme know.

have a safe trip!

We go home on Sunday - this is a quick last minute trip in a bid to try and meet Bono!!!!

We had always planned to go again June/July so will spend longer there then

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom