Bono & Edge talk to Dave Fanning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramblin rose

Site Team
Staff member
There's a great thread on Pleba with the interview:

http://forum.interference.com/t131489.html

Here's a excerpt which I thought was particularly relevant to a lot of the discussions that go on here :lol:

Bono:That is kind of, like, heh heh, you must have been there, but no, because again, some of our best lyrics are Edge's. I think some of the guitar parts are probably mine. I don't know which is which, they all disappear into each other. But the point you're making, are we, you know, rock gods, surrounded by people who tell us what we're going to hear?

I wish. It is rough, to be in U2 is a violence, because not only do you have to put up with him and Larry Mullen and Adam Clayton and Paul McGuinness but then you have Ali and you have Gavin Friday, you know there's a lot of people around us, people we grew up with, and remember they don't see somebody in a rock band, because they've known you since before you were in a band. It's murderous. Can we have some sycophants, is what I'd like to know. Even the people who work for us are rough. OK, your audience are genuine, they are not going to pull you aside, but even the U2 audience . . .

Here's a classic example - not this tour, last tour - Elevation tour. We're filming the tour for the DVD in Boston, we have a row with our fans, right, because there's people on the road who are in the first row every night. There's like a caravan of them. We're saying, can we just play to the people of the town we're in, instead of one that's following us? They organise a sitdown in the heart of the stage front. You wouldn't do that while we're filming. I mean, we understand you make a protest but not while we're filming. So even our audience are rough.

Go to U2 internet sites, they're murder. I mean, where is this sycophancy, can I ask someone?

Edge: But it does keep you sharp, yeah, it keeps you on your toes, because nothing is going to be tolerated that doesn't stand up.

Being honest, even with yourself, is difficult sometimes when everywhere you look there is criticism.

Interesting that the negativity surrounding Boston is still on their minds. The band did get tired of seeing the same faces at every show on Elevation. Now fast forward to Vertigo. :hmm: wonder why they have a lottery for the ellipse for the N. American shows???!!! Gee, would it eliminate this problem?? :hmm: Do the math.

The Boston comments surprised me because I'm not sure they've ever really officially commented on it before. I understand both view points, but when it happened, I remember reading a lot of really whiney posts on this board from people who were really just thinking of themselves... a lot of me, me, me and tough shit for everyone else. There are a great deal of people who think the band should do things a certain way and just won't let it go if another direction is taken, or (heaven forbid!) if a mistake is made like with the ticket fiasco. I would hate to have to deal with all of that scrutiny. I don't think I could.

Now, play more songs off of Unforgettable Fire or I'll never forgive you...:wink:

It was nice to read their view point on that after this long. It was different then I expected. But I can respect what they thought about the whole thing.

As for the war stuff dealing with Americans, I hope Bono never finds himself alone with me in a dark alley. He would have to get a severe talking too! :wink:

Seriously it did rub me a bit the wrong way his generalizations that most Americans support the war. But I won't hold it against the band. Its one mans opinion and he is human after all. He isn't God, even though sometimes some of us think he is a bit of a deity. :wink:

What happened with at Boston during the filming?:huh: Anyone care to explain?

Palace_Hero said:

Then there will be a murder-suicide in the city of Rockingham, Western Australia involving a man and his dog.

Oh Palace we wouldn't want you to do that now, would we!? How about we invade the Kiwis instead? NZ wouldn't mind a huge influx of Americans, would they? :wink:

"Go to U2 internet sites, they're murder. I mean, where is this sycophancy, can I ask someone?"

So they DO visit discussion boards. Interesting.

LJT said:

Thanks i have read some of it now....

I think Bono should have unleashed Larry at them he would have had some better phrases for the sit-down protesters than even such a witty person as Bono could come up with:wink:

:lol: I actually thought Larry would go after them! Check out the beginning of Desire on the Boston DVD. Larry looks over at the protest and shakes his head in disgust.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

:lol: I actually thought Larry would go after them! Check out the beginning of Desire on the Boston DVD. Larry looks over at the protest and shakes his head in disgust.

haha i remember saying to my brother while watching the DVD about Larry looking pissed off but i need to check out for his head shaking, thanks:lol:

so its looking like we have to boston protesters to blame for the lottery

i like them even less now

financeguy said:
"Go to U2 internet sites, they're murder. I mean, where is this sycophancy, can I ask someone?"

So they DO visit discussion boards. Interesting.

YES, the one they own!! :laugh:

They also have people that work for them that do check the net. So they get an idea that way also. When the band is recording or touring they are not doing much web surfing. They dont have time.

Blue Room said:
Interesting that the negativity surrounding Boston is still on their minds. The band did get tired of seeing the same faces at every show on Elevation. Now fast forward to Vertigo. :hmm: wonder why they have a lottery for the ellipse for the N. American shows???!!! Gee, would it eliminate this problem?? :hmm: Do the math.

EXACTLY!!! :)

I posted about this (along with many others) after that little Boston "protest." Everyone said, "watch -- there will be no GA all-day lineup next tour, thanks to this."

And sure enough...

:(

[q]There's like a caravan of them... They organise a sitdown in the heart of the stage front. You wouldn't do that while we're filming. I mean, we understand you make a protest but not while we're filming. [/q]

Thank you for your lovely protest, Wirelings! :wink: Your voice was heard and the result was the lottery! :) Job well done!

:down:

Why SOME U2.com folks are worrisome

bono said

"OK, your audience are genuine, they are not going to pull you aside, but even the U2 audience . . .

Here's a classic example - not this tour, last tour - Elevation tour. We're filming the tour for the DVD in Boston, we have a row with our fans, right, because there's people on the road who are in the first row every night. There's like a caravan of them. We're saying, can we just play to the people of the town we're in, instead of one that's following us? They organise a sitdown in the heart of the stage front."

at several shows this caravan has shown up on THIS TOUR and has manipulated others into splitting lines on non presale show days etc

they wear there "u2 roadie" outfit and advise fans that thwere will be a line for them only then tey let their freind s in ahaed of people who may have lined up hrs before

not all of us can

afford 40 bucks to be a .com member

travel around from show to show

something needs to change and if the band does have people on the websites (not just u2.com which is managed by a BIG corparation that buys the rights to list themselves as offical and distrubute offical merchandise) then perhaps the change will take place

anyone ever been able to have an effect or direct contact with the management?

I just think there has to be a reason why they have lottery in the US but not over here in Europe...and please nobody tell me they couldn't do it in Europe too if they felt it was necessary.

I think it's unbelievable and crazy that those people sat down during the filming of a dvd :yell: ... just imagine how let down the band must have felt that day - all the filming stress and on top of it they get f$cked by people that claim to be hardcore fans :down:...and why? Just because U2 tried to play to a local front row for 1 or 2 gigs? No wonder they made sure that the same thing wouldn't happen to them again for the filming of the Chicago dvd - and lottery was the only way to ensure that.

You know, people should realise on their own that it's just not right to hog up the best spots on every single gig of a tour. In a way it's sad that U2 has to 'tell' them that with the lottery. And don't get me wrong here, I love to be front row and I would have the money and time to go to front row at tons of gigs BUT I just don't think it's fair when there are so many others that never have seen U2 from the front row.

Btw, the thread on zootopia about the same fans first row at every gig is gone now...

Last edited:
Doppelgang said:

they wear there "u2 roadie" outfit and advise fans that thwere will be a line for them only then tey let their freind s in ahaed of people who may have lined up hrs before

I think that's the only reason for the stupid Ga numbers at US gigs...makes it easier for them to push in their non-present friends by just signing them up.

At the European gigs there are three or four times more people on the floor and they arrive early too BUT nobody needs numbers here - it's really not that hard to remember the faces of the fans lined up before and after you, you don't forget that on the way to the loo or the supermarket.

Doppelgang said:

at several shows this caravan has shown up on THIS TOUR and has manipulated others into splitting lines on non presale show days etc

not all of us can

afford 40 bucks to be a .com member

but the line is supposed to be split even on non presale show days, so i dont know why that would be a big deal

Doppelgang said:

That's disgusting. That's simply not right. I'm sure U2 would be upset if they heard about that.

I still see a thread in the live section of Zootopia that was started about a month ago in which someone posted the excerpt from the interview and pretty much says "end of story".

Chizip said:

but the line is supposed to be split even on non presale show days, so i dont know why that would be a big deal

well having the venue security split the line is one thing but these u2.com folks insist that they are the only ones in the first of 2 lines and beleive me they know how to run the security guantlet ahead of others to get in ahead

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom