Bono and bringing up kids during the show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erin go bragh

The Fly
I think it's cool that he does this, and I think it's in line with the fact that these guys are blown away with all of the young fans they have been picking up along the way (including my 9 and 7 yr old who completely dig the guys).

I was thinking, wouldn't be more appropriate or make alot of sense if they added Origin of The Species to the setlist and included the "bringing up kids" deal during this song?

What do you 'experts' think?

Reading that Bono has already brought 2 kids on stage, I was thinking about purchasing 2 GA tix for an MSG show for me and my daughter. She's only 7. I just am worried about getting tix and having her not being able to see anything. Do you think fans would let us get to the front - so that she would be able to see?

kelly213 said:
Reading that Bono has already brought 2 kids on stage, I was thinking about purchasing 2 GA tix for an MSG show for me and my daughter. She's only 7. I just am worried about getting tix and having her not being able to see anything. Do you think fans would let us get to the front - so that she would be able to see?

I don't know, but hey, put her on your shoulders and she'll have the best view in the house!!

kelly213 said:
She'll have a great view and I'll have sore shoulders!

Yeah, but do it for your kid!! :lol:

I actually thought about this as well. I'm going to try and make it to either the LA or Vegas show on the 3rd leg, and I want to take my boys to see (I actually do not have a choice in the matter...ha!). i was wondering if it would be better to get like front row reserve seating (even if they are nosebleeders) or GA Flor tix, but more importantly, what each would offer for THEM, since I get a bigger kick out of seeing them having a great time than me. Of course, they'll want to be as close as they can get to Edge and Bono (again, they show no love for Adam or Larry....bassists and drummers get NO respect..hahaha), so I'm not sure on this.

But I still say they should add OOTS to the set and include the kids during this. It's so easy to imagine Bono serenading a youngster with the line "please stay a child somewhere in your heart".

That would be absolutely amazing! I'm already bringing her to the show on 10/7 at MSG - she has no idea that I got tix. I'll probably just wait a to see if Bono continues bringing kids on the stage. If he does - I just might take the chance and get GA tix.

sandc said:
Just make sure your kids have ear plugs (seriously!)

What? I can't hear you.....:laugh:

Seriously, it can't be loud enough for my kids. They are forever telling me to "turn it up Dad!"...lol.

Erin go bragh said:

What? I can't hear you.....:laugh:

Seriously, it can't be loud enough for my kids. They are forever telling me to "turn it up Dad!"...lol.

or are they telling you to "turn it up loud, captain!" :wink:

kelly213 said:

I doubt a child would give you direct access to the front.

I would only take a child if they loved the music. It is a long, late, LOUD night for children. Trying for 30 seconds of "fame" with a chance of Bono taking the child on stage is unreasonable.

Last night's show was funny

Bono: "What's your name?"

Child: "My name is Jack."

Bono: "Well, Jack, this is the beanstalk...:

Bono proceeded to take the child up to the front of the stage and had him sit by Larry's drum set for one song.

The kid never moved except to wave to his parents.

I couldn't take the chance of bringing my six year old daughter to the show only to see Her get pulled on stage instead of me!! I'd be insanely jealous of my own child forever!! :mad:

Yea, I'm selfish...:wink:

hmmm.... For some reason all I can think about is what would happen if Michael Jackson brought up kids on the stage..... Would`t be quite as successfull as Bono.....:wink:

nbcrusader said:

I doubt a child would give you direct access to the front.

I would only take a child if they loved the music. It is a long, late, LOUD night for children. Trying for 30 seconds of "fame" with a chance of Bono taking the child on stage is unreasonable.

Last night's show was funny

Bono: "What's your name?"

Child: "My name is Jack."

Bono: "Well, Jack, this is the beanstalk...:

Bono proceeded to take the child up to the front of the stage and had him sit by Larry's drum set for one song.

The kid never moved except to wave to his parents.

Plus, the people behind you might get mad if you put the kid on your shoulders and blocked their view.

I agree with nbcrusader, it depends on the child and if they could handle GA and the late night.

It does make for cute pictures though, and that is a funny story :).

My daughter is also going to her first U2 show in Madrid in August and she is convinced that she will get to dance with B !!!!

I'll get her as near as I can then keep my fingers crossed!!:drool:

I think it is a really sweet idea - wouldn't mind seeing this as a regular part of the show
but please have the little ones wear earplugs!!!!!!

Obviously, a U2 show isn't your typical rock concert. From what I remember about the shows I saw in the late seventies and early eightes, I couldn't be paid to expose my child to that sort of party atmosphere. It must be a whole different scene at a U2 gig.

najeena said:
Obviously, a U2 show isn't your typical rock concert. From what I remember about the shows I saw in the late seventies and early eightes, I couldn't be paid to expose my child to that sort of party atmosphere. It must be a whole different scene at a U2 gig.

i know people still party like hell at U2 concerts (at least NY and Miami). If you don't want your kid smelling the devil weed, don't take them on the floor. I took my son when he was 13 to Elevation, he loved it (but we were in seats). I just don't know if little kids (12 & under) belong in GA. It gets a little too crowded and loud for them I would think. If they were to be separated from you, they could become really anxious rather quickly.

My daughter's 11, "Original . . ." always makes me think of her, and I imagine Bono might fancy her (has anyone seen the Mysterious Ways version with his daughter on the Slane Castle DVD?), but she's not really into U2. She's into Hermione Granger and Harry Potter.
love, Anu

I would NOT bring a small child to a concert. It's just begging for trouble. Especially to the GA area.

I'm sorry, I really, really wouldn't do it - for your sake, for the child's sake, and for everyone else's sake.

I wouldn't take a little'un into the GA, but seats, no problem.

I think it's great when they take them up on stage.

There are very few other rock bands who'd do that..

Really shows that they're human like the rest of us (almost)

Like I didn't know already I was possibly "too mature" to be brought on stage, ha!

If there's anymore kids on stage a la Jacko, we might need to get Jarvis Cocker over to the US.....

:angel:

kelly213 said:

Sorry to say it....but YEAH RIGHT.:wink:

saltines17 said:
I would NOT bring a small child to a concert. It's just begging for trouble. Especially to the GA area.

I'm sorry, I really, really wouldn't do it - for your sake, for the child's sake, and for everyone else's sake.

Hmmmm, to me it sounds like it would be for your sake. My kids are absolutely DYING to see them live, and will do so before this tour is over. They don't care about the crowds, about drunk people, about weed burners......none of that would matter to them to be able to see Edge shred on his guitar live. They'd be more into it than some of the folks from what I've heard....lol.

Seriously, they aren't your "Sesame Street presents Tickle Me Elmo Live" type kids. They are rockers in training!

I'd just make sure they wear earplugs. They can still hear the music. But at that volume it can damage young ears (anyone's actually...).

I do NOT think having a child in GA gives an open ticket to the front row of GA. But they should be able to see in a less crowded area. You have to be careful though- I know I have gotten my toes squashed, and I'm 5'3". Plus if they have to go to the bathroom you'd need to bring them and maybe lose your spot? Lol, lots to think about.
Have fun! :wave:

Speaking of the kids in the audience, don't you think this is why the deleted the Mysterious Ways nekkid-light show?????

And yes, earplugs for a child regardless of how they love their music....even old Mr. BAW wears earplugs this tour! last time, my ears rang for days...

Lastly, Los Angeles #2 was the most AWESOME show we've ever experienced!!!! :bow: to U2

I was gonna take my kid brother (14) onto the floor, but couldn't get GAs, so we're going to be in the fifth row of the upper deck instead. Great view anyway, and he'll dig it. :up:

Back
Top Bottom