Best show so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been to

Philly in May
All 4 Toronto shows
MSG 10/8

I agree that your perspective can change per show.

Toronto 1 was amazing just because it was the first show of the leg and I had my son with me.

Toronto 2 was amazing because I danced my ass off like a madman, but sadly I couldn't sing because I was working every night that week.

Toronto 3 was amazing cause I was in the ellipse and the setlist rocked.

Best show, however, goes to MSG 10/8 - although I had one disappointment - no Electric Co, no The Fly (both of which songs have never sounded better than on this tour, imo)

G

wow, taking a quick look through this thread it looks like MSG 10/8 has some solid votes for one of the best shows so far...

u2wedge said:
I've been to Toronto 9/16, MSG 10/7, and MSG 10/8.

Toronto 3 was the best in terms of spontaneity:

1. Birthday call to BB King
2. Bringing up local band Menew for Out of Control
3. Filming of Fast Cars Video
4. Daniel Lanois joining them for One
5. First COBL opener of the 3rd leg
6. I got scanned into the ellipse

MSG 10/7 was pretty exciting for me, personally, also as I've always wanted to see U2 at MSG and it was just electric. But 10/8 totally blew 10/7 away in terms of crowd participation. I don't know if it was a factor of the presale or what, but there was no comparison. I couldn't hear myself scream on 10/8, it was incredible.

So for me, Toronto 3 was my favorite show and that was only because of all the things that happened that normally don't happen at a U2 show and that I got into the ellipse. It's a completely subjective opinion.

I can't believe that up above I didn't say "I could scream without hearing my voice on 10/8...' :rockon:

mabel said:
I was at BostonI in May, and then MSGII, III, and V this past week. Of the four, I'm not sure which I'd put on top...probably MSG V, for the best overall combo of being a great setlist and having a great audience.

Your company didn't hurt, either. :wink:

I would still put Seattle II at the top of my entirely biased list. Not just because I had a fantastic spot for GA, but because Seattle's energy was just completely mind-blowing - I don't know how the roof of the Key Arena didn't explode, especially during the Achtung encore and the very first Vertigo2. It's something I'd never seen before or since. And of course Gloria and taking the little boy, Jason, up on stage during STYCMIOYO was very special.

Out of the MSG shows I saw (10/8, 10/10 and 10/14), I would rank 10/14 at the top with 10/8 closely following. I thought the audience energy on 10/10 was relatively lacklustre.

Oh of course the company didn't hurt, m'love!!!

And from the boot, Seattle II does sound amazing. Back when Vertigox2 was different and exciting!

It is indeed very hard to pick though...Dunno.

melsbud said:

I thought the audience energy on 10/10 was relatively lacklustre.

Have to disagree on that one - like any gig I guess it's where you're standing/sitting that makes a difference on this one. The crowd was going nuts everywhere I could see on 10th. Best atmosphere I've seen all tour.

aardvark said:

Have to disagree on that one - like any gig I guess it's where you're standing/sitting that makes a difference on this one. The crowd was going nuts everywhere I could see on 10th. Best atmosphere I've seen all tour.

I think the crowd was into it throughout most of the show, but I think what got me (and melsbud) was the fact that nobody seemed on the ball w/ 40...and I guess since that's the bit that you go out w/, it affects your view on the show as a whole. On Saturday, the "How long..."s went on full and strong until the lights came up. On Monday, they stopped before Larry even left the stage. Whether or not that was truly representative of the entire show...I don't know. But, it was what I walked out with, and I guess that's how I've pretty much classified the show as a whole, fair or not.

I'll agree that I was a bit disappointed by the end of 40 although where I was everyone was still singing until the lights were well and truly up - it will never be as good as the old days as there are new fans who don't know the form. I thought it was terrific and from a personal point of view I loved every second of it!

At Barcelona I was surprised when a high proportion of the crowd knew the words for Party Girl - I think any gig is hit or miss - the band can be on form and the crowd can be full of new fans or the band can be off form and the crowd can be disappointed oldies. Whatever I think there's definite sways of agreement on the top 5 or 6 shows of the tour so far. There have been some classics by all accounts and to each and every person the show they went to is the best and that's how it should be. Everyones experience is their own.

:cool:

melsbud said:

I would still put Seattle II at the top of my entirely biased list. Not just because I had a fantastic spot for GA, but because Seattle's energy was just completely mind-blowing - I don't know how the roof of the Key Arena didn't explode, especially during the Achtung encore and the very first Vertigo2. It's something I'd never seen before or since. And of course Gloria and taking the little boy, Jason, up on stage during STYCMIOYO was very special.

Out of the MSG shows I saw (10/8, 10/10 and 10/14), I would rank 10/14 at the top with 10/8 closely following. I thought the audience energy on 10/10 was relatively lacklustre.

melsbed :wink: my email friend in Vancouver! Sounds as though you had a great time. I remember you being blown away by Seattle. Did you make it to Bryant Park?

i saw all 6 chicago shows, so i don't count for having seen shows in different parts of the country/world, but given that i have to cast my vote for chicago V, 9/20.

that show kicked. best show i've ever seen.

Boston 5/28 was it for me.

New Years Day (favorite song of mine)
Running to Stand Still
An Cat Dubh
Party Girl
Wild Horses (1st time this tour)
Until the end of the World
Killer version of Elevation
4 straight from Achtung Baby
Champagne poured all over me (and many others) by Bono
Amazing energy
Amazing night

We can't be at all of them, but I was happy to be at this one, and in the front row!

Peace

i've been to five so far this tour....all in boston....boston II was probably the best....
spontaneous Out of Control (first time played this tour)
rare first leg UTEOTW
semi-rare first leg wowy
OOTS
Gloria
and Bad/40 as closer

Unbelievable crowd, unbelievable performance!

mabel said:

I think the crowd was into it throughout most of the show, but I think what got me (and melsbud) was the fact that nobody seemed on the ball w/ 40...and I guess since that's the bit that you go out w/, it affects your view on the show as a whole. On Saturday, the "How long..."s went on full and strong until the lights came up. On Monday, they stopped before Larry even left the stage. Whether or not that was truly representative of the entire show...I don't know. But, it was what I walked out with, and I guess that's how I've pretty much classified the show as a whole, fair or not.

on 10/8 the 'how long's' went on as the crowd was walking out of the arena... OUTSIDE... have never seen anything like it.

u2wedge said:

on 10/8 the 'how long's' went on as the crowd was walking out of the arena... OUTSIDE... have never seen anything like it.

Yeah, I do remember hearing some people outside, though I didn't remember what night it was...I think there were a couple people in the stairway on Monday yelling it too, and I was thinking to myself, why weren't you keeping it going INSIDE too?!? Oh well, really a minor quibble, when it comes right down to it.

melsbud said:

I liked it too!

Attachments

• jason3.jpg
    jason3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Chicago 4 from the first leg. It had UTEOTW, Gloria, OOTS, and ended with an epic Bad.

Favourite stadium show? Amsterdam3. Enjoyed it more than any other show I went to.

Favourite arena show? Tied between MSG 3rd leg 1 and 2. Both excellent performances, crowd involvement and sets

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'm leaning towards MSG 11/22 being the best, as well... last of all their shows at the garden, and it's a year to the day of the brooklyn bridge show and the world wide release of how to dismantle an atomic bomb

It's also the 8 year anniversary of Michael Hutchence's death.

Back
Top Bottom