africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earthshell

The Fly
unlike most u2 fans these days, I for one don't like bono chanting africa at the end of streets. bono, this is the vertigo tour, not the damn africa tour. i mean come on it isn't necessary i know you mean well but people come to hear you play not hearing about africa and all that shit that goes along with it. but if you still insist upon advertising your campain. here are some helpful tips on how you can squeeze it in during each show.

-all i want is africa
-sometimes you can't make it without africa
-i've had enough of africa, id give it up to get it up the butt
-it's no secret that africa, is dieing tonight
-i'm at a place called africa
-all because of africa
-love and africa or else
-african ways
-in the name of africa
-even better than the butt thing
-angel of africa

bono, there's are some ways that should help jump-start your campain and you can throw it right into the show! i mean how great is that!

The lyrics for Streets were inspired by Africa. Way back in 85-86. Bono talking about Africa in Streets is no more nutty than talking about Ireland in SBS or Please, or his Dad in STYCMIOYO.

Last edited:
AvsGirl41 said:
Any validity to your argument went right out the window with your dirty jokes.

Streets is not a song about getting lost in a town with no street signs. There never was any validity.

Two questions for you...

1) Have you attended any of the Vertigo shows so far? Have you been there in person and heard/seen the song used in this context?

2) If so, it looks like your U2 concert expectations have been ruined. Since that's the case, would you be willing to give me any of your tickets to future shows? :wink: (J/k)

But seriously... the inspiration for the song did come from Africa. While I admit that I would LOVE to see them return to the whole red backdrop/flashing lights deal... There are so many interpretations of the song, and the guys chose to go with the Africa dedication this time around. It's their song, I think they have the right to do whatever they want with it.

Last edited:
Bono has compassion for the less fortunate and wishes to aid their cause! Let's insult him immaturely!

:rolleyes:

:down: This is certainly a contender for worst thread ever.

MrBrau1 said:

Streets is not a song about getting lost in a town with no street signs. There never was any validity.

Well, in my opinion anyone who whines about U2 being political needs to be smacked with their CD collection. :shrug:

It's like those Colorado Pearl Jam concert-goers who were appalled to find out Eddie Vedder disliked President Bush. I mean...honestly. You get what you pay for.

AvsGirl41 said:

Well, in my opinion anyone who whines about U2 being political needs to be smacked with their CD collection. :shrug:

It's like those Colorado Pearl Jam concert-goers who were appalled to find out Eddie Vedder disliked President Bush. I mean...honestly. You get what you pay for.

yep. Some people should stick to their Alan Jackson records.

So earthshell, I take it you didn't like Zoo TV when the live link-ups to Sarajevo were broadcast, or when Bono blasted the IRA during Rattle And Hum's "Sunday Bloody Sunday"?

I assume the Northern Ireland inspired song "Please" was offensive to you in some way too, as was "Bullet The Blue Sky" regarding America's foreign policies? Did "One" make you puke with its AIDS awareness message and similarly donated royalties?

Where U2 are not a "political" band outright, they are a "politically aware" band who use their influence to try and better the world we live in. If you're only just discovering this, then you obviously haven't been listening over the years.

Oh and by the way, if Bono's comments and passion about Africa are annoying you that much - he's obviously doing his job and making his point very well.

Mission accomplished Bono!

stevec said:
So earthshell, I take it you didn't like Zoo TV when the live link-ups to Sarajevo were broadcast, or when Bono blasted the IRA during Rattle And Hum's "Sunday Bloody Sunday"?

I assume the Northern Ireland inspired song "Please" was offensive to you in some way too, as was "Bullet The Blue Sky" regarding America's foreign policies? Did "One" make you puke with its AIDS awareness message and similarly donated royalties?

Where U2 are not a "political" band outright, they are a "politically aware" band who use their influence to try and better the world we live in. If you're only just discovering this, then you obviously haven't been listening over the years.

Oh and by the way, if Bono's comments and passion about Africa are annoying you that much - he's obviously doing his job and making his point very well.

Mission accomplished Bono!

Perfect. I wholeheartedly agree. I like to think that Streets kinda came full circle in this tour. The song was born in Africa, or at least its lyrics, and that was 20 years ago, and now it´s like Streets is back to where it belongs, serving the cause of Africa. I love, absolutely love Bono´s chanting before launching into the first verses of the song in this tour, that kind of african chanting we get to see in movies filmed in South Africa or any other place in Africa. I guess many people may find that weird, but I love it.

MT

After seeing Streets played in Denver on 4/20, I really enjoy the whole Africa thing.
Actually, I liked it better than the Elevation shows.
This is what makes U2 the best. When Bono talks about Africa and sings Streets, you know it's coming from the heart. It just a magical feeling, and hard to explain. A U2 fan knows what I'm talking about.

This is their song, and Bono wrote it. They can do as they wish.

Good job U2!!

"Even better than the butt thing"

"I've had enough of Africa, I'd give it up to get it up the butt"

Are you implying what I think you're implying???

earthshell said:
unlike most u2 fans these days, I for one don't like bono chanting africa at the end of streets. bono, this is the vertigo tour, not the damn africa tour. i mean come on it isn't necessary i know you mean well but people come to hear you play not hearing about africa and all that shit that goes along with it. but if you still insist upon advertising your campain. here are some helpful tips on how you can squeeze it in during each show.

-all i want is africa
-sometimes you can't make it without africa
-i've had enough of africa, id give it up to get it up the butt
-it's no secret that africa, is dieing tonight
-i'm at a place called africa
-all because of africa
-love and africa or else
-african ways
-in the name of africa
-even better than the butt thing
-angel of africa

bono, there's are some ways that should help jump-start your campain and you can throw it right into the show! i mean how great is that!

The ignorance and arrogance of this post is deeply disturbing.

Edit: this post makes me too ill to continue. Look at yourself in the mirror....

Back
Top Bottom