Why does U2 only do half the UK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prideofzootv

War Child
how come when U2 tour the UK, they only travel as far up as Manchester? do they not know land continues to other great cities such as Newcastle?

yeh ok the arena at Newcastle is smaller than what they probably play, but becuase of that they could sell it out about 5 times over! they could even do a show at St James Park, come on i looked at there tour history, they aint been to newcastle since 1983! WHY NOT?!

The UK do pretty damn good. Understandably they stick to the largest population centres.

No offence to the North East (unless you're from Sunderland :) ), as large as Newcastle is it miles away from anywhere else.

non taken, im newcaslte, f**k suynderland,

strange thing is tho, for other concerts people make the journey from carlisle, durham etc from miles away to see a concert, surely they would do the same for U2!

I travelled by train from Glasgow to Manchester and I'm sure I changed at Newcastle, so either city is only a couple of hours away from you. Think of the logistics of moving the gear from city to city. Now get yourself on the train next time ok? :wink:

yeh but its the cost of getting there, buying tickets, staying somewhere, food, drink, getting back, for a 19yr old thats expensive!

prideofzootv said:
yeh but its the cost of getting there, buying tickets, staying somewhere, food, drink, getting back, for a 19yr old thats expensive!

The good news is: you've got between 2 and 4 years to save up for it.

The bad news is :you've got between 2 and 4 years to save up for it.

prideofzootv said:

It's like that anywhere though. Per capita, the UK gets way MORE U2 than most places. Yeah, we here in the states got two legs, but keep in mind we have cities with more people than your country and single states ten times as big as your entire land. While still in one country, I've traveled (by driving) as such to U2 shows:

Chicago - 4 hours each way
Auburn Hills - 2.5 hours each way
Cleveland - 5.5 hours each way
Pittsburgh - 9 hours each way
St. Louis - 9 hours each way
Honolulu - um....yeah that's actually closer to Japan than it is to my hometown so just say 12 hours flying each way

Would've gone to Atlanta and Hartford if I'd had tickets and those would've been like 14 and 12 hour drives one way.

I'd piss my pants if I could take some trains to a show! As for lodging, just camp in the GA line and bring some dry foods. I prefer this b/c then you don't have to worry about affording a place to stay and transportation getting there.

If it's more than just distance however, I understand. Tickets, travel, food, it gets up there. This is the main reason I got to my first U2 concert at the age of 24. I had a good job and a little $$$ on the side.

I hear the complaints. But as someone said, that's life.

prideofzootv said:

It is expensive but i didn't buy clothes, CD's any luxries for a few months so i could afford it.

Me and my friend stayed in a premier lodge ( cheapish place), if the train from newcastle costs a bit invest in a young persons railcar ( its worth paying for it if you use trains quite a bit and you could maybe go to glasgow and manchester then and we bought some food from the ASDA right near the stadium or you can laso take sandwiches and stuff of your own as the GA queues don't start overnight in manchester. You can get there about 12.30pm and get a decent spot up the front.

Start saving. :)

Liesje said:

It's like that anywhere though. Per capita, the UK gets way MORE U2 than most places. Yeah, we here in the states got two legs, but keep in mind we have cities with more people than your country and single states ten times as big as your entire land. While still in one country, I've traveled (by driving) as such to U2 shows:

Chicago - 4 hours each way
Auburn Hills - 2.5 hours each way
Cleveland - 5.5 hours each way
Pittsburgh - 9 hours each way
St. Louis - 9 hours each way
Honolulu - um....yeah that's actually closer to Japan than it is to my hometown so just say 12 hours flying each way

Would've gone to Atlanta and Hartford if I'd had tickets and those would've been like 14 and 12 hour drives one way.

I'd piss my pants if I could take some trains to a show! As for lodging, just camp in the GA line and bring some dry foods. I prefer this b/c then you don't have to worry about affording a place to stay and transportation getting there.

Hmmm, slight exageration in some parts there! to begin with the highest populated state in the US is California with 33 million, compared to the UK with 56 million. The largest land area state is Texas, only just eclipsing the area of the UK.

During Vertigo the USA had 70 shows, the UK had 6. Seeing as the UK has one fifth the population of the USA, it does seem a bit thin on the ground. I know the fans in the USA have more distance to travel, but still I remain convinced the US has WAY more than its share of U2 gigs. But I'm sure there are sooo many more countries that would feel there should have been more shows there than they got.

Going back to the UK, yeah I see your point about the North-East. I'm sure a show at St James' would have attracted people from a wide range. Newcastle, Boro, Sunderland, Grimsby, Hull and a whole load of "those from the wrong side of the Pennines" (Yorkshire!).

Although I'm sure Bono thought he was in the North-East. During the Manchester show he called the venue the Stadium of Light! Ooops!

I was on hold for two hours trying to get tickets for Manchester (eventually successful). I think that shows how popular the tickets were in the UK. A show in the North-east and another in Scotland would have sold no problem.

If only they played at the Reebok!

Last edited:
i think we should start a petition to U2 to play some north east and scotland gigs,

and lots more gigs leg wise, if USA get 2 legs, why shouldnt we?

if only i knew a way to get one going and get it to U2

Back
Top Bottom