Vertigo [Philly I]: The Death of Streets - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > Fan Experiences and Tour Photos
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 05:01 AM
Vertigo [Philly I]: The Death of Streets

I just came back from Phila I, the first show of the year for me and my first since Slane in 2001 - U2 show #30 something for me, and the show was a:

HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT

Bono sounded good, but the band seemed to be somewhere else the entire night - Edge rarely ventured onto the ellipse, Bono barely spoke to anybody and I found the that the crowd mirrored the lifeless band.

I found that Streets was the perfect metaphor for tonight. The lead in is weak and short, they have lame flags in the background instead of the simple red and they don't use the house lights for full effect until like 2/3 through the song - this is the song that I most look forward to and although I was having a very good time up until that point, U2's abysmal effort on Streets basically ruined the show for me.

Am I a lone dissenter on this or was this a weak show??

Old 05-14-2005, 09:37 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:01 AM
Prepare to be destroyed.

Old 05-14-2005, 09:38 PM   #3
Refugee

Was in Chicago for U2 this last week and I agree about streets. While the flags aren't that bad , not having the "blinding light" at the beginning of the intro just sucks and hurts the way the song is presented IMO.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:39 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:01 AM
i agree that streets isnt what it used to be

but i still enjoy the show overall
Old 05-14-2005, 09:45 PM   #5
Acrobat

Re: Vertigo [Philly I]: The Death of Streets

Quote:
Originally posted by GG_The_Fly
I just came back from Phila I, the first show of the year for me and my first since Slane in 2001 - U2 show #30 something for me, and the show was a:

HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT

Bono sounded good, but the band seemed to be somewhere else the entire night - Edge rarely ventured onto the ellipse, Bono barely spoke to anybody and I found the that the crowd mirrored the lifeless band.

I found that Streets was the perfect metaphor for tonight. The lead in is weak and short, they have lame flags in the background instead of the simple red and they don't use the house lights for full effect until like 2/3 through the song - this is the song that I most look forward to and although I was having a very good time up until that point, U2's abysmal effort on Streets basically ruined the show for me.

Am I a lone dissenter on this or was this a weak show??
I thought the Edge played great tonight!! I was never a big fan of Streets - I think it is because I have seen it so many times live.

I agree that the Edge did not go out to the Ellipse that much, but I do not think he did that much out there the whole tour. Pretty tough when your constantly changing guitars. I thought the show was a great one - I thought they all were energized like the first time I saw them 20 years ago.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:46 PM   #6
Refugee

i dont know what show you went to ??????? awesome show!!!!
Old 05-14-2005, 09:46 PM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 09:01 AM
I thought it was GREAT. I thought the Edge was on. Streets was ok, it was better on the Elevation tour, but i still loved it.

I think it was thebest of the 3 i'veseen
Old 05-14-2005, 09:47 PM   #8
The Fly

Re: Re: Vertigo [Philly I]: The Death of Streets

Don't get me wrong - technically the band was great - I just didn't sense a connection between the crowd and the band and I would gladly trade 2 guitar changes for a little more Edge.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:54 PM   #9
Refugee

he walked about the same as the last show i saw. streets isnt the same without the lights, they make that much of a difference. but compared to the denver show i was at the fans were much better, cheering wise, plus everyone stood up the whole time unlike my other show when everyone was seated....except me of course. i bet the GA next show for me will make a huge difference...
Old 05-14-2005, 09:59 PM   #10
Refugee

i think early on, some of the songs don't lend themselves to that.

when he has to play Cat Dubh, there's no interaction cause the song basically brings the show to a dead halt....

but electric co, he went off, right down the side of the bombshelter. he was out of his mind at times tonight.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:00 PM   #11
The Fly

hey, i mean its U2. whether or not its as good as ZooTV or PopMart or Elevation... or just having a bad couple of weeks... it doesnt matter. its still U2 and is a blessing. i mean, if bono just went up on stage jumping around dressed as a fish, and the rest of the band singing commercial jingles for 5 minutes.. i'd still go and see it and love it. its not everyday that one is in the presence of these guys.. and hey, anything they do is great in my eyes. also, give them a break.... they've been touring for.. 20 something years and have the right to have some off-nights, or even weeks. they still seem to do an excellent job and arent giving some shitty, 'i dont give a shit' performance. they still put their passion into it. so, if its not AS perfect as ZooTV was.. or the previous tours...thats fine. i think what happens is.. people have literally seen "perfection" with this bands live stuff, and even stepping down a few notches... they are still fucking amazing. to someone who's seen a bunch of shows in previous tours.. which were, what one may think could not even get any better, it was so good.. that seeing something now might look like crap compared to it, whereas someone who'd never seen them live would think it was the best thing ever.

give the guys a break.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:21 PM   #12
Refugee

Streets sucked during Chicago 1 and 2, but was better during 3 and 4, I thought.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:29 PM   #13
The Fly

I agree

I agree. Bring back the long, drawn out intro with the video screens and stage bathed in red light. They didn't even light up the crowd with the house lights when the band kicked in. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. I personally think these beads of lights hanging down were lame and over-used. Hate to say it but I am not impressed at all with Vertigo's production. Those beads of lights are a one-trick pony.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:35 PM   #14
Refugee

The curtain of lights is amazing...

COBL, looks like you're standing in the middle of a metropolis
Vertigo, swirling red
Bullet, with that awesome plane flyby scene
Streets...yeah, I'll give you this one, the background sucks, but...
ZOO STATION and THE FLY

And that's all I have to say about that...
Old 05-14-2005, 10:36 PM   #15
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
Prepare to be destroyed.
Are we a little too excited about Star Wars III -

Who are you, Darth Vader?
Old 05-14-2005, 10:37 PM   #16
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by knox
The curtain of lights is amazing...

COBL, looks like you're standing in the middle of a metropolis
Vertigo, swirling red
Bullet, with that awesome plane flyby scene
Streets...yeah, I'll give you this one, the background sucks, but...
ZOO STATION and THE FLY

And that's all I have to say about that...

I think the stage is kickass - great effects - HOWEVER, I think the curtain is overused and basically just ruins the view from the people behind the stage.

I am just so sad about Streets. I feel like my dog died or something - I take that song too seriously, I guess.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:44 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I like the flags during Streets.

But I'll admit that the "lighting up the crowd" bit is the best gimmick ever.

Is the 2005 version of Streets the best ever? No. But there's nothing wrong with changing things up.

And yes, the Chicago 4 Streets did seem vastly improved, either because I was more used to it, or more likely because they seemed to hit the crowd with the lights for a longer time at the end of the song.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:47 PM   #18
The Fly

funny, i had GA's and was about 4 rows deep and the crowd was really into in from what i could see. (People in the lower sections, the rest of GA, and behind the stage)
Old 05-14-2005, 10:53 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 02:01 AM
How many times have we seen the set list from tonight connected with comments about the band lacking a connection with the crowd? It always seems to be this set list.

ITS THE SET LIST JIM. I'M JUST A DOCTOR.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:58 PM   #20
Acrobat

I just got back and thought the show was awesome. You saying it sucks is sort of like you winning a ford and complaining it wasnt a porche.