I was the guy with the phone @ MSG #2 10/8/05 - FACTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GarfieldTheCat said:
it sounded to me like this was just part of the song. when watching the short video clip someone made of it, its said in the tune of the song.
Hmm...

I read a little bit of this thread, watched the clip once, and then I read through til the end of the thread (which at that point - had reached about six full pages).

At first I thought Bono had crossed the line - in a pretty big way.

But then after reading the rest of the thread - I went back and watched the clip 4-5 times. And the more I watched it, the more I started thinking that he wasn't really angry. And that perhaps, as GarfieldTheCat has suggested, maybe it was meant to go along with the song... Everyone singing "No More" be-bump-bump-bump "No More" be-bump-bump-bump...

In other words - record the sentiment of "No More" into the phone... and send it out to the rest of the world (which is exactly what has happened). Albeit with a clip from someone else's phone.

Now... the line about "We're at a concert... alright? Alright."

Don't quite know how that fits into my theory... Damn... if he'd just stopped after the first sentence.

Yeah... I've probably over-analyzed this way beyond its meaning/significance.

RIGHT!

Let's all not buy any more U2 albums, singles, concert tickets...no more flights to see the band, no more hotels, no more DVDs, no more, no more, no more...this IS a rebel song!

Let's track down Bono and lynch him high - yeehah!

I HATE Bono too now!

All that work for global peace, an end to poverty, starvation and war...forget it all!!!!!

All that means nothing now because he........shouted at a fan?

bigwali said:
Oh, the Ubiquitous Cell Phone. Who wouldn't be pissed off by those devices. What technology has given us and how Bono incorporated into his show has come back to bite him. Hey, everyone has a bad day every now and then. He apologized so it no a non issue as far as I'm concerned. The person who had this happen to him will be laughing about this in years to come.

That was kinda my first thought. I dunno, but if I were to have been at the concert, on stage looking out, would I have seen at any one point in time perhaps hundreds of phones being held up taking pictures? That, if I were performing, would annoy the shit out of me as well. Take *a* photo or two, enjoy the night. I've seen people at concerts who spend half the night lining up photo after photo after photo after photo.

I don't think this guy did anything wrong, my guess is he was a lightning rod for a larger frustration?

U2mixer said:
RIGHT!

Let's all not buy any more U2 albums, singles, concert tickets...no more flights to see the band, no more hotels, no more DVDs, no more, no more, no more...this IS a rebel song!

Let's track down Bono and lynch him high - yeehah!

I HATE Bono too now!

All that work for global peace, an end to poverty, starvation and war...forget it all!!!!!

All that means nothing now because he........shouted at a fan?

You got it!:evil:

Yeah, wow what an asshole

And of all the AMAZING moments during the show, this one is the only one people are going to remember

Whoever wasnt there likely missed the best concert of the tour

Whoever WAS there saw exactly what went on, way beyond what this short clip says

And Bono's point is completely valid: put away the phone/camera for a fucking second and LISTEN

Anyone who is extrememly outraged can sell me their remaining tickets for the tour

:D

gabrielvox said:
...And Bono's point is completely valid: put away the phone/camera for a fucking second and LISTEN

Anyone who is extrememly outraged can sell me their remaining tickets for the tour

:D

Good one ;)

P.S. Can you save one for me? ;)

I was there for the shows on the 7th & 8th. They were the best shows that I have attended thus far, (which includes the 3 May Boston shows).

After this happened on the 8th I decided to stop worrying about getting pictures and spent the rest of time focusing on the show, which is what I did.

(For any of the outraged people, I'm still looking for some Atlanta tickets).

maybe he was actually pissed off because they were playing SBS for the 1,384,857,823th time, and wanted to be playing "dirty day" instead.

Im just glad this whole event hasnt really hit the news other than U2 sites.I know Bono is only human, but like the person above, said this is Bono behaving like Axl Rose,and he should be better. and this really does irk me as a U2 fan:| makes us all look bad
What did Bono say when he apologized?

So Christopher,next time you listen to a bootleg & Bono says ".......now would be a good time take out your cell phones,these dangerous little devices.........",your call? I think it's ironic when during a show he asks you to take out your cell.I wouldn't worry my friend,don't change your opinion of him I'm sure it was split second thing on his part......

joe8pizza said:
Im just glad this whole event hasnt really hit the news other than U2 sites.I know Bono is only human, but like the person above, said this is Bono behaving like Axl Rose,and he should be better. and this really does irk me as a U2 fan:| makes us all look bad
What did Bono say when he apologized?

Bono yells at fan about cell phone use and apologizes later, news at 11 :|

Not quite the same as Axl jumping into crowds, punching people and starting riots.

Last edited:
kellyahern said:
Bono yells at fan about cell phone use and apologizes later, news at 11 :|

I've been scouring the Wall Street Journal and NY Times for a piece since yesterday. I figured I would need to buy up the papers here in Dallas in order to avoid this news getting out. :|

I'm surprised contactmusic hasn't come up with some shocking headline about this.

Lots of people use their phones at concerts...not just camera phones either. I've already had people use their phones to call me from concerts so I could hear a tune, and I've done the same for others. No big deal. :shrug:

I would have been mortified if Bono had yelled at me. :reject:

I was about five people away from Chris at the show. At first I thought that Bono was going to take a picture of himself or talk to the other person on the line and say hello (he does do that alot at the meet and greet). A lot of us have friends and family that for some reason cannot make it to the shows maybe because of ticket prices, work commitments, family commitments, etc. It's ok if I want to call my friend/family member during the show so that they can hear a bit of a song. Not everyone is lucky enough to get tickets to these shows and I would just want someone to have a wonderful experience even if its 5 seconds of a song. It's b/s if I can't do that when I have paid lots of money for the ticket and waited in line for hours and are a fan for the last 22 years. I should be able to do whatever I want during the performance as long as it's not distracting. I don't think that Chris could have been that distracting since the music is so loud!!! It's not a play where everyone is quiet to hear the performer...it's a damn loud rock concert. I think that Bono's reaction was very mean spirited, not only did he tell him to put the f-ing phone away, he proceeded to mock the guy! That's is just obnoxious! Subsequently his apology was not sincere at all, he only apologized for it because he was going to ask us all to take out our phones...which I did not! It just left a bad taste in my mouth to see him act like the spoiled supermodel friend of his...did you see when he threaten to throw the mike stand into the crowd a la Courtney Love?? He was in rare form that night.

I love the man but we have to admit that the treatment was very harsh! I saw him the next day at the Anton exhibit and someone said..."Great show last night"...and he say "Yes, great show" He did not even say sorry for getting out of hand.

You might not agree, but I am glad that I vented. Thanks!

See you in Philly!

spirish said:
...did you see when he threaten to throw the mike stand into the crowd a la Courtney Love?? He was in rare form that night.

I saw him the next day at the Anton exhibit and someone said..."Great show last night"...and he say "Yes, great show" He did not even say sorry for getting out of hand.

He does the mike stand bit between SBS & BTBS at every show. :|

Why would he have to say sorry to someone at the Anton exhibit. :confused:

astralzzzz said:
Hey Guys,

We don't have to keep going with this. I've done things like this in my life which I have regretted (not on such a large scale!! but then again, I am not a star) and I have been forgiven. And I am so thankful for this forgiveness. Because without it, I would be a very alone and depressed person! If Bono is out there, and he does feel bad, I forgive him.

Also, just to clear it up with everyone, I will say one last time I never made a call. And the phone was never to my ear. However, I am tall and I was right in front of him for most of the show, so maybe he just got sick of looking at it. Whatever the reason, I am willing to let it go.. I think he is.. and I hope we all can.

Let me finish by saying; normally I would be a little more pissed with this type of situation. But when I look at the situation as a whole, it is hard to be pissed at him. I think when he meets his maker..and if they list all his sins vs. all his good deeds, the good deeds will probably outweigh his sins by 10000 times : ) when judging a situation/person, I try to take everything into account.. not just a small, isolated incident, at a very small, isolated point in time; equivalent to a spit in the ocean (when you look at the big picture.)

With all that said, I would still never want to be on his sh*t list ; )

Take care guys!
-Chris (any girls want a good 31yo boy from CT who is still a U2 fan and has done a few good deeds?? drop me a line ; )

My email is: astralzzzz@yahoo.com (who knows..maybe I can get a date out of this!! : )

Thanks Chris. You sound like a great guy. :up: :)

Sorry Bono hollered at you Chris but honestly Im rather envious :giggle: . Hell what am I saying?! I would have probably burst into tears thinking Bono hated me,lol,jk. Really you sound like a great guy and you really are a big person for posting the story. As for Bono Im not changing my feelings about him. Yeah maybe he got a little bit out of control over the phone thing. But come on he's only human and everyone has their bad days! At least he had the grace to look at Chris and apologize. Haven't we all made some heat of the moment mistakes before? I will admit Ive done said and done stuff unfairly when Im mad over something. Than later I realized it was wrong and apologized. Chris apparently doesn't feel anything bad towards Bono or U2 so why should anyone else? Hey everyone is entitled to their own opinion though and I completely respect that! :).

Back
Top Bottom