Why did U2 place it 'safe' for 5 nights???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2wedge said:
And 7 of 14 different encore songs in ONE encore, Axver?

Isn't that the variation you've been looking for? And you're STILL not happy!?

No, you've missed my point a bit. U2 played 14 songs in their encores at five shows, but out of those 14, 7 only aired ONCE. The remaining seven aired on most nights (ABOY and WOWY every night, The First Time and Fast Cars missed just one night, etc) - in other words, the encores barely even varied! They played very similar encores every single night. It's the one place where they could perform some serious variety, and while they did a bit, they certainly kept it relatively standard over the five nights.

You run a U2 setlist site... you should know their formula by now and I think this is probably the most varied they've ever been.

Just enjoy it instead of dissecting every setlist. You'll have a better time, trust me.

It's totally inaccurate to say this is the most diverse U2 have ever been. The Joshua Tree and Lovetown Tours saw far more setlist variety especially in the song order, and I believe more songs were played on Elevation. I'm actually going to do a full count of all songs played and offer a comparison to show variety. Sure, Vertigo flogs Popmart when it comes to variety, and while I expect it to do well in my comparison, it isn't quite the peak.

And who says I'm not having a good time? I'm having a great time. In fact, I'd have a worse time if I didn't dissect the setlists. Haven't you noticed I've a passion for setlists? Normally I'm very happy with them - just what U2 did for the five nights in NYC has disappointed me a bit.

Oh, I know it's not worth it. I'm just tired of people saying "yeah, well, that one section that didn't like Vx2 doesn't count, they don't speak for the whole arena." Why do dissenting opinions count less to some people? :shrug: I'm tired of that kind of dismissive attitude is all.

Axver said:
Normally I'm very happy with them - just what U2 did for the five nights in NYC has disappointed me a bit.

There lies the difference between sitting at home in front of a computer screen and being at the show. I didn't see many disappointed faces at MSG last week.

cdparky said:

There lies the difference between sitting at home in front of a computer screen and being at the show. I didn't see many disappointed faces at MSG last week.

To be fair, Axver did actually make the effort to go and fly to the US to see them. But yes, dissecting the setlist while being at home is no substitute for actually being at the concert.

financeguy said:

To be fair, Axver did actually make the effort to go and fly to the US to see them. But yes, dissecting the setlist while being at home is no substitute for actually being at the concert.

Yes, you are right and it's not a dig at Axver - I hope they do the decent thing and do some shows that aren't thousands of mile away. My only point is that it is impossible to judge the merit of a show just by looking at the set-list. If we did that then every Zoo TV show after the opening night is boring?

Even the ZooTV opening night is boring. :wink:

I know it's a huge minority opinion, but I think ZooTV was U2's worst tour as far as setlists go. Not just in their static nature, but in the actual design of the setlist itself.

Axver said:
Even the ZooTV opening night is boring. :wink:

I know it's a huge minority opinion, but I think ZooTV was U2's worst tour as far as setlists go. Not just in their static nature, but in the actual design of the setlist itself.

I think the worst tour in this sense was more Elevation, in that tour they´ve really nailed the setlist performing almost every evening the same songs. Zoo tv had a huge change since Zooropa

Does anyone know the name of the song (and band) playing right before U2 comes on?

Hi! Does anyone know the name of the song (and who it is by) playing right as U2 takes the stage on this tour?

Thanks!
Jeri

Re: Does anyone know the name of the song (and band) playing right before U2 comes on?

JeriLynnBrown said:
Hi! Does anyone know the name of the song (and who it is by) playing right as U2 takes the stage on this tour?

Thanks!
Jeri

"Wake Up" by Arcade Fire.

ETA: Guess ramblin rose covered all bases w/ her link! :wink:

OK –

Well, I have tried to gather my thoughts about what went down in New York City over the past week, and I would love to as much as I possible could say that U2 had a triumphant week, with an astounding series of concerts at MSG. The unfortunate thing is that I cannot say that.

Did they sell the place out every night? – yes (well, pretty much.)

Did they present a high-tech show? – yes.

Did they sound really really good onstage? – yes.

What then is my problem? Have I been reading the internet too much? Did I go to too many shows (May 21, Oct 7, 14)? Do I expect too much from the band I love?

Probably all three.

So to say that U2 was anything less than stellar probably is inaccurate, but I have come to the point as a fan where I kind of expect a lot, but wish moreso to get much more than I expect. Forgetting the huge amount of money I invested for this entertainment (yes – totally my choice), the thing I look for in a concert, no matter who the act is, is energy, excitement, hell even some surprise. After seeing these shows, from various seats in the arena, some excellent, some shitty, I did not find much of a difference.

Pertaining immediately to the past week (to stay on topic) I was totally bewildered that there were only two places in the concert that were ever considered for a song change. The whole ‘old song section’ at the beginning of the show, and the encore (see my thread “Does the Show Start With the Encore?”)

I guess that is just U2’s thing.

The highlights for any of the shows I went to were the songs that were ‘swithced up’ in these two areas of the setlist. Now I guess we have come to be aware that U2 in their history has always played the same thing throughout the tour, but I do not think that I am the only one who wishes, to the point that they are in their seat in the arena, that they would. Hell, one of the best moments for me from the 14th was watching the techs scramble about onstage before the show as someone had a setlist change. This actually happened during the show as well. They kept updating the setlists taped to the stage. I am wholly convinced that the end of that concert did not go off as planned. There were other songs meant to be played, but as Bono caught the attention of one guy up front Party Girl happened (barely) then Verigox2.

The fact that Bono did not know the words to party Girl, and the fact that Larry could not get the beat going after 4 tries was a bit upsetting, but hey – the fan knew all the words, and the major fuck-up did add surprise and something different to the show. For that I was happy.

What I was not happy about was the body of the show, which I have commented on over and over again, I just do not know why it is never massaged.

Maybe I do.

My theory (which goes against all my design interests) is that the technology is driving the show, and not the other way around. I truly wonder what would happen if Adam came in one day and said, “You know what guys, fuck all that flag shit – it makes me dizzy, let’s just go out there and start the show with Streets under a couple of red lights.” It would never happen. The songs are so choreographed to the lights, that there is no space for movement. This, I think is a shame. The high tech wizardry behind the show was created to push then envelope. I fear it has had the adverse effect.

I almost lost my shit when Bono actually called out to Bruce Ramus to ‘turn some lights on’ so he could see the fans sing. I have not seen him do that on this tour, and hey – it was pretty cool. On the subject of lights, I have an opinion that so many of the cues are preset, that there is actually a lot of stuff not even being used anymore. The whole infra-red camera thing - gone. Many of the graphics – gone. This I attribute to the departure of Willie – nothing we can do – just too bad - just a thought.

While I am on a roll here, I have read through this thread about bringing girls onstage to dance. I have to say that my opinion lies with the folks who do not like it. On the 14th a girl was brought up during Fast Cars, and was kept there through WOWY. I just do not get it. I do not know this girl, it was distracting, I am not so anamoured by Bono dancing with anyone, so why do I care that she is up there? I think that it was a very very special moment. For ONE person. The girl there. Now I know all the arguments on both sides, and yes, for the women close to the stage it has to be cool to be brought up on stage to be made a spectacle of, but at this point in their career – it is just beyond me why they do it. The girl gets some limelight for some brief seconds, but beyond that – why is it interesting?

Would I rather hear the “shines like the stars” line, or would I rather see some girl bellydancing onstage and have Bono miss that rare live line? The choice is clear. For her – great you touched Bono, looked silly, and danced onstage, for the other 19,999 people, it means nothing.

For Bono to tell the same speech night in and night out before Miracle Drug, well – cool for those who have not heard it, but shitty for those of us who have especially when Bono screws the story up during one of the shows.

I sound very bitter.

I do not want to sound bitter.

I just remember growing up and reading the newspaper stories about how a band or a Springsteen would do the rare thing of selling out the Garden on multiple nights and how they would just bring the house down. It would be monumental. I do not think the 5 shows in NY were monumental – if only for the possibilities that the band had during the stint.

For everyone else going to the shows, I truly hope you have an amazing time. It is almost hard not to – I mean hell, it is a U2 show. I hope these comments are read in context with the fact that the band did just play 5 nights in this city to over 100,000 people.

Let’s see what happens in four years.

:up:

ouizy said:
I am wholly convinced that the end of that concert did not go off as planned.

The fact that Bono did not know the words to party Girl, and the fact that Larry could not get the beat going after 4 tries was a bit upsetting, but hey – the fan knew all the words, and the major fuck-up did add surprise and something different to the show. For that I was happy.

My theory (which goes against all my design interests) is that the technology is driving the show, and not the other way around. I truly wonder what would happen if Adam came in one day and said, “You know what guys, fuck all that flag shit – it makes me dizzy, let’s just go out there and start the show with Streets under a couple of red lights.” It would never happen. The songs are so choreographed to the lights, that there is no space for movement. This, I think is a shame. The high tech wizardry behind the show was created to push then envelope. I fear it has had the adverse effect.

for your first point, there have been reports of Bono leaving the show very angry. so that probably confirms that the end didnt go as they planned/how they hoped.

for your second point, i don't know if i buy that for this tour. if you had said that about zootv and popmart, yes, i would whole heartedly agree. i don't think the technology on this tour is what prevents them from mixing it up a bit. i think it more has to do with the "themes" driving the show. they would never have streets open the show not because the technology prevents them from doing it, but because they have to do the whole Africa theme and have it follow Pride and precede One to drive their point across. From Love and Peace or Else through One, they are trying to drive their points across, thus thats why it remains static.

while I know Bono's heart is in the right place, I do think this can hurt the shows a bit. i mean, how freaking amazing would it be if you were at a show and all of a sudden they opened with Streets, it would be insane. but in my opinion, its the theme and the flow of the show that they want that prevents this, not the technology.

Last edited:
they set up their shows for the person who's going to see them only once... not for the wacko's like us who will be at many many shows.

:shrug: it's debatable wether or not that is a good thing or a bad thing. it's good for that person going to see htem for the first time, but it gets tired for the person who's seeing them a dozen times... unless of course you're in the ellipse, in which case it never gets tired :drool:

maybe in the comming years the band will go back to not caring so much about staying in the limelight and this whole "relevant" thing they clutch on to like a saftey blanket and do a show that really is for the die hard fans... i.e. pearl jam and/or springsteen. but i doubt it. bono needs to stay relevant.

bono always said that he'd never allow his charitable work, etc. etc. to get in the way of the band. well... too late. it's already happened. bono the crusader has trumped bono the rock star. it's great in a way, and not so great in a way... depending on which way you look at it.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
they set up their shows for the person who's going to see them only once... not for the wacko's like us who will be at many many shows.

so true

so true

:slant:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

:shrug: it's debatable wether or not that is a good thing or a bad thing. it's good for that person going to see htem for the first time, but it gets tired for the person who's seeing them a dozen times... unless of course you're in the ellipse, in which case it never gets tired :drool:

That is exactly who they should pitch the shows at. The vast majority of people who went to see them this year would have only gone the once and wouldn't have followed the set-lists rigidly all tour. Thus nothing would come over as tired.

Chizip said:

for your first point, there have been reports of Bono leaving the show very angry. so that probably confirms that the end didnt go as they planned/how they hoped.

Really? Gosh. Do you have more info on that?

HelloAngel said:

Really? Gosh. Do you have more info on that?

I just heard from someone who saw him after the show. They said he looked pissed, and that when he was in the car leaving the show he didn't wave to any of the fans and just looked straight forward. Usually he waves to the fans as he goes by I guess, I don't know, this person could be reading it wrong, they just said he looked pretty mad.

I do agree that U2 could have really shaken it up on the 3rd or 4th night, and then return to a safer setlist on the final night...

But I think for the most part, the b-side rarities that we crave, often would scare the people attending these shows, the audience interaction would be minimum, to a few people...

For example, if they had played Acrobat at MSG, including Pop material and old Boy stuff, chances are that the audience would have been like "Oh... well that's a good tune I guess..." U2 knows when people come to their shows that they want to play their hits, and maybe a song they haven't heard for a while, like "Wild Horses" or "The Fly"

The only time U2 would cut loose is if they played 7 shows in a row, but it also depends on the crowd too, Boston is a wild crowd, but European crowds like rarities and older tunes, somehow they are more appreciative and they interact better than American audiences do with these songs

"they set up their shows for the person who's going to see them only once... not for the wacko's like us who will be at many many shows."

That comment is true, but what they were doing during the 1st leg was perfect. They mixed up the setlist to satisfy the U2 freaks and the general audience (1st timers). Even though they mixed up a total of 3-5 songs it was pretty cool. Sitting at the Chicago I (May) show I sat at the edge (stood) of my sit wondering if they would open w/ COBL or LOPE and then they went into Bad. It felt special being at that show. U2 has been really lazy lately. Playing 5 shows in New York and just changing a few songs in encore is pretty weak. U2 is more than capable mixing it up. Its getting to point that if I meet a U2 member, instead of asking for an autograph, I'll ask "Why don't you mix up the setlist more, your the biggest band in the world."

Originally posted by theu2fly

But I think for the most part, the b-side rarities that we crave, often would scare the people attending these shows, the audience interaction would be minimum, to a few people...

but mixing it up doesn't have to mean including more b-sides or rarities. i think electrical storm is a song that most people could enjoy. they could rotate in other hits, or even just move them around, like having streets open a show.

though they could even through in swap in more rarities with the ones that are already there. miss sarajevo, the first time, electric co, fast cars, they could rotate in other rare songs for these and it wouldn't bore the casual fan anymore than the current show does.

there are ways to keep it spontaneous, more exciting for everyone, but, this is u2, they prefer to have planned and perfected shows, so they dont do that.

I forget what show it was, but Bono said playing b-sides and rarities are boring... hope that isn't true... :huh:

theu2fly said:
I forget what show it was, but Bono said playing b-sides and rarities are boring... hope that isn't true... :huh:

I could see Bono thinking that. I'm sure he feeds off the crowd and probably prefers the reaction to a song like Pride rather than to some obscure song. He also has to worry a lot less about messing up a song like Pride than some rare song.

So easy to play and big reaction is probably better for the band than hard hard to play and small reaction.

theu2fly said:

For example, if they had played Acrobat at MSG, including Pop material and old Boy stuff, chances are that the audience would have been like "Oh... well that's a good tune I guess..." U2 knows when people come to their shows that they want to play their hits, and maybe a song they haven't heard for a while, like "Wild Horses" or "The Fly"

Indeed, remember the audience reaction to slow Boy songs, Miss Sarajevo and now First time? Masses don't go for the obscurities.

U2 is damned either way: if they play hits, die hards will moan, if they play obscure songs, the fans who want to hear the hits will moan. That said, I think this tour's been very kind to obscure songs.

I wonder though, how people will look back on Vertigo setlists once the next tour(s) come(s).
In comparison, Elevation - who played any hit you could name - setlists were better received. Go figure.

I think if the band played less very obscure songs and instead included more stuff like The Fly and possibly Staring at the Sun - more people would be satisfied overall.

HelloAngel said:
I think if the band played less very obscure songs and instead included more stuff like The Fly and possibly Staring at the Sun - more people would be satisfied overall.
but thats what people wanted wasnt it? obscure songs that only the "die hards" would know

KUEFC09U2 said:
but thats what people wanted wasnt it? obscure songs that only the "die hards" would know

Who says?

I'm a diehard, but I don't really know "The Ocean." I also don't collect bootlegs or every single.

I guess there's no way to have a right answer here - but perhaps if there were less obscure songs and more familiar songs in their place, the shows would be completely off the roof and out of this world.

Round and round we all go.

ramblin rose said:

I really hope I didn't make you feel like what you're saying here, because that wasn't my intention. As I stated in my complete post, my statement wasn't meant to be a criticism of Jofo's review just making it clear that everyone felt differently about Vertigox2 and the show in general.

Most reviews on u2tour.com for this show are very positive. In fact a few even comment on Vertigo x2. For example:

I'm not sure why you feel that people saying they enjoyed the show and vertigo x2 is an assault on you. It's okay to think the show could have been better. It's just as okay for people to have enjoyed it tremendously.

sounds like maybe the band didn't give it their best effort the 1st time that night and wanted to do it properly... fine by me.

Back
Top Bottom