U2 definite for Soldier Field! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Tour Dates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
Babyface

Local Time: 07:48 PM
U2 definite for Soldier Field!

My girlfriend works in the skyboxes at Soldier Field and after the game yesterday (which i would prefer no to talk about) they asked her if she would be willing to work 3 events over the summer. One is Elton John as part of the Gay Games (not kidding) and 2 U2 shows in June, they were just not sure on which weekend yet. Good news for Chicago!!!

cheers,
ryan

Old 01-16-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 02:48 PM
I find this hard to believe seeing that Paul McGuiness confirmed the Vertigo Tour is over after Hawaii in April.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:48 PM
Re: U2 definite for Soldier Field!

Quote:
Originally posted by Funksoul
One is Elton John as part of the Gay Games
elton john + gay games sounds worthy...

don't believe the U2 thing though... they better get back in the studio and record some new material!!
Old 01-16-2006, 05:51 PM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 12:48 PM
Re: U2 definite for Soldier Field!

Quote:
My girlfriend works in the skyboxes at Soldier Field and after the game yesterday (which i would prefer no to talk about) they asked her if she would be willing to work 3 events over the summer. One is Elton John as part of the Gay Games (not kidding) and 2 U2 shows in June, they were just not sure on which weekend yet. Good news for Chicago!!!

cheers,
ryan
Yes, U2 is (was?) holding those dates as a part of their route, but all indications are that they've nixed those plans, and will end the tour in Hawaii.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
Refugee

We heard all these same rumors after the Elevation tour

And i find it hard to believe they would ask your gf 5 months in advance to work an assignment that isnt even confirmed

But we always love when people with 3 post come in here spreading rumors

*books flight for Chicago*
Old 01-16-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:48 PM
Re: Re: U2 definite for Soldier Field!

Quote:
Originally posted by *Ally*

don't believe the U2 thing though... they better get back in the studio and record some new material!!

new record - then Soldiers Field

I think U2 reserved the bookings on the off chance they wanted to do another leg in the US but from all counts it appears the Hawaii will end the Vertigo Tour
Old 01-16-2006, 07:06 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Published articles have repeatedly said that the band decided against using their summer stadium options.

"insiders"
Old 01-16-2006, 10:20 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Re: Re: U2 definite for Soldier Field!

Quote:
Originally posted by nurse chrissi

new record - then Soldiers Field

I think U2 reserved the bookings on the off chance they wanted to do another leg in the US but from all counts it appears the Hawaii will end the Vertigo Tour
Wouldn't it be cool if the new record was already done (Mercy, etc...), and there really is a summer stadium tour, and they debuted a whole bunch of new songs from the new album in Hawaii?

Yes, I've been consuming beverages tonight.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:21 AM   #9
Refugee

I actually got offered a job working at Ralph Wilson Stadium (Buffalo) for 3 U2 shows this summer. I've never worked there before, but I guess they were finding it hard to get people to work there on such short notice!

3 shows: awesome!!!!!

I wonder what other stadium shows they'll be doing
Old 01-17-2006, 10:44 AM   #10
War Child

Wow...what fun fantasizing...

3 shows at Ralph Wilson Stadium...

I'd take the whole family and the jealous neighbor ("Mrs. K. I can't believe you got to see U2 twice!! ")...or would I wait until the Fenway Park gig and only bring my oldest??

I really think they're a bit tired of touring and we certainly wouldn't want them to burn out .
Old 01-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

i find 3 stadium shows outside of buffalo a bit hard to believe...

and unless anything has changed in the past couple of weeks, the tour will end in hawaii... any holds on stadiums will be given up.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I wonder if the Grammies will have anything to do w/ U2 doing US Stadiums?
Old 01-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #13
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by u2rulesmyworld
We heard all these same rumors after the Elevation tour

And i find it hard to believe they would ask your gf 5 months in advance to work an assignment that isnt even confirmed

But we always love when people with 3 post come in here spreading rumors

*books flight for Chicago*
Well seeing as the football season is over and the next home bears game is in August it does not seem to far fetched that an employer would mention that there will be a couple of events in between now and then.

Whether it turns out to be true or not is yet to be seen i guess, but it is a fact that the catering company that serves the sky suites is still, as of 1/15/06, working under the assumption that there will be two U2 shows in June.

Perhaps I could have not used the word "definite" in my post title and perhaps you could offer me a little more respect. The fact that I have only posted on this website 3 times should not automatically default all of my posts to irrelevant. I have no interest in spreading rumors about U2. To be honest, U2 is my second favorite band to Dave Matthews Band...and I post on fan websites frequently there. I understand how it can be frustrating when a "newbie" posts a friend of a friend of a friend heard this or that. My girlfriend is 28 years old what she heard is a fact, whether it turns out to be true or not remains to be seen. I am not new to these boards I just don't feel the need to post very often. You can spare the sarcasm and the ticket to Chicago...please.

ryan
Old 01-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by zoopop
I wonder if the Grammies will have anything to do w/ U2 doing US Stadiums?
Good one zoopop, I was thinking the same thing. It seems like U2 always like to keep their alternatives open. Yes, it does look like they are ready to stop touring , but if they win album of the year things may change from a business standpoint: Interest in the album would spike (and this would not be from the diehards but a new audience) and they would likely issue a new single/radio track (Miracle Drug?) in the U.S. or reissue a previously released track (push harder for Original or restart City of Blinding Lights). A tour would not be inconceivable at this point, especially if they already have the dates booked.

Of course, this has been my wet dream for months now so I may be biased.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:00 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Are U2 even going to be at the Grammys?
Old 01-20-2006, 06:06 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by sami0201
I bet they will. The Grammys only just announced the first three performers (Kanye West, John Legend and Mariah Carey) two days ago, there will definitely be more announced in the coming two weeks.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Well seeing as the football season is over and the next home bears game is in August it does not seem to far fetched that an employer would mention that there will be a couple of events in between now and then.

Whether it turns out to be true or not is yet to be seen i guess, but it is a fact that the catering company that serves the sky suites is still, as of 1/15/06, working under the assumption that there will be two U2 shows in June.

Perhaps I could have not used the word "definite" in my post title and perhaps you could offer me a little more respect. The fact that I have only posted on this website 3 times should not automatically default all of my posts to irrelevant. I have no interest in spreading rumors about U2. To be honest, U2 is my second favorite band to Dave Matthews Band...and I post on fan websites frequently there. I understand how it can be frustrating when a "newbie" posts a friend of a friend of a friend heard this or that. My girlfriend is 28 years old what she heard is a fact, whether it turns out to be true or not remains to be seen. I am not new to these boards I just don't feel the need to post very often. You can spare the sarcasm and the ticket to Chicago...please.

ryan
Welcome to the board! People get a little testy around here because this type of stuff gets posted all the time. Some can just be jerks with new people. I have no problem believing your girlfriend was asked/told what you say. The reason I say that is because it is known that the band thought of doing some stadium shows this summer in N. America and held dates at alot of stadiums for this summer. Word is though that they are not going to exercise their option to use their reservations and the tour will end in Hawaii. So U2 at Soldier Field is unlikely. They could change their mind but based on what Edge said recently in the Rolling Stone interview odds are greatly against further shows in N. America (other than Hawaii ) on this tour.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:00 PM   #18
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room

Welcome to the board! People get a little testy around here because this type of stuff gets posted all the time. Some can just be jerks with new people. I have no problem believing your girlfriend was asked/told what you say. The reason I say that is because it is known that the band thought of doing some stadium shows this summer in N. America and held dates at alot of stadiums for this summer. Word is though that they are not going to exercise their option to use their reservations and the tour will end in Hawaii. So U2 at Soldier Field is unlikely. They could change their mind but based on what Edge said recently in the Rolling Stone interview odds are greatly against further shows in N. America (other than Hawaii ) on this tour.
Thanks for being more cordial. It just baffles me that one could be such a huge fan of a band that promotes a message of tolerance and not exhibit any of that themselves. Hopefully I find more people like yourself on these boards in the future!

cheers,
ryan
Old 01-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #19
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Quote:
Originally posted by sami0201

Being as they have jet-setted around the globe for years and they DO have Vertigo Air at their disposal I'd say it's a good chance they WILL be there....especially since they are still on tour. Bono is in DC Feb 3rd...when is their first show, Feb 20th or somesuch? I'm willing to bet at the very least Bono and Edge are there. Now I wonder if they'll be PERFORMING at the Grammy's....
Old 01-23-2006, 11:04 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Feb. 12 in Monterrey