Question About Boston Show & 14 fans Onstage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partygirl43

Refugee
....was this pre-arranged? I mean how did 14 supposedly ramdom people in the ellispe happen to have flags of different countrys--and then Bono pulls them all up? It seems very contrived.

Just wondering....

PartyGirl 43

nope, wasn't prearranged.
I was in the bomb shelter, my friend was one of the women pulled up - she brought the Zootopians banner - and had nothing at all to do with the others.
I could have done without the thirty other teenyboppers who damned near started a riot also trying to get onstage after that though. :mad:

partygirl43 said:
....was this pre-arranged? I mean how did 14 supposedly ramdom people in the ellispe happen to have flags of different countrys--and then Bono pulls them all up? It seems very contrived.

Just wondering....

PartyGirl 43

I met a lot of the flag people in the gA line. They were behind me.

Michelle from Boston came up with the idea. Everyone had flags in her group. she even had a Boston flag.

She said they all come out when ONE plays. I'm glad that they all got into the ellipse to do that.

They were so excited after the show!!

Great bunch of fans!!!

Re: Re: Question About Boston Show & 14 fans Onstage

skjuls said:

I met a lot of the flag people in the gA line. They were behind me.

Michelle from Boston came up with the idea. Everyone had flags in her group. she even had a Boston flag.

She said they all come out when ONE plays. I'm glad that they all got into the ellipse to do that.

They were so excited after the show!!

Great bunch of fans!!!

how did all 14 people with flags manage to get into the ellipse? :confused:

Re: Re: Re: Question About Boston Show & 14 fans Onstage

Chizip said:

Good question :ohmy:

Chizip said:

well they were split between the GA and Fan Club line and I believe the one who got scanned was able to get 5 people in.

But I dont' know.

Hell, Chip.... Allison let in 3 people in front of me (they 1,2,3 in the GA line) in when they didn't scan. They deserve since one of them was a ellipse rookie. But it was fishy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question About Boston Show & 14 fans Onstage

skjuls said:

well they were split between the GA and Fan Club line and I believe the one who got scanned was able to get 5 people in.

But I dont' know.

Hell, Chip.... Allison let in 3 people in front of me (they 1,2,3 in the GA line) in when they didn't scan. They deserve since one of them was a ellipse rookie. But it was fishy.

sketchiness

thats one thing i dont like about the lottery, they can basically pick and choose who they want in the ellipse.

Originally posted by Chizip ]how did all 14 people with flags manage to get into the ellipse? :confused:

Sam was there!

He's the one in the Chicago DVD booklet...except he wasn't in Chicago...they used a pic from Toronto...hmmm...

It seems he (and those in his immediate presence) has had U2 horseshoes up his ass since Toronto lol...I can vouch for that firsthand :up:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question About Boston Show & 14 fans Onstage

AliEnvy said:

It seems he (and those in his immediate presence) has had U2 horseshoes up his ass since Toronto lol...I can vouch for that firsthand :up:

i hope you werent the one sticking the horseshoes up their asses

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question About Boston Show & 14 fans Onstage

Chizip said:
i hope you werent the one sticking the horseshoes up their asses

I didn't hear any complaints. A few sighs and moans, sure...no complaints.

just a warning...a lot of those fans post here! I am sure they have a different view on the situation than the "trash" that is being talked here!

Many of them were from U2GTA and from all over Europe! Pretty cool that they got on stage after coming that long distance for a show!

I dont believe there is any trash talk going on. I have expressed I was happy for them in other threads, but Chip does raise a good question. Still happy for them, but definitely curious as to how a coordinated group of 10+ people (not couting the zootopians against povery people since apparently they were separate) all managed to get in, specially since I will probably be in my biggest group of the tour in Cleveland with a grand total of 6 people. :)

As for Wolfeden, I believe he/she (sorry, don't know) was a bit trampled in the rush of people trying to get on stage. Whether that was by the actual people that got up on stage or others trying to cash in on the action I do not know. But he/she has personal reasons.

I am just saying...I know others have criticized people here without realizing they post here!

I guess I was reading it wrong (happens a lot with a faceless internet)...it just seemed like people were jumping on these individuals.

There was A LOT of trash talking going on in the elipse last night!

Good luck in Cleveland...I may see you there. :)

I was one of the fans on stage. I was in the second row directly in front of Bono, with who I think is Wolfeden (we waited in line together, right? 64-67) to my right and her friend on my left, I helped hold up the Zootopians banner. Mary, who danced, was behind me, and was a very nice girl, good for her. Bono had definately had his eye on dancing with her from the minute he grabbed her sign (tall girls can dance too) somewhere around Elevation and made a joke to Edge (see what I have to put up with). It was a bit fishy how the people in front of me got into the ellipse so much, and the pushing and shoving and complaining after we got back from the stage was very unnecessary. Some people near me even were yapping on the phone about going on stage and then not being able to reclaim their spots - during other songs!!!!!!! There was also some swearing and "bitch" calling and general unpleasantness directed at people who were I guess inadvertently stepping on the flags - but at the point when this was happening it wasn't actually possible for people in the first to second rows to move due to the pressure from behind. I couldn't really jump or dance anymore.

But the way it actually happened was that Bono saw these flags all lined up on the rail and said that he wanted them on stage, and something along the lines of "2 girls per flag" or something. He then walked along and pointed at who he wanted on stage. Some/most/all(?) of the people holding flags got up, and he pointed at me 3 times in the second row (by then the first), the third time saying to the security guard who was blocking me "she can come on stage." Then the woman with the Zootopians banner got up as well after security had finished blocking her and listened to Bono. He kissed/hugged her and sent her around with the rest of us behind him, Edge and Adam and in front of Larry. We were then directed onto the back of the ellipse where we were when the song ended. I and several others got to say thank you to Edge, Adam, and/or Bono. When I talked to Bono he kissed me, I whispered in his ear what I've always wanted to say to him, and he hugged me. We exited down the back stairway and were directed back into the ellipse where much shoving/compression of the crowd took place. I think some people were not grateful for being up on stage and were too intent on getting exactly their old spot back, though I did somehow end up right in front of Bono again so he could point over my head at Mary to dance:drool:. Anyway it was a fabulous show and an extreme rush to be onstage and I'm still processing it.

*nods to varitek*

zonelistener: I am not "talking trash" and they may read it all they like. Their behavior was atrocious and this sentiment was echoed by several more people as we made our way down the many flights of stairs out of the arena. Most of the offensiveness was committed by two or three specific girls who don't seem to have graduated junior high school yet, judging by their behavior. Disappointing to say the least. I'd expect this sort of crap at an N'Sync show but really now...

Despite their garbage it was a mindblowing show, period full stop.

Well one thing for sure.
After failing to make it into the ellipse for my only GA show in October, I've decided that next tour I'm bringing my son (who if they tour again in the usual 4-5 year timespan will be about 6 years old) and wrapping him up in several flags, thus guaranteeing winning the "lottery".
:wink:

ga lottery

:rant:
the GA "lottery" is a JOKE, last nite I get there at 7:10 & they aren't even SCANNING anymore. I thought this was supposed to go on until at least 8 to give EVERY fan a chance for the ellipse. Some of us do have lives and can't afford to waste a day waiting around in line.
A good show none the less, even had a couple of girls slugging it out in front of me, one of them got a good right cross in. :)

This thread is useless without pictures....I wanna see pictures from that night.

Varitek said:
Some people near me even were yapping on the phone about going on stage and then not being able to reclaim their spots - during other songs!!!!!!!

:ohmy: :sigh:

sounds like an, um,...interesting experience.

but i'm glad that you got onstage, varitek! :up:

still interested in learning about how all the flag people got front row. wonder if they were spaced out in the line and 'lucked out' by winning the lottery, or if some strings were pulled... (like allison did for the 1st 3 girls in line)

Last edited:
glad everyone was in the spirit of the song

"We've got to carry each other"

Hewson said:
Well one thing for sure.
After failing to make it into the ellipse for my only GA show in October, I've decided that next tour I'm bringing my son (who if they tour again in the usual 4-5 year timespan will be about 6 years old) and wrapping him up in several flags, thus guaranteeing winning the "lottery".

:hmm:

My oldest daughter will be about 8 then. She'd probably get up on stage by that point.

Back
Top Bottom