MSG. Hope you're Happy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmb737

Refugee
Well for all those that should be eating crow about U2 underplaying NYC, I hope you enjoy your 8 shows there this tour. Not counting the 17 others shows within an easy 4-5 hours of driving.

MSG has more shows than any other country, after the US.

All you bandwagoning U2 haters, take note.:wink:

Go Blue States!

Last edited:
Dear U2,

If you haven't noticed, there's this funny thing out there called the 'world'. Want to play a little more of it?

Thanks.

Axver said:
Dear U2,

If you haven't noticed, there's this funny thing out there called the 'world'. Want to play a little more of it?

Thanks.

i am guessing that judying by your info that you are fom austraila. its been very clear for a awhile what form this tour is taking and they will be there in the fourth leg. the dollar was/is in tatters and taking a show of this size down there could result in them making a loss.

sikes said:

i am guessing that judying by your info that you are fom austraila. its been very clear for a awhile what form this tour is taking and they will be there in the fourth leg. the dollar was/is in tatters and taking a show of this size down there could result in them making a loss.

From New Zealand, actually, the land unlikely to see U2 again, though I'm stuck in Australia for the moment - at least it's likely to get a tour leg at some point on some tour.

But that's not what really pisses me off. What pisses me off is how U2 focuses so much on Western Europe and particularly the US. There's a whole world out there for them to explore, and they only really did that on the fourth leg of Popmart. I'm sure they could easily sell out stadiums in Eastern Europe, parts of Asia, and South America.

I wonder if they'd be up for doing another Lovetown and skipping the US entirely ...

Axver said:

From New Zealand, actually, the land unlikely to see U2 again, though I'm stuck in Australia for the moment - at least it's likely to get a tour leg at some point on some tour.

But that's not what really pisses me off. What pisses me off is how U2 focuses so much on Western Europe and particularly the US. There's a whole world out there for them to explore, and they only really did that on the fourth leg of Popmart. I'm sure they could easily sell out stadiums in Eastern Europe, parts of Asia, and South America.

I wonder if they'd be up for doing another Lovetown and skipping the US entirely ...

It's funny Axver, that when people complain about U2 chasing the almighty dollar with their album and its promotion, you defend them ... and when they avoid playing Australia/New Zealand, you complain. It's all part of the same strategy. They play the US because there's more money in it - both in touring and the resulting album sales. Why would U2 bother playing Australia right as the album comes out? Doesn't make any financial sense.

Australia is a country of 18 million. The NYC metro area and surrounding areas is over 20 million.

Last edited:
i'd be in heaven to be a U2 fan still living in the NY area...since i used to live in long island.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
NYC- 8 million
Long Island- 2.5 million
Westchester- 1 million
Northern Jersey- 3 million
Southeast Connecticut- 1.5 million

15.5 million... 20 million's a bit overstating, but your point is taken.

Forgot Rockland, Orange and Putnam...that would get it close to 20. ;)

As if there werent enough reasons to love living in New York City!

Thanks alot boys!!!

See you on 5/14, 5/17, 5/21, 10/8, 10/10 and now hopefully 11/21 or 11/22

although i guess that covers more than the nyc metro area and surrounding areas...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
NYC- 8 million
Long Island- 2.5 million
Westchester- 1 million
Northern Jersey- 3 million
Southeast Connecticut- 1.5 million

15.5 million... 20 million's a bit overstating, but your point is taken.

Actually, yeah your numbers are correct. I was just guessing. (glad to know I don't live near as many people as I thought I did! :wink: ) But then again, how many of the 18 million in Australia would geographically be unable to go to a U2 show? There's probably only a few million in the Sydney/Melbourne/Perth area per city ... and with less disposable income per Australian than per metro New Yorker, it's a difficult argument to make that U2 should be touring there anytime soon.

Peelin' off those dollar bills ... $100! $200!

There's more than 20 million people in Australia.

As for metropolitan areas, last I heard:
Sydney - 3.5 million
Melbourne - 3 million
South-east Queensland (Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Ipswich, Toowoomba) - 2.5 million
I think Adelaide and Perth/Fremantle are both past the million mark too.

Per capita, we sure as hell support U2 more than the US. 23 Lovetown shows (back when the population was below 17 million, I'm sure), and I think every single one sold out.

And heck, Auckland, New Zealand, a city of only a million, managed to sell out a stadium and a half on Lovetown (40,000 sellout night one, 20,000 night two). I heard a stat that by the end of Lovetown, 1 in 10 New Zealanders had seen U2 live, though I don't have attendance figures or 1989's population to verify that.

teebee said:

It's funny Axver, that when people complain about U2 chasing the almighty dollar with their album and its promotion, you defend them ... and when they avoid playing Australia/New Zealand, you complain.

It's a conflict of emotions I'm sure you can understand. It is completely understandable that U2 want to make a profit - but it's also completely understandable that those of us in the Southern Hemisphere would like U2 to come down here as U2 hasn't played AT ALL in the Southern Hemisphere for seven years. U2 routinely skip a whole half of the world, and no matter how much I can defend their motivation for doing so, it still bothers me sometimes.

Especially because we support them in droves.

I'd just like U2 to say that "yes, we are coming to the Southern Hemisphere this tour". They don't have to say where or when, but if they would just confirm they're not going to ignore the rest of the world at the expense of New York and Los Angeles and Wherever-the-hell-you-want, that'd be nice.

I hear you. It's disappointing to me as well. I'm sure they'll come this tour to Australia. I would all but guarantee it. It'll most likely be after album sales have flattened worldwide.

It should be Australia in January or February... and I am still hoping for South America shortly after that (March maybe).

And, hey, come back to the States after that!

Back
Top Bottom