MERGED --> Places to Stay in Chicago + Need Chicago Location Advice Quick!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thehepcat

The Fly
Places to stay in Chicago?

I will be at the 4 shows in May and am looking for hotels. I don't really care where in the city I stay, except that I don't want any rough neighborhoods. The other side, of course, is I am on a budget. Any help would be appreciated!

Hepcat, your name is familiar; is it possible we've met? I used to live in Minneapolis, and I'm a friend of Sulawesigirl's IRL. I've been around Interference for a while, but haven't been active much lately. Maybe I just remember you from the boards?

Sorry for the digression! My husband and I have GAs for the May 9th show in Chicago, and we're also still looking for a place to stay. There are a few ideas in the date-specific threads in the "Fan Gatherings" forum. The Congress Plaza hotel is the one that is mentioned most often, but I admit I've been procrastinating and haven't checked this out yet.

I wonder how many of us would have to get together to arrange for a group discount on rooms? (You know, like people do for weddings and such.)

Keep us posted!

-kyra

There are some good hotels near Lakeshore Drive at about 100 dolla a night. I went to two REM shows there last October and spent three nights in a place only a block from the Auditorium Theater, the Travelodge Hotel on 65 E. Harrison. Go to Hotel.com and look it up ( or to their own website). Also the Congress Hotel is a block away from there. At that time, the hotel workers were on strike and if they are still there, I would probably opt for another place. My wife and I were very satisfied with the Travelodge. It wasnt the newest place, but it had a nice feel to it. I'm not sure how far it is from the United Center, and the location is very safe- primarily business, a University, and the Park all within several minutes walk. The El is located about a block or so (the Loop part)..

Happy Travels

Do not- I repeat- do NOT stay at the Congress Hotel.

I'll say it one more time for emphasis- do NOT stay at the Congress Hotel.

The employees have been on strike for almost two full years now, and the place has turned into a major shithole. For the love of God, do NOT stay at the Congress Hotel.

http://congresshotelstrike.info/

i'd appreciate some hotel info as well- never been to chicago, but have heard the area around the United Center is a bit sketch... hotel recommendations much appreciated! :)

*Ally* said:
i'd appreciate some hotel info as well- never been to chicago, but have heard the area around the United Center is a bit sketch... hotel recommendations much appreciated! :)

There are no reputable hotels within walking distance of the United Center. Your best bet, honestly, is to go with Priceline.

www.biddingfortravel.com is a very good resource for seeing what bids have worked in which zones, and which hotels you run the chances of getting.

Kyra1 said:
Hepcat, your name is familiar; is it possible we've met? I used to live in Minneapolis, and I'm a friend of Sulawesigirl's IRL. I've been around Interference for a while, but haven't been active much lately. Maybe I just remember you from the boards?

Sorry for the digression! My husband and I have GAs for the May 9th show in Chicago, and we're also still looking for a place to stay. There are a few ideas in the date-specific threads in the "Fan Gatherings" forum. The Congress Plaza hotel is the one that is mentioned most often, but I admit I've been procrastinating and haven't checked this out yet.

I wonder how many of us would have to get together to arrange for a group discount on rooms? (You know, like people do for weddings and such.)

Keep us posted!

-kyra

It is quite possible... I haven't spoken with Sulawesigirl for a long time now, nor have I posted much in the forum since all the madness started up again. I was at the Minneapolis Elevation show in GA, perhaps we met there or at one of the Chicago shows? Anyway, I'm still looking, being that I am going to be in town 6 nights I need something cheap! I found some Red Roofs for around $50, nothing near downtown but that really doesn't matter I guess...

lukea said:

There are no reputable hotels within walking distance of the United Center. Your best bet, honestly, is to go with Priceline.

www.biddingfortravel.com is a very good resource for seeing what bids have worked in which zones, and which hotels you run the chances of getting.

great, thanks for the info! :) i'll post once i figure out where i'll be staying... looking forward to my first trip to the windy city!!

*Ally* said:

great, thanks for the info! :) i'll post once i figure out where i'll be staying... looking forward to my first trip to the windy city!!

I am going to the Mon, Tues and Thursday shows. I got a decent price for both airfare and hotel from Expedia dot com. $621... the hotel is the Palmer house. I think the airfare has gone up since I booked my combo last month. Chicago is a great city...have fun

A note to hepcat: yes, I was at the Minneapolis Elevation show, and Sula dragged me to a few U2 gatherings, so maybe that's where I know your name from. I haven't been around the forums much lately either (since the madness). I've mostly been lurking to get info on the new tour! Oh, and if you haven't been in touch with Sula lately, you may not know, but she is currently in Africa with the Peace Corps!

Apologies to everyone else for the digression.

OK, I have spent a LONG morning searching for cheap lodging. I am still not coming up with cheap hotels. Well, I am finding cheaper hotels in the suburbs, but by the time you factor in having to drive into the city and park, they're not saving much money.

However, I finally had the brilliant idea to look up the local hostels. For all you people not afraid to sleep in bunk beds in a room with strangers, and to use the bathroom down the hall, this is by far your cheapest option.

The largest and newest hostel in Chicago, and the only HI hostel, is the HI-Chicago. Web site is www.hichicago.org. It's about $30/night. It looks clean, new, and pleasant. They also happily take group reservations. That's right, groups! (I am imagining a room full of PLEBANs...) Hostels do sometimes have private rooms, but I haven't figured out if they do or not. (I have to tell you, for thirty bucks a night, if I could be in a room with other Interferencers, maybe I could stand to be separated from my husband for a couple of nights!) Check out the website, there's lots of info.

There is also the Chicago International Hostel, and the Arlington House Hostel. Both of these received mixed reviews on tripadvisor.com, for what it's worth. These are a bit farther away; the Chicago International is near Loyola, and the Arlington seems to be in a very nice neighborhood.

I also looked at Fat Johnny's Last Resort Home Hostel, but it's not really my kind of place. (As Dave Barry would say, I am NOT making this up!)

I have a long list of hotels I am still sorting through, and will let you know what I find out.

-kyra

Rosemount was recommended to me, as being close to both the airport, and having an El line that takes you to the United Center.

I found my hotel through hotels.com.

For a fair price with quality in great neighborhoods try looking at these:

Wyndham Chicago
Palmer House Hilton
Best Western Inn (cheap, great are of city)
Lenox Suites

Believe it or not, sometimes the Drake Hotel has special rates.

The HI-Chicago has private rooms for $120 (I e-mailed them, and got a prompt and pleasant response). There is at least one available for May 8-10.

The Best Western Inn of Chicago has rooms starting at $120; this was on their website.

There is a boutique hotel in the Lakeview neighborhood called the Majestic, which is advertising rooms with a queen bed starting at $109. www.cityinns.com

The Holiday Inn Express by Midway airport is advertising rooms starting at $104. www.hiexpress.com

Disclaimer: I'm not a travel agent; I don't work for any of these hotels: I'm not recommending any of these places. Also, people, please remember that often the prices quoted do not include taxes, which I'm betting will be high in the area. Also consider if you are able to cancel/change your reservation.

FYI: Taxes for Chicago hotels are 14.9%

Thankfully I booked our hotel back in February and managed to get a rate of $88 + taxes for the Best Western Grant Park... Then again, I am a dork and I have already booked for Toronto in September (if you are going, better book soon, Toronto Film Festival is that same week!!) and Cleveland in December :shifty:

I saw some of you were considering the Congress Plaza hotel, and something in the back of my mind kept telling me there was something fishy with it, but couldnt remember what it was... guess it was the strike bit

:huh:

It is in the same area the Congress and the Essex are in by Grant Park... it is a pleasant walk up to the Miracle Mile, and the museum campus is right across the street... easy access to the freeway going toward the UC, easy transportation from Midway through the Orange Line... :)

No problem :)

Hey Ally!!! :wave:

Which show are you going to? We might be sharing a line again. Am only going to the show on the 7th...

Miroslava said:
No problem :)

Hey Ally!!! :wave:

Which show are you going to? We might be sharing a line again. Am only going to the show on the 7th...

Hey, I'm going to the 7th. I hope to see you there! :wave:

You shall! :) I will not be wearing any Hello, my name is tags though so just look for the tall, probably pissy looking mexican... :wink: I am not very big on the patience thing, so I will probably look cranky while waiting in line :wink:

Miroslava said:
You shall! :) I will not be wearing any Hello, my name is tags though so just look for the tall, probably pissy looking mexican... :wink: I am not very big on the patience thing, so I will probably look cranky while waiting in line :wink:

LOL! I'm sure none of us will be at our best while waiting in line all day. I'm going to be with my mom, so look for the two short redheads, and that'll be us. :wink:

hi..I'm new in here..just wanna ask some question about chicago..I will be here on chicago for 9 and 10th..
how dangerous is UC area and Chicago city?(it's my first trip to chi)
from UC to michigan ave after the show..can I take a cab or what is the best transportation to back to the city..
please let me know,thx

Back
Top Bottom