I just phoned AirCanada Center about GA line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitcher16

The Fly
I was wondering about the GA policy for next weeks concerts in Toronto so I phoned the AirCanada Center and a guy looked into it for me and gave me a call back and said they are not having a numbering system. Just first come first serve, then of course the whole ticket scanning for the ellipse once inside.
I was kinda hoping for a numbering system so I wouldn't have to stand there all morning and day. I am having a hard time selling that to my fiancee who is not a huge fan like myself.
I wonder if she stands in line with me for a bit, meet everyone around and then splits and comes back later if people would be pissed and think she is butting in even though she isn't.

if she arrives early in the morning with you... gets her number from the fan run lineup... hangs around for an hour or so, and then goes off and does some errands, goes shopping, checks some sights, etc. etc.... whatever... but checks back in from time to time, hangin' for a half hour or so back on line with ya, i don't think it would be a problem.

show up, get in line and leave, not to return till just befor doors open? could be a problem.

i left the line for a good 2 hours in philly to go try and get an autograph behind the wachovia center, as well as get some food... was not a problem with anyone, considering as i was there for the majority of the day, baking in the hot sun with everyone else.

Same policy was in place for Vancouver show. Someone was smart enough to bring a notepad and marker...everyone was given a # on thier wrist, and their name was recorded with that # in case of any disputes...you could show up at 9a, come back to the line at 5p...best way to do it, just organise yourselves

yeah that is kind of what I was figuring as well. I would be a bit pissed if all of a sudden I saw someone for the first time in front of me at 5:00. I will assess the situation around me and if people know she is there and are cool if she comes back in a few hours then all should be OK.
thanks

chyland said:
Same policy was in place for Vancouver show. Someone was smart enough to bring a notepad and marker...everyone was given a # on thier wrist, and their name was recorded with that # in case of any disputes...you could show up at 9a, come back to the line at 5p...best way to do it, just organise yourselves

I'm impressed that this actually worked without the venue involved.

It worked great when I went to Chicago May 7. Some assholes tried to cut at the last minute and everyone around me who had been there since 4:30 am told them to piss off and they went to the back of the line. I'm curious to know if there going to do the 2 lines thing again. It was very poorly monitored on Chicago. They just sort of yelled out at about 5:30 pm "If anyone has presale tickets line up over here" and about 300 people all ran to a separate line across the street and I ended up in fifth in line in the presale line. But you could hear people way back in line yelling "What did they say?" if you didn't hear them yell and had presale tickets you would have got screwed. I hope they just stick with 1 line.

I understand the fan numbering thing working fine. What I'm impressed about is that you were able to get your number in the morning and not come back until 5PM.

ramblin rose said:
I understand the fan numbering thing working fine. What I'm impressed about is that you were able to get your number in the morning and not come back until 5PM.

Sorry my post was misleading I still had to wait all day the only part of the numbering system that worked well was the fact that the GA line was not fenced off people lined up on the sidewalk leading up to the United Centre and the numbering system kept people from cutting in line who showed up for the first time at 5:00 pm and pretended they got a number earlier which is bullshit they did not have a number and had to go to the back of the line.

mitcher16 said:
I was wondering about the GA policy for next weeks concerts in Toronto so I phoned the AirCanada Center and a guy looked into it for me and gave me a call back and said they are not having a numbering system. Just first come first serve, then of course the whole ticket scanning for the ellipse once inside.
I was kinda hoping for a numbering system so I wouldn't have to stand there all morning and day. I am having a hard time selling that to my fiancee who is not a huge fan like myself.
I wonder if she stands in line with me for a bit, meet everyone around and then splits and comes back later if people would be pissed and think she is butting in even though she isn't.

Good Luck I hope it works out for you both but in view of another thread I hope for your sake some of the posters from that particular thread arent in the queue, you will have a problem!!
The other person wanted to save a place for his fiance and it caused world war 3!!
Good luck let us know what happens.

govikesU2 said:
Sorry my post was misleading I still had to wait all day the only part of the numbering system that worked well was the fact that the GA line was not fenced off people lined up on the sidewalk leading up to the United Centre and the numbering system kept people from cutting in line who showed up for the first time at 5:00 pm and pretended they got a number earlier which is bullshit they did not have a number and had to go to the back of the line.

That's makes sense.:)

We did check in around 3ish, and some to be honest about half stayed in their spots all day, but it was a long hot day in the sun for them, and no one had any problems if you had come early in the morning to get your # in line.

mitcher16 said:

If people have a problem with it then too bad for them. I could see if it was like 30 people or so but even then it shouldn't matter. I waited in line in Vancouver for 6 hours and right before the doors opend my buddy who isn't a fan(he was after the show) joined me no problem. People have to realsie that one person is not gonna make the slightest difference at all. I was about the 500 person to get inot GM place on the second night and in my opinion I ended up with the best possible spot in the entir building.

Hmm... that's too bad about no numbering system...

What time are we allowed to start lining up at? Does anyone know?

Adelabella said:
standard is 9am, I think. But so far I haven't heard anything officially saying that yet. So hopefully if there's a time, we'll know it soon.

Ah, okay... And do they normally open the parking lot at this time too? Or would you have to find something close by?

There are loads of parking lots all around ACC, and they're open before 9 am, because people start work before then.

As for the ACC parking itself, I have no idea what's going on there because they seem to be erecting some kind of structure in the middle of it which has eaten up like half the space.

Has anyone who has talked with the ACC know their policy about cameras? I have two digital cameras... One with a big, 8x zoom which would be amazing to take in, but I highly doubt it. The other is a small little one with no zoom and not great for distance shots at all (even if it doesn't seem that far away), but maybe it has a better chance to get in.

Generally U2 overrides any venue camera policies. Providing it's not a "professional" looking camera, you should have no problems. But saying "Noopie told me it would be okay" won't help if they deny you :wink:

ACC will let you take in anything which is not an SLR (ie. if your lens is attached to the camera it's fine). If it ain't, it's not gonna be a go.

anitram said:
ACC will let you take in anything which is not an SLR (ie. if your lens is attached to the camera it's fine). If it ain't, it's not gonna be a go.

Really? Hmm... Maybe I'll try bringing both then. It is a pretty big lens, but it is attached... Or do you think I should not bother and stick with the small one? I just don't want to have to run back to the car and leave the line...

Thanks Noopie and anitram for your help.

Back
Top Bottom