Hotel help for 10/8 in NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clip51

The Fly
Looking for a room for the night in the city near the Garden. Any help out there. We stayed at the Holiday Inn on Broadway last time and partied at this little Irish bar around the corner after and it was great. Holiday Inn is booked solid and I can't find anything else for less than an arm and a leg....
Thanks
Chris

Cheapest you'll likely find right now is between $180-$195 on Hotwire for anything midtown...

Also try octopustravel.com or kayak.com

Good Luck. There is hardly anything available that whole weekend, that is reasonable. Like nothing under $380.00 per night.

We got a room at the Hotel Carter in times square for 105.00. It's got really bad reviews though and I'm actually nervous to stay there. It's rated as one of the worst hotels in the city. But you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess.

I wish I could pitch a tent in Central Park!

Last edited:
oktobergirl said:

We got a room at the Hotel Carter in times square for 105.00. It's got really bad reviews though and I'm actually nervous to stay there. It's rated as one of the worst hotels in the city. But you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess.

Ooh, geez. Did you look on tripadvisor.com? (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...iews-Hotel_Carter-New_York_City_New_York.html ) I was going to book Hotel Carter too until I saw the candid photos that were provided. Made me ill. Tell me if the reviews and photos speak the truth!

buahahaha, those hotel reviews are great, just the titles are good.

"Absolutely Horrific!!!!!"

"I will always remember this horrible experience!!!"

"Disgusting"

"Horror !!!"

"worst hotel in the world!!"

"absolutely awful"

"Hated the Carter"

"The worst hotel I've ever stayed in"

but then there was

"Not to shaby!"

:lmao:

holy crap, read this review

You must avoid this hotel at all costs !! Please trust me : spend more but do not go to this place. When we got there, a couple of prostitutes where hanging out in the lobby. One of them was screaming out profanities to the manager and asking for her money back. When it was our turn to check in, the service was so awful that I started feeling bad for the prostitute !
- Our reservations weren't there but we had already been billed on our credit card.
-The staff was rude.
-The rooms were filty.
-We found maggets on our beds.
-Theres were holes and red stains in our so called towels.
-There were no lights in the bathrooms.
-There were moles everywhere in the bathtub.
-The TV was not working.
-There was unidentified hair on our sheets and pillows.
We paid for 3 nights but only stayed for a couple of hours because it was so disgusting. Don't think that I'm a picky person. After all, I'm from Haïti so I've seen povrety and some pretty wild stuff but I would still prefer a spot under a tree then a room at that hotel. When we decided to leave, at the lobby were at least 12 other angry and screaming tourists from France, Brazil, Spain that were all complaining to the management team who didn't seem to care.
Book elswere or don't go to New York !

i hope nobody is really going to stay there :crazy:

i do not trust new york hostels... i wouldn't recomend them to anyone. the extra 50-60 bucks are worth it to stay in a name brand hotel.

yes, some of the hostels are just fine and dandy... but some are sketchy to no end. so unless you personaly know someone who did the hostel thing and can tell you the place is ok? don't do it.

the carter is a joke... but i tend to doubt just one part of that last review... this ain't the 70s... you don't see prostitutes just walking around midtown manhattan. rudy sent them all to brooklyn.

any hotel, esp. this late in the game, is going to be very very expensive, being a holiday weekend and all.

Last edited:
You might also want to consider finding something not right in the city that has easy access to one of the many train lines that go in to Penn Station, which is right under MSG.

Would probably be much cheaper, and trains are fun to ride. :-D

Bigzamboni said:
You might also want to consider finding something not right in the city that has easy access to one of the many train lines that go in to Penn Station, which is right under MSG.

Would probably be much cheaper, and trains are fun to ride. :-D

:up:

would highly recomend staying in a place in jersey or long island as opposed to a hostel in manhattan.

long island rail road and jersey transit are both top quality commuter rail lines... the combined price of the hotel and round trip train ticket would probably still be at least 50 bucks cheeper than a good cheep hotel in manhattan, let a lone an expensive one.

The day I purchased the tickets in the spring, I checked out the Super 8 Times Square to see how much it would cost - I spent $125 there last spring and it's quite a bit better than your typical Super 8. For that weekend, the price had already jumped to $189/night and I balked. I saw it going for $299 last week - now it's sold out. I'm looking into HotWire now.

Has anyone used HotWire and had bad experiences before? I'm weary about booking and paying without seeing what hotel I'm saddled with. (If Tripadvisor is true, even the nice hotels have plenty of problems!)

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i do not trust new york hostels... i wouldn't recomend them to anyone. the extra 50-60 bucks are worth it to stay in a name brand hotel.

no way man, hostels are awesome! i've stayed at two different hostels in new york the last year and didn't have any issues with them. i guess it depends on how put off you are by public restrooms. i lived in a college dorm for four years not so long ago, and i'd say the experience was not much different.

bollox said:

no way man, hostels are awesome! i've stayed at two different hostels in new york the last year and didn't have any issues with them. i guess it depends on how put off you are by public restrooms. i lived in a college dorm for four years not so long ago, and i'd say the experience was not much different.

did ya just simply stop reading after the first paragraph?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
yes, some of the hostels are just fine and dandy... but some are sketchy to no end. so unless you personaly know someone who did the hostel thing and can tell you the place is ok? don't do it.

just like there are good hotels and bad hotels, there are good hostels and bad hostels. and unless you know someone who can vouch for one, i wouldn't suggest it. last thing someone comming from hundreds to thousands of miles away wants to do is end up in some rat infested shit hole.

and back to the increased hotel prices this weekend... it's columbus day weekend. big tourist weekend in the city. was to be expected.

melsbud said:
The day I purchased the tickets in the spring, I checked out the Super 8 Times Square to see how much it would cost - I spent $125 there last spring and it's quite a bit better than your typical Super 8. For that weekend, the price had already jumped to $189/night and I balked. I saw it going for $299 last week - now it's sold out. I'm looking into HotWire now.

Has anyone used HotWire and had bad experiences before? I'm weary about booking and paying without seeing what hotel I'm saddled with. (If Tripadvisor is true, even the nice hotels have plenty of problems!)

I can say 100% I've had nothing but good experiences with Hotwire on anything rated 3 stars or better, the hotels are awesome..

We'll be 8 miles away for $69 courtesy of Hotwire, cant beat that! :)

melsbud said:

I can say 100% I've had nothing but good experiences with Hotwire on anything rated 3 stars or better, the hotels are awesome..

We'll be 8 miles away for $69 courtesy of Hotwire, cant beat that! :)

Back
Top Bottom