Hawaii, April 8th (and 9th?!) - Aloha Stadium! - Part XIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ That's for the Rolling Stones concert in Brazil, right?

I'm all for u2 doing an additional (free) beach concert on Hawaii!
The thought of it alone.
:drool:

And a big WOAH about the release of more GA tickets and opening up the sections next to the stage!
What's up with that?
No matter how you look at it:

Nail in the coffin for the second show for sure.

Last edited:
Miringeltje said:
Nail in the coffin for the 2nd show for sure.
Indeed, I was thinking they ought to save section M and sell those the day of the show to walk-ups and tourists, but if they're getting into that now, there's no way there's going to be a second show.

You know, I just thought of a bit of twisted logic. See if this makes sense:

If U2 adds a second show, they'll want both to sellout. Capacity is listed at 35,000, so they'd need to sell 70,000 overall. The way Boxscore or whoever reports these concerts, they just list the total for all nights at a venue. So if U2 sold 40K to the first night and 30K to the second night, the Hawaii listing would say "attendance 70,000, sellouts:2".

Does that make any sense? Overselling the first show to make up for a possible shortfall from the second show? There's no rule that says capacity has to be right at 35K, right? If they can break it in one direction for the first show, they can break it in the other direction for the second show. Possible solutions include not selling any seats in any of the "obstructed" A and AA sections, or maybe only selling 14K GA tickets instead of 15K. That would be a legitimate way to lower capacity without leaving the upper deck empty or something ugly like that.

Okay, I'll admit, I'm just grasping at straws here.

This is weird expanding the seating and GA area.

I just pulled up 4 GAS, wow, people out there don't even know they are available again, this is just wild especially with people still clamoring for tickets.

Those section M seats look like they'd be at a 10 degree viewing angle at best....close to the stage, but I wouldn't think the visuals would be good.

cleazer said:
You know, I just thought of a bit of twisted logic. See if this makes sense:

If U2 adds a second show, they'll want both to sellout. Capacity is listed at 35,000, so they'd need to sell 70,000 overall. The way Boxscore or whoever reports these concerts, they just list the total for all nights at a venue. So if U2 sold 40K to the first night and 30K to the second night, the Hawaii listing would say "attendance 70,000, sellouts:2".

Does that make any sense? Overselling the first show to make up for a possible shortfall from the second show? There's no rule that says capacity has to be right at 35K, right? If they can break it in one direction for the first show, they can break it in the other direction for the second show. Possible solutions include not selling any seats in any of the "obstructed" A and AA sections, or maybe only selling 14K GA tickets instead of 15K. That would be a legitimate way to lower capacity without leaving the upper deck empty or something ugly like that.

Okay, I'll admit, I'm just grasping at straws here.

:hmm: Verrrrrrrrrr interesting perspective and one that really would not shock me if it was in fact to prove true.

The M's I pulled up were only $95 bucks so you seem to correct about the view.

weinerdog said:
Those section M seats look like they'd be at a 10 degree viewing angle at best....close to the stage, but I wouldn't think the visuals would be good.

You're right about that very point, weinerdog....behind or in front of the stage, direct views of the visuals are excellent, and most side seats. But that one angle in M just doens't seem to be a very good idea from a good view perspective. WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS? :mad:

Carek1230 said:

You're right about that very point, weinerdog....behind or in front of the stage, direct views of the visuals are excellent, and most side seats. But that one angle in M just doens't seem to be a very good idea from a good view perspective. WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS? :mad:

anyone pull up any L seats?

this is indeed a bizarre turn...

Could they have gone from concert in baseball configuration to concert in football configuration?

The concert in baseball configuration map is gone from the Aloha Stadium.

Probably not.
But just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

bort269 said:
anyone pull up any L seats?

No, I don't think so.
I think they're trying to sell the sections that are going to be closest to the stage (M and MM) first.
Then on to the sections further away (L and LL).

Last edited:
got this useless reply from the Hawaiian news channel:

To: "Firas Khatib" <u2rules@u2.com>
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 17 Feb 2006 23:45:41.0919 (UTC)

As of 1:40pm...no contract signed with the Stadium for a 2nd concert.

bort269 said:
got this useless reply from the Hawaiian news channel:

To: "Firas Khatib" <u2rules@u2.com>
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 17 Feb 2006 23:45:41.0919 (UTC)

As of 1:40pm...no contract signed with the Stadium for a 2nd concert.

That's great journalism, shit, we all know that.

Having sat side stage a number of times, I can vouch for the fact that those seats, while perhaps in the 2nd price tier, are often superior to the direct on view seats at the waayyyyyy back that are 1st pricing tier. I don't go to watch the screens, I go to be close to the band. I've been side stage literally 30 ft from the Edge in supposedly "inferior" seats that I wouldn't have traded for a moment. Actually, L is even with what would have been the tip of the ellipse, which were the most coveted and expensive reserved seats of this tour.

Aloha everyone...I just drove by the stadium today and it's already in baseball configuration. I thought that was exciting!

See ya on April 8th!

Sec FF Row 1 Seats 1 & 2

This is all so freaken weird.

I just pulled 2 GAs a full half hour after reading someone else's post about pulling GAs. Earlier in the tour they would've been gone by now...

I've been keeping the faith for a second show, but now it's beginning to crumble...

dream chaser said:
This is all so freaken weird.

:yes:

dream chaser said:
I just pulled 2 GAs a full half hour after reading someone else's post about pulling GAs. Earlier in the tour they would've been gone by now...

It's even worse than that.
I pulled up 4 GA's at 8 PM.
2 hours and 15 minutes later and they're still available.

dream chaser said:
I've been keeping the faith for a second show, but now it's beginning to crumble...

Same here.
And it (keeping the faith) has been hard, 'cause normally I'm more the pessimistic kind.

I guess it was just wishfull thinking on my part.

Last edited:
tryan101 said:
Having sat side stage a number of times, I can vouch for the fact that those seats, while perhaps in the 2nd price tier, are often superior to the direct on view seats at the waayyyyyy back that are 1st pricing tier. I don't go to watch the screens, I go to be close to the band. I've been side stage literally 30 ft from the Edge in supposedly "inferior" seats that I wouldn't have traded for a moment. Actually, L is even with what would have been the tip of the ellipse, which were the most coveted and expensive reserved seats of this tour.

I sat 2nd row sidestage in Vancouver next to Edge's piano, it was amazing. But I don't know how good they will be in a stadium setting.

trevster2k said:

I sat 2nd row sidestage in Vancouver next to Edge's piano, it was amazing. But I don't know how good they will be in a stadium setting.

Hey trev, what section were you in? I was at Vancouver I, and we had 3rd row seats in sec. 118. Pretty freaking incredible!! :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom