Cardiff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arcadion

Acrobat
Anyone going to the Cardiff show? And for those with GA tix when are you lining up? I plan to join the queue at 11:00. Will that give me a decent view? I'm not too concerned about getting into "the egg". Any other tips? as this is my first concert.

Im not going to Cardiff but going Ga at Manchester & Glasgow.
Having seen both Elevation DVDS and losds pf pix I think the tip of the egg or close to the outer side is the place to be.

Bono spends so much time at the tip If you are inside the egg if you want to see bono you have to turn around then you cant see the rest of the show!

Stand outside it and you see everything!

My plans are to get there about 10am for each show

Hope thats early enough for a good view Im not too bothered if I cant real close, but if I can see the show without looking at the screens I will be more than happy

I agree the tip of the egg is the best place to be .
You never have to turn around and the sound is optimum there.

Im going to Cardiff but i wasnt expecting to get there as early as you people are saying. If i queue say 3 or 4 hours before the gates open, where should that leave me when i get in?any ideas? im new at this!!

Boozyuzi said:
I am also going to Cardiff.

What do you guys think - roof open or shut ??

I've pondered this.. as a Cardiffian who's best concerts in the old Arms Park were on hot and sunny open air days my gut reaction is for an open roof. Then again in those days, like the JT and ZooTV tours there were at least 3 support acts so there was an afternoon mini-festival feel to the day.

On the other hand I saw the Chili's in the new stadium with the roof shut, and the sound of the crowd and band was phenominal and the drama of the lights going down to pitch black is pretty impressive.

Either way I hope we can get some form of wristband early on like at Earl's Court and retreat to the pubs.. as the stadium is right in the middle of town there will be a carnival atmosphere!!

Damn I'm excited.

Princey said:
Im going to Cardiff but i wasnt expecting to get there as early as you people are saying. If i queue say 3 or 4 hours before the gates open, where should that leave me when i get in?any ideas? im new at this!!

I don't think we'll get an idea of how this will pan out until the tour starts. It was easier to manage with the arena shows on the last tour. This time, there won't be 1 queue, certainly at Cardiff there will be a north, south, east and west queue. with 70000 or so people, I imagine that the first that get towards the heart/egg/omlette or whatever will be given a wristband. That's what happened at Zooropa for those wanting to get into the front enclosure.

So the only tip I would give is, get there early, get in your queue, and when you get inside run like hell for the front (without security noticing!).. It was surprisingly easy at Zooropa I think mainly because most of the punters weren't aware of the sheep pen at the front/arrived later in the afternoon/milled around the stadium having beer or buying a tshirt.

Last edited:
Jim, I've got Cardiff Central Travelodge booked - I think it must be near the stadium but I am not sure ?

It's at St Mary St, Imperial Gate.

Any idea how much a taxi would cost from the Airport to the Travelodge ?

One last quick question - I am a wheelchair user - Is Cardiff pretty flat or is there loads of them annoying hills there ???

Thanks in advance for any help.

Boozyuzi said:
Jim, I've got Cardiff Central Travelodge booked - I think it must be near the stadium but I am not sure ?

One last quick question - I am a wheelchair user - Is Cardiff pretty flat or is there loads of them annoying hills there ???

im in the same hotel mate... i would imagine all the hotels in cardiff will be like a u2 convention...... bring it on!!!!!!!!!

I booked my hotel today. all the ones near the stadium said they were fully booked, but i eventually found a bed and breakfast called 'blue dragon' about 3km from city centre. I can check in earliest at 2pm so i gues i wont be queuing til at least 2.30 now anyways.

Boozyuzi & Chrissybaby:

Cardiff Central Travelodge is right by the stadium (I'd estimate about 500 metres max). Behind it also is Cardiff Central train station. Underneath it is the lively Walkabout bar, and is where I'm sure a lot of U2 fans will be on the day (me included!) - great music! There are plenty of other bars around this area too. 'Chippy lane' is directly across the road for your 3am kebab!

Cardiff centre is flat too you'll be glad to hear, so no worries with a wheelchair. I'd say expect a taxi to the hotel to cost about £20, but make sure you pre-book one when returning to the airport. The taxi drivers are notorious there for making up prices as they go along!!

Have a good time in Cardiff both - promises to be an excellent night!

Boozyuzi said:

As Brittar said Cardiff is nice and flat plus the stadium has good access for wheelchair users. The airport is about 20 mins drive from the city centre.

If nearer the time you'd like some local taxi numbers, or need any help with anything else feel free to drop me a line.

Cheers,
Jim

Jim said:

I've pondered this.. as a Cardiffian who's best concerts in the old Arms Park were on hot and sunny open air days my gut reaction is for an open roof. Then again in those days, like the JT and ZooTV tours there were at least 3 support acts so there was an afternoon mini-festival feel to the day.

On the other hand I saw the Chili's in the new stadium with the roof shut, and the sound of the crowd and band was phenominal and the drama of the lights going down to pitch black is pretty impressive.

Either way I hope we can get some form of wristband early on like at Earl's Court and retreat to the pubs.. as the stadium is right in the middle of town there will be a carnival atmosphere!!

Damn I'm excited.

Yeah I've to GA's for Cardiff and I'm really looking forward to it.
I've wondered what they'll be doing with the roof, I saw the Phonics there the Christmas before last (shockingly bad gig but still) and the roof was closed. It felt almost like an arena but it might be a bit warm. Atmosphere wise the roof might be a really good thing.

chrissybaby, me and my girlfriend are staying at Cardiff Central Travelodge from the Monday until the Thursday so maybe see you there !

Brittar & Jim, thanks for the Cardiff info - I am going to Hampden & Twickenham as well but Millenium Stadium is the one I am looking froward to the most.

Especially if the roof is shut.:wink:

I wish i was going to Cardiff, or any show for that matter, completely missed out :sad:

I will be there, driving from sunny Middlesbrough, should take about 5 hours.

Haven't yet booked hotel, but thinking of staying in Bristol and getting train in.

I am seated but really would like GA's. Anyone got one spare??!!

Went to see Middlesbrough playing in the Carling cup last year, and what a great stadium.

I think the roof should be closed, as the atmosphere generated will make for a great concert.

Hmmmm, not sure about the roof thing. I'd probably prefer it to be open to be honest - after being indoors last time, it would be nice to have a change! And after all, they probably wouldnt be picking to do some stadium shows, if they were then gonna close the roof during one of them.

Don't get me wrong, I will enjoy either with roof open or closed, it is just that I have been told that the atmosphere when the roof is closed is great.

However, again the outdoor stadium is back to the good old U2 times of large outdoors!

All I now, is I wouldn't miss it for the world.

I reckon it will be shut.

They are playing Schalke Stadium which has a sliding roof so we will have an idea in advance.

Amsterdam Arena has one as well but thats after Cardiff.

I'm going to the Cardiff gig with my younger brother - it'll be the first U2 gig for both of us :d

I'm having a bit of trouble booking a room. Does anybody know of a hotel or B&B that might still have available rooms? If not, I'm sure we'll travel back home as soon as we can.

Same here we are having problems getting a room!!
We are travelling down at 4am its too far to coem back the same day!!:huh:

There are lots of B&Bs/hotels on Cathedral Road, which is a short walk (roughly 5 mins) from the stadium. There are too many to name here, but you might try some of the following (I'm just picking things out of the Cardiff phonebook; I can't speak for the quality of the rooms etc.):

Abbey Hotel: 029 2039 0896
Cathedral Hotel: 029 2023 6511
Courtfield Hotel: 029 2022 7701
Crown Dale Hotel: 029 2034 4060
Georgian Hotel: 029 2023 2594
Lincoln House Hotel: 029 2039 5558
Penrhys Hotel: 029 2023 0548

If you don't mind paying a bit more, the Angel Hotel (029 2064 9200) and the Holiday Inn Castle Street (0870 4008140) are as close as you can possibly get to the stadium. (Use the Holiday Inn on Pentwyn Road as a last resort, as it's several miles from the city centre.) There's an Ibis Hotel on Churchill Way, which is about a 10-minute walk from the stadium (029 2064 9250). Jury's and the Hilton are also close.

Finally, there are also various B&Bs over on Newport Road. Again, I'd suggest using those as a last resort, as it's a bit of a trek from that part of Newport Road to the stadium (25-30 minutes).

Feel free to post any queries about the city, and I'll do what I can to help.

Neil

Princey said:
I booked my hotel today. all the ones near the stadium said they were fully booked, but i eventually found a bed and breakfast called 'blue dragon' about 3km from city centre. I can check in earliest at 2pm so i gues i wont be queuing til at least 2.30 now anyways.

Tried loads of hotel and b&b today all full but got in at the Blue Dragon like you.

Looks like we are coming from the same town as well as we live in Hull!!:wink:

Just had a further thought about hotel rooms in Cardiff. If most places are full, it might be worth trying the new Future Inn (http://www.futureinns.com/uk/home.html). It's not the cheapest of places (I think that rooms are something like £70-£80, but I'm not exactly sure), but it's only just opened, so not many people know about it yet. The one thing to bear in mind, though, is that it's not really what you'd call 'within walking distance' of the city centre or the stadium, as it's down near the Bay area. If you did want to walk there from the centre, it would probably take something like 45-50 minutes. Getting a taxi or a bus wouldn't be difficult, though (I should think that one of the Cardiff Bay buses stops somewhere near the hotel, and a taxi would probably cost something like £6-£7).
Neil

Back
Top Bottom