Brisbane Pre-Annoucement Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shag On A Rock said:
This is gonna go on for a while longer isn't it? Australia may well be locked in but theres some problem somewhere else isn't there? South or Central America? Japan?

:(

i think.

Nothing new:

Madden welcomes U2 with a transport warning

TWO concerts scheduled by Irish rock group U2 for the end of the Commonwealth Games will put extra pressure on public transport and planned traffic restrictions, Games Minister Justin Madden conceded yesterday.

Most major events have observed an unwritten rule not to organise major events during next year's Games period, but U2 are expected to play two shows at Telstra Dome on March 24 and 25.

Mr Madden said the concerts would add to the atmosphere in Melbourne, but conceded they would also add to the logistical headaches.

"Logistically it is going to put a bit of pressure on the operations of the Games in and around the Telstra Stadium end of town," he said.

"They are matters that we will have to factor into the transport and traffic management."

The Age revealed the concert dates just two days after the Government unveiled a swathe of traffic restrictions for the city during the Games.

The men's 50 kilometre walk travels through the Docklands on the day of the first U2 concert, causing some streets around Telstra Dome to be blocked off between midnight and 3.30pm.

As well as sell-out crowds at the MCG, Vodafone Arena and other Games events, the concerts are likely to attract at least 40,000 each night.

Despite the extra concerns, Mr Madden said the U2 concerts were exciting and could bring more international visitors to Melbourne for the Games period.

"This is going to really help promote the city internationally," he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio.../2005/11/08/1131407639744.html?oneclick=true#

Hope they announce it today :|

Nothing as yet......am scouring the morning papers though
No news in QLD yet ?
Also just heard that on the first night in LA it was officially announced to the roadcrew , who were then all instructed to fill out their visa's for australia and s america then and there !!

Well then, why are they sitting on the news? :rant:

Hurry up and announce it, lads! :impatient:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10354330

This article suggests Auckland dates of March 17/18.......

U2 may play in Auckland

By Scott Kara

Irish rockers U2 could be celebrating next St Patrick's Day with a concert in Auckland.

The band are strongly rumoured to be planning one show - possibly two - at Western Springs Stadium as part of their Vertigo world tour. A probable Auckland date is Friday, March 17 - St Patrick's Day.

Meanwhile, there is also speculation the Rolling Stones will include New Zealand on their A Bigger Bang world tour, which is due to hit Australasia in March and April.

One music industry source told the Herald that St Patrick's Day and the day after had been booked for U2. It was not clear whether the second night was a "rain date" or for a second performance.

Forums on the local U2 fansite, u2newzooland.com, have been running hot with news the band could be touring here for the first time since 1993's Zooropa tour.

A Christchurch fan, who attended two U2 concerts in Los Angeles recently, made a post on the website saying U2's longtime soundman, Joe O'Herlihy, told him before one of the shows that the band would be playing in Auckland on St Patrick's Day.

"He said they will be playing Western Springs and for two nights," said the post.

On U2's official website, U2.com, there are no tour dates for Australia or New Zealand. However, an email was sent to subscribers saying an announcement about concerts would be made in the next few days.

It is understood Australian promoter Michael Coppel is talking to U2 about touring Downunder. But a Coppel spokesman said, "No agreements have been signed and any speculation is premature."

U2 have a special bond with New Zealand since the song One Tree Hill, from the 1987 Joshua Tree album, was dedicated to a Kiwi U2 crew member, Greg Carroll, who died in a car accident in Dublin in 1986.

Bono, his wife, and drummer Larry Mullen Jnr attended the funeral in New Zealand.

Author
• More by Scott Kara
• Email Scott Kara

The 17th and 18th would work better with me. Clearly, U2 have been negotiating with me. :wink:

Last night i just remembered , i've got a bloody wedding in melbourne on april 1 , hopefully they play wagga wagga that weekend and sydney the following weekend !!
How bigs the venue in auckland ?

So the updated gossip is:

21 February 2006 - Brazil
22 February 2006 - Brazil
2 March 2006 - Mexico City Foro Sol
16 or 18 March 2006 - Auckland Western Springs
17 March 2006 - Auckland Western Springs
24 March 2006 - Melbourne Telstra Dome
25 March 2006 - Melbourne Telstra Dome

:|

celticbhoy said:
Last night i just remembered , i've got a bloody wedding in melbourne on april 1 , hopefully they play wagga wagga that weekend and sydney the following weekend !!
How bigs the venue in auckland ?

Tell the people you're very sorry, you can't attend the wedding as you have suddenly developed weddingophobia. :wink:

Western Springs Stadium can hold over 50,000, someone on U2NewZooland said it will be totally GA.

Axver said:

Tell the people you're very sorry, you can't attend the wedding as you have suddenly developed weddingophobia. :wink:

Western Springs Stadium can hold over 50,000, someone on U2NewZooland said it will be totally GA.

It's primarily a speedway. :drool:

I'm trying to find some piccies of it but suprisingly there is nothing!

timothius said:

It's primarily a speedway. :drool:

I'm trying to find some piccies of it but suprisingly there is nothing!

That's what happened to me last night! I couldn't believe the total lack of information available.

Attention Lurkers,

When I make posts such as:

------
So the updated gossip is:

21 February 2006 - Brazil
22 February 2006 - Brazil
2 March 2006 - Mexico City Foro Sol
16 or 18 March 2006 - Auckland Western Springs
17 March 2006 - Auckland Western Springs
24 March 2006 - Melbourne Telstra Dome
25 March 2006 - Melbourne Telstra Dome
--------

If you chose to copy that kinda post onto other sites please copy the first line as well. There is usually a reference to this as rumours or gossip. Please do not post my posts as fact. That listing is a compliation of gossip/rumours so far. It could well be accurate but nothing has been officially confirmed. Coping my post as fact could cause inconvenience/expense to other members of the U2 community.

Last edited:
Actually that post sounds like I don't respect Lurkers. I do. Especially the ones that email me gossip/info.

Thank you.

Back to your regular scheduled programme.

Last edited:
celticbhoy said:

One music industry source told the Herald that St Patrick's Day and the day after had been booked for U2. It was not clear whether the second night was a "rain date" or for a second performance.

This is positive for a few reasons:

* It differs from the U2NZ post, which means there is another source.
* Those dates are better/cheaper for accommidation/flights.
* That would bring the Auckland/Melbourne difference to 5 days... exactly the same as Robbie Williams, which would make logistical sense.

Info below indicates seating capacity of 60,000.....

Visitor Information: Pasifika Festival
Overview
Visitor Information
Tourist Offices
Pasifika Festival
***When:25 - 26 Mar 2006 (annual)
Where:Western Springs Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand
Cost:Free
Opening Hours:Fri 7.30pm-9.30pm; Sat 9am-6pm
Contact Details
Name:pasifika Festival
Email:pasifika@aucklandcity.govt.nz
Venue Information: Western Springs Stadium
Full Name:Western Springs Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand
Auckland's major stadium, seating 60,000.
Address
Great North Road, Western Springs
Directions
Close to Auckland Zoo, the Museum of Transport & Technology (MOTAT) and Chamberlian Park Golf Course, some 8km (5 miles) west of Auckland city centre via the North Western Motorway.
Parking is available on site.
Contact Details: Western Springs Stadium
Phone:+64 (0) 9 849 3807
Fax:+64 (0) 9 849 3863
Other Information: Western Springs Stadium
http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/

timothius said:

This is positive for a few reasons:

* It differs from the U2NZ post, which means there is another source.
* Those dates are better/cheaper for accommidation/flights.
* That would bring the Auckland/Melbourne difference to 5 days... exactly the same as Robbie Williams, which would make logistical sense.

Yep ... a five day gap will probably also rule out my speculation of a Brisbane date(s) between Auckland and Melbourne. I think this is going to extend into April for sure now.

springs.jpg

There is a piccy of the speedway. I'm not exactly how it morphs into a concert venue with 60,000 capacity. But somehow it does. :yes:

timothius said:
springs.jpg

There is a piccy of the speedway. I'm not exactly how it morphs into a concert venue with 60,000 capacity. But somehow it does. :yes:

Hurrah!

It's New Zealand - anything is possible.

didnt someone get an email from U2.com saying there was an exciting annoucement this week? i seem to recall that from a few days ago. that would surely indicate a new tour annoucement!

bono_man said:
didnt someone get an email from U2.com saying there was an exciting annoucement this week? i seem to recall that from a few days ago. that would surely indicate a new tour annoucement!

Yes, U2.com said in an e-mail that an exciting announcement is coming this week.

Damn well better be today. All this anticipation and tension can't be good for my blood pressure.

Back
Top Bottom