Australia off for 2006/07/08.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man

Thom's Bitch
Sorry...same topic as last thread, I just hated seeing that title!!

Please continue... :)

Also, I heard on Nova last night that U2 are thinking of skipping us.

What can we do apart from bitch in here? Petitions? Letters?

Does any of this even work?

So sad.

Are you serious? How do you know for sure? That is really shitty if it's true.

We start listening to other music/bands and realise everything is not lost. Music is a two-way thing - band to fans. Their choice to actively neglect their fans will have the very natural consequence of me neglecting their music.

Chizip said:
Are you serious? How do you know for sure? That is really shitty if it's true.

Just going on what was said in the other thread & that radio thing. I have emailed Universal but havent got a reply as yet.

timothius said:
We start listening to other music/bands and realise everything is not lost. Music is a two-way thing - band to fans. Their choice to actively neglect their fans will have the very natural consequence of me neglecting their music.

For me, it seems like the only bands I like that are still active don't come here. Except the Finn Brothers, but they bloody come from this part of the planet, so of course they'll play here. It'd be like U2 not playing the US- I mean Ireland.

I just had a thought, feel free to tell me if I am way off...

Bono often preaches of eqality & of those higher on the socio-economic ladder acknowledging & assisting those below - exemplified through his Africa obsession. He aspouses that your race/bank balance/social status should not affect how you are treated in the world.

Now. Using that philosophy and applying it to Bono's day to day life doesn't that raise some inconsistancies?

I'm in no way suggesting that universla Human Rights & Welfare comes close to the importance of a U2 tour. But if Bono really does operate on this logic - I see no reason as to why he isn't trundling down here - to a region that has given the band nothing but support, love, inspiration for songs and the best damn roadie the band ever had. If they can't handle cutting into the massive cash-cow that was the US/Euro tours to dip down here to one of their most supportive markets - then that speaks volumes of them.

I'm speaking more out of frustration of broken loyalty rather than dissapointment of a tour which now looks less and less likely to go ahead.

I could have it all wrong.

Are you all (Aussies and those non-Aussies living is Australia -- that last bit a nod to Axver :wink: ) posting your thoughts on the U2.com boards? I'm not naive enough to think that will really make U2 come there, but maybe it will show them (or their management) just how much you feel.

And I'm still sending "get your butts down to Australia!" vibes off to U2. :yes:

...not that they actually listen to me..... :(

I'm not totally giving up yet, i do believe U2 want to come here, and I try and believe its not ALL about the money, but i dont begrudge them trying to make a profit etc, as this is a business to them *shrug* plus we were told by the end of spet we would hear dates, and im sure its just promotors getting scared and not being able to find venues because of the stupid fucking australian open and commonwealth games! :mad:

Anyway, i am scared, and saddened and worried and annoyed and hating all my friends who saw u2 this year (sorry! lol) but im not giving up hope, because i know they can make it here if they just REALISE how much we all want them to come...

oh well... :huh:

It all sounds fairly grim at this stage. If U2 can't tour Australia and make a profit, I don't understand who can.

While everyone says that Popmart was a flop in Australia, the same can be said for just about everywhere. Not many US dates were sellouts on that tour.

Surely a tour that played arenas and doing three nights in Melbourne and Sydney plus a couple in Brisbane. Rod Laver would fit 19,000 and three nights would sellout at $100-$250 a ticket without too much trouble. For god's sake, the set's built, they just have to wheel it out.

I will never understand WHY U2 do not play in Oz and Japan

Oasis are playing Australia and Japan in Nov and they have sold out nearly all 8 dates so U2 MUST be able to sell out the venues??????

Maybe U2 should do what Oasis do - ditch the extensive light show and stage setup etc and just play the music - I am sure all the Australians would not mind - they just wanna see the band live......
Kisa

Exactly. Having the elaborate stage is great, but if it comes to a choice between having the band play or not at all, the expensive stage will be the first to go.

I have the feeling that U2 want to come, but haven't decided whether to do outdoor or indoor shows. The stage is build, the light curtains you can pack in a suitcase. I really don't see the exhorbitant costs of bringing the arena tour here. The arena shows would definately sell multiple nights in most major capitals, I just think U2 prefer to play stadiums, and thats probably where the hesitation comes into play.

They could play the Exeter hotel on rundle st. That wouldnt cost much. In fact they would be guaranteed at least $250 profit.

:combust:

reptile said:
They could play the Exeter hotel on rundle st. That wouldnt cost much. In fact they would be guaranteed at least $250 profit.

:combust:

Or there is always the Sail and Anchor in Freo :drool:

U2 are really keen on going back to their roots this tour, right? Well, why not some theatre shows? Then they could play places in Australia and NZ they haven't visited before like Darwin, Napier, and Dunedin! :drool:

Axver said:
U2 are really keen on going back to their roots this tour, right? Well, why not some theatre shows? Then they could play places in Australia and NZ they haven't visited before like Darwin, Napier, and Dunedin! :drool:

How many nights would they have to play any given theatre in order to play to as many people as they would in one night at a stadium or even one night in an arena?

namkcuR said:

How many nights would they have to play any given theatre in order to play to as many people as they would in one night at a stadium or even one night in an arena?

In Napier, a city of about 70,000 (I think)? Probably a night or two. Somewhere like Dunedin could probably use 3-4.

Visit the major centres of Australia and New Zealand with a very scaled back tour that focuses on the music itself. Play arenas in the centres that can support (or, for that matter, actually HAVE) an arena show. In the rest, hit the theatres for a couple of nights.

Axver said:

In Napier, a city of about 70,000 (I think)? Probably a night or two. Somewhere like Dunedin could probably use 3-4.

Visit the major centres of Australia and New Zealand with a very scaled back tour that focuses on the music itself. Play arenas in the centres that can support (or, for that matter, actually HAVE) an arena show. In the rest, hit the theatres for a couple of nights.

So basically make it Lovetown for the new millenium, right? :wink:

I agree with what you're saying though, in that it would be a good gesture towards the fans if they came and played even without the normal stage.

namkcuR said:

So basically make it Lovetown for the new millenium, right? :wink:

I agree with what you're saying though, in that it would be a good gesture towards the fans if they came and played even without the normal stage.

Now that you mention it, who needs Vertigo as an opener when Hawkmoon 269 is begging to be played? :wink:

I do wonder if U2 would be prepared to do such a gesture, or if they think people actually go to their shows for reasons beyond the music and won't come if there aren't big screens and bright lights. Seriously, I know they aren't about to do an arena/theatre tour of Australia and New Zealand - Hell will freeze over before U2 perform in Napier or Darwin - but if U2 could do a no-frills tour for their fans here concentrating on their musical catalogue, I think we'd all be well and truly over the moon. I doubt anyone would even comment on the lack of a fancy stage!

Back in the eighties, Bono would say to crowds (typically those a bit flat) "give more to us so we can give more back to you". He knew that supporting a band is a two way process. Well, Australia and New Zealand have certainly given to U2 - one in ten Cantabrians packed Christchurch Lovetown! So will we get anything back?

I have been informed that this may well go ahead... read into it what you will.

U2 Tour of New Zealand (with Australian Sub-Leg)

31st December - Auckland Harbor Viaduct New Year's Eve Party!
1st January - Auckland: St James' Theatre w/ Betchadupa
2nd January - Auckland: St James' Theatre w/ Betchadupa
3rd January - Auckland: St James' Theatre w/ Betchadupa
4th January - Auckland: St James' Theatre w/ Betchadupa
5th January - Auckland: St James' Theatre w/ Betchadupa
7th January - Hamilton: Founders Theatre w/ Betchadupa
8th January - New Plymouth: Showplace w/ Bic Runga
9th January - Rotarua: Convention Centre w/ Bic Runga
11th January - Tauranga: Baycourt Theatre w/ Winston Peters Lonely Hearts Club Band
13th January - Palmerston North: Regent Theatre w/ Shihad
14th January - Palmerston North: Regent Theatre w/Shihad
17th January - Wellington: Town Hall w/Shihad
18th January - Wellington: Town Hall w/Shihad
19th January - Wellington: Town Hall w/Shihad
21st January - Lower Hutt: Lower Hutt Indoor Bowls Arena w/ Shihad
22nd January - Wellington: Regent Theatre w/ Shihad (Wellington Anniversary Day)
24th January - Timaru: Theatre Royal w/ Tim Finn
25th January - Omaru: Town Hall w/ Tim Finn
26th January - Christchurch - Town Hall w/ Scribe & P-Money!
27th January - Christchurch - Town Hall w/ Russ Le-Roq!
28th January - Christchurch - Town Hall w/ A reformed Dragon
29th January - Auckland - Eden Park (Part Of The Auckland Anniversary Day Spectacular supporting Shihad, Bic Runga, Neil Finn, Tim Finn, Betchadupa, The Suburban Reptiles, Scribe & Goldenhorse)
31st January - Wanganui: Opera House w/ Goldenhorse
2nd February - Nelson Bays: Theatre Royal w/ Shihad
4th February - Auckland: St James' Theatre w/ Tim Finn
5th February - Auckland: St James' Theatre (supporting Neil Finn)
6th February - Auckland: Cornwall Park (U2 Play at One Tree Hill on Waitangi Day!)
10th February - Christchurch: Town Hall w/ Scribe
11th February - Duniden: Town Hall w/ Betchadupa
12th February - Duniden: Town Hall w/ Evermore
14th February - Duniden: Town Hall w/ Stellar*
17th February - Invercargill: Civic Theatre w/ Goodshirt
19th February - Stewart Island: Stewart Island Community Hall
21st February - Auckland: Aotea Cenre

Australian Leg...

25th February - Perth: Founders Theatre w/ The Daltons
26th February - Perth: Beli's Lounge Room
27th February - Perth: Founders Theatre w/ Somthing For Kate
28th February - Sydney: State Theatre w/ A reformed Midnight Oil

1st March - Newcastle: Civic Theatre w/ silverchair (only playing good songs)
2nd March - Newcastle: Civic Theatre w/ silverchair (only playing good songs)
3rd March - Newcastle: Civic Theatre w/ silverchair (only playing good songs)
4th March - Newcastle: Civic Theatre w/ silverchair (only playing good songs)
10th March - Brisbane: Brisbane Exhibition Centre??? w/ Dream Theatre & Porcupine Tree SOLD OUT
11th March - Brisbane: Brisbane Convention Centre w/ Kings Of Leon
13th March - Melbourne: Palais Theatre w/ Mark Seymour
14th March - Melbourne: Palais Theatre w/ Mark Seymour
16th March - Melbourne: Palais Theatre w/ Mark Seymour
17th March - Melbourne: Palais Theatre w/ Mark Seymour

New Zealand Return Stadium Leg Leg... (Instead of support there is 30 song sets)

25th March - Auckland: Eden Park
26th March - Auckland: Western Springs Stadium
27th March - Manakau: Ericcson Stadium
29th March - Hamilton: WestpacTrust Park
30th March - Hamilton: WestpacTrust Park
1st April - Wellington: WestpacTrust Stadium (Axver chooses the setlist & is brought on stage whenever he wants)
2nd April - Wellington: WestpacTrust Park
3rd April - Wellington: Basin Reserve
7th April - Christchurch: Jade Stadium
8th April - Christchurch: Jade Stadium
9th April - Christchurch: Jade Stadium
10th April - Christchurch: Jade Stadium
15th April - Duniden: Carisbrook
16th April - Duniden: Carisbrook
18th April - Duniden: Carisbrook
20th April - Queenstown: Queenstown Events Centre
22nd April - Napier: McLean Park
24th April - Taupo: Taupo Convention Centre
27th April - North Harbour - North Harbour Stadium
28th April - Auckland: Eden Park
29th April - Auckland: Eden Park
30th April - Auckland: Eden Park
31st April - Auckland: Eden Park
1 May - Wellington: New Zealand Tax & Securities Office whilst filing for Bankcruptcy.

timothius said:
I have been informed that this may well go ahead... read into it what you will.

U2 Tour of New Zealand (with Australian Sub-Leg)

26th February - Perth: Beli's Lounge Room

:heart:
I'll vaccuum the carpet. :hyper:
I'll dig out all my tupperware cups from the garage :hyper:
I'll ask my children to build a black and red stage out of Lego :hyper:

there's no way in hell U2 would scale back their stage in order to tour 'less fortunate' countries. that stage defines what U2 are about at this moment in time, just like Zoo TV, Popmart & Elevation before them. it just wouldnt happen.

how could they play 22 shows, mostly consecutively, out of 31 days in January alone? 15 out of 28 in February? Not that I will be anywhere near that hemisphere. Just curious....

Tim: :lmao:

1st April - Wellington: WestpacTrust Stadium (Axver chooses the setlist & is brought on stage whenever he wants)

:rockon:

When people see the set on Interference, they'll think it's an April Fool's prank!

And I like how there's a Wellington show on my birthday, 17 January. :drool:

10th March - Brisbane: Brisbane Exhibition Centre??? w/ Dream Theatre & Porcupine Tree

That was the original plan, but there's been a little change. Or ... well, it's a big change actually. They're coming about 60 minutes down the road.

10 March - Gold Coast: Axver's Backyard, Axveriffic Festival, line-up:

8-9am: Pain Of Salvation
9-9:45am: Shihad
9:45-11am: Mark Knopfler
11-11:30am: Dave Dobbyn
11:30am-12:30pm: The Chills
12:30-1pm: Powderfinger (token Aussie act)
1-2pm: Muse
2-2:30pm: Delays
2:30-3pm: Blackfield
3-4:15pm: The Pineapple Thief
4:15-6:15pm: Porcupine Tree (feat. Aviv Geffen and Mikael Akerfeldt)
6:15-6:30: The Dalton Brothers
6:30-8pm: Finn Brothers
8-10pm: Dream Theater
10pm-1am: U2

Ooooh yeaaahhhh :drool:

(... Am I the only person here familiar with even half of these acts?)

Last edited:
Newsflash!

Another date announced!

24th Feb - Fremantle - My backyard ('specially mown for the event).

Tania said:
Newsflash!

Another date announced!

24th Feb - Fremantle - My backyard ('specially mown for the event).

Can Axver's Rocking Band open? I'd like a free trip to the west coast! :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom