Will the opening song become a variable again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceBoy

War Child
I was sad to see that they stopped switching between COBL and LAPOE in Europe. Why was this? The only reason I can think of is that the shows often started in daylight thus taking away from the production value of those songs. But now that they'll be playing arenas again they can control the lighting, etc. So, maybe they'll start doing it again this leg.

I think that due to the nature of playing in a stadium with a larger crowd with more casual fans, the band decided to bust straight into Vertigo in Europe to really hype the audience up. And maybe they also decided opening with Vertigo would suit European audiences better - I've no idea, never been to Europe let alone a concert there, I'm just speculating.

I think they'll return to COBL in the US, alternating with LAPOE in cities with multiple night stands. At the end of the first leg, they really settled into COBL, as I believe only Bono preferred LAPOE, but we'll see what happens this time.

Maybe a fourth opener ... :hmm:

I enjoyed hearing LAPOE as the opener for a few reasons-

1-It gets everybody amped up. I think it has just as big a buildup as COBL does, if not a more powerful one.

2-It fits well in the whole "drop the war and help Africa" section of the show, but I find it the weakest of the tunes in that section. Therefore, they should open the show with it more often to outline the theme of the night, I guess. (You can always replace LAP's spot in that portion with New Year's Day)

Carek1230 said:
I prefer COBL to LAPOE personally as opener.

I do too - I think it works much better in the opening position than in the middle of a set, whereas LAPOE has its awesome segue into SBS.

I'd like to see ABOY open a show.

Axver said:

I do too - I think it works much better in the opening position than in the middle of a set, whereas LAPOE has its awesome segue into SBS.

I'd like to see ABOY open a show.

That could be a possibility for cities with multiple shows. Be cool to see Zoo Station open at least one show.

zoopop said:

That could be a possibility for cities with multiple shows. Be cool to see Zoo Station open at least one show.

Been thinking about that as well, Zoo Station and The Fly to open in New York 5 anyone..?

JulioArca said:

Been thinking about that as well, Zoo Station and The Fly to open in New York 5 anyone..?

If they did a ZooTV-esque setlist similar to that one Elevation show I'd go insane

Zoo Station
The Fly
EBTTRT
MW
One
Until the End...
Wild Horses
COBL
*back to rest of songs*

LemonMacPhisto said:

If they did a ZooTV-esque setlist similar to that one Elevation show I'd go insane

Zoo Station
The Fly
EBTTRT
MW
One
Until the End...
Wild Horses
COBL
*back to rest of songs*

Watch More TV!

I put my money on Vertigo opening again. Once the setlist been changed it usually stays that way. IMHO the closing Vertigo also works better when it also opened the show.

Muad'zin said:
I put my money on Vertigo opening again. Once the setlist been changed it usually stays that way. IMHO the closing Vertigo also works better when it also opened the show.
once again, the main reason we didnt see varying setlists in europe, was a very simple reason. there werent so many mulitple dates, so whats the point in changing a set that the band are happy playing, and 3/4 + of the crowd havent even seen that set?

Theedge070 said:

That's a stretch, I think it has to be a HTDAAB song to open the show.

U2 have opened with a song not from the current new album plenty of times.

(This list does not include the Boy Tour as they only had one album then)
War Tour: Gloria, Out Of Control
Under Australian Skies: Gloria, Out Of Control (though Wire opened one show)
The Unforgettable Fire: 11 O'clock Tick Tock, occasionally Gloria (though MLK opened one show)
The Joshua Tree: Sometimes opened with a cover of Stand By Me
Lovetown: Where The Streets Have No Name, Bullet The Blue Sky, In God's Country, cover of Stand By Me (though the new songs Hawkmoon 269 and God Part II opened ten shows total)
ZooTV: Sunday Bloody Sunday opened one show
ATYCLB Promo: Until The End Of The World opened the 7 February 2001 gig at the Astoria

They keep talking about how this tour has its share of nostalgia - well, come on U2, let's have the greatest opener of all time, Streets, return to its rightful position.

Open with Mofo!

Mofo
Love And Peace Or Else
Vertigo
I Will Follow

You have any idea how pumped up everyone would be if they opened a show with those four songs?

namkcur, add out of control too!! :wink: that would be cool... then MD, sometimes, still haven't found to have some rest... yeah, it would be great

well, in the 3rd leg I think they will open with COBL again

Back
Top Bottom