What songs will HTDAAB bump from the concert list?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton Brother

The Fly
Always fun to speculate.

Each additional album means that some songs will inevitably be dropped from the concert list. The Elevation tour saw, more or less, the same "core" rotation of songs. (knowing that they played A LOT different songs....)

We cannot speculate what HTDAAB songs will make the cut - but what "core group" of classic U2 will make the concert tour circuit? Which ones won't?

EASY GUESSES TO STAY/COME ON TOUR:

Vertigo
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Streets
Pride
One
WOWY
Sunday Bloody Sunday (song into a prayer back for good?)
I Will Follow/New Years Day/ Out of Control

UP IN THE AIR?:

Mysterious Ways
Kite
Electrical storm
ISHFWILF
UTEOTW
Bullet
Desire
Angel of Harlem
All I want is you
Gone
Wake up dead man
Stay
Bad
Staring at the sun
HTMKMKM

NIXED? (my guesses of what we won't hear)

The Fly
Stuck in a moment
Elevation
In a Little While
New York

What do think they WILL play, not what you WANT them to?

It's hard to say what they will keep and what will go. I do have the feeling that they may drop elevation, but I really hope they keep Stuck in Moment. This may be the year that they finnaly drop either UTEOTW/Bullet the Blue Sky. Also I hope they bring back Running to Stand Still

I think that it's a safe bet that from All That You Can't Leave Behind, Elevation, In A Little While, and New York will forever be left on the cutting room floor of the Elevation Tour. With that said, at least early on, I think that we'll still hear Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, and Walk On. Kite is a toss-up in my opinion.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Bullet The Blue Sky (after all, it hasn't stood the test of time...), Mysterious Ways, Gone, Staring At The Sun, and maybe even New Year's Day get pushed to the side; especially New Year's Day, that songs seems to regularly get overlooked early on in tours.

The Edge recently said that Electrical Storm will most likely make the cut and I really can't see them dropping Until The End Of The World, that song will probably fit the mold of the new album too well to lose it.

Throw in the "standards", a head-scratching choice or two, as well as five or six songs from the new record and there you go.

james

Last edited:
They'll continue to play all the "classics".

They'll drop most of ATYCLB to make room for the HTDAAB songs.

I'd suspect the only song from ATYCLB that will survive as a staple every night will be Beautiful Day.

I remember reading somewhere (maybe here??) that they would be mixing up the set-lists a lot from one show to the next this tour, so maybe nothing gets dropped and a few gems get dusted off and added??? Having said that maybe UTEOTW, BTBS, MW can be bannished in favour of some seldom played fan favorites??

Zoocoustic, i dont think they will drop all of ATYCLB, my gut says they will keep BD, Stuck in a Moment, Kite and Walk on, but not in the same set list for one night. I really think (and hope) that U2 does mix up their setlist each night and keep some of the songs on Dalton Brother's UP IN THE AIR? list.

I hope and pray that they won't cut Bad, All I Want is You, UTEOTW, Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment OR Mysterious Ways.

They could drop Bullet the Blue Sky, With or Without You, Angel of Harlem, Desire, Staring at the Sun, Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride and I'd be perfectly happy.

I would love to hear some of the older tunes dusted off. One in particular is "A Celebration". Considering its simplicity and straight-forwardness (is that even a word?), I think it would be perfect to hear that one live... also, it does have that line "... I believe in the atomic bomb..." Whaddaya think?

"A Celebration" would be an awesome song to hear. I think they will drop all songs from ATYCLB but BD, and Walk On. Hopefully they will drop most the iffy songs and play alot of material they havent played in ages( old songs, that werent singles)!

A Celebration would be nice, but even if it had been a popular single or live song, it wouldn't get played because it was cut from the set during the first leg of the War Tour, apparently because Edge forgot how to play it.

I think we can all agree that Beautiful Day will be a regular in the setlist for years to come. We can also all probably agree that not a lot from ATYCLB will make the cut. So what do I think? I think we'll see some rotation. Stuck will go into the acoustic set and rotate with songs such as Stay, Please, and Staring At The Sun. Such rotation allows them to include at least one song from Pop and Zooropa at some point, providing the representation the band would want. Elevation was a popular single in some parts of the world and really got the crowd going, but it may suffer the fate of 1990s openers and be cut forever. While I would like to see it cut, I can see it being performed on some occasions, perhaps together with Vertigo. Walk On ... depends if U2 want to present a positive message or not. An uplifting show wouldn't be the same without Walk On. I don't think U2 are going for that though and the song simply won't suit the sound, so it will be cut. Kite? I can see that being played, definitely. It's a song that seems to be special to Bono. The rest? Forget it. Well, maybe New York in New York, but otherwise, I doubt any of them will ever happen again. Had Wild Honey been played more, I would have picked it to stay in the acoustic set, but it was only performed eleven times so it's gone forever.

If U2 play RTSS, they will keep Bullet. Playing RTSS without Bullet would not feel right, or at least not to me. Then again, U2 like to change things up, so you never know. UTEOTW will DEFINITELY survive, I can't see New Year's Day being cut, and if U2 want to be political, Sunday Bloody Sunday is a certainty. They'd hopefully speed it up too. Electrical Storm will definitely be played - every other single ever released has been played live (besides the obvious current exception of Vertigo).

So after all that, what's going to get bumped? Well, bye bye WOWY. It was cut after three shows on the third leg of Elevation and considering how weak it sounds now, I don't think it's got much life left in it. It has to enter into rotation. In fact, I feel a lot of songs won't necessarily get fully removed, but simply enter into rotation. For example, there might not be room for both ISHFWILF and Desire, but they can be both kept through rotating them in the acoustic set.

The stories of two setlists are very exciting, because that means U2 can keep the classics while including new material. I suspect HTDAAB won't actually bump many classics from the setlist; it will instead force them into rotation. HTDAAB will mainly force out ATYCLB songs and possibly the Pop stragglers. That said, the band enjoy playing Gone so I think it will last (even if it's not a nightly regular), and although I have absolutely no evidence or reasons to support this, I'm tipping LNOE to return.

BD, Walk On, and Kite will survive... that's it probably. Most of POP will undoubtedly be off the roster. I can only pray that they don't do UTEOTW anymore... we have it on every friggin' live movie for cryin' out loud!:wink:

Some rarities would be cool, most notably Lady With the Spinning Head. That song has all the perfect elements of a live song. Also, with all the pressure Edge has been getting on here, I think they will play Acrobat, simply because we all put the idea into the back of his head.

Hopefully WOWY gets dropped too, b/c although I love it, it frankly is aweful on recent tours. If they could capture the power from Rattle and Hum it would be a different story.

Also, hopefully I Will Follow is booted for another old fave like Gloria or Two Hearts Beat As One.

Thank you

I really agree with you Axver on your point of songs being put in rotation. It is really hard to say what well be permenant, and what will be in the rotation. However I do disagree with you on your point on Walk On. When you said "I don't think U2 are going for (uplifting sound) and the song simply won't suit the sound, so it will be cut." I think that you are basing you opinion based only by the sound of Vertigo. Walk On will probably be the closing song on all U2 setlists in the future, you can bet on it.

Dalton Brother said:
Always fun to speculate.

Each additional album means that some songs will inevitably be dropped from the concert list. The Elevation tour saw, more or less, the same "core" rotation of songs. (knowing that they played A LOT different songs....)

We cannot speculate what HTDAAB songs will make the cut - but what "core group" of classic U2 will make the concert tour circuit? Which ones won't?

EASY GUESSES TO STAY/COME ON TOUR:

Vertigo
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Streets
Pride
One
WOWY
Sunday Bloody Sunday (song into a prayer back for good?)
I Will Follow/New Years Day/ Out of Control

UP IN THE AIR?:

Mysterious Ways
Kite
Electrical storm
ISHFWILF
UTEOTW
Bullet
Desire
Angel of Harlem
All I want is you
Gone
Wake up dead man
Stay
Bad
Staring at the sun
HTMKMKM

NIXED? (my guesses of what we won't hear)

The Fly
Stuck in a moment
Elevation
In a Little While
New York

What do think they WILL play, not what you WANT them to?

I doubt Gone will be cut, Bono has always said going out and playing that live is what U2 is all about! Besides, I love that song live it rocks!

nt2626 said:
However I do disagree with you on your point on Walk On. When you said "I don't think U2 are going for (uplifting sound) and the song simply won't suit the sound, so it will be cut." I think that you are basing you opinion based only by the sound of Vertigo. Walk On will probably be the closing song on all U2 setlists in the future, you can bet on it.

Hmm, I think you're a bit optimistic about Walk On's chances. 40 will definitely reappear as a closer at some point because it's simply such a classic closing song. Pattern doesn't really dictate a lot here - The Ocean closed a lot of pre-1983 shows, 40 closed almost all shows for the rest of the decade, Love Is Blindness closed ZooTV, Popmart had MAJOR rotation, and Walk On closed Elevation. Anything could happen really. Maybe I'm making my judgement too early, but I can't see Walk On closing this tour. At least not the final encore.

I don't think Elevation will be cut. Elevation - Beautiful Day is like the old 11 O'Clock Tick Tock - I Will Follow combo. Like that combo, I think Elevation-Beautiful Day will move to the encore.

Besides 7 new album songs per night, here's my guesses:

Every Night:

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
One
Where the Streets Have No Name
Electrical Storm
Hands that Built America

Every Other Night:

Bad or All I Want Is You
Stuck in a Moment OR Kite
Stay OR Staring at the Sun
Mysterious Ways OR Until the End of the World
Desire OR Angel of Harlem
With or Without You OR I Still Haven't Found
Pride OR New Years Day OR Sunday Bloody Sunday
I Will Follow OR Out of Control OR Gloria

While the new material is obviously going to get a ton of playtime, as it should, I'm also up for seeing some of the older material that should stay on the setlists at least for one more tour. I think the new material is even more important than the old, because they won't play half of it ever again.

I hope they continue to play "Kite" at least on a few dates. It's gotta be one of the top 3 ATYCLB songs, while "Stuck In A Moment..." never did it for me. I don't really care for "Sunday Bloody Sunday" that much either. Not to say I hate these songs, I just think they could fill their setlists with much better material this time around.

"Elevation" can go, although I don't mind if they keep it. I hope "Walk On", "Beautiful Day". "Bullet The Blue Sky", "Until The End Of The World", and "Electrical Storm" get some serious play time.

"Please" would be great to keep, although I doubt it will get played very often, either acoustic or full band would do it for me.

"Desire" is getting a little old by now, I'd rather they continue to alter their setlists night after night, and play it as rare as possible. It was never that great, and they have tons of better songs that could fill in for it.

Axver said:

Hmm, I think you're a bit optimistic about Walk On's chances. 40 will definitely reappear as a closer at some point because it's simply such a classic closing song. Pattern doesn't really dictate a lot here - The Ocean closed a lot of pre-1983 shows, 40 closed almost all shows for the rest of the decade, Love Is Blindness closed ZooTV, Popmart had MAJOR rotation, and Walk On closed Elevation. Anything could happen really. Maybe I'm making my judgement too early, but I can't see Walk On closing this tour. At least not the final encore.

Well i guess you are right that I am optimistic of the chances of Walk On being the closing song. But you never know, I could be wrong. I would love to see the transition between Love Is Blindness and Walk On at the end of each concert, but thats just me.

Songs to stay from last tour to this tour :

Streets
Beautiful Day
Bullet
One
Gone
Until The End of the World

To be dropped (appearing in some shows)
Mysterious Ways
The Fly
With or Without You
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Out of Control
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Elevation
I Will Follow
Desire
Stay
Wake Up Dead Man
Please

To be dropped altogether
Elevation
New York
In a Little While

Songs to be brought back from the vault (every night or alternating)
Seconds
God Part II
Exit
Staring At The Sun
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Running To Stand Still

Plus 5-7 HTDAAB songs and Electrical Storm with occassional Hands That Built America

New Stuff: Vertigo, Miracle Drug, Origin of the Species and 2 others

I definitely want them to play HMTMKMKM, 1 of my faves that they haven't played since PopMart

def Streets, With or Without You, Bad, UtEotW, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Out of Control, One, The Fly, Stay, Walk On, Beautiful Day, Angel of Harlem, All I Want is You

Maybe crank out a few things they haven't played in a while:
One Tree Hill (now most people think it was made for the WB show for god's sake), In God's Country, Running to Stand Still, The Unforgettable Fire, 40, Lemon, A Day Without Me, anything from Pop except Please

Songs that will b bumped: sadly The Fly and Mysterious Ways, possibly Pride (as much as i loved this song, it is wearing a bit thin), Desire, Stuck in a Moment, Wake Up Dead Man, New Year's Day, Bullet the Blue Sky

thatz wut i think, it probably duzn't work realistically tho

LemonMacPhisto said:
New Stuff: Vertigo, Miracle Drug, Origin of the Species and 2 others

Not a chance. That's only five songs. No U2 tour has ever had so few new songs. ZooTV had 9-10, Popmart 8, Elevation 7-or-so.

I dont think NY will be played in NY and Miami in Miami. that' not how U2 works.
for instance, they played about 17 shows in Ireland between 86 and 01, and "a sort of homecoming" showed up...twice.
they played Miami (the city) twice in 01 and didnt play Miami (the song).
only exceptions: One Tree Hill (NZ 03). spanish eyes (Barcelona 92 and 01).

Axver, you're killing me. WOWY is getting weak? You do have the Slane Castle DVD right? I'd put that version of WOWY in the top three of all time.

I would rather see In a Little While stick around than Stuck in a Moment, unless Stuck is done acoustically. And I'm probably in the minority on this, but I'd love to see more of ISHFWILF. In my mind, it's up there with One as a career-defining song for U2. The lyrics are practically the essence of Bono.

I'd love to see RTSS, OTH, Ultraviolet, and HMTMKMKM brought back into the mix for this tour.

Last edited:
john1800 said:
Axver, you're killing me. WOWY is getting weak? You do have the Slane Castle DVD right? I'd put that version of WOWY in the top three of all time.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Now just wait a minute. Slane WOWY is for sure one of the best versions in the last 10 years or so, but it's not even close to versions from 1987-1992. Now those versions were fantastic - the highlight of U2's music.
And I agree, although WOWY live versions 1987-1992 are my favorite performances by any band ever, I would skip WOWY on this tour. It's just starting to get weak. Without Shine Like Stars verse it's pointless. Just change it a bit!

gabriele1971 said:
I dont think NY will be played in NY and Miami in Miami. that' not how U2 works.
for instance, they played about 17 shows in Ireland between 86 and 01, and "a sort of homecoming" showed up...twice.
they played Miami (the city) twice in 01 and didnt play Miami (the song).
only exceptions: One Tree Hill (NZ 03). spanish eyes (Barcelona 92 and 01).

Very good points. The band themselves have said that One Tree Hill will always be played in NZ, Spanish Eyes has a fairly good chance of being played in Spain (though I was surprised it was omitted on Popmart), and Mothers Of The Disappeared will be played in South America. I feel Miami was not played in Miami on Elevation simply because it didn't fit. Can you imagine Miami in the Elevation set? I sure can't. New York, however, might fit into a New York set on the upcoming tour. Let's wait and see.

I also really hope they play ASOH in Ireland again.

With regards to WOWY ... djerdap said exactly what I wasgoing to say.

nt2626 said:
I really agree with you Axver on your point of songs being put in rotation. It is really hard to say what well be permenant, and what will be in the rotation. However I do disagree with you on your point on Walk On. When you said "I don't think U2 are going for (uplifting sound) and the song simply won't suit the sound, so it will be cut." I think that you are basing you opinion based only by the sound of Vertigo. Walk On will probably be the closing song on all U2 setlists in the future, you can bet on it.

If Walk On is played it will close the main set. There is absolutely no way it wil close the show. It was a song so closely tied to the last theme that U2 wants to push the envelope not become the rolling stones.

I think Beautiful Day is the only song from ATYCLB that's guaranteed to be played this tour. The rest are up for grabs. Walk On will probably survive, but won't be the closer. I'm guessing the closer will probably be Yahweh...with a slim chance of it being COBL.

Last edited:
I'm gonna make an albums list of songs that will probably make it on the next tour.

BOY:
I will follow
Out of control

October:
none

WAR:
Sunday bloody sunday
New years day
"40"
(I have a feeling that 2 hearts HAS to come back at some time, but I've had that feeling for years and it's never happened)

UNFORGETTABLE FIRE:
Pride
Bad
MLK (usually in snippet form)
Homecoming on rare occasions.
They will NOT PLAY THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE

JOSHUA TREE:
Streets
ISHFWILF (no acoustic version please. It always sucks that way)
WOWY (sometimes)
Bullet
Running to stand still (sometimes will follow Bullet)
In God's Country
Exit (if the rehearsal rumors are true)
One Tree Hill (In New Zealand)
Mothers (In South America)

RATTLE & HUM:
Desire (and yes, it'll still be the shitty half assed version)
Angel of Harlem
All I want is you

ACHTUNG BABY:
Real thing
One
UTEOTW (although the bullfight is getting trite)
Mysterious Ways
WGRYWH (rare acoustic appearance, or snippets)

ZOOROPA:
Stay

POP:
Discotheque (face it.... they love playing it)
SATS (I wish they'd do this full band)
Gone
Please
WUDM in it's usual incarnation

ATYCLB:
Beautiful Day (nightly)
SIAM (acoustic)
Elevation (To be rotated with something)
Walk on
Kite (To be rotated with something)

HTDAAB won't be the same as ATYCLB. Wild honey, Peace on earth, When I look at the world and Grace never got played live. I consider Peace on earth (live) to be a snippet. Wild honey was only done 11 times. HTDAAB, on the other hand, has 9 songs that will definately be played live alot, and "One Step Closer" will no doubtedly be in there somewhere. AMAAW won't be played.

Add or subtract from this list.

Yeah, I'll make one as well.

Pre Boy

Out Of Control(No Doubt)
Boy-Girl (No way in hell, but Boy-Girl/I'm A Believer does sound awesome)

Boy
I Will Follow(Come on. 25 years. This needs to go, it's getting old.)
A Day Without Me(This may have a minimal chance of getting in the set. I can see it now....Vertigo/A Day Without Me...:drool: )

October
Wouldn't mind anything from this.
A Celebration(The aforementioned atomic bomb lyrics and the drums!)

War
Sunday Bloody Sunday(Maybe.)
New Year's Day(Definetely.)
Like A Song...(It's got no chance, but it might work if they tried it once or twice)
Two Hearts ain't coming back, but I can see 40...AMAAW/40?

UF
Pride will go. So old. Bad will stay, however, and they might chuck MLK in on occasions.

JT

WTSHNN
WOWY(Nope, this is going.)
BTBS
RTSS(?)

R&H

Desire has to go, but Van Diemen's Land might be interesting...

AB

MW is staying.
UTEOTW is not.
Love Is Blindness might make a comeback, even if just for a few bars between WTSHNN and COBL...

Zooropa

Unfortunately, nothing from here.

Pop

Gone(?)

AYCTLB

Beautiful Day is still here....
Elevation? Nah.
I can see Kite going into Sometimes...

HTDAAB

Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Sometimes