Unimpressive Setlists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobH

The Fly
Anybody else not that thrilled with the setlists so far? I know you can't please everybody, but they just seem weird and a little 'uncohesive'. Maybe it's just me. I've got tix for fall Bay Area and I'm hoping they change things up quite a bit by then.

well if they continue to shuffle them around more it will seem even less cohesive, won't it?

I think they are certainly playing more to the casual fans, charging a lot for tickets, they gotta play the hits and the usuals. And the songs for us die-hards, are few and far between.

But if you are a big fan of Boy, you gotta be loving it. If they were playing 4 songs from Zooropa, I'd be loving it and others would be griping.

It's not the easiest thing for U2 to pick the songs to play, they aren't going to please everybody for sure. You probably want the same thing we all want, just add some songs for goodness sakes, play 'Pride' and 'SBS' for the 9 millionth time, I don't care, I get it, I know why you have to do it, just add new songs where the hit's and staples aren't.

U2DMfan said:
well if they continue to shuffle them around more it will seem even less cohesive, won't it?

I think they are certainly playing more to the casual fans, charging a lot for tickets, they gotta play the hits and the usuals. And the songs for us die-hards, are few and far between.

But if you are a big fan of Boy, you gotta be loving it. If they were playing 4 songs from Zooropa, I'd be loving it and others would be griping.

It's not the easiest thing for U2 to pick the songs to play, they aren't going to please everybody for sure. You probably want the same thing we all want, just add some songs for goodness sakes, play 'Pride' and 'SBS' for the 9 millionth time, I don't care, I get it, I know why you have to do it, just add new songs where the hit's and staples aren't.

good point. if they played Pop in its entirety, I would love every second of it, but others would be throwing a fit. just so happened they went back to boy. i shouldnt really complain though, as U2 is still U2 no matter what they play.

I don't think mixing it up would make it less cohesive, it's the flow of these current songs that doesn't work for me. Personally, I'd like to see a Grateful Dead/Bruce thing happen, where two back to back shows are never alike. I'd love to be completely surprised at what I was about to hear. Hits don't bother me--just not the same ones every night.

RobH said:
I'd love to be completely surprised at what I was about to hear.

Then don't look at setlists posted on websites.
Simple as that.
It was the same with Bruce (give or take a song). You knew more or less what he was playing. Then suddenly he pulled out a rarity and played that one for another dozen shows, not being a surprise anymore, etc.

Not sure how many Bruce shows you've been to, but quite often they are COMPLETELY different from one day to the next--NO songs the same. As far as not looking at the websites---that's missing the point. I could look at all the websites (or Relix magazine postings, since there really was no web back then) before a Dead show and still not know what they were going to play. I didn't have to put my hands over my ears and go "la-lal-la-la-la" before someone told me they just got back from a Dead or Bruce show. I KNEW my show would be different. I could name ten songs that U2 will definitely play tonight.

How this thread will progress:

"The setlists are unimpressive."
"What about this?"
"Still unimpressive."
"What about the variation?"
"U2 don't vary their sets."
"I AM SICK OF ALL THE WHINING!"
"Stop whining about the whining! It's constructive discussion!"
"Why don't you just enjoy the show?"
"Because the setlists are unimpressive."

And so on ...

Funny, I saw it progressing as a forum for would-be know-it-alls about U2.

Hey Axver,your lack of imcomprehension make me sick and you KNOW that.The people don't pay 150$ bucks to see U2 played the B-sides.

They pay the big price to see the bigs hits like WOWY,Walk On,UTEOTW.

This wouldn't be a discussion if U2 didn't have the nasty habit of dropping songs once they disappear from the big setlist. With other bands you know that songs not being played stand a good chance of returning on the next tour. This was not the case with U2. So I guess most of us are very protective when it comes to their favorites. When somebody says: 'I think they should drop A for B,' the first tendency is say STFU and go wash your mouth. Only since Elevation did we see that classics long forgotten do stand a chance of coming back.

I think there are plenty of songs played for the non "casual fans":

Yahweh
RTSS
ABOY
Miracle Drug
COBL
Love and Peace
Bullet
Electric Co
Zoo Station
ACD/ITH
The Ocean
Gloria
OOTS

That is half of the 28 songs that have been played.

Axver said:
"U2 don't vary their sets."

Shotty this one.

When you say 'Unimpressive Setlists', don't you mean 'unimpressive Setlist'? Considering they've been playing virtually the same setlist all tour.

Although I would be very, very happy with their last setlist.

crosby87 said:
Hey Axver,your lack of imcomprehension make me sick and you KNOW that.The people don't pay 150$ bucks to see U2 played the B-sides.

Have any b-sides actually been played...?

The problem isn't that they're playing too many mainstream songs, it's that they're playing the same ones too much. They could cycle them in. Maybe you won't hear "With or Without You" or "Pride" when you go, but you'll hear "New Year's Day" and "I Still Haven't Found..." And they could also cycle in non-single tracks and B-sides and such.

The lack of setlist variety is really the only problem with their live show. Okay, that, and Bono forgetting the lyrics.

the tourist said:

Have any b-sides actually been played...?

Boy/Girl, Touch, Things To Make And Do, Party Girl, Spanish Eyes, Silver And Gold, Slow Dancing, North And South Of The River, Holy Joe.

crosby87, you're a clueless know-nothing without a brain. At least stuff some dust in your head to give the impression of a brain, PLEASE.

crosby87 said:

Your loss that you only listen to The Best of 80-90/90-00 and ATYCLB. U2 released some other albums too you know? They are pretty good I heard!!!!! Happily the band knows that some fans are bored after hearing 1000 times wowy and they are trying not to become Rolling Stones 2.

Axver,you are a disgrace for this forum.The B-sides for me in this is Running to Stand Still,Mysterious Ways and Zoo Station.

Don't talk of my brain,the real problem is your brain who is already dead crap.

I don't know but did anyone else notice how little of the "hits" actually get played this tour?

Not certainly Axver,this guy is already too stupid to know that and is too boring to see that.

crosby87 said:
Axver,you are a disgrace for this forum.The B-sides for me in this is Running to Stand Still,Mysterious Ways and Zoo Station.

how fuckin dare you register for a forum and then call someone who has been here ALOT longer than you a disgrace? actually your the fuckin disgrace mate, "the real problem is your brain who is already dead crap"? speak english

Actually I just went and checked the b-sides on my Mysterious Ways single and funnily enough there was Mysterious Ways. This crosby fellow must be talking about the remixes. I'm very interested to hear how they pulled off the Solar Plexus Magic Hour on the tour. I'm still having trouble finding the RTSS and Zoo Station b-sides, but they must be in there somewhere.

"Bullet the Blue Sky" and "Running To Stand Still" were the B-sides to "In God's Country" (in North America) and "One Tree Hill" (in New Zealand), so, through no fault of his own, crosby87 got something right. Sort of.

Maybe there's an obscure promo out there with "Zoo Station" on the flipside.

crosby87 said:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Exhibit A: Interference poster with the mental agility of a glacier.

Have some physical agility and LEAVE. Interference does not welcome trolls.

U2girl said:
I don't know but did anyone else notice how little of the "hits" actually get played this tour?

If it weren't for the fact that they sound so good, I'd almost be prepared to argue that they could still cut a few.

Then again, I'm an eighties fan who is not expecting his perfect setlist to be played any time soon.

The real problem of the setlist is the second part of the show.They finish with ABOY,Yahweh and 40.You cut The Fly and Mysterious Ways by Walk On and Wowy.They should cut Running to Stand Still and 40.

The final song should be Crumb From Your Table.

And you assclown Axver,you don't have any idea of what I'm talking right now big zero.

crosby87 said:

..I know it's not my place, especially because I don't post that much, but isn't this kind of behavior considered trolling? :eyebrow:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom