Uber Long Anaheim 4/2 Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Partyslammer

War Child
Setlist:
01.Love And Peace Or Else
02. Vertigo (with "Storys for boys" verse)
03. Elevation
04. Electric Co. (with "I Can see for miles" verse )
05. An Cat Dubh
06. Into The Heart
07. City Of Blinding Lights
08. Beautiful Day (with "Blackbird" verse)
09. Miracle Drug
10. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
11. New Year's Day
12. Sunday Bloody Sunday
13. Bullet The Blue Sky (with Hands that built America verse)
14. Running To Stand Still
02. (Human Rights Video – much shorter than SD)
15. Zoo Station
16. The Fly
17. Mysterious Ways
(encore)
18. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
19. Where The Streets Have No Name
20. One
(encore)
21. All Because Of You
22. Yahweh
23. 40

A little background about getting the tickets. I hadn’t planned on seeing more than the San Diego 3/28 and Staples 4/6 show but after San Diego’s really good show and seeing they’re mixing up the sets fairly well, I decided on a whim to get tickets for tonight’s show at The Pond around Thursday. A few eBay GA auctions were out of my range and agencies were still asking very high prices. After losing a “Buy It Now” auction for a pair as I was paying for it, I gave up and not more than 5 minutes later the phone rings and one ticket broker had decided to sell at my price and me and my friend were in for tonight.

We got to the Pond about 7:00pm and I had worked out a plan to possibly increase our chances to get in the Ellipse. Basically, we’d space about 5-7 people between us as we went in figuring the odds of one of us getting lucky would be a bit better as it seems one in about 12 – 15 people on average get lucky on the laptop ticket scan to get in the Ellipse. Turned out there was no line to get as they must have quickly let in and moved whoever had been waiting in the line when the doors first opened. Compared to San Diego when it took almost 45 minutes to get in at about the same arrival time, this was a pleasant surprise. So my buddy went in first and I kind of hung outside the entrance “fiddling” with a pair of binoculars I thought we’d need standing outside the ellipse. Well, Bingo!. My buddy got “Vertigo” on the laptop screen when the scenned his ticket and he frantically waved at me to haul ass inside as a small group of people who were hanging out looking for a single GA Ellipse winner to get them in were virtually begging him with money and so on to pick one of them to get in with him.

So we both get out Ellipse wristbands and casually made our way to the floor and inside the Ellipse barricade and staked out a spot directly in front of The Edge’s mic stand and monitors. At this point, I have to say unless you absolutely must be right in front of Bono’s spot leaning on the rail at center stage either inside the Ellipse or outside the tip of it, there’s simply no reason to get to the show any earlier then a couple hours. People were very slowly streaming in and getting positions only 2-3 people back from the stage as late as 8:30, only 15 minutes before showtime. It seemed right as the lights went out for the show to start, the Ellipse filled up very quickly but there was never a crush up front at any time throughout the show and it was probably the most comfortable time I’ve ever spent at a concert where I was basically within an arm’s reach of the band.

The long wait before U2 came on was frankly not helped with opening band “Kings of Leon’s” really boring set. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a band with less charisma on stage than these guys. At times, the arena was so quite, it could have been the band playing in a garage to a couple friends.

The show started with “Love and Peace or Else,” and while it seemed to be a bit better opener than “City of Blinding Lights,” I still feel it’s not a good choice if the band is looking for a song off the new album to open most shows. “Vertigo” however is a perfect choice to play in the 2nd spot (or even open the show – hint, hint) and the show took off from there for several songs until things slowed down for “An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart” which works a lot better a few songs deeper in the set than were it was played before. Unfortunately, despite the fact that it again was absolutely nailed by the band, it just doesn’t grab the audience and I’m going to say it’ll probably be dropped after a few more shows or at least show up more infrequently.

Bono pulled a young girl about 8 years old out of the Ellipse on Adam’s side and walked her completely around the ramp as she sweetly waved to the crowd during “City of Blinding Lights.” Bono than told a funny story about meeting The Pope and giving him his “Fly” sunglasses while The Pope gave him a rosary which he hung on his mix stand for the rest of the show which then led into a strong version of “Miracle Drug” and “Sometimes~”

Up ‘til now, the band seemed to be playing well and the show flowing smoothly but it lacked a bit of “Oomph,” due imo, to the somewhat lackluster audience. However, when U2 kicked into what I’d say is one of the all time best performances of what I consider to be a burned out song, “New Years Day,” the whole arena came to life and the show finally seemed to kick into a higher gear which lasted right through the thankfully shortened “Human Right’s Video” and through the “Achtung Baby” trio of songs.

The show wound down with “40” which Bono botched the beginning of by completely forgetting the lyrics and spending a minute getting them from The Edge as he and the band vamped through the beginning of the song ‘til Bono got it together. As a measure of how lackluster the audience was, there was no continued singing of the “How long to sing this song” chorus after Larry left the stage, just some cheers than the house lights came on.

Overall, I’d say tonight was a bit stronger than the opening night show I saw. The band’s playing was universally solid. Rather comically, I saw the same group of songs with the exception of Mysterious Ways tonight, even if the running order was different. The only major gaffs I noticed was Bono screwing up the lyrics at the beginning of Bullet the Blue Sky and 40. His voice was fairly strong through the show.

Songwise, I still think Elevation needs to go, I just do not like the semi-stripped own version they're playing this tour although it works a lot better placed earlier in the set. As I mentioned, NYD as well as SBS were both among the top performances of both songs I’ve seen in decades. “The Fly” is also thankfully starting to come together better mostly because The Edge is just nailing that song consistently and stretching his playing within the song instead of seemingly struggling to master it every night like he was on the last tour. I also think it’s been mentioned but it needs repeating that The Edge is really playing well so far this tour.

Which leads to what it was like watching the entire show about 5 feet from The Edge’s spot on stage. It’s really a completely different experience than being on the floor 50 or more feet away from the stage or up in the loges or nosebleed seats. First and most noticeable is it becomes an almost clublike, intimate atmosphere as you aren’t really aware of the audience at large except when all the house lights are on, just the people directly around you.

The sound mix is a bit different from being outside the Ellipse or in the loges which is really where the PA mixer is trying to get the best sound for. Bono’s voice is a bit harder to make out and Larry’s drums at times had a boomy “slapback” to them from echoing around the arena. But being right in front of The Edge’s amp setup, you get a bit more guitar and it’s easier to make out the nuances of his playing. It was pretty cool watching him just zone out and play large chunks of songs eyes closed, deep in concentration.

There were a few instances were I could see a couple of them knowing they’d played a part of a song exceptionally well or nailed a solo and give each other a glance and a smile. Adam seemed continually bemused by Bono’s hammy acting as he sang or when he blew a lyric. Even Larry, who seems a bit too serious most of the time, cracked a few huge smiles like when Bono came over and stood over his drum kit and remarked “this is what it’s like from Larry eyes.” Stuff you just don't get when seeing the overall "show" futher back from the stage where you can take it all in.

If I was to hear all 4 shows played so far this tour, I’d probably rate this one 4th mostly bacause it was a bit too familiar from the 1st show's set. However, as a live concert experience, tonight will be hard to beat.

T.B.

thanks for the review, look forward to hearing NYD and SBS on the bootleg.

Agree with edge, the man is one fire :up:

bono_man2002 said:

You'll want to hear the fly back, not only did bono get almost the song perfect tonight, Edge went off! :rockon:

whhaa whaa whatt? Bono got the lyrics right? :wink:

when you guys say the crowd was lackluster, do you mean "Boston DVD" lackluster? That would suck :wink:

Long set

I noticed this 4th show went on for about 2hours, or even 2:10- ten to twenty minutes longer than the first 3. They hit the stage at a bit after 8:45pm.

Any speculation on why the longer set, or why my watch was off?

Not quite as sharp as night 1 of the Pond, mostly due to the order of the set. I consider myself blessed to have experienced both shows though. They have a remarkable ability to keep things fresh, and emotionally move a crowd. Both people that came with me had prior, they didn't care for them that much, but are now "converts" to their amazing live performances.

For the Inner Elipse entry deal..

On the San Diego opening nite show, I saw no laptop nor never directed to one to be scanned! We were just scanned by the regular security person for entry.

Grrrrrrrrrrr

:mad:

RademR said:
when you guys say the crowd was lackluster, do you mean "Boston DVD" lackluster? That would suck :wink:

I was at the Boston show in which the majority of the DVD was filmed at and let me say, the crowd was ballistic all night. I have the DVD and you are right, the crowd does seem lame but trust me, Boston LOVES U2 and the crowd noise was deafening. Its all in the mixing, know what I mean?

wasn't that Boston night the night that the whole young-audience-wanted-for-taping-screw-the-people-that-waited-in-the-GA-Line fiasco happened, though?

UnforgettableLemon said:
wasn't that Boston night the night that the whole young-audience-wanted-for-taping-screw-the-people-that-waited-in-the-GA-Line fiasco happened, though?

Yes. Late in the afternon for the second night being filmed, some security people from the film crew or U2's organization depending on who you hear the story from went through the GA line that had been growing all day and pulled so called "good looking fans" from the line, inlcuding many in the rear of the line and let them in the arena early, gave them U2 t shirts and let them pick prime spots inside the Heart well before the rest of the people were let in.

Some people who had been waiting since the night before who got shut out including grown men were crying about this and hastily came up with a "protest" in which they'd have their backs to the band during the show and form a group and sit down during "One" thus making a "hole" in the Heart to protest people being let in before them.

At one point in the middle of the show, I think during the acoustic set, you can see Larry gesture or shake is head in disgust at some whiner fans as he walks back to the stage from the tip of the Heart and supposedly this was why "One" was cut from the dvd although the film crew and some skillfull editing managed to hide any visual issues with the couple dozen fan's protest.

T.B.

dalfan said:
For the Inner Elipse entry deal..

On the San Diego opening nite show, I saw no laptop nor never directed to one to be scanned! We were just scanned by the regular security person for entry.

Grrrrrrrrrrr

I don't know how you could miss it. There was only one long, very slow moving line for GA entry and they had the guy with the laptop sitting at a table on the right side as you entered the building. I hung out and watched the process for about 15 minutes after I got in and it seems like it goes on right up until when the show starts.

T.B.

Dunno either...

I was scanned in right about when KOL were on (thanks to soldout parking by 7:00p and security just blocking the entrances and offering no alteranative parking info; wrong information that GA tickets get in to ANY entrance v. just the north entrance only; the no allowance of getting to the north entrance from the eastern side of the building, where I had already been waiting nearly 20 minutes to get in at and had rewalk the entire building back where I orginally had entered from to begin with and enter from the western side). Maybe by then they had exhausted what they were giving out. Plus since opening nite there were TONS of photographers in the inner elipse maybe they had .

But odd when I got to the floor it was just a 1/4 full.

Again I saw no such laptop, a person with a laptop or some offering us to be directed to such a person with a laptop...

Sad.

Partyslammer said:
. The only major gaffs I noticed was Bono screwing up the lyrics at the beginning of Bullet the Blue Sky

yeah that screwed me up too ... i thought it was me who forgot the words ... :)

TheBrazilianFly said:
Hey that was a great review Partyslammer why don't you go to this site u2tours.com and post your review there too. It's the best site for that! :up:

I'm gonna wait until I see 4/6 in LA and than forward refined reviews for all three shows to that site for each show I caught in SoCal. I really like their format and posted similar reviews for the 6 Southern CA shows I saw in 2001.

Last tour, they were pretty much the only game in town as far as posting reviews for shows so it was a bit easier for me back then, but this tour it's like half a dozen sites and each time I post a review, I think of something else about the show or catch a gaff in something I mention.

T.B.

So...
They played TWO encores this time - to make up for the previous night's "no" encores (?) - lol

just wondering

-rev

Back
Top Bottom