The «Crumbs Mystery»...???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mynthor

The Fly
I know the question has been discussed many times on this forum, but I wanted to ask other people's opinion or information on the reason why U2 has not yet played «Crumbs From Your Table» on the Vertigo tour :shrug: .

Actually, like many people agree with me, Crumbs is one of the best (if not the best :rolleyes: ). So, to me, three reasons are possible:

1- U2 have some difficulties to play this song live...
2- U2 want to keep this song to play it on a special occasion...
3- U2 doesn't like this song...

If anyone has some information concerning the missing of Crumbs in Vertigo's setlist or want to give his opinion just reply on this thread!!!

i think bono described crumbs as the most important song they've ever written

and if a band doesnt like a song why bother and record it:eyebrow:

anyways i just think U2 wants it to sound perfect before they perform it

Crumbs may be too good of a song to perform, in fear that they might ruin it. Sounds insane, but could be true.

I think there could be other reasons.
1) They don't know where in the set to place it, or what song to drop for it.
2) The don't have a good light/screen show to go with it.
3) They want to save it for later in the tour, 3rd leg, australia or Europe/SA.

Mynthor said:
I know the question has been discussed many times on this forum, but I wanted to ask other people's opinion or information on the reason why U2 has not yet played «Crumbs From Your Table» on the Vertigo tour :shrug: .

Actually, like many people agree with me, Crumbs is one of the best (if not the best :rolleyes: ). So, to me, three reasons are possible:

1- U2 have some difficulties to play this song live...
2- U2 want to keep this song to play it on a special occasion...
3- U2 doesn't like this song...

If anyone has some information concerning the missing of Crumbs in Vertigo's setlist or want to give his opinion just reply on this thread!!!

I love the way that because you're from Montreal you use the French < > instead of the English " ", even though you speak English.

Well, I don't think it will be played, and I never really thought it would.

They might bring it out for the third leg, as they did with One Tree Hill in 1987... but modern U2 is a bit more set in its ways. I think they clearly like the set the way it runs now, and in the midst of a tour they don't seem to do much tinkering.

The obvious placement would be after Running (or Miss Sarajevo) and before Pride. But the fact that they haven't done it yet, after more than four months of shows on two legs, tells me something.

Nisse said:
I think there could be other reasons.
1) They don't know where in the set to place it, or what song to drop for it.
3) They want to save it for later in the tour, 3rd leg, australia or Europe/SA.

I think number 1 is the primary reason currently. #3 could be correct also, but its not for the saving reason specifically. I dont think they have a spot in the Euro setlist pattern where they think it would work properly. I also think they may feel it may not work in a stadium setting as effectively. I think you may see it appear on the third leg on one of the long multiple night stands in NY or Boston when they do a setlist shake up.

It may be like Peace on Earth, they could feel it is a little too strident or preachy?

I don't, but maybe they are worried that people will take it that way?

Just take out Pride and plug in Crumbs.

Crumbs>>Streets would be amazing.

I really think they'll play it on the 3rd leg. It has to be played sometime on the tour.

U2Man said:
I don't think they are satisfied with the way it sounds yet.

Yeah...that might be the reason...But I hope they'll be satisfied on the 3rd leg since I got a ticket to the Montreal show!!!:wink:

In "Bono on Bono" there is a short note about when recording Crumbs and everything goes wrong and everyone involved is bored and annoyed. Bono's comment is: .We only found out that the songs weren't working when played infront of an audience.

Maybe that's a reason... Some songs might be brilliant but won't just work out in the open space infront of thousands of people.

have you all listened to the Crumbs sound check in the audio section???? IT BLOODY GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! it's a good indication that it'll go OFF live! They will play it soon - it'll be in the set list of the 3rd leg for sure!

There could be another reason why we haven't seen it:

It's difficult for Bono to sing.

It doesn't sound like it would be hard to me, but you never know.
I think we'll see it on the 3rd leg.

-Nick

bazza said:
have you all listened to the Crumbs sound check in the audio section???? IT BLOODY GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! it's a good indication that it'll go OFF live! They will play it soon - it'll be in the set list of the 3rd leg for sure!

I hope you're right!!!!

If they can't figure it out after all this time...I mean come on. A band should be able to I don't know, learn it's own songs.
I'm really starting to wonder lately.
This tour has been pretty broing.
There is no news.
I log onto the sites every day and there is nothing.
No exciting soundbites, no info, no singles and b-sides.
No concert highlights.
Its the same show every night.
God I can't believe I've become the guys I used to flame on this site.
I just think this tour has been boring.

Iskra said:
If they can't figure it out after all this time...I mean come on. A band should be able to I don't know, learn it's own songs.
I'm really starting to wonder lately.
This tour has been pretty broing.
There is no news.
I log onto the sites every day and there is nothing.
No exciting soundbites, no info, no singles and b-sides.
No concert highlights.
Its the same show every night.
God I can't believe I've become the guys I used to flame on this site.
I just think this tour has been boring.

It's cause U2 have spending their days off flying to their little French getaway, or home to Dublin. Rather than working on the show or learning new songs. It's like they hop on their jet, stroll on the stage like any other old day at the office, and then strut offstage, hop on their jet, and back to their holiday they go.

theu2fly said:
Crumbs may be too good of a song to perform, in fear that they might ruin it. Sounds insane, but could be true.

That's what happened to Drowning Man.

I do think Bono very much wants to play this song and it would work extremely well in the live arena. Maybe they simply feel they have enough politics songs as it is, though?

I'm wondering if we'll see it appear in the third leg simply because the sets may change. COBL/LAPOE will probably be back to opening, and if OOTS is a single, they'll certainly perform it, so they'll need to create a setlist space for it somewhere. Those kinds of alterations could open up a spot for Crumbs - i.e. if LAPOE opens, Crumbs could begin the political segment before SBS.

Axver said:

That's what happened to Drowning Man.

I do think Bono very much wants to play this song and it would work extremely well in the live arena. Maybe they simply feel they have enough politics songs as it is, though?

I'm wondering if we'll see it appear in the third leg simply because the sets may change. COBL/LAPOE will probably be back to opening, and if OOTS is a single, they'll certainly perform it, so they'll need to create a setlist space for it somewhere. Those kinds of alterations could open up a spot for Crumbs - i.e. if LAPOE opens, Crumbs could begin the political segment before SBS.

Interresting suggestion. makes sense to me!

At any rate, if they aren't opening and closing with Vertigo, that gives us an extra slot in there somewhere!

Iskra said:

It's not a matter of "learning" their own songs, it's a matter of figuring out how to do it live. These are sometimes two entirely different things. The studio and the stage are two entirely different things.

The_acrobat said:

It's cause U2 have spending their days off flying to their little French getaway, or home to Dublin. Rather than working on the show or learning new songs. It's like they hop on their jet, stroll on the stage like any other old day at the office, and then strut offstage, hop on their jet, and back to their holiday they go.

Yeah they should be just getting drunk and chasing women around time like most bands do on their days off. You can't honestly think most bands work on their show on their days off?!

I realize that most bands don't work on their show on the days off. My point was that they just treat it as another day at the office,and when the show is over they punch out and get back to their recreation.

Not hard to sing - i sing it all the time in friggen shower... piece of cake for bono the man!

If Bono can sing Bad, SYCMIOYO, Vertigo, he can sing Crumbs.

And the soundcheck recording proves the band can play it very well.

3rd leg- it will be played.

I think maybe they have the same problem like they had in 1987 with Red hill mining disaster. The song was to difficult to perform. That was the reason that one wasn't put out as a single.

Back
Top Bottom