MERGED --> Major spoiler alert - opening night setlist preview from @U2 blog.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just realized how great Electric Co. is going to be. I just had to put on Under A Blood Red Sky, and hear Bono scream "I can't see why and what FOR!"

Man this is gonna be good.

Chizip said:
i hate when people say u2 fans are whiny

u2 fans are diverse

there are so many fans with different tastes that no matter what they do, some will love it, and some would prefer if they would have gone in a different direction

its inevitable with a fan base as big as theirs

and just because someone would prefer if there were a couple other songs they want to hear, it doesnt mean they wont enjoy the hell out of the show no matter what they play...

stop whinning

I just want to hear the Billboard hits, damn it!!!!

#1 With Or Without You
#1 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
#3 Desire
#9 Mysterious Ways
#10 One
#10 Discotheque

#13 Where The Streets Have No Name
#14 Angel of Harlem
#16 Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

#21 Beautiful Day
#26 Staring At The Sun

#31 Vertigo
#32 Even Better Than The Real Thing
#33 Pride (In The Name Of Love)
#35 Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

#44 In God's Country

#52 Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
#53 New Year's Day
#57 Last Night On Earth

#61 The Fly
#61 Stay (Faraway, So Close)
#63 Sweetest Thing
#68 When Love Comes To Town

#81 I Will Follow
#83 All I Want Is You

And because "Discotheque" is their sixth biggest hit, I expect it to be played the sixth most times of any song on the tour. Otherwise, I will surely be bitching in the Zootopia forums. :mad:

I could see Boy songs, not just because of the whole "25th anniversary" thing but the Vancouver rehearsals said that. (I'd trust them over Mexico)

Though those songs and Gloria...Bono must be feeling lucky about his voice :D

Still, it's odd to see those 8 regulars I mentioned on page 1 missing - I could also imagine them playing more 90's songs than just Zoo station and The fly. (remember how many popped up on the last tour?) And my prediction for ATYCLB songs is Beautiful day, Stuck, New York and Kite.

We will know more after the dress rehearsal, definitely. So far, Running to stand still :hyper: The fly :rockon: Zoo station :ohmy:

Last edited:
I actually like the ZOOTV version of "Running To Stand Still" better. The ZOOTV sequence of "Bullet The Blue Sky", "Running.." leading into "Where The Streets Have No Name" was brilliant.

Seriously, EVERY version of RTSS that I have heard is amazing. Don't expect a tried and tested performance this time around. I'm expecting some new takes on these songs that are being raised from the dead.

I dont know if you have seen this on u2.com

Three days to go...

The band are in the final stages of rehearsals before the opening of the tour on Monday.

With just three days to go before nine months of shows, U2 are in Los Angeles putting the final touches to 'Vertigo 2005'

Last night they ran through one possible set list, with an alternative version expected tonight, Friday.

On Saturday evening a small number of fans who have won local radio station competitions will get to hear some of the new material.

Both Gavin Friday, longtime friend of the band, and Steve Lillywhite, producer of 'How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb', are working with U2 on final preparations.

The U2.Com team have just arrived and will be posting regular stories and pictures as the tour opens. Watch this space. We don't want to spoil the surprise by revealing what's in store - let's just say, we were knocked out!

http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=1455

As you can see it says a possible set list, we should wait until later tonight when some people from the rehearsal report what happened. I am sure that the list they will play tonight is going to be the same they play on monday.

With all due respect I don't think even U2 knows for certain at this point (March 26, 12:20 E.S.T.) what their setlist will be opening night.

Axver said:

UTEOTW has been played at every show since 1992.

for a self-proclaimed u2 setlist know-it-all, i'm surprised you got this wrong.

check one of the chicago nights during the elevation tour.

i happen to know a few things too. :shh:

Zoomerang96 said:

for a self-proclaimed u2 setlist know-it-all, i'm surprised you got this wrong.

check one of the chicago nights during the elevation tour.

i happen to know a few things too. :shh:

It wasn't played at Irving Plaza or Fulton Ferry State park either.

opening night setlist

If that setlist is even remotely accurate, it is hell of a lot more exciting than the usual setlists we've come to expect. Pride, New Years Day and With or Without you are dead songs live now, With or Without you has been little more than a mediocre run through on the last couple of tours. They have been great live tracks in their time but it's about time they spiced things up. The Fly was superb on the last tour, and An Cath Dubh is a great track.

By 'That setlist' I mean the one off the major spoiler thingy by the way, not the fan who wanted to hear the billboard hits.

We need Kite and With or Without you for sure and New Year's Day would be nice too. I'd like to hear Crumbs but haven't heard much about it being played so far...

andyuk said:
i would very dissapointed with this setlist! into the heart? this has to be one if U2's worst ever tracks! i think they should play more of the current album like crumbs. orginal etc and where the hell are the classic live songs? UTEOTW, WOWY, BAD, NEW YEARS DAY? i hope they change before they hit europe!

This set list kicks ass. It's got a ton of songs U2 hasn't played in over a decade.
However, it's important to remember that for every hardcore nut like me there are twenty fans like andyuk. Big U2 fans who were raised on the classic radio tracks. And that's what they want to hear.

I think that setlist is almost too good to be true. The Fly was superb on the last tour, Zoo Station, An Cath Dubh and Electric Co are forgotton gems, and surely even the band can't bring themselves to listen to Pride and With or Without You anymore. It's about time they stopped playing it so safe.

And Into the Heart is part of a great segue sequence from An Cath Dubh which in itself is a cracking song. It wouldn't be the same without Into the Heart.

has this been posted yet?

SPOILER: Friday night's rehearsal setlist
And as expected, they're still messing with portions of the show. That's a good sign - variety is the spice of life, and all that. Here's what two sources list was Friday night's rehearsal.

(spoiler coming soon)

Okay.

City of Blinding Lights
The Electric Co.
An Cat Dubh
Into the Heart
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
Elevation
Stuck in a Moment...
Yahweh

(here's where it starts to change)

Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Zoo Station
The Fly
Vertigo
Where the Streets Have No Name
One
Gloria
All Because of You

I don't know if anyone else said this yet, but I doubt if this is the complete list because I read a brief interview with Paul McGuiness saying that everyone should prepare for an unbelievable segway from WOWY into Streets that will be the highlight of the show. I'll try to find it, I think it might have been at www.atu2.com but I may be mistaken.

Looking at that list of songs..........I think they're working on their rustiest material...."Pride" "Bad" "UTEOTW"........they have all of those songs down pat........and "Walk On" isn't anything challenging either........same for "NYD" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday".........the recent rehearsals are simply the band working on the stuff that needs the most attention, that's all.

"Streets" is being practiced because of the lights and junk..........."One" is being rehearsed because they are trying out the cell phone thingy........."Elevation" is being rehearsed because it can be a tricky one to get working........"Beautiful Day" probably has some highly technical aspect to it as well......

So other than a few classics being utilized for technical reasons, the band is mostly working on newer material or older material that they haven't played very much.......the fact that they keep rehearsing "Gloria" and other long lost favorites shows that they are committed to playing these tunes.........however, the setlists we are seeing are REHEARSALS of songs in need of being rehearsed, rather than an actual set list.....

Last edited:
mikal said:
Beautiful Day
Stuck in a Moment...
The Fly
Vertigo
One

Only SIX of the 25 Billboard hits? Ugh, as if I want to hear "fan favorites" :wink:

We will here Out of Control and/or I Will Follow too....they don't need to work on these as much.

Also, we won't here Electric Co., Gloria, An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart all in one night...I think they'll rotate 2 per show.
Substitute a NYD, IWF, OOC, Bad, Pride, UTEOTW, Walk On..etc. into these two slots.

BigMacPhisto said:
Looking at that list of songs..........I think they're working on their rustiest material...."Pride" "Bad" "UTEOTW"........they have all of those songs down pat........and "Walk On" isn't anything challenging either........same for "NYD" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday".........the recent rehearsals are simply the band working on the stuff that needs the most attention, that's all.

"Streets" is being practiced because of the lights and junk..........."One" is being rehearsed because they are trying out the cell phone thingy........."Elevation" is being rehearsed because it can be a tricky one to get working........"Beautiful Day" probably has some highly technical aspect to it as well......

So other than a few classics being utilized for technical reasons, the band is mostly working on newer material or older material that they haven't played very much.......the fact that they keep rehearsing "Gloria" and other long lost favorites shows that they are committed to playing these tunes.........however, the setlists we are seeing are REHEARSALS of songs in need of being rehearsed, rather than an actual set list.....

That's what I think too. I would be VERY surprised if this list ends up being a set-list for a show. It's just too obscure. There is a way to mix up old gems and staples to please everyone and have a dynamic show. This list has so few hits I can barely believe they would play a show like that...

Although I (and other hard-core fans) would be having the time of my life with such a set-list, I really think they would loose more than half the crowd, and that wouldn't make for such a great show.

MrBrau1 said:

It wasn't played at Irving Plaza or Fulton Ferry State park either.

But those aren't full tour concerts. I meant full ZooTV, Popmart, or Elevation shows. And I guess I managed to overlook one.

God I hope they really have retired both Bullet and Pride. What a treat.

Great setlist - has awesome potential in cities with multiple shows. Especially places that are getting 4 shows or more - :drool: .

I'd love it if they started playing stuff like Exit and Hawkmoon again, they were U2 at their best live but stuff like Pride becomes so Juke boxy live. It's too easy to just wheel that out to satisfy the masses which is why it's so exciting that they are POTENTIALLY going to start playing some stuff they haven't played in ages. Won't believe it till I see it though.

just because something has been played a lot in the past doesn't mean that it's not worth playing this time around. i, for one, will be psyched if pride works it's way in there. :)

mikal said:
has this been posted yet?

SPOILER: Friday night's rehearsal setlist
And as expected, they're still messing with portions of the show. That's a good sign - variety is the spice of life, and all that. Here's what two sources list was Friday night's rehearsal.

(spoiler coming soon)

Okay.

City of Blinding Lights
The Electric Co.
An Cat Dubh
Into the Heart
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
Elevation
Stuck in a Moment...
Yahweh

(here's where it starts to change)

Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Zoo Station
The Fly
Vertigo
One
Gloria
All Because of You

The only change here (other than running order) was that Sunday Bloody Sunday was dropped for Bullet. As far as this single change goes, I love it!!! :up:

Back
Top Bottom