MERGED->A bunch of threads about Vertigo being played twice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jochen

Babyface
Worst U2 show ever / Vertigo is shit???

What do you think?
Was Brussel really a good show?
I don´t think so. I have been seeing them from 1992 on and Brussel was the worst show ever.
It was a boring greatest hits show with just a few nearly highlights.
Why to play Vertigo two times. It it was a one-timer it would be funny. But not 10 times on the tour until now. Crap.
Why dropping off "An Cat Dubh", "The Ocean"? Why playing only crowd pleasers. Yes, we are in stadiums, but why can´t they play something rare aund suprising. Have a a look at Springsteen. He played at over 120 Rising shows over 130 diffenrt song.
On he solo tour (I know it is easier) he played after 15 shows 54 diffenrent songs.
An the four irishmen? After the first Vertigo Leg we got 31 songs? What´s that?
No, this tour is no good tour. Where is the spirit of Elevation? Lost in the idea of building the biggest stagest and beeing the biggest band ever.
But you can not be the biggest band with such a setlist. No way.
An U2, please use the day off to think abut the setlist. But they had 2 or 3 month to thing about it. And besides of 2 or 3 shows the whole tour is boring. And the promise by Bono to change the setlists a lot is means, they play 20+ songs out of 30 songs and play them in another order.
Everyone has to build up his own opinion about this shows, but mine is that. Sure, it is my fault to go to 20+ shows, but there a lots of people seeing more than 1 show. And the band has to play rarities for them and not only a Greatest Hits show.
If I want that, I listen to the Greatest Hits CDs and clap my hands during the shows. That has the same spirit as an Vertigo Show.

Last edited:
This is a stadium tour. Like nearly all bands in their position they'll cater for the majority of the crowd not a couple of hundred die-hards who only want obscure stuff. If you're going to multiple shows be thankfull that they are changing their setlists around, some bands don't at all. If you don't like U2s greatest hits then stay away and go follow Bruce Springsteen (his is a solo tour - it's much, much easier to play whatever he feels like on the day). Simple really.

As I wrote in my mail, it is easier on a solo tour. Nothing new what you are saying.
But not only Springsteen does the setlist changing. So do R.E.M., Neil Young, Jackson Browne, The Stones and others.
Also in Stadiums. There must be sapce for one or two different songs each night. Im am really sure. If only U2 wanted to do.

I don't disagree in as much as I'd love to see the setlist changed around more.But of the artists you mentioned, REM, Neil Young and Springsteen aren't tied in with the sort of visuals that U2 are using on this tour. These will hamper spontaneity which is, I guess, the price to be paid for such an impressive stage set. The Stones don't vary their setlists much, other than when they're switching from a stadium to a club etc. But all bands are different. Last year the Canadian band Rush did a world tour playing for 3+ hours a night. Not once did they add a new song or vary the list in any way. Phil Collins is the same - he's said he prefers to keep the set exactly the same so that he knows exactly what's happening next, and so it's all rehearsed to perfection (not that I'm a fan of his I hasten to add!). I do find it perplexing though when after just one, yes one, show of the stadium tour you're dismissing it as the worst show ever and Vertigo as shit etc. Oh, I've seen them since 1987 and can't wait for this one.

Re: Worst U2 show ever / Vertigo is shit???

jochen said:
What do you think?
I don´t think so. I have been seeing them from 1992 on and Brussel was the worst show ever.
Why to play Vertigo two times. It it was a one-timer it would be funny. But not 10 times on the tour until now. Crap.
Why dropping off "An Cat Dubh", "The Ocean"? Why playing only crowd pleasers. Yes, we are in stadiums, but why can´t they play something rare aund suprising. Have a a look at Springsteen. He played at over 120 Rising shows over 130 diffenrt song.
On he solo tour (I know it is easier) he played after 15 shows 54 diffenrent songs.
No, this tour is no good tour. Where is the spirit of Elevation? Lost in the idea of building the biggest stagest and beeing the biggest band ever.
An U2, please use the day off to think abut the setlist. But they had 2 or 3 month to thing about it. And besides of 2 or 3 shows the whole tour is boring. And the promise by Bono to change the setlists a lot is means, they play 20+ songs out of 30 songs and play them in another order.
Everyone has to build up his own opinion about this shows, but mine is that. Sure, it is my fault to go to 20+ shows, but there a lots of people seeing more than 1 show. And the band has to play rarities for them and not only a Greatest Hits show.
If I want that, I listen to the Greatest Hits CDs and clap my hands during the shows. That has the same spirit as an Vertigo Show.
right ok am gonna bite, just dont go to any more shows, you wont be dissapointed then, have you joined this board to have a good moan?

jochen said:
And the band has to play rarities for them and not only a Greatest Hits show.

I don't know about that. You have to remember that this was the first show in Europe...many of these people haven't heard any of the new songs live before. It took the band a long time to hammer out a kick-ass setlist in North America, and one they felt represented the best of their talents....you can hear the process unfold in all of those bootlegs from the start of the tour.

I'll be the first one to admit I have a taste for rarities, stuff from Pop, etc. I think some of those songs will surface as the tour moves along. But I also think last night's setlist represented U2's current message in full force -- for people who, unlike you, haven't had the opportunity to see it up close before yesterday. That's the majority, and U2 are currently on a mission to reach the majority, the mainstream. It's frustrating at times for the diehard fans, but also very clever if you consider the forces behind U2's drive to get their ideas across to as many folks as possible.

play it cool said:
I do find it perplexing though when after just one, yes one, show of the stadium tour you're dismissing it as the worst show ever and Vertigo as shit etc. Oh, I've seen them since 1987 and can't wait for this one.

Toronto in September...can't wait!!!
:dancing:

I'm in a good mood today in comparrisson to last night where the hostality was out of this world sometimes as far as I'm concerned.
After seeing the videofootage it is clear that Vertigo is a great song when played later in the set.the visuals are outstanding and the song whether you like it or not rocks...this however (still feel the same after a good night sleep) is no reason to play this song twice..it's not a daylightsong in my opinion...:wink:

one month till amsterdam .............................:huh:

jochen said:
Sure, it is my fault to go to 20+ shows

That's your problem right there. There is much more insanity in a fan paying for and travelling to 20+ shows than there is in the 'world's greatest band' only playing 31 different songs on the 1st leg of their tour. It's just too much U2 (if there is such a thing :wink:) You're going to great lengths to follow U2, so at least enjoy the ride. Just like anything else you do in life, there will be highs and lows. Seeing so many shows and going so many places definitely has its share of excitement, so try not to be disappointed that the shows aren't customized for you personally.

*I don't mean anything personal, I was just trying to respond to your post objectively. Believe me, alot of us are jealous that some people get to see so many shows.

zwervers2 said:

After seeing the videofootage it is clear that Vertigo is a great song when played later in the set.the visuals are outstanding and the song whether you like it or not rocks

:yes:

zwervers2 said:
I'm in a good mood today in comparrisson to last night where the hostality was out of this world sometimes as far as I'm concerned.
After seeing the videofootage it is clear that Vertigo is a great song when played later in the set.the visuals are outstanding and the song whether you like it or not rocks...this however (still feel the same after a good night sleep) is no reason to play this song twice..it's not a daylightsong in my opinion...:wink:

one month till amsterdam .............................:huh:

On the plus side, in Amsterdam they can close the roof, thus they can use the videotechnicals earlier if they want to. And there is still a chance this show's setlist was a fluke. Remember when they started the 3rd leg of Elevation? That setlist was a total one show only. And even if they continue to do Vertigo twice, I kind of like it. The only gripes I have with the Brussels setlist is that Vertigo opened it when its clearny not a opening song. Its a natural followup song after the opener which should be COBL.

OK, I also missed ACD/ITH.

ACD/ITH and The Ocean aren't going to play in a stadium like they do in a smaller indoor arena. You may see them pop up, however, I don't think too often at the outdoor shows.

Where is the spirit of Elevation? I don't understand that part of your gripe.....

jochen said:

But not only Springsteen does the setlist changing. So do R.E.M., Neil Young, Jackson Browne, The Stones and others.
Also in Stadiums. There must be sapce for one or two different songs each night. Im am really sure. If only U2 wanted to do.

Go to them, sell your U2 tickets to people who like it, that way you don't get bored. They turn the setlist around the way they have been doing in de last 25 years, so why do they have to change now. ZooTV opened with the same 10/15 songs for two years. Sure the did some new tracks, but they released an album in between, so mayby that's a good idea. Stop mocking. Life's about joy man

as much as I want to see them change the setlist up and play different songs every night out of their catalogue like a Springstein, u2 have NEVER done that. So why would they start now?

Anyone who turned up just for the "hits" would be perplexed by these:

The Electric Co.
Running To Stand Still
Zoo Station
Bullet
MD
L&POE
UTEOW
Yahweh

Personally I think they got a good mix.

Ooh, sorry for my ignorance, but where is the video footage of Vertigo the encore?!
I love the idea of that, wouldn't mind at all hearing it twice at the next show I go to (once was not enough for me, 20 would I think be too much, moneywise at the very least!)
cheers all...

RademR said:
as much as I want to see them change the setlist up and play different songs every night out of their catalogue like a Springstein, u2 have NEVER done that. So why would they start now?

Because their catalog is much more extensive and the body of work so impressive. Also b/c they need to keep adapting to current times (the information age.) No band has done that, IMO, as well as U2 with all of the technical aspects of their stage show... they just need to find a way to may that with the setlist.

I know they can do it.

yeh i'm going on the 18th. You get the best deal with the support band tho! Interpol -wicked band, Athlete - bag of shite!

hope the setlist changes at least a bit by then.....

Last edited:

jochen said:
What do you think?

Boo Hoo.
You got to see U2, be happy for that.

ok people now time to drop the moan bombs from tonights setlist..

even though i have NO idea how anyone could moan,

thats an brilliant setlist, people will moan about vertigo again, but its 2 different versions of it, one completly rocking version, and one visualy stunning version

bargain

Oh well U2 are never gonna please everyone... c'est la vie...

I say they wanna play Vertigo twice it is up to them, i won't knock it til i see it then i will make up my own mind if i like it or not....which i probably will :laugh:...:wink:

Again 2 times Vertigo..It is just plain stupid...who cares if it rocks.2 times for a non classic... it is almost an insult considering the amount of money you pay to see them. play it at the end if you want to show the visual stuff...what kind of argument is it to play it as an opener for pure rock and then at the end because of the visuals???? :huh:

pleased to hear to WOWY is back again eventhough Bono can not sing this anymore...Untill the end of the world hahaha

Oh and before anyone starts with the following statements:
1-you are lucky to see them
2-give me your ticket
3-we should be glad that they are even touring

1-luck has nothing to do with it..standing in the f*** cold for 8 hours that's doing it
2-(see 1)
3-why?? a lot of people on this forum seem to forget a very important thing. WE made them who they are, not the other way around). Some people consider it an honour that the boys are touring again...ehhhh yeah..it's a job people don;t forget

I can not wait to see them but they make very strange setlist decisions to say the least...stage looks fucking amazing Bono sings great...

hope everyone enjoys the shows they are going to attend!!!!
I know everyone will...love and peace and above all things respect!

:wink:

THIS IS HORRIBLE, I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING, HOW COULD YOU.

redhill said:

Because their catalog is much more extensive and the body of work so impressive. Also b/c they need to keep adapting to current times (the information age.) No band has done that, IMO, as well as U2 with all of the technical aspects of their stage show... they just need to find a way to may that with the setlist.

I know they can do it.

my point exactly...they are not some teenagers with no material.

zwervers2

1. you are lucky to see them
2. you are lucky they are touring
3. sell your ticket then

:laugh:

Sorry, couldnt resist. What I dont get though is why you waited in line for 8 hours for tickets for a band that disappoints you so much with their setlist choices?? I mean, this tour is no different that prior ones with the semi static setlists. Did someone have a gun to your head or something camp out so you could be disappointed? If anything there is a tad more variety than usual at this stage for a U2 tour. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom