is Wild Horses a contender?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmaly

The Fly
I know it has been reduced to snippet status... but on the early Zoo shows the transition from "End of the World" to "Wild Horses" was fantastic... it has been played both fully and acoustically... is it a contender or an obscure 90's relic? Would love to hear it live again.

i heard on a radio interview (atyclb era) that all 4 of them hate the way the song turned out and dislike it! this is why they never play it live anymore and why it was not on best of 90's

I think this is one of the band's most underrated songs. So many people seem to hate it. It was my favorite song when I first bought AB, and still fights for that spot from time to time.

The violin in one speaker/guitar in the other is such a great production choice.

I always felt that the Temple Bar single mix watered this song down and made it TOO accessible. It's not supposed to be a sing along. To me it's one of the saddest songs on the album, and Bono's lyric is both poetic and conversational at the same time.

One of the most emotional vocal deliveries on the album as well.

But the odds of them playing songs now that they could never get right on their own proper tour (Do You Feel Loved, Red Hill Mining Town, Acrobat, So Cruel, If God Will Send His Angels, When I Look At The World) are pretty slim.

laz

I love the album version too. I thought that song fit so well with the whole AB theme. I have a live version (full band) and it sounds great. Larry really shines. I don't understand why U2 is so hard on themselves sometimes. :mad:

On Elevation, the band did do a couple of verses of WGRYWH after Bad sometimes, and it was pretty good. However, that really does not signify it will be brought back in any way. I highly doubt it's a contender, but it would be neat if (assuming they retain the acoustic set) they vary things up and pull it out acoustically a few nights.

It would be a good acoustic number. Isn't it funny how many songs U2 could play. If they just add a little variety every night.

lazarus said:
So many people seem to hate it.

Yep, that's me... and I don't hate lightly.

Actually I could never really *hate* any U2 song. But I loathe the title and chorus, and even though I've tried desperately to believe it's intended ironically, I shudder whenever I hear the line "baby, can we still be friends?"

The music was the most "classic U2" on the album (it's interesting to hear the development from the Berlin sessions), and it always felt out of place to me. And I think the themes were explored much more creatively on So Cruel, Ultraviolet and Acrobat.

So I'd prefer not to hear it again. But if they play it, I'll be one of the dorks singing along... just with a guilty conscience.

hey zoopop, could you by chance send me a copy of that full band version? i would love to hear it, if you get a chance (bonovoxkite@yahoo.com). it would be great if they dusted off more achtung songs. that is the single greatest album.... ever.

thanks, scott.

I have always thought the Wild Horses has a classic style rock n'roll underbelly to it. Maybe it's the transition from the middle eight to the final chorus - reminds me of Last Kiss sorta

I can't believe i just stumbled onto this thread. i spent all day yesterday thinking about this very idea. i would absolutley die if they played it live on the new tour. i love this song. in my top 10 u2 songs all time.

Back
Top Bottom