First Time better with piano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
I'm really loving that something from Zooropa other than Stay was finally played. And I'm certainly not one to suggest taking things down a notch in the live setting. But after hearing the recording of The First Time, I'm wondering if this wouldn't be more powerful with Edge on piano.

With the guitar, this doesn't really go anywhere musically. On the album version, when Bono sings "...and I threw away the key", the notes played by Edge are very powerful. I'm not hearing that build up and release on the bootleg.

It's funny, because I thought OOTS was shit without the electric guitar; the piano was too weak for the power of that particular song. But here, I think it's the opposite.

Anyone?

I think if they did that they should have it take Miss Sarajevo's place in the setlist. Miss Sarajevo is such a snoozer with just the piano, throwing a piano version of the First Time there instead could be sweet.

I don't like how they completely changed the end and took out the awesome buildup which is the best part of the song. I think it could still be powerful with the guitar, Bono just needs to sing "and I threw away the key" more than once. Maybe the Edge could switch from guitar to piano for just that part, and make it even more dramatic. I don't know, the "love" part at the end is kind of fun with the audience participation, but man, that buildup could have been powerful live.

Why don't they do it? I think it's because Bono can't hit the falsetto that is needed to finish the song if they ended it the correct way. They took out the falsetto part earlier in the song too. Which is sad.

I also don't like how they took out the falsetto parts of Miss Sarajevo. Bono just says "oh oh" in a low voice now where it used to be a beautiful "oo, oo" falsetto. I guess Bono just can't handle that anymore, such a pity.

Now that NYD has been cut it would be nice to see Edge hit double duty on somthing. The First Time would be a good oppourtunity - and I agree with Chizip, throw it into Miss Sarajevo's position.

I don't quite know the exact arrangment, The Edge would more than be able to manage it. Probably guitar into piano for the last verse into guitar to finish.

hell maybe Bono could play piano while Edge plays guitar. it's so simple a baboon could do it, and he was able to play piano for the sweetest thing during the elevation tour. yeah i think that's the ticket.

Last edited:
Yeah, Miss Sarajevo's a complete snooze and Bono can't hit great notes any more. That's why they don't do the opera part. :|

Try harder.

The opera part isn't falsetto is it? I'm not knocking Bono's voice, the opera part is very impressive, it's the only thing that keeps me from going into a coma during that song, but it's just that he can't do falsetto every night anymore. Why else would they take the falsetto parts out of Miss Sarajevo? Why did they take the falsetto parts out of The First Time? Because it sounds better without them? I think not...

Chizip said:
hell maybe Bono could play piano while Edge plays guitar. it's so simple a baboon could do it, and he was able to play piano for the sweetest thing during the elevation tour.

'you know what would happen, if I said something like this?

I wouldn't even tell. Do a search or something. Let's just say that according to some people on this board you are not allowed to judge the difficulty of playing the various songs. You are disturbing their illusions :shh:

ok i think i missed that :huh:

anyway, if its too hard for bono to play they could just use a backing track and he could pretend to play piano like he pretends to play guitar.

Chizip said:
The opera part isn't falsetto is it? I'm not knocking Bono's voice, the opera part is very impressive, it's the only thing that keeps me from going into a coma during that song, but it's just that he can't do falsetto every night anymore. Why else would they take the falsetto parts out of Miss Sarajevo? Why did they take the falsetto parts out of The First Time? Because it sounds better without them? I think not...

I honestly hadn't noticed the lack of falsetto. Both songs sound fine to me the way they are and I honestly cannot believe you think Miss Sarajevo to be so dull. I mean, RTSS is essentially very similar in musical style live, what with being a slow song on piano and all, and it doesn't have anything amazing like the operatic vocals, but I don't recall you considering RTSS to be so dull.

rumors of lemon at the mexico rehearsals, but many believe they werent true. though i have heard from a source they have been rehearsing lemon lately, but i dont think we will see it for the falsetto reason. unless they find a way to do it without the falsetto, but the falsetto makes the song.

Chizip said:
rumors of lemon at the mexico rehearsals, but many believe they werent true. though i have heard from a source they have been rehearsing lemon lately, but i dont think we will see it for the falsetto reason.

:laugh: Lemon was worked on recently.................. I have some swamp land you may be interested in, send me a PM! :laugh: ;)

Back
Top Bottom