Do you think time is right for the whole song "40" to make a comeback?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
Hi All!

I was getting bored at work with nada to do so I was mentally thinking of the songs that I hope would be played on the forthcoming tour esp at the shows that Im gonna attend in Manchester and in Croke Park (or Twickenham subject to ticket swap still being worked out)....

And I suddenly remembered "40" in my head..... oh man, the last time I heard that very song live was back in 1987 during Joshua Tree tour at Edinburgh and I will never forget the sights and sounds of literally thousands upon thousands of fans all singing the strain "How long to sing this song" all the way out of the stadium....to me, at that time, I thought it was really magical, wonderful and certainly the best moment of the gig that night... also at that moment I knew I would be hooked on the band since....

Anyway, though Im acutely aware that an excerpt of "40" was played as part of Bad during the Elevation tour in 2001 but I feel that the time is ripe for the full song's return to the U2 setlist for this year's Vertigo tour as its not been played in Europe nor in America since 1987 (though it has been played in South Africa during Popmart tour in 1998).... I reckon it ought to be put in the middle of a gig and not the usual ending of each gig back in the 1980's....

so intereferencers.... what do you think? You think it ought to make a comeback or be confined to the shelves for now or should it be played only a few times on this tour...? or what?

Your thoughts please......

dougal

YES YES YES.
I would prefer no medleys, no attachments to "Yahweh", althought that would be brilliant.

I want a full band version by itself a-la the Joshua tree tour. Incredible close to a concert, with the whole crowd singing along, and the band members walking of stage one at a time.

:drool: :drool:

Just for a factual correction, 40 was last played in Europe in February 2001. Yes, I'm not kidding. It closed most European Lovetown dates in December 1989 and January 1990, then Bono-and-Edge-only performances closed four Popmart gigs, and it reappeared full band to close a London ATYCLB promo gig at the Astoria on 7 February 2001 before being snippeted on the Elevation Tour between Bad and Streets or a few times during Walk On.

I am now eagerly anticipating Yahweh/40. One/Yahweh/40 SHOULD be the final encore.

Thank you for the most sensible post I have seen on this board, to date. "40" is truly a classic, and the most brilliant show closer ever used by any band. It is an encapsulation of all that U2 is.

Strongly disagree here. I loved 40 but it had it's time and that time is in the past. I think it's great to throw a snippet of it in here and there but they should not go back to closing every show with it. Let's please get past this nonsense that a show has to end with 40 in order to be great. Personally, I think the best closing sequence they have done was on ZooTV when they closed with Love Is Blindness then Bono singing Can't Help Falling In Love.

The rumors stated that a "Yahweh/40/Walk On" medley would close the show.........and all three of those were played the other night in rehearsals....

Yes i have great memorys of past gigs when U2 finished there set with 40.everyone singing,the drum solo at the end. fab

Back
Top Bottom