Brazil II setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ponkine

Refugee
Hola Amigos ;)

Well, it´s clear the band learned the lesson :heart: because Last Night setlist was one of the truly best setlists of the whole tour !!! :drool:

Here is:

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
Until The End of the World
New Years Day
Still Haven’t Found What I'm Looking For
Beautiful Day
The First Time
Desire
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo

Pride in the Name of Love
Where the Streets Have No Name
One

Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
With or Without You

Yahweh
All I Want is You/Love Rescue Me

PROS: There were a lot, let´s see:
- Opening song: City Of Blinding Lights :up:
- Achtung Baby encore
- A song from Zooropa at last !!!!! :shocked:
- No fillers !!!:shocked:
- All I Want Is You/ Love Rescue Me ending
- Overall more exciting, risky and with more surprises

CONS: I don´t see many cons, I haven´t heard Desire, but I know it was performed just by Bono & Edge. Normally that version sucks, maybe it was a great rendition last night, but full band versions are always better :shrug:

I hope they keep this wonderful setlist for Santiago :drool:

I truly can't tell what on earth you consider to be a great set now. You complain about hits, and yet this set is much more of a hits set than others you have hated. Out of the 23 songs, NINETEEN are from the Best Ofs or the new album. Out of the remaining four, one is a live classic from U2's best-selling album (Bullet), two are from U2's other classic (Zoo Station, The Fly), and one is a popular recent hit (Elevation). This set certainly doesn't have any songs with the level of obscurity of Fast Cars or The Electric Co.

I'm not meaning to sound negative, as I actually am very pleased with this set and the variation that's happened at the last five shows. I'm just pointing out, ponkine, that this doesn't seem like a set you'd like based on prior comments. I also can't figure out what leads you to consider a song to be filler.

To some extent, I agree with you my friend. Considering what they played during the first legs, this is a huge improvement.
Neverthless I still miss statements as Running To Stand Still :(

When I say some song is filler or not, I´m talking about the quality of the song. The First Time or All I Want Is You are so much better written songs than Stuck In A Moment or Norwegian Wood. Simply as that.

I know you miss One Tree Hill, Electric Co and others, I agree. I prefer those ones instead of Elevation:yes:

Anyway, expect the unexpected ;) a few days ago NOBODY thought that they were going to play First Time, Desire or All I Want Is You, so maybe a miracle is going to happen and they perform Running To Stand Still, Electric Co, One Tree Hill or songs like that

Peace :wave:

i'm not sure a miracle is playing Electric Co. It would just be a song going back into rotation... RTSS you can enever rule out, and i can't comment on One Tree Hill

Like I said last night. I like them ending with All I Want Is You. Great idea! :up:

So it sounds like Desire was the Popmart version (Bono and Edge acoustic). Cool that they did it, but I dont think that really adds much to the setlist (which I do think is a good one). Now full band electric Desire like the Lovetown version would have been outstanding! I dont know why they wont bring it back that way. The song rocks live when its done that way.

Blue Room said:
Like I said last night. I like them ending with All I Want Is You. Great idea! :up:

So it sounds like Desire was the Popmart version (Bono and Edge acoustic). Cool that they did it, but I dont think that really adds much to the setlist (which I do think is a good one). Now full band electric Desire like the Lovetown version would have been outstanding! I dont know why they wont bring it back that way. The song rocks live when its done that way.

Maybe they will bring it back now. :hmm:

Yes, bring Desire full band version back !!!!!:drool:

My dreamed setlist considering what they played in Sao Paulo is :heart:

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
The Electric Co
Until The End of the World
New Years Day
I Still Haven’t Found What I'm Looking For
Beautiful Day
The First Time
Desire (full band version)
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo

Running To Stand Still
Where the Streets Have No Name
Pride in the Name of Love
One

Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
With or Without You

Yahweh
All I Want is You/Love Rescue Me

:heart:

Axver-I have the same sentiment as you. I would love for them to take more risks and do more obscure songs. BUT, the deal here in Brazil is that most of the paying public is more familiar with the hits. When they played Zoo Station and the Fly, I pretty much was the only person moving in my seat. Everyone watched with amusement more than anything(and these are not too obscure IMO, esp. the Fly).
But overall, the show is what worked for this market and it was one of the most energetic and best delivered shows I think U2 has done. It absolutely rocked!!! (and I am not a big fan of the last 2 albums at all)

This really is a greatest hits setlist. Not that there is anything wrong with it. When a U2 tour hits an area that hasn't been reached for 8-10 years, you better expect a greatest hits setlist. I hope my Austrailian friends here don't have an expectation of the Boy trilogy showing up. Due to the reception of Bad in Mexico, I'd hope that it wouldn't signal the end of that song either for V4. :(

Take what you can get.

I just read on the setlist watch party thread that Desire was done because a fan got onstage and requested it. Wasnt planned and apparantly Bono butchered it lyrically. So its not like they sat down, decided they wanted to include Desire, rehearsed it and played it. Sounds like it was alot like Angel Of Harlem was when it was done in Texas. It may not be repeated again.

Blue Room said:

i agree. my old band used to do the Lovetown version, and it was probably the easiest song on our set to play. normally, we wouldn't even have to practice it the week of our gigs.

Blue Room said:
I just read on the setlist watch party thread that Desire was done because a fan got onstage and requested it. Wasnt planned and apparantly Bono butchered it lyrically. So its not like they sat down, decided they wanted to include Desire, rehearsed it and played it. Sounds like it was alot like Angel Of Harlem was when it was done in Texas. It may not be repeated again.
so that would mean U2 were both being spontanious, AND adding a new song to the setlist?

which people cry for

KUEFC09U2 said:
so that would mean U2 were both being spontanious, AND adding a new song to the setlist?

which people cry for

Spontanious is good for the most part. But when Bono cant even remember how to play it or the lyrics, is that a good spontaniety? Debatable.

My point was U2 were not planning to add a new song like they WANTED to shake it up by adding it. It just happened thanks to a fan and Desire may not appear again. Unless it planted a seed in their minds that they thought it would work. My guess is though it wont appear again.

From what I have read from Larry, is that they have become a little more relaxed about their perfectionistic ways in concert. I don´t think the Rock and roll hall of fame will pull U2 out for screwing up the lyrics to Desire. The crowd ate it up in SP last night anyway.

Mogi said:
From what I have read from Larry, is that they have become a little more relaxed about their perfectionistic ways in concert. I don´t think the Rock and roll hall of fame will pull U2 out for screwing up the lyrics to Desire. The crowd ate it up in SP last night anyway.

I never said it was a bad thing that they did it. Again, what is disappointing about it is the reason they did it. It wasnt done because they decided to mix it up and add the song. That is what I would like to see from the band. I guess we have to take what we can get though. At least there are some changes. U2 could have played it completely safe on this leg and it doesnt appear they are. Which is a good thing.

The snippet from "Love Rescue Me" was just the first verse, with some altered lyrics.

"Desire" was a complete mess. Bono sang it for a girl that was supposedly called Desire (her name was probably Des'ree or something like that). Some of the lyrics included: "Gonna make it up/as we go along/'cause I can't remember..." :D

"All I Want Is You" was probably not on the setlist either. After the song, all band members went to the microphone to thank the audience, and the lights were not switched on before some time. Maybe there was a last song on the setlist (40? Bad?) that ended up not being performed.

kristbg said:

"All I Want Is You" was probably not on the setlist either. After the song, all band members went to the microphone to thank the audience, and the lights were not switched on before some time. Maybe there was a last song on the setlist (40? Bad?) that ended up not being performed.

Actually, it may have been listed as the last song. If they are doing a runner (which is a real possibility since it was the last show there), they leave the houselights down until the band has left the venue and are well out of there. They do it so they can speed out of there and get to their airplane. Would be curious though to see the actual setlist to know for sure.

Hey people , returned today , and this concert was my first u2 concert , so you can guess how I´m feeling . So Desire wasn´t planned at all , It happened that when Edge and Bono were in the target B-stage a girl got Bono´s attention with a paper written "LET ME UP " He asked if She could play guitar , she answered she could sing , anyway she was brought up , and she did show him her ID with her name Desiré . So it was like that Bono said wow , he got impressed , and he and Edge played , it was a acoustic with improvised lyrics version but anyway the people got electric with it´s return and sang it pretty loud . Awesome hear a stadium audience sing DESIRE BTW . Gonna write more after bout this show , but some things :

HIGHLIGHTS :

-The Band really enjoying the audience , we could even see Larry smiling
-Edge jumping a lot , in fact I don´t remember him jumpin in Streets since Popmart and he even thanked in the microphone the audience
-People singing really louder than Bono in Pride and Streets

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom