Ask the setlist generork.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Yes, I know there's a thread addressed to me, but I felt like making my own 'Ask the ...' thread much like those that have become really popular over on Free Your Mind. I'll field any setlist enquiries, questions, challenges, and the like. I would also love to hear corrections and additions for u2-vertigo-tour.com if you have any - I am particularly looking for snippets.

So go ahead and ask away, or talk to me about setlists!

By the way, to answer one question I can see coming ...

Q: What is a generork?
A: A term of my own making. It was created from geek, nerd, and dork. I got sick of trying to differentiate between the three so I just pushed them all together.

Q: How often was the elusive 'Acrobat' soundchecked?

Q: What is their most played song? I'm guessing "Streets" should handily have the title as it's been played at seemingly every concert since it was released, however, "I Will Follow" was played at every concert through JT, so I'm guessing it could possibly be quite close between the two....

Q: How many songs have been sung and at what occurences as a snippet within Bad or a segue out of Bad into somthing?

This should keep you busy for long enough to distract you from your conspiracy to see UF win survivor:yes:

Q. How long, exactly, to sing this song?

U2dork said:
Q: How many, and which songs, have been played never?

I can tackle this one, I'm at work and I know it off hand. If you are going just on released albums it would be:

Stranger In A Strange land
Is That All? (unless you count the guitar riff which was The Cry)
The Refugee
Red Light
Drowning Man (only a snippet was done live)
Promenade
4th Of July (played on the PA as the intro but not live)
Elvis Presley And America
Red Hill Mining Town
Heartland
Acrobat
Some Days Are Better Than Others
The First Time (snippet done at some Zooropa shows, not a full version)
The Wanderer
Playboy Mansion
When I Look At The World (snippet only, not even close to the full song or full band)
Grace

I think thats it, may have missed a song or two though. You could also delve into B sides which would obviously make the list much longer.

When was the last time The Unforgettable Fire was played? And how many times has it been played?:wink:

blah

I believe, at least I could've sworn that When I look Into The World was played just once and it was more than a snippet during the Elevation Tour. I forget which show but I receieved this show several months ago and this ssong was played acousitc if i remember correctly and i belevie it went into Bad. I could be wrong on this one lol.

Re: blah

earthshell said:
I believe, at least I could've sworn that When I look Into The World was played just once and it was more than a snippet during the Elevation Tour. I forget which show but I receieved this show several months ago and this ssong was played acousitc if i remember correctly and i belevie it went into Bad. I could be wrong on this one lol.

It was 11/27/01 KC and I consider it a snippet as it was just tacked on the end of Bad, Bono just sang a few lines of it. I dont consider it a full version at all. If you do, cool. :shrug:

Aardvark747 said:
Q: - Is there a sexual attraction that sustains your setlist fetish - and if so, could you please inform us in great detail?

:wink:

Hahaha! :lol: No! My setlist fanaticism has two sources:

1. The desire to imagine U2 concerts. The occasional 'design your own setlist' thread here encouraged that and I would begin ordering the songs, trying to think of what would work best.
2. Boredom in high school that resulted in countless hours being spent on what is now u2-vertigo-tour.com

BigMacPhisto said:
Q: How often was the elusive 'Acrobat' soundchecked?

Q: What is their most played song? I'm guessing "Streets" should handily have the title as it's been played at seemingly every concert since it was released, however, "I Will Follow" was played at every concert through JT, so I'm guessing it could possibly be quite close between the two....

A1: Acrobat was developed in a New Zealand Lovetown soundcheck and I believe soundchecked all nights at the Hershey rehearsals before the Outside Broadcast Tour but was not played at the public dress rehearsal in Hershey. I'm afraid I don't have full soundcheck info, though.

A2: U2's most played song is I Will Follow, which has been played on every single tour.

timothius said:
Q: How many songs have been sung and at what occurences as a snippet within Bad or a segue out of Bad into somthing?

This should keep you busy for long enough to distract you from your conspiracy to see UF win survivor:yes:

Answer: a lot.

:wink:

bono_man2002 said:
Q: How many, and Which Songs have only been played Once?

Oooh, tough one. I presume you mean full performances only?

Scarlet
Like A Song
So Cruel was sung in full just once, and was only done by Bono, not the full band
If God Will Send His Angels was only done in full once

I feel like I have missed something ...

Blue Room said:

I can tackle this one, I'm at work and I know it off hand. If you are going just on released albums it would be:

Stranger In A Strange land
Is That All? (unless you count the guitar riff which was The Cry)
The Refugee
Red Light
Drowning Man (only a snippet was done live)
Promenade
4th Of July (played on the PA as the intro but not live)
Elvis Presley And America
Red Hill Mining Town
Heartland
Acrobat
Some Days Are Better Than Others
The First Time (snippet done at some Zooropa shows, not a full version)
The Wanderer
Playboy Mansion
When I Look At The World (snippet only, not even close to the full song or full band)
Grace

I think thats it, may have missed a song or two though. You could also delve into B sides which would obviously make the list much longer.

Yep, Blue Room's got this one covered. I can add that Stranger In A Strange Land and Heartland have been snippeted, and I'd love to know when Drowning Man was snippeted! Then the "then there will be no time" line from Playboy Mansion was sung at the end of some Popmart performances of Streets. Also, Peace On Earth was only ever snippeted.

For b-sides, it's easier to list what was played: Boy/Girl, Touch, Things To Make And Do, Party Girl, Spanish Eyes, Silver And Gold, Slow Dancing, Holy Joe, North And South Of The River.

FullonEdge2 said:
When was the last time The Unforgettable Fire was played? And how many times has it been played?:wink:

Without looking: 6 January 1990 in Rotterdam, a total of 204 times.

Upon checking: 6 January 1990 in Rotterdam, a total of 205 times.

Macfistowannabe said:
Do you happen to own the book U2 Show?

It's pretty sweet.

I do actually, it was sent to me for my eighteenth birthday back in January. Very awesome book!

Axver said:
If God Will Send His Angels was only done in full once
Vegas, and it was pretty infamous. Pardon my cynicism. Still, I think it could've been a potentially defining moment of Popmart had it been rehearsed. Perhaps it could have fit in great towards the end of the setlist.

Axver said:

Without looking: 6 January 1990 in Rotterdam, a total of 204 times.

Upon checking: 6 January 1990 in Rotterdam, a total of 205 times.

On fire!

Thanks though. I'm really hoping the song makes at least one or two appearances this tour.

Macfistowannabe said:
Vegas, and it was pretty infamous. Pardon my cynicism. Still, I think it could've been a potentially defining moment of Popmart had it been rehearsed. Perhaps it could have fit in great towards the end of the setlist.

From the Vegas version, you can definitely tell it would have been quite stunning if the band had gotten it right. I can't believe they gave up on the full band version after just ONE performance. They kept the Bono-and-Edge version for a while ... I'm surprised they didn't try the full band one ever again.

Q: When was the last time Who's Gonna Ride your Wild Horses played?

Tell the future,
Q: Do you know which song is the possible encore opener for the Vertigo tour?

Last edited:
Hallucination said:
Q: Do you know which song is the possible encore opener?

Nope, but I predict it will be one of the following four, in order from most to least expected: LAPOE, Crumbs, Bullet, One. Zoo Station is the outside chance but I very much doubt it.

Axver said:

Nope, but I predict it will be one of the following four, in order from most to least expected: LAPOE, Crumbs, Bullet, One. Zoo Station is the outside chance but I very much doubt it.
help me out. LAOPE is not coming to me....

And oops, missed your edit.

WGRYWH is a song I'm not expert on, but here's my best attempt:

The last time WGRYWH was played as a snippet was late on the third leg of the Elevation Tour, later than 2001-11-18, Las Vegas. Acoustically, it was played last 1992-11-24, Mexico City. Full band, it was played last 1992-08-12, East Rutherford.

Upon checking: Wow, I got it. The last snippet was 2001-12-02, Miami, which I suspected but wasn't sure. The other dates are right.

Hallucination said:

help me out. LAOPE is not coming to me....

LAPOE would be Love And Peace Or Else and the message of "lay down your guns" seems appropriate coming after a video on the Universal Declaration Of Human Rights.

Axver said:

LAPOE would be Love And Peace Or Else and the message of "lay down your guns" seems appropriate coming after a video on the Universal Declaration Of Human Rights.

hahah! Gotcha. I'll always remeber LAPOE from now on. It's funny how when you've never seen it abreviated it's almost impossible to know what it is. I'm that way every time I see a song abbreviated for the first time. Thanks for the info on WGRYWH.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom