Ali's EDUN: Shopping is Politics*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/11265edun-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Debbie Kreuser

EDUN—the name evokes a feeling of innocence and simplicity, conjuring up images of beauty and passion. But behind the enigmatic name, the word EDUN has come to represent a brighter future for thousands of some of the world's poorest people.

On March 11, 2005, Ali Hewson, accompanied by fashion clothing designer Rogan Gregory and husband Bono, introduced the world to EDUN, a fair trade clothing line. Made largely of organic fibers and natural dyes, and produced in an environmentally friendly manner, EDUN is a labor of love that took nearly four years to plan and implement. As Hewson told the Sunday Independent, "We want to prove that you can make a profit while running a business in a responsible way.”

The issue of fair trade has been gaining momentum over the last several years as the economic disparities between, as Bono says, the "have nots" and the "have yachts" have widened.

According to Hewson, Africa had 6 percent of world trade in 1980. By 2002, Africa's share of world trade had dropped to only 2 percent, due largely to restrictive trade policies imposed on African countries by trade agreements made with developed nations and international agencies like the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and the World Trade Organization. If they could recoup just 1 percent of world trade (equaling $70 billion a year), African countries could surpass the current $22 billion in international aid that they get a year and do much more for their populace with increased spending on health care, education, clean water resources and nutritional programs. As Hewson told The Observer, "The idea is to show that the world can do business with Africa. They don't want charity, they want to prove that they can make a profit."

EDUN currently contracts with locally owned and family-run manufacturing facilities in Lima, Peru, and Monastir, Tunisia, with adjunct facilities in India and Portugal. Several more manufacturing facilities in Lesotho, South Africa and Tanzania are slated to start production for EDUN later this year. EDUN employs people in these countries, many of whom had lost their jobs due to the further globalization of world trade that has most adversely affected Africa, while maintaining decent labor practices. Bono described it this way to MTVAsia.com, "At the very heart of it, we have the idea of the four respects: respect for what your clothes are made of, respect for who is making them, respect for where they are made and respect for the people who are going to put them on."

11265edun.jpg

Ninety percent of EDUN's cotton and denim clothing is currently made in Tunisia and Peru, and more than half of the cotton comes from unsubsidized sources in Africa and South America giving local farmers locked out of the world trade market by restrictive trade agreements made with the WTO and developed nations over the last 20 years a chance to make a decent living.

Workers are paid a livable minimum wage with basic health care provided and no child labor's allowed in EDUN facilities.

The clothes range from perfectly tailored jeans and sexy, lacy camisoles to rugged men's cotton shirts and T-shirts. The clothing retails from $55 to $325, with most in the $175 area. In addition to creating the EDUN line, some of the T-shirts sold during the current U2 tour are also made by EDUN.

While there's no particular target group designated to market EDUN to, so far it's being sold at some of the world's more upscale stores, including Saks Fifth Avenue, Selfridges, Brown Thomas, Holt Renfrew and Barney’s New York. If the idea was to market EDUN in these stores to catch the eye of the fashion world in order to ultimately change the ways in which the fashion industry does business with developing nations, it must be working. The reaction from the fashion industry has been extremely positive with major articles in some of the world's biggest and most influential fashion magazines, most notably in the March issue of Vogue.

EDUN has its own website where visitors can learn more about the genesis of the line, the four respects it represents and the vision of EDUN. Also included on the website is a short video about the EDUN launch in NYC featuring Hewson, Bono, Gregory and, most importantly, the people who make EDUN's clothing.

EDUN is a superb idea whose time has come. I've already made several EDUN purchases to support this very important endeavor. The feeling of wearing something that you know was not made "with despair,” as Bono and wife Ali have said, will be more than worth the money you'll spend for EDUN's clothes.

For more information on EDUN, visit www.edun.ie.

Here are the EDUN pieces that I've been fortunate so far to purchase:

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...<>ast_id=1408474395222441&bmUID=1120502253417

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...<>ast_id=1408474395222441&bmUID=1120502325535

and a REALLY COMFORTABLE long sleeved green t-shirt with the EDUN leafy design on it which isn't advertised on the SAKS site, although I purchased it at Saks in Chicago. (It was $65.00)

The EDUN t-shirt is really a BEAUTIFUL SALMON COLOR - perfect for either a man or woman to wear.

And the first piece is really every woman's idea of a feminine blouse (Ali must have designed this herself). It is pale pink/white with lacy trim everywhere.

It is embossed with a delicate design and feels like silk on your skin. I mean it - it's that's good on your skin. You feel like a million bucks wearing it!

I was very fortunate that I was able to purchase that one with a discount that was given me by a store employee so it cost me less than half of what it normally sells for. Otherwise I couldn't have afforded it.

I wore my EDUN items during some of the meet ups with Bono outside the UC while U2 was in Chicago, but he was too swamped with autograph hounds to notice them.

Oh well, what's important is to know that you're helping some of the world's poorest people and not always to get the B-man's attention.

Please do whatever you can to support EDUN.:yes:

What's crazy is that if you actually go into a Saks store, they've got a shit load of Edun gear, way more than what's on the website. There's tons and tons of different styles and articles of clothing. Pretty cool. It seems like Edun does a small run of each item, they never seem to have my size (I'm a male, medium size everything).

Their men's clothes do tend to run large (as their women's line tends to run small).

The green long-sleeved t-shirt I described above was a man's large which on me (a women's size 8) is very big.

But I loved the color and design of the shirt so much that I decided to get it anyway.

Thanks for supporting EDUN, my friend.

The people who make the clothes thank you too. :wink:

Here's a pic of the next EDUN shirt I want:

http://forum.interference.com/t133143.html

EDGE - can I have yours? :lol:

The people that make it better thank me, I dropped $400 on a hoodie and that green shirtjacket. Bono better thank me, for that and the $1400 I spent on U2 tickets this year. ;)

The heather gray men's hoodie (there's a female version that's similar in style) is so awesome, I wear it everyday cause its so comfortable. We've been living the dark ages of hoodies, because this Edun piece takes it to another level. The build quality is really really high. And for the price, it should be.

Being a U2 fan is fuckin expensive, LOL.

I'm gonna check out Saks again in a few weeks when I have more cash money to drop. Edun clothes are pretty nice.

great work Debbie, sensational. this show the coherence into U2´s way....you´re a such great fan, really, you´re a huge Bonoist! big hugs my dear!

Fortunately it is possible to support the Fair Trade/Sweat Free clothing movement without shelling out $80 for a tshirt.

While I applaud the Edun line and wish for it to be successful - I do not belong to its target demographic. I know that some people don't bat an eyelash at a $200 pair of jeans but I'm not one of them. If you fit this description then I whole heartedly urge you to seek out Edun products.

However, if the cost of two pieces of the Edun line is equivilant to your clothing budget for the year, there are much cheaper alternatives. Check out the links below for a start.

http://www.organicclothes.com/pages-beyond/social.html

http://www.ethicalgoods.com/

http://www.globalmamas.org/cp-app.pl

http://store.gxonlinestore.org/allclothingandaccessories.html
(includes sweat-free sneakers)

This site has a lot of great information about ethical shopping in general:

http://fairtraderesource.org/support.html

http://www.mayatraditions.com/
I visited the women's cooperative in Guatemala that makes these items and was able to see first hand the skill of the weavers as well as the difference that finding a market for their beautiful weavings has made in their lives.

Diane, I think what EDUN is trying to do, as the article states, is to begin to change the ethos in the fashion industry that fair trade clothing ventures with the developing world is not only POSSIBLE but PROFITABLE.

Thus, to start, EDUN is going to target those "high-end" users - those who shop at Saks and the other stores where "upscale" clothing is sold - to begin to plant the seeds of fair trade clothing in their minds.

Once the demand for fair trade clothing is accepted by those "high-end" users and the fashion industry at large, then the pathway will be made for others who deal in fair trade clothes to have a larger market and a larger presence in the buying public's mind.

At that point, I would expect EDUN to market to the larger buying public, like you and me (I make less than $20,000 a year) by bringing down their prices and opening their clothes to larger middle range department stores.

Actually, EDUN's growing presence in the fashion industry and the buying public's consciousness is HELPING ALL FAIR TRADE VENTURES, especially the clothing lines, by bringing the issue of fairly traded products with the developing world to everyone's attention.

I really can't think of any fair trade clothing venture who wouldn't approve of what Ali Hewson is trying to do with EDUN - it benefits all fair trade ventures. :wink:

Here is one of my favorite fair trade websites:

http://www.agreatergift.org

LOVE AND PEACE....:up:

Dianey said:
Fortunately it is possible to support the Fair Trade/Sweat Free clothing movement without shelling out $80 for a tshirt.

While I applaud the Edun line and wish for it to be successful - I do not belong to its target demographic. I know that some people don't bat an eyelash at a $200 pair of jeans but I'm not one of them. If you fit this description then I whole heartedly urge you to seek out Edun products.

However, if the cost of two pieces of the Edun line is equivilant to your clothing budget for the year, there are much cheaper alternatives. Check out the links below for a start.

I visited the women's cooperative in Guatemala that makes these items and was able to see first hand the skill of the weavers as well as the difference that finding a market for their beautiful weavings has made in their lives.

Thank you for posting those links Diane. I'm looking forward to checking them out.

While I understand the message that EDUN is trying to send to the fashion industry, I cannot support them for several reasons.

Number one, the prices are absolutely ridiculous. Maybe it is fair trade, but the prices are certainly way overmarked.

I also find the clothes to be boring and ugly, so NOT my idea of fashion. I love Ali and Bono, but neither one will win fashion awards with their wardrobes! Then again, they are so beautiful, who cares what they wear, right? ha ha

In addition, their range of sizes is very limited and considering the age of most people who can afford EDUN clothes, I doubt many women could fit comfortably in the women's sizes.

Good idea, bad implementation.

Last edited:
interesting first post, musiclover2004

I bet all the people in the developing countries that are employed by EDUN who wouldn't have a way to provide a decent living for their families without EDUN would see things differently than some of these posts.

EDUN will still pave the way for other fair trade ventures to get further recognition from the buying public and for that, other fair trade ventures will profit from EDUN's "planting the fair trade seed" in the public's mind.

IF only for that, people who support fair trade ventures should be pleased with EDUN.:wink:

Jamila said:
interesting first post, musiclover2004

I bet all the people in the developing countries that are employed by EDUN who wouldn't have a way to provide a decent living for their families without EDUN would see things differently than some of these posts.

EDUN will still pave the way for other fair trade ventures to get further recognition from the buying public and for that, other fair trade ventures will profit from EDUN's "planting the fair trade seed" in the public's mind.

IF only for that, people who support fair trade ventures should be pleased with EDUN.:wink:

I do hope they pave the way for a new way of doing business in the fashion world, but I don't have to support this business venture just because it is something that Bono and Ali put together. I applaud their efforts, but, by no means do I feel obligated to pay $60 for a t-shirt in order to support their business venture.

I agree with most things they support, but there are times, no matter how much I love someone, that I disagree with them. That's how it is for me in this particular instance. It isn't the idea I disagree with, it is the implementation and quite frankly, the boring clothing line they've put together.

In find it interesting that you felt it necessary to comment that this was my first post around here. What do you mean to imply by mentioning it? Is my opinion is not valid or as important as someone who posts here often?

To address your comment, I'm pretty much a lurker around these here parts. I don't find much to comment on, but this is a topic that I find of interest. I would think that all sides of an important issue such as this would be welcome for discussion.

I agree with you, Musiclover, and with others; I hope this is a venture that will succeed. But you are right. This so far has been a very limited and not very interesting line. I have plenty of money to spend, but have not found a single item that I would want to wear. It's a very narrow range of items, sizes, colours, etc. This may be because it's very early on, and the line will expand. That's what I hope. I look forward to the fall items.

And Musiclover, I also must agree with you about the "first post" remark. There seem to be way too many people at this site who are concerned about the number of posts, and how the lack of them suggests that the poster has less validity. This kind of snobbism is particularly sharp and poignant and ironic coming from people who make such a great fuss about "Bono's noble justice issues".
musiclover2004 said:

I do hope they pave the way for a new way of doing business in the fashion world, but I don't have to support this business venture just because it is something that Bono and Ali put together. I applaud their efforts, but, by no means do I feel obligated to pay $60 for a t-shirt in order to support their business venture.

I agree with most things they support, but there are times, no matter how much I love someone, that I disagree with them. That's how it is for me in this particular instance. It isn't the idea I disagree with, it is the implementation and quite frankly, the boring clothing line they've put together.

In find it interesting that you felt it necessary to comment that this was my first post around here. What do you mean to imply by mentioning it? Is my opinion is not valid or as important as someone who posts here often?

To address your comment, I'm pretty much a lurker around these here parts. I don't find much to comment on, but this is a topic that I find of interest. I would think that all sides of an important issue such as this would be welcome for discussion.
:

Of course it's limited and narrow in its appeal. It's on the same floor as friggin $400 dress shirts and $950 jackets, and in that context it will do just fine. When I got my Edun stuff, the salesguy said it's their most popular line, and I believe him since it was the cheapest line at Saks!

Thanks, Ladera Heights - I know that there are people out here supporting EDUN, whether we make $20,000 a year or $200,000 a year.

Let's just all agree that fair trade should be a greater part of all trade.

:yes:

Back
Top Bottom