Review: ‘Bono in Conversation With Michka Assayas’*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/11632bonobook_thumb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Devlin Smith, Contributing Editor

Whether it was intentional or not, it's completely fitting that Bono's eyes are downcast in the cover photo of the new book, "Bono in Conversation With Michka Assayas," now available from Riverhead Books. Like in the picture, taken by frequent U2 photographer Andrew MacPherson, throughout the conversations captured in this book Bono can best be described as evasive.

In a series of conversations between Bono and Assayas, a French music journalist, held between late 2002 and summer 2004, a variety of topics are covered, including politics, religion, music and family life. All of this makes for a truly great premise, one that promises to deliver an honest portrait of the man behind the sunglasses. Unfortunately, that doesn't come to pass.

It's hard to place blame for why this book didn't reach its full potential. Is it because Assayas asked softball questions? Is it because Bono was too guarded in his answers? The truth certainly lies somewhere in between.

The majority of Assayas' questions aren't uncomfortably probing and his follow-ups do tend to let Bono off the hook for any aloofness his original answers may have. Maybe the author didn't want to offend his subject with difficult questions, but maybe there had been difficult questions that were cut out in the final editing by Bono, who did have last-look privileges over the manuscript.

11632bonobook.jpg

Even when the questions do try to dig a little deeper, such as when asking Bono about his relationship with his family growing up, the singer resorts to sharing the same little anecdotes anyone who's read a handful of Bono interviews will be all too familiar with. Bono's other tactic to non-answering questions is over-analyzing his own past and hiding behind philosophies and psychobabble. A few times he flat-out refused to answer.

Some of my favorite Bono-isms and oft-repeated phrases that appeared in this book include:
"Three men living alone in a house"
"Never trust a performer" (or cowboy, man in shades, etc.)
"We ran away to join the circus"
"I'm not a cheap date"
"God spare us from whinging rock stars"

Answering a question about his father, Bono says, "I wanted to get into the conversation where I could actually ask him why he was the way he was. I have discovered some interesting family history since, which is extraordinary. It's not something I want to talk about now. But no, he would disappear into silence and wit."

Like father, like son, it seems. Of course, nothing is requiring Bono to reveal things about himself, his family or his past that he doesn't want to. Nothing, that is, except for the fact that he signed on for this project. What's the point of participating in something like this, an undertaking that Bono himself describes as being like therapy several times in the book, if you're not going to surrender to it? Why hold back?

While Bono's responses didn't provide the insights I was expecting, Assayas' descriptions of the singer did help flesh out this portrait of the singer. Mentions of things like the Hewson family spending the morning in bed together gave me a better idea of who Bono is (primarily a dedicated, loving family man) than anything the man said about himself.

Nearly two years ago I saw an exhibit of Bono's paintings for the "Peter and The Wolf" project and really felt, through these canvases, that I was getting a look at who Bono truly is. Sometimes I get that same feeling from U2's music. Maybe with all these other avenues for self-expression, Bono didn't see the need to lay his soul bare for Assayas and for everyone reading the book.

Yes, I agree with you, and said so in another thread. We're given small glimpses of who he is, but in the end he remains, like his father, an enigma.

TheBrazilianFly said:
Shit, now I'm a little sad that I ordered this book... :huh:

Oh no, don't feel that way, Fly. It's still a very good read, with some extremely entertaining anecdotes, and some very insightful comments about the other band members. You'll enjoy it.

biff said:

Oh no, don't feel that way, Fly. It's still a very good read, with some extremely entertaining anecdotes, and some very insightful comments about the other band members. You'll enjoy it.

Cool, cause the book just arrived! :happy: :hyper:

I really agree with Devlin's assessment..there are a lot of rehashed comments in this book and I found myself getting a bit frustrated with Bono's reluctance to stay on topic. Not that he ever really does stay on topic lol, but a direct answer minus the Bonoisms would have been nice.

That said, this is still a very good book and definately worth the price. I totally agree with what biff said about the amusing anecdotes and insightful comments about the other band members. :up:

One flaw I see with your review is that you have treated this book as if it was a series of interviews, rather than conversations. Conversations have a natural flow, tend to be more random and jump around topics as a natural rule. Personallly, the candidness Bono expressed regarding faith and beliefs made the purchase more than worthwhile to me. I'm not sure what people wanted from this book. Did you want a "tell all"...did you want to hear about the wild nights drinking? What did you want but not recieve from this book? Personally, this may be one of my fave u2 or u2 related books, perhaps only second to U2 atl the End of the World...

i give this book a thumbs up.
personally, i found it to be pretty revealing.
yes there are stock bonoisms, but he does expand on many of them.
and there are a LOT of stories in here that i have never heard him tell before.
granted, at times it definitely has the "things left unsaid" feel to it that we are familiar with when it comes to bono. i see how that can be frustrating, but i think his reluctance to share certain details of his life actually reveals a lot about his character.

The major thing I noticed is that Bono is not only evasive but sometimes quite vague, particularly when it comes to Ali and his family life, which of course I understand.

But they ask Bono questions about his marriage and he totally dodges them and answers them with what I can only describe as evasive nonsense.

But I actually think I got a better sense of how Bono grew up. The part about his father was my favorite, but I'm only halfway through the book.

Another complaint I have is that the "conversations" took place between 2002-2004. And what took up most of Bono's time during this era? DATA. And while I support the cause and I'm very interested in it, I can read one of 1298 articles on it.

I didn't want to buy a book all about what Bono thinks about Africa. I've heard it before.

I agree with the review so far. I'm about half way through. I expected it to be a little more "tell all" but it is still a good read.

I just finished reading the book and feel a bit disappointed.

I had been exposed to other texts written by Assayas, albeit in his native language, and found them extremely insightful. I believe I can spare you the reasons why I found the interviewee so compelling.

I have been left with a feeling that Bono supported Assayas’ project because he could foresee a great opportunity to promote himself and his causes. If one is already hooked on both the musician and the mission, there’s little point in reading the book.

Here and there, I was left with the impression that Assayas was overwhelmed Bono’s intellectual heights, as if the journalist himself felt unable to reach the peaks the singer could quite naturally climb up to. Perhaps one of the aspects I found most gratifying was to enjoy Bono’s arguments, intellectual insights and emotional approaches to art and politics. Sadly, I found many more of them in Flanagan’s U2: At the End of the World (1996) than in this one man portrait.

Devlin Smith has put it so elegantly that there isn’t much more left to be said: “All of this makes for a truly great premise, one that promises to deliver an honest portrait of the man behind the sunglasses. Unfortunately, that doesn't come to pass.”

Back
Top Bottom