Making the most of Forum searches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spiral_Staircase

War Child
Can someone either give me some tips, or tell me where I can find some, on the syntax to use when searching the forums. The search doesn't seem to like quotes, and using multiple search terms defaults to "OR", but its doesn't seem to accept an "AND".

Just hoping to get less than 1000 results for a search.

Would appreciate any help...

Have you tried searching tags? I realize not every thread is tagged, but a lot are. Tags have a character limit of 25 though. For example, if you wanted to find threads on How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, you would find results by doing a tag search for HTDAAB.

The search function here doesnt seem to be able to use quotes or + or and, etc.

If I'm looking for something specific, like 'Magnificent' or like 'Boston GA' say in the ticket trading forum, I will search TITLES only, and in a specific forum, not the whole forum. Using the Advanced Search options of course. You can customize the searches pretty good. Also it helps to choose 'from a year ago' or 'a week ago' etc.

Depends on what you're looking for.

If it's something for a specific forum, as in, album things, or tour things, search in that specific forum. Get most recent results, search on thread titles only, that kinda stuff.

thanks for the help...those things will definitely help me refine searches. Still, I would *love* to be able to use quotes - could find anything then. Maybe someday...

The next forum software upgrade is supposed to come with better search features.

Supposedly you can search within sites using Google using something like this:

search phrase:site name

like: HTDAAB:u2.interference.com

And it's only supposed to show you results from the site you specify after the ":" though it's been hit or miss for me. Might be worth a try though? At least you can use quotes and such.

The correct syntax for those Google searches is:

site:<site name> <search parameters>

In cydewaze's example, the syntax would be:

site:u2.interference.com HTDAAB
(so you need to include the "site:" parameter explicitly)

Back
Top Bottom