Interference Plebiscite: Abdicate or Mediate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elvis said:
Cujo,

What exactly is it you're looking for?

And, what would your solutions be to the situations you've mentioned?

Joel

Well that's just it. One of the reasons why I didn't post this thread in the suggestion forum is because the subject is more of a general discussion regarding forum policy issues... engaging both members and managers. What exactly am I looking for? As I said before there's no real specific conflict, but a coincidence of several events that have caused some discrepancy (the moderator situation, and the vagueness surrounding the edge and fundraisers, etc.). Of course, you've made all of these dead issues since none of us are privy to the full gauntlet of information, except those with higher site access.

So you ask... why did I bother posting this thread? Do I have any profound suggestions? To a degree, yes, and I've alluded to the "solutions" earlier. However, they're more along the lines of preventative measures, and being more attentive towards policy consistency. Joel, maybe this is my gross misinterpretation, but in the past it seems you've handled things on a save-face basis. I realize on a forum you need to project a level of competency, but from what I've seen it's been at the expense of members' and moderators' integrity (on numerous occasions... such as revoking moderator privileges on the grounds of a "beneficial leave of absence"). I'm sure your apologies strike home with some, but there comes a time when the amount of hypocritical transgressions and retreats stretches the bounds of decency and courtesy.

Once again, what is my answer to all of this? There is simply none, dear Elvis. Unless a drastic change of administrative character occurs on your behalf, I foresee these problems happening more and more in the future. If I'm alone in thinking this, I'll take the brunt of the criticism... but it had to be said.

You'll have to excuse the lateness of my reply.

:sexywink:

cujo

Last edited:
the moderator situation, and the vagueness surrounding the edge and fundraisers, etc.
If you explain to me just what it is around the "Edge vagueness" that concerns you or you want to know then I'll take this one. But it's already been addressed in other threads.

Katey said:

If you explain to me just what it is around the "Edge vagueness" that concerns you or you want to know then I'll take this one. But it's already been addressed in other threads.

Exactly. Although I still have my suspicions, there's obviously a limitation that's preventing you folks from being able to address them. Again, this thread isn't about one specific incongruity, and dwelling on any in isolation starts to take away from the larger issue.

understood on not wanting to derail..however I don't know what your suspicions are on this so I can't address them or speak to any limitations ????

Last edited:
There are doubts (brought forth by many), and I have a feeling they will be substantiated in the near future. Until then, I'll just remain as another irrational voice.

cujo said:
There are doubts (brought forth by many), and I have a feeling they will be substantiated in the near future.

If those doubts are substantiated, and I don't think they will be, then this site will lose all credibility, not to mention most of its members. That's a huge risk to take on Joel's part. Why would he do it?

That's a good point martha. It wouldn't make sense. But there is the possibility that the site management itself is being victimized... in that case it's more an issue of an overzealous fan, rather than a misleading administrator. Of course, it's all speculation, irregardless of whether you're an optimist or a pessimist.

cujo said:
That's a good point martha. It wouldn't make sense. But there is the possibility that the site management itself is being victimized... in that case it's more an issue of an overzealous fan, rather than a misleading administrator. Of course, it's all speculation, irregardless of whether you're an optimist or a pessimist.

For what it's worth, I complete understand your speculation. But to set the record straight - if the interview and Edge Q&A weren't real, we would have to answer to the following people:

1. U2
2. Principle Management
3. U2's lawyers
4. U2's record company
5. U2's public relations firm

None of these have contacted us, and we have contact with quite a few parties on that list. As the interview and Q&A is still on the site, I would think that would be reason enough to believe in its validity. U2 and Principle Management are very aware of what the major U2 fansites are doing, and this would never be allowed and would be shut down immediate if anything we have published regarding recent articles was false or fabricated. I have worked in the music industry, I know the ropes.

The Content Team are very thorough when we check out such things, especially something as big as an interview with U2, and The Edge agreeing to Q&A with members of Interference.com. We adore you all, and that is why we work so hard all day every day to bring you the best Content we can provide. We are each professionals in our fields away from Interference, and there is no way any of us would sacrifice our credibility and the site's just to make our readerbase think we had an "in" with the band. Have a little more faith in us than that.

We can only assume that Joel has taken the time to verify IP addresses, confirm certain things with U2 management, etc. instead of taking it as face value that this is indeed THE Edge.

Bono's American Wife said:
We can only assume that Joel has taken the time to verify IP addresses, confirm certain things with U2 management, etc. instead of taking it as face value that this is indeed THE Edge.

Joel isn't the only one on the Interference Team that deals with this sort of thing. And yes behind the scenes we have done plenty of research, and have no reason whatsoever to doubt that The Edge is really The Edge.

But like I said, if it wasn't real, it wouldn't still be on the main site for all to see.

It really comes down to as mentioned many times either you believe it or you don't simple as that, now on my end I don't so much care what people believe,however I do when it comes to the reputation of this site and those who run it. I wouldnt look for confirmation from PM or anywhere else I would guess they would not comment when asked for many reasons..mostly because this is something Edge has done in his free time , yes it may concern U2. And it is something he has done out of good faith to the fans..despite continued speculation. Now I can understand doubts too especially from those involved with other fansites who might doubt..however what I can't appreciate is the way they might act which in my opinion is bad form.

Having said all that I am confident all of this wil come out in the wash ,I have complete trust in Edge, and all I ask is he send me a pony(ha kidding):wink:

Now if we are to question anyone on " is this Edge"..best direct those towards me and my credibility, rather then Joel or anyone else..but really enough said on the whole topic it's like going around and around and there is no possible way to make everyone happy although we do our best to try..

So again if what we have provided is not enough then really nothing more we can do.. you have to take this site as the fans doing the best they can for the fans..it takes alot of energy for these guys to bring you the things they do

I didn't know you were Canadian.
Canadians are lovely people..:)

Last edited:
martha said:
It's a long and pointless story.

In a strange way, that statement sums up my thread quite nicely.

Last edited:
Perhaps what is confusing about The Edge thing is we've heard so many things by now: it is him, it's not him and someone is pretending to be him (I even heard Elvis is really "the Edge" - and wasn't there a time way back when Elvis was posing as Edge and later revealed himself?), Dalkey Beach is the Edge - and all the moderators were quite reluctant to give more info.

Last edited:
martha said:
Someone used it in another thread, I made a comment, and that person (I forget who) said that it was some kinda Canadian English.

I can assure you it's not!:eyebrow: Your source was defaming a fine nation.

Edited to add, U2Girl, I agree there has been a lot of (it seems to me unnecessary) vagueness that has added to the confusion.

Last edited:
Really?
I don't recall any consistency regarding Dalkey Beach (apart from shying away from the debate about him being Edge or not and closing threads regarding that), or in fact The Edge (and lack of him lately) except basically "trust us".
If the mods have connections to official sites, it shoud not be too hard to get official confirmation from the U2 organisation whether band member(s) have accounts on this site.

Come to think of it, I think threads questioning Edge being Edge got closed pretty fast too.
If he's been posting for days, why the sudden stop?

U2girl said:
Come to think of it, I think threads questioning Edge being Edge got closed pretty fast too.
If he's been posting for days, why the sudden stop?

What do you mean the sudden stop?

OK I just noticed he was in the Zoo station as a opener thread.

I mean he had a few posts in EYKIW, he reportedly went to PLEBA and SNAP...I don't think he appeared ever since. (till today, that is)

People have been wary regarding the "I'm a fan of mr Elvis" comment he made and the use of smilies. Or the lack of Edge posts recently.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
If the mods have connections to official sites, it shoud not be too hard to get official confirmation from the U2 organisation whether band member(s) have accounts on this site.

With all due respect, this statement is pretty ludicrous. Could you imagine calling Principle and asking them to confirm, for example, that Bono likes to go to the supermarket around 3:00 on Tuesdays? They would, I'm sure, say that they do not discuss the band members' personal schedules with casual inquirers. Surely they would know that while the Edge has chosen to reveal himself, the other members who may (or may not) post here and the members of management who may (or may not) post here are entitled to a measure of privacy and anonymity until they choose not to exercise it (as Edge has).

Certainly one of the best arguments for the authenticity of Edge and anyone else who may crawl out of the blue woodwork is that nothing has happened to Interland! Surely, if the interview or Ask the Edge or anything was fake, we would have been threatened with legal action! Faking something like this is very very serious, and the RIAA and management would surely take it as such. Obviously, since this site is still standing and in fact flourishing, no one has a problem with what we've posted...because it is not, in fact, fake.

I understand that some of this may seem hard to believe, but please let me know when someone gets through to Principle about Larry's laundry schedule or when Bono typically makes it to the post office. ;)

OK I just noticed he was in the Zoo station as a opener thread. I mean he had a few posts in EYKIW, he reportedly went to PLEBA and SNAP...I don't think he appeared ever since. (till today, that is) People have been wary regarding the "I'm a fan of mr Elvis" comment he made and the use of smilies. Or the lack of Edge posts recently.

I'm sure Edge would be very to know we are all concerned with his posting counts, the man is busy he comes in and posts when he can which instead of appreciating we have to poke and prode.Okay so if you simply don't believe it's him thats fine your not going to get any proof you need here that will satisfy you. An as mentioned before it is highly unlikely any "official site" will comment on Edge being here..although I am sure fans have tried on top of that it's not the Mods responsibility to deal with U2's Management ..So I guess you just believe or not and yes sure I can understand people might have doubts but really all that will be said has been said.. I'm sure he's having a bit of a chuckle at all the speculation and coming in ..having a bit of fun when he can:wink:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom