Bono In Grand Rapids, Michigan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hells yes! I've lived in southeast GR my entire life. Bono/U2 haven't been here since they played the Fountain Street Church in 1981. Now, I've just got to find some connection to the GR Econ club.

I'm on vacation right now on the shittiest dial-up connection ever, so I can't do any research. Anyone know if this event will be open to the public? I know the GR econ club is basically a bunch of rich old farts (we've got several families in this area worth more than twice that of more famous gazillioniares like Donald Trump) so I suppose I should start pestering my relatives with connections....

OK, Rich Uncle is a no-go, but I'm currently working on all of the business, economics, and accounting professors at my college....someone's GOT to be a member of this stupid club if it's cool enough for Bono to be speaking there!

Grrr! Everyone's saying "no, sorry....but check with so-and-so!" This is networking at its finest, people, when Bono is involved of course!

I'm not in yet, but getting closer!.... :hyper:

I really have to go to this thing. Not just because it's Bono, but I've lived in GR my entire life and I'm a business/econ/third world development student. Or maybe I'm just bitter because U2 hasn't been here since 1981, despite the fact that we have a larger population and a bigger arena than some places they've gone.

I wonder if Bono will be doing anything else during this trip. I can't figure out why he agreed to speak at this club. Honestly, I've never heard of this club before (there are several other prestigious ones that relatives or people I work for belong to). I can't help but wonder if he's meeting privately with the local gazillionaires to talk AIDS in Africa. The Van Andel and De Vos families of Alticor are both gazillionaires, among the richest families in the country, but they are also very into philanthropy. Same goes for the Meijers. Everything in town has the name 'Van Andel', 'De Vos', or 'Mejier' (arena, theater, museum, convention center, school auditoriums, gardens...). I wouldn't be surprised if Bono's taking this opportunity to go after their support/money, like how he met with Warren Buffet while doing the DATA thing in Lincoln, Nebraska in 2002.

Last edited:
Check their member directory, Beth. Maybe there's someone on there you have connections to? I found one person I can have someone else call in a favor to, if that's what it takes. They have lists of their more prominent members on the club's site.

If you're coming anyway, you've got to swing by for a visit!

Hey guys, look at this:
http://www.econclubgr.com/about.htm

It says anyone can join and pay special dues.
The Economic Club of Grand Rapids
220 Lyon Street NW, Suite 220
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503

Telephone: (616) 454-1883
Fax: (616) 454-5646
E-Mail: econclubgr@aol.com

Maybe you won't need special connections after all? Somebody inquire about it anyhow, just think you being at a meeting where Bono is speaking!!!

bono_212 said:
It's a two hour drive to Grand Rapids :hmm:

May fifth is a Friday

Don't get your Bono speaking dates mixed up.

Bono is in GR on 4 May.

He is in my area on 5 May. ( I only had to pay $50 to join "the club" down here - thankfully not $175!) :wink:

Coincidentally, I remember a few threads about two months ago with posts by several of the same people posting here now claiming that it was "too expensive" to attend these events for them!.

I wonder what has changed in the last two months for them?

Just a friendly question. :sexywink:

I would assume because they are within an hour or two hours drive of Grand Rapids, as they have already said in this thread. And the question didn't sound too friendly to me.

Good luck eep, bls, Lies and everyone else in the Michigan area :hug: :up:.

Last edited:
kellyahern said:
I would assume because they are within an hour or two hours drive of Grand Rapids, as they have already said in this thread. And the question didn't sound too friendly to me.

Good luck eep, bls, Lies and everyone else in the Michigan area :hug: :up:.

careful, next thing you know the friendly questions will turn into claims of innuendo's and other inappropriate comments about :bono:

:|

Subway must be paying an awful lot these days.........

I wonder if the people of New Orleans will benefit from the "new job" or if anyone is still worried about getting their own free hand outs as they're "poor" as well.

Good luck to everyone that is going to see Bono in MI! :wave:

Last edited:
Can we all try to keep things civil?

I live in MI and $175 is a bit rich for my blood - no guarantees you'd get to see him up close or get a handshake even if you can get inside. If I can't get a hookup I will probably hang out near the facility :shrug:

Jamila said:

Coincidentally, I remember a few threads about two months ago with posts by several of the same people posting here now claiming that it was "too expensive" to attend these events for them!.

I wonder what has changed in the last two months for them?

Just a friendly question. :sexywink:

I'll answer - I'm a business communications/third world development student and I go to school IN Grand Rapids and I've lived IN Grand Rapids my entire life. I'm a U2 fan, I've lived in southeast GR for 21 years, and I'm an economics student. To me it only seems logical that I express a genuine interest in this event. Not only that but as a college senior getting a degree in a related field, we are always encouraged by the school to attend these types of events, regardless of who happens to be the keynote speaker. I have absolutely no interest in stalking for Bono outside his hotel, even though if he does stay over in the city I can guarantee where he'll be staying. So, number one, I don't have to pay for plane tickets, hotel rooms, or even gas to make this 'trip". I live about 7 minutes southeast of DeVos Place and will probably have to split a $5 parking charge for the DeVos ramp. Paying for plane tickets and a hotel room to see Bono speak? Never. The only time I've ever flown is to cross an ocean. Number two, I'm not paying for a membership to the club. Not to mention, academic memberships are not $175. Four years in a pretty small business program gives you the opportunity to make some great friends and connections with faculty that are obviously members of these types of clubs. Number three, there are several events that have been held here in GR at DeVos place and our convention center on-campus recently that HAVE been too expensive for me to attend. Luckily this is one event that is not. Having grown up in this area, knowing exactly which people will also be attending this event, it would be stupid of me NOT to go since regardless of Bono's attendance, it's a great business networking opportunity. I'm glad I've found a faculty member that I respect and trust to help me set this up.

Just a friendly answer :sexywink:

:rolleyes:

xtal said:
Hey guys, look at this:
http://www.econclubgr.com/about.htm

It says anyone can join and pay special dues.
The Economic Club of Grand Rapids
220 Lyon Street NW, Suite 220
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503

Telephone: (616) 454-1883
Fax: (616) 454-5646
E-Mail: econclubgr@aol.com

Maybe you won't need special connections after all? Somebody inquire about it anyhow, just think you being at a meeting where Bono is speaking!!!

There is an additional cost for attending the dinner. The registration forms for dinner tickets have already gone out to registered members. I'm not sure if it's too late to apply, but even still you've got to be representing a business within the greater Grand Rapids area.

i'd much rather hang around devos then try and get in the club, pay my dues, then request tickets to the dinner.

if anyones up for hanging out let me know. i live in kzoo!

It's official, I'm going! Myself and a few other Interferencers that are Grand Rapids natives. I'm so pumped! Even my grandpa was teasing me about this this morning. I didn't know he knew who Bono was. My dad and I were talking about it because my dad thinks his friend is probably part of this club and my grandpa says, "yeah he's (Bono) is coming here!" and I said "yeah, and I think I can go!" and grandpa says "but don't you have to be a member of the club?" and I said "yes, but members are allowed to bring their guests!" :D

I'm so excited, especially since it's perfect timing! Thursday afternoons and evenings I work at my internship company, but since this is an economics club, I'm sure my boss would encourage me to attend the dinner instead, plus the big event I'm planning for the internship takes place on April 29, so that will be out of the way, and I'm presenting my web development project on April 19 already.

LivLuv glad you're getting to go :D:up: be sure to let us know what it was like :)

Everyone trying to go, best of luck (especially SG :wink: )

i wish he would do things like this in UK/Europe, it would be interesting to see him outside of U2 and hear him speak, though i doubt that will ever happen over here :lol:

have fun ladies :wink:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
It's official, I'm going! Myself and a few other Interferencers that are Grand Rapids natives. I'm so pumped! Even my grandpa was teasing me about this this morning. I didn't know he knew who Bono was. My dad and I were talking about it because my dad thinks his friend is probably part of this club and my grandpa says, "yeah he's (Bono) is coming here!" and I said "yeah, and I think I can go!" and grandpa says "but don't you have to be a member of the club?" and I said "yes, but members are allowed to bring their guests!" :D

I'm so excited, especially since it's perfect timing! Thursday afternoons and evenings I work at my internship company, but since this is an economics club, I'm sure my boss would encourage me to attend the dinner instead, plus the big event I'm planning for the internship takes place on April 29, so that will be out of the way, and I'm presenting my web development project on April 19 already.

Congratulations! :hug: :up: :)

Back
Top Bottom