Bono In Grand Rapids, Michigan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bono_212 said:
I'm really thinking about going just to hang around and maybe get a photo (i'm such a loser :reject:) it's just that Grand Rapids is SOOOO close, and i'd be kicking myself for weeks if i pass the chance

if it's so close by transportation there's no reason to feel silly about trying tio see him, if not meet him. :hyper::yes:

I hope everyone has tons of fun!

That last dress looks great, liveluv! I thought of you right away upon hearing of this event--knew you'd find a way to get to it! It sounds like lots of people from MI are managing a trip...I'm kinda sad I didn't try ....sure it'll be very interesting to hear and see, and even fun to hang about hoping to catch a glimpse if there are other plebans to play with!
I'll be here in Ann Arbor, hopefully soaking up good Bono's-in-the-state energy and waiting on some good accounts of it all!
Cheers everyone!

Souly said:

Nice shoes :sexywink:

God help me, these shoes will be the death of me! I've never worn any sort of heel before. My feet are so bad, if I was a guy, I'd never pass a military physical exam. I compromised on those because somehow they are wide enough for my feet and the thong/flip-flop thing keeps them from rubbing and sliding, but I couldn't even walk 5 feet with them on in the store! When I'm at home doing chores, I wear them around the house for practice. I think I've got it - walk with the hips, not the knees - but we'll see :huh:

greety said:
Have a ball you girls !!
:wink:

Ditto! :D

Sounds a bit like the speach-thingy he did here in Copenhagen in January, except there was no dinner since he had to go to Germany the same day! :)

Well, lots of luck to everyone who's going - don't forget to take a few pics if possible! :wink:

This is so sad :sad:

I was gonna go just you know for the CHANCE of seeing him

but now this girl at work demanded I work on Friday and I didn't know about it until yesterday when I saw the schedule at work

I'm in tears over here...this really could've been my chance

ok Im not REALLY crying but yaknow

I'm heading out to GR in the morning and plan to be lurking around the entrance by late afternoon - my sis-in-law thinks there is only 1 main driveway onto the property? :shrug:

Hope to see some of you there :wave:

My friends in G.R. say rhere are very strict media limits for the event.

TV cameras can only film at Bono-approved times during the speech.

No Bono press conference.

No photography except for an AP photographer.

Still deciding what to wear, since I have a 2 1/2 hour drive...

bonosloveslave said:
I'm heading out to GR in the morning and plan to be lurking around the entrance by late afternoon - my sis-in-law thinks there is only 1 main driveway onto the property? :shrug:

Hope to see some of you there :wave:

You wanna stop over sometime? I think Laura has to work and I think Erin will be with her, but Renee and I were talking about going down early to lurk around and get a decent parking spot. I suggested she and I meet at my house (since I need a ride down). If you want, you could follow us so we can stick together for a while.

^Sure - my sis and I were gonna do lunch, she was gonna drive me by there, she has worked events at DeVos before so she has an idea of how things might be set up. If you want me to give you a little warning, PM me a phone#, I think I remember where your house is...

OK, can you PM me your cell # b/c I don't have one and I don't know Renee's off-hand. I can get it tomorrow, but by then you probably won't be able to check the PM.

When Bono Comes To Town
Posted: May 3, 2006 01:52 PM

GRAND RAPIDS – They rolled into town on their first tour, four Irish lads all fighting colds. Scarves wrapped around their necks, sniffling, they surveyed the stage set up for that night's performance at Fountain Street Church.

"I've never played in a church before," Bono said.

24 years later, Bono returns to Grand Rapids – without his U2 bandmates – as the keynote speaker at the Grand Rapids Economic Club's annual dinner on Thursday. Since that day when he and Adam Clayton, Larry Mullen, Jr. and The Edge performed in front of wildly enthusiastic fans at Fountain Street Church, Bono has played for college students, kings and presidents.

His speech Thursday continues his work through The ONE Campaign to fight the global AIDS epidemic and extreme poverty. His efforts to provide debt relief to the poorest nations have granted him access to world leaders, and his visibility and knowledge of these issues have earned him many accolades, including Time Magazine's Person of the Year.

In choosing him, Time said, "Bono charmed and bullied and morally blackmailed the leaders of the world’s richest countries into forgiving $40 billion in debt owed by the poorest." The current issue of Time includes him in the list of "100 People Who Shape Our World."

But the early steps along the road brought U2 to Grand Rapids.

"I got a call from Tim McGrath at Premier Talent Agency," said local concert promoter Alan Bashara. "He said, 'I got this new band, they're gonna be huge.' You know, the standard hype job."

But Bashara took a chance, and the third concert he ever booked for his company, Blue Suede Shows, was U2.

"Their first album (Boy) was out, and they'd released the single, 'I Will Follow.' It was just the beginning of MTV, and that was one of the few videos they had, so they played it all the time."

Bashara partnered with Fountain Street Church and WLAV-FM to promote the show. He bought local commercials on MTV, and tickets started selling well.

"We were worried, though," Bashara said, "that no one would buy the tickets because the Stones were playing at the Silverdome around the same time."

1080 people showed up, "and it was a high energy show. All the kids were standing on chairs. I'm telling you, it was a new level of performance for a rock band."

Today, U2 is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and Bono is an internationally known voice for social justice. But on December 5, 1981, they were a punk band from Dublin who earned $2000 for a night at Fountain Street Church.

"I made about $600 profit," Bashara said with a chuckle.

==========================================

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?s=4851292

They said no cameras at the DC event too, but about 100 flashes went off at the start. If you are creative, you can smuggle in just about anything.

bono_212 said:
This is so sad :sad:

I was gonna go just you know for the CHANCE of seeing him

but now this girl at work demanded I work on Friday and I didn't know about it until yesterday when I saw the schedule at work

I'm in tears over here...this really could've been my chance

ok Im not REALLY crying but yaknow

oh that stinks...
i am sorry that happened!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

You wanna stop over sometime? I think Laura has to work and I think Erin will be with her, but Renee and I were talking about going down early to lurk around and get a decent parking spot. I suggested she and I meet at my house (since I need a ride down). If you want, you could follow us so we can stick together for a while.

I'm in Grand Rapids, sitting here with Renee!!! :hyper:

silvrlvr said:
My friends in G.R. say rhere are very strict media limits for the event.

TV cameras can only film at Bono-approved times during the speech.

No Bono press conference.

No photography except for an AP photographer.

Still deciding what to wear, since I have a 2 1/2 hour drive...

.....How do you know all this?? :eyebrow:

Have a great time Lies, and everyone else! :hug:

I can't wait to hear about your experiences, complete with photographs if possible! :D

It sounds like it's going to be fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom