Please - Chapter 26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceRyan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
So it looks like this will be a 27 chapter story. According to my document - 423 pages. This is very exciting because I have never ever completed a work like this. Maybe (if I can get my head out of U2's ass) I could write a real work of fiction.

These belong to me and you. They are not real. If only....

The Style Council - You're The Best Thing - YouTube

Miami wasn't nearly as hot as the last time they were here. The palm trees seemed a little browner. It was strange seeing Christmas lights strung all over them. Faith said that it didn't feel like Christmas when it was so warm. As the car zipped down the street, Faith looked out the window.

"It's just weird seeing a palm tree next to a plastic Santa." Faith said.

"I think you are cut off from anymore holiday shopping," Bono said buried under shopping bags. "We're going to need a separate plane just for presents."

"I've never really had any money or anyone to shop for before. Am I spoiling them?" By them, she meant Bono's girls.

He nodded. "Yes, but it's very sweet." Truthfully, he couldn't be more delighted following her through a mall while her eyes lit up at each new toy. This Christmas would be so much more amazing than last year.

They bustled through the hotel towards their room.

"Faith?" Her brother called.

Faith dropped her bags. "John!!" He gathered her up in his arms.

"How are you?" He held her at arms length. "You look great. Are you taking better care of yourself than the last time you were here?"

She nodded. "Much. I have help though."

Bono offered his hand to John. "Good see you again."

"Thank you so much for arranging all this. And for taking care of her," his voice softened.

Bono smiled. "She takes much better care of me." He pulled Lisa into a hug. "Come on, let's get a drink to celebrate. "

It was strange being back where one life ended and a new started. They were in the same suite. It was almost a homecoming. Oddly enough, Love is A Blind Ambition became a big hit for Strict Machine. The video of her singing it in Miami before fainting was released for its raw emotion. Grammy nominations were to be announced any day with Strict Machine rumored to get the nod. A part of Faith held her breath. Something had to give somewhere. Her life had taken on a dreamlike quality. Upon her return to New York, she would add a new house key to her ring. Arrangements had been made for her clothes and things to be moved to Bono's penthouse. She would sublet until June 30 when her lease was up. After that, who knew?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
While Bono took Lisa and John to lunch, Faith worked on a new song with the band. They were diligently writing new material in preparation for returning to the studio. Faith and Alex wanted a battery of songs to choose from. They were slated to begin January 4th working until February 14th. Sarcastically, Sam asked if Faith could live without her boyfriend on Valentine's Day. After just missing his head with a mostly empty water bottle, she vowed to join Edge and Alex just to spite him.

Faith looked back at the other three. "Think it's good enough for tonight? Should we just play it safe?"

"It's slow, but I like it. What do we cut?" Ryan asked.

"Shine. I would say Blind Ambition but since it's a hit, we have to keep that in. We could go back to the original version of Times Like These," Alex suggested. She just wanted to get off the stage.

She was very aware that Morleigh and Edge were lurking around. It was apparent that Morleigh had time to think in the last few months. She turned up on tour ready to dote on Edge. She hung on him like a coat. It made Alex stay clear of them. While Faith jotted down the lyrics for the new song, Alex hung over her shoulder. The words were definitely meant for Bono, but she identified with them as well.

Faith looked over at Sam. "Is it okay with you?"

"Yeah, it's a good song," he shrugged. He was tired. The tour was taking a toll on him. He wanted to set a date for the wedding. Alex had been so distracted by the tour she hadn't put much thought into setting a date or anything. They were engaged but not much had changed. He was going to suggest they buy a place together after the new year. Somehow, the new tour with U2 was going to fuck that up. He didn't understand why he and Alex still had separate rooms, while Faith and Bono did not. That was weird. When she was with Larry, they didn't share a room.

Faith nodded. "Okay then. Should we run through it one more time?"

She knew the others thought it was silly to break out a new song the final night of a tour. She wanted to do it in Seattle, but the lyrics weren't finished and the end fell apart. She worked with Alex to tighten it up and rework the words. As she looked back at the catalog of music written on the tour, she realized that her emotional struggles over the last few months played out in every new song written. Songs like resolve, Sex on Fire and Let the Damage Begin all centered on the turmoil over the summer and fall. This was her first true love song to him. She didn't want to wait for him to hear it.

~~

Backstage was a mixture of excitement and sadness for the last show for the next month and a half. Crew hugged and wished each other happy holidays. Most said goodbye at the wrap up Christmas party the night before. Faith did her usual bouncing around before the show. She invited Patty to the show as a supreme act of charity. Bono was impressed that she decided that on her own. In the VIP section sat the staff that cared for Faith at the hospital. Bono was so grateful for their care and their treatment of him that he wanted to extend some kindness towards them.

Strict Machine walked on the stage to thunderous applause. She carried a bottle water and walked over to the microphone. Usually, they launched right into a song. She waved and took a big sip of water. "Now, I know to hydrate," she said with a smile.

They launched into Sex on Fire seconds later. A nervous energy filled both Faith and Alex. For Faith, it was having her mother watching her. Many nights on the tour, she took the stage and wondered if there was an anonymous woman out there watching her. Tonight, that woman was here and no longer hidden. On the surface, she didn't care what this woman thought. She'd carry on for almost 15 years without her love and guidance. Deep down, there was a little girl that wanted approval. No amount of time could kill that need. When she told Bono of her plan to invite her mother, he hugged her tightly. He didn't know if Patty really deserved it. He still couldn't wrap his head around a mother leaving her children, one very sick. Somehow, Faith's heart was big enough to extend an olive branch to this woman.

Alex on the other hand felt restless with the possibility of returning home to her life with Sam. She felt his impatience with the wedding. He mentioned getting a place together. Somewhere in her heart, she wanted those things too. Her eyes kept darting to the stare Edge bore into her from the side stage where he stood with Bono. Where was Morleigh, she wondered. She wiped her brow with the back of her hand. Maybe she needed time off from the tour too. All this stress would have her in a hospital bed as well.

Faith stepped to the front of the stage. "I want to thank you for your patience. I am sorry that my little episode delayed our time together and more importantly, your time with U2," She waited for the cheers to subside. "We want to thank U2 for giving us an incredible opportunity. If not for them, I'd still be slogging coffee in New York. Next time we come around I doubt our stage will be this huge." She gestured to large structure hanging over her head. "But we might be able to see you out there. We are going to play a new song for you. World premiere. Forgive us if it is rough. We just finished it today. Thank you very much again."

Alex moved to the piano. That was a first. What Sam loved about this song is that it was heavy on the bass. Standing in his usual spot, Bono crossed his arms as Faith tapped her foot to the beat. It was a sensual beat Sam thumped out on the bass. Faith sang in a sultry voice.

"And I was lost for words
In your arms
Attempting to make sense
Of my aching heart
If I could just be
Everything and everyone to you
This life would just be so easy"

She smiled off stage to the man she loved.

"Not enough time for all
That I want for you
Not enough time for every kiss
And every touch and all the nights
I wanna be inside you"

He melted on the spot. Edge looked over to see the dopey look of adoration on his face. Sometimes, they were so cute it was sickening.

"We will make time stop
For the two of us
Make time stop
And listen for our sighs

Not enough time for all
That I want for you
And every touch and all the nights
I wanna be inside you

In our fight against the end
Making love we are immortal
We are the last two left on earth
And I was lost for words
In your arms
Attempting to make sense of
My aching heart
If I could just be everything
And everyone to you

Not enough time for all
That I want for you
Not enough time for all my love
Not enough time for every touch"

Faith winked at him. She had written a song for him. And it was such a lovely song. He wanted to hear it again. He hoped that someone out there captured this moment so he could relive it. He longed to pull her into his arms and kiss with her everything. But she had a set to finish and he needed to get ready for the stage.

Bono pulled her aside as she made her way towards the dressing room. "Hey, that song...."

She smiled. "Yes? Oh, did you think it was about you?" She teased.

He kissed her. "Thank you. That's the most amazing thing anyone has ever done for me." He knew he was mooning at the moment, but he didn't care how goofy he looked.

She beamed. "I'm glad you liked it."

"I loved it!" he cried. "I'm hoping Joe made a recording of it." He pressed his lips to hers in a soul shaking kiss. "Sing for me later?"

Unable to form words, she nodded. And he was off.

~~~

Larry had no idea why Bono and Edge felt the need to work on the setlist and order with 2 weeks left in the tour. Miami had been dropped. He thought it might make it back for the show in Miami, but no. The duet with Faith came later and later. It was moved from before Bullet to after Velvet Dress. Larry thought it was a bit sick for him to have Faith needlessly watch him grind up against a fan right before their duet. Faith didn't seem bothered by it. Like the night before, Faith was brought to the second stage to wait until after Velvet Dress to be brought on stage for their duet. Bono had a particular fire in him tonight. Last show before spending time with his girls - all of them. He had told them over the phone that Faith was coming. The squeals of delight were music to his ears. His life that had been in shambles last December was finally coming together.

He saw Faith standing with security as he started If You Wear that Velvet Dress. Slowly, he descended off the stage. He glanced at Faith before he looked into the crowd of female fans.

"Tonight the moon is playing tricks again
feeling sea sick again
and the whole world could just dissolve... into a glass of water"

She always found this song to very sensual. She watched as female fans clung to him as he danced them around singing in their ear. Sure, she'd admit a hint of jealousy - even if she would be beside him in bed later. She could give him up for 5 minutes to another woman. Tonight, he came back to her.

"I've been good 'cause I know you don't want me to
do you really want me to be blue as you...
it's her daylight that gets me through"

He offered her his hand with that sly smile. There was a roar from the crowd as they realized it was Faith being pulled in close tonight.

"Tonight the moon has drawn its curtains
it's a private show no one else going to know
I'm wanting

sunlight sunlight fills my room
it's sharp and it's clear
but nothing at all like the moon...

but if you wear that velvet dress
but if you wear that velvet dress"

They danced slowly, his cheek pressed to hers. He kissed her hand before Edge started their duet. There was talk of dropping the duet for Australia, especially since Strict Machine wouldn't be joining them for a few weeks. Lacing his fingers through hers, he led her back to the main stage where they would finish out what could be the last duet of the tour. Together, they took a bow.

"Faith Sullivan, ladies and gentlemen," he said.

He nodded to Edge who went directly into All I Want is You. Faith was about to make a hasty exit after her final bow, but he held her hand tightly. She looked at him questioningly. He smiled as he began to sing. Was he really serenading her on stage? Was this for her mothers' or brothers' benefit?

"You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
You say you want
Your story to remain untold

But all the promises we make
From the cradle to the grave
When all I want is you"

The sea of thousands disappeared as he stared into her eyes. She wondered if this was his response to her song to him.

"You say you'll give me
A highway with no one on it
Treasure just to look upon it
All the riches in the night

You say you'll give me
Eyes in a moon of blindness
A river in a time of dryness
A harbour in the tempest
But all the promises we make
When all I want is you"

He pulled her in close and swayed with her. She wondered if he would keep her on the stage for the entire song. Looking at Adam and Larry, this was not in the setlist. He touched her cheek as he sang. He fiddled with her battery pack moving it further to the side as it dug into her while they danced.

"You say you want
Your love to work out right
To last with me through the night"

Suddenly, he got down on one knee in front of her. Something was in his hand. Faith's head spun as she saw a flash of gold and a sparkle. Her heart told her exactly what was happening even if her head didn't believe it. In his fingers, he presented the most beautiful diamond ring she'd ever seen. In his eyes, nothing but love as a large grin broke across his face. She couldn’t believe that he was proposing to her in those ridiculous bubble pants.

"You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
Your love not to grow cold

All the promises we break
When all I want is you

You...all I want is...
You...all I want is...
You...all I want is...
You...

He motioned for the band to take it down. Larry felt numb. He knew this was coming - eventually. He didn't expect it to be so public. Adam looked back at him. He was concentrating on not having any expression on his face.

"Faith, I love you and want nothing more in my life than to be with you forever. I want a family with you. I want a lifetime with you. Faith, make me whole. Please be my wife," he held up the ring to her. "Please."

Her mouth hung open. Behind him, she saw Alex, Ryan and John beaming off stage.

He hopped to his feet and took both her hands in his. He pushed the mouthpiece aside. His heart pounded through his whole body. He had planned this moment as soon as he heard her say 'I love you'. He wanted the world to know. He thought about a quiet dinner. Maybe even on Christmas under a beautiful tree. But he fell in love with her on that stage. This is where he needed to make it forever.

Pressing his forehead to hers, his eyes were filled with hope. "I love you. Please be my wife." 
The stadium hushed as 30 thousand people held their breath.

She smiled. "Yes. Absolutely yes."

Swinging her around, he kissed her as the crowd roared. Tears spilled over her cheeks as he slipped the ring on to her finger. She was his. It was official. Edge turned to the back of the stage and wiped his eye. Larry bit his lip. His blood ran cold as he focused on the song. He wasn’t sure the exact moment he lost Faith to Bono. But over the last few weeks, he’d seen them together. He knew that what he felt for Faith was not like the way Bono felt.

"My future wife," Bono's voice choked with emotion. "Faith Sullivan.....Hewson!"

The band ripped into the rest of the song. He wrapped one arm around and crushed her against him as he sang, "and they could never tear us apart." She clung to him for support. Once again on that Miami stage, she felt faint.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bono powered through the rest of show shining like a star. He couldn’t stop smiling and laughing. He had a feeling that she would say ‘yes’. But there was that split second where her mouth hung open that he wondered if it was too soon. They had been officially together for just about a month. But he knew long before then that he wanted her permanently in his life. He barreled backstage to find her. She was in the middle of circle of people hugging her when he found her. They parted to give him access. To the whistles and cheers of the crew, he threw his arms around her and planted a passionate kiss on her lips.

“Hey babe,” he whispered. “Let’s see that beautiful ring.”

“That was very subtle,” she laughed.

He ducked his head. “I know, I know. But it was on that stage I feel in love with you. I thought I lost you there. It had to be there in front of the world.”

Edge hugged them both. “Congratulations!”

“Were you on this?” she asked him.

He nodded sheepishly. “I was. This is why we started playing with the set list so you’d have no clue it was going to happen. If we did it one night, you might be suspicious.”

“Very elaborate,” she said. She leapt into John’s arms as he was ushered to her with a laminated pass. “Can you believe it?”

He winked at Bono. “I know. It’s great. I’m so happy.”

Playfully, she shoved him. “You knew too!”

John nodded. “He told me at lunch.Wanted to make sure it was okay with me.”

Slowly, everyone dissipated leaving just Faith and Bono alone. He took her hand and led her to his dressing area.

"Do you like it?" He looked down at her ring. "I was nervous as hell to have it in my pocket."

She looked at the three square stones nestled on while gold band. It was huge and beautiful. "I love it."

"Were you really surprised?" He asked.

"Yes, absolutely," her eyes were still wide with wonder. "When did you?"

"I knew I wanted to marry you that night in Greece. I probably knew in Dublin. When we left the hospital I knew I couldn't wait any longer. So, the plan started then. I did ask for Edge’s help. And I did let my intentions be known to John at lunch," he said. “For having met me once, I was surprised how thrilled he was.”

"What about the girls and Ali? I haven't even spent a lot of time with them. How do you know they'll like me?" Her heart raced.

"I've talked with both Ali and the girls. I don't think Ali was surprised it was going to happen. Maybe the timing. The girls were very excited. They can't wait to welcome you," he encircled her in his arms. "Was it too soon? I was afraid I rushed it. But when you decide that you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, you want it start that second."

"It's not too soon. I guess we'll have to set a date and figure where we'll live," her head started making lists of the practical things.

"Shh. Let's just enjoy this moment." He kissed her. He loved the feel of her mouth. Now, he would have it forever.

~~~~~~~~

After a shower, they joined everyone for a small celebration. Bono and Faith didn't leave each other's side the entire night. They were constantly touching. Sometimes, they just smiled into one anothers' eyes - oblivious to the celebrations around them. Alex sighed from the other side of the bar. That's what it was supposed to look and feel like when you get engaged, she thought. They could turn off all the lights in the place. The light emanating from them could light the entire city. She'd never seen Faith this happy. In fact, Alex was pretty sure she'd never been that happy herself.

"Are you okay?" Sam eyed her curiously.

"Yeah, why?" She started from her dreamlike state.

"You look sad," he said.

She cleared her throat. She didn't realize that she'd been so transparent. "I feel bad for Larry. It must have been tough for him to see."

Sam wrapped his arm around her shoulders. "Yeah. Poor guy." He laughed. "But I called it. I knew he was angling for Faith."

"Bono?" Alex scanned the room for Edge.

"Yep. I had no clue this would happen. Did you see it?" He asked.

"Oh, just towards the end," she lied.

Edge sat at the celebratory table with Morleigh. She was crediting herself to be the driving force behind the union. It was the duet, she declared. He saw her staring and knew they both had the same thought. It wasn't as easy for them. No one admitted to love. There was just the gnawing feeling that something wasn't quite right.

INXS - Not Enough Time - www.dalealplay.com

Couldn't find it on YouTube with Michael singing

:faint: Absolutely precious. If that isn't the best idea for a proposal ever, then I don't know what is. :cute:

And..."She couldn’t believe that he was proposing to her in those ridiculous bubble pants"...:lmao:!

I was afraid it would be cheesy. The inspiration came from Walk the Line and I just saw it something he'd do after being so closed off for so long. They are a bit adorable which means it is time to end the story before it becomes 'no I love you more' 'no I love YOU more'.

Alright, life's better than it was when I started reading this chapter. I'm finally able to finish it. Bono and Faith and Faith's song...that was adorable. It's almost inspiring me to write more (except I need to do research first D:)

And then Bono's response! :cute: That was all kinds of adorable.
I feel silly for having Cath'n'Paul propose to each other so awkwardly now :reject: Then again, AIWIY didn't exist back then, and they didn't need a stage. But it works perfectly for Pop.

Oh, Alex and Edge :(

and Larry.

I hate saying goodbye to characters...:(

Faith, Alex, Ryan, even Sam and Lucy maybe, and the rest of Strict Machine (are there more? *blink*), and Grace's!Pop!U2, I shall miss you badly.

Then again, return of MW should be interesting, if that's what you're gonna do next :) Or, really, anything. I need to reread MW though...

I hate saying goodbye to characters...:(

Faith, Alex, Ryan, even Sam and Lucy maybe, and the rest of Strict Machine (are there more? *blink*), and Grace's!Pop!U2, I shall miss you badly.

Then again, return of MW should be interesting, if that's what you're gonna do next :) Or, really, anything. I need to reread MW though...

Yes, I will be going back to MW and going way back to 1992 to write how it all started.

Then I might have a story that will be request only.

1992!

So we'll sort of be passing each other in eras :lol: I'm doing a bit of '91 or '92 for the beginning of No Love Lost, but I'm going to do Pop, and you just did Pop...:hmm: :giggle:

...request only? why?

Sorry I haven't read this one sooner! Second to last- :( But this was AMAZING. Here's a coincidence- I was listening to Not Enough Time a few minutes before reading this chapter... it was weird to read the same lyrics I'd just been hearing.
Proposing onstage with AIWIY= Perfection. There's no other way it could have happened!

Back
Top Bottom